Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 2,781 to 2,800 of 3,426

hybridseed

Almost mid week and we still have no current challenge.... I'm getting shmup score chasing withdrawal symptoms 😷

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

GFoyle

Have been busy with vacation stuff. But like i wrote before, it’s been quiet lately in general.

I don’t have time to take part in next few weeks, so I don’t have preference except I would like GUNBIRD2 to be much later so I could take part too in that one. Maybe donkey Kong in high score mode? Though I have feeling who will win that one...

Also, better make it last until 6th of July

Edited on by GFoyle

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Lroy

I think I fell off a couple of challenges as I'd decided not to buy IKARUGA or any new games for at least a month in June. I'd spent a lot in May and prior to that. Ditto the same reason for the challenge after that, INVERSUS. Same again for the PORTAL table in the latest PINBALL FX 3 challenge.

Think I missed posting a score on GALAGA '88 purely as I didn't find the time to take part that week. Otherwise, I believe I have posted a score for every arcade game we have done since we started this in Jan/Feb.

Currently, the World Cup is in full swing and that has pretty much taken up all my game time. Only happens once every four years and just so happens to have coincided with my rekindled interest in football as a sport - thanks to how much enjoyment I have had from FIFA '18 Manager Mode.

Perhaps, dare I say it, the change from set weekly challenges to longer extended ones might have muddied the water somewhat? Folks not sure what game has been chosen and for how long the challenge set?

That last point is mere speculation, I knew what the challenges were. @Oorwullie does a great job of publishing them on this thread and on the Arcade Leaderboards but just suggesting it may or been a factor (or not).

Long story short, I'm up for the next challenge and I'll take part. If I happen to already own the game, all the better 🍻

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Steveovig

So, is Donkey Kong officially the new challenge game?

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5043-3463

GFoyle

Yeah, I thought DK would be fine as people were asking for it few pages ago (nobody has commented about this though).

I think the weekly cycle is a bit short in the first place. When challenge ends late on friday, the winner might not be always available immediately to select the next game (and I kinda was expecting also the winner to be 'called', like in this last one where I was the only one who posted my score here and I knew others had played as well). Anyway, it wasn't the first time the next game would be chose quite late, which left little time to participate until it was over.

In general, I think 2 week periods would work better because of these reasons, then there would be enough time if the next game is not know immediately. It's probably a bit of a burden for @OorWullie to upkeep those leader boards in this weekly cycle (I think he needs more deputies to help in this!)

Other idea would be to select next 3 games right away and winner of a challenge would always select the a game which comes after the next 2 (so there would be always at least 2 next challenges known beforehand). This would also give some extra time to prepare and winner would have better incentive to choose something they want to play too if they cannot or do not want participate back-to-back challenges (like me). It's possible also to have both, 2 week challenges and this.

I also hope that games which just released were not selected. I think it's just more fun, more balanced and we get more people participating if the game has been out for some time before it's chosen. Some might be lacking funds to buy game immediately, some (like me) would like to play the games casually and for fun before participating in competition and going more hardcore.

I still think that some small summer break would make sense.

GFoyle

CroRock

Ok, GUNBIRD2 is the hardest Psikyo game on Switch IMO. Yes, harder then Dragon Blaze. Playing on normal difficulty is brutal. I can’t past over 200 000 points no matter how I play. Too many bullets which you can’t avoid for Normal settings. On baby settings I can go 1 million.
How are you doing? Or is it just me suck at?!

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

Lroy

@Oorwullie Hope you okay buddy?

Steveovig

@CroRock I can routinely get to Level 3 now but that's about it. My high score is like 230,000 and I don't ever see myself doing a large amount better. Psikyo games, for me, always seem to have a glass ceiling that I'll never break. I'm not amazing at games with tons of bullets and this game pours them on, even at Level 3. I'm not even sure why I play them but I still do, lol.

OorWullie

@Lroy I'm alright mate, cheers for asking. Been a bit stressed out trying to get my business back up and running,not so easy after a 10 month break. I'm getting there. My mind has not been on this thread the past week or so and realise I've fallen behind.I've not been getting notifications from here to my email for some reason.

I feel bad for @Daftbomb He won the challenge, chose the game, I bought the game but there wasn't much feedback on here and then nothing more was said about it on my part. Sorry about that. Not sure what we should do for the next challenge?

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

meppi64

@OorWullie And the legend returns!

Untitled

Glad everything is all-right. Life does get in the way sometimes, does it?
The email thing seems to be widespread. Sometimes it works, a lot of the time it doesn't.

Edited on by meppi64

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

GFoyle

@OorWullie

Hey, it was a good game and I'm glad it was selected, I would have never even tried it otherwise!

Anyway, I wrote my suggestions earlier. The very least I think this DK challenge should last until next week's friday.

GFoyle

Lroy

@OorWullie Great to hear from you bud. Appreciate you're going through a busy and stressful time so thank you for responding at all. Just nice to know you're doing okay, relatively speaking.

No worries about not checking this thread or keeping things turning over as promptly as you usually do. Big ask of us of you and I'm happy to chill my boots until you feel you want to be active again.

Also like I believe @gfoyle said - please ask if you would like any help with the organisation and admin of these weekly/bi-weekly Arcade challenges.

As for the next challenge, I'm cool with it being for a week, two weeks whatever. Or if folks want us to have a summer break for a few weeks. Cool.

Edited on by Lroy

bushidosnail

I like the two week idea, at least during the summer with vacations and all. I've been sort of MIA with work nonsense since Ikaruga myself. Is DK Arcade the game we're doing right now?

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

Steveovig

Donkey Kong is harder than I remember, lol. That was the game that first started my interest in score-based games. I remember first playing it through the GCN Animal Crossing and it was my gateway to shmups.

bezerker99

Donkey Kong, yes!!!

So how does this work? Do we do Hi Score Mode or Caravan Mode? Early/Later/International Version?

Until today, the game displayed my high score at the top of the screen but for some reason it reset. But you can still see the score down below (181,000). That's from the Early Version of the game, btw.

My body is ready!!!

Edited on by bezerker99

RetroGamerAndrew

meppi64 wrote:

The email thing seems to be widespread. Sometimes it works, a lot of the time it doesn't.

@meppi64 Yeah, I'm having the very same problem since... forever it seems, and it's really annoying, sometimes I'm assuming a thread is quiescent, only to find out I'm pages behind instead. Someone should really look into it!

@OorWullie Nice to hear you're well mate! Feel free to ask for help in keeping up the contests, I'll be more than happy to lend you a hand! Speaking of which, I think we really could use a short summer break... you know, between the heap of new releases, ongoing World Cup matches and (hopefully) summer vacations I bet a good portion of the usual player-base (i'm including myself) would not participate.
Again, let's discuss, here or on Discord

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

GFoyle

@bezerker99 Hi-score mode. As for the version, I guess International if that is the most common version.

I definitely would think summer break after the DK challenge would be good thing (winner still would select the one which is next after the break). Maybe continue in August or start of September at the latest? Besides summer vacation, I at least have limited time for games and there are tons of games in backlog to play as well.

Good luck with the DK challenge, I hope it get's good participation! I recommend posting some scores during the challenge period to keep things active.

GFoyle

nitake92

Sine Mora ex is apparently on sales at $12 on the e shop. Is the game fun and worth the money in your opinion since I already bought Danmaku on sales recently and haven't even bought ikaruga yet so I'm not hurting for a shmup to play

Edited on by nitake92

nitake92

GFoyle

@CroRock It's hard alright... not sure is it harder than Dragon Blaze or Strikers 2, need to play a lot more. All of those are super hard in any case and require a lot of hours to get somewhere (in normal difficult).

I used to also play using easier difficulties initially, but I'm not sure does it actually even help as it doesn't really prepare you that well for the normal difficulty enemy, bullet patterns, which you need to learn and remember to do well. When I'm playing these games on easier difficulty, it always feel's wrong somehow. I think those other difficulty levels have been more like afterthought, which sometimes harms the game balance, flow and feel.

GFoyle

Daftbomb

@nitake92 Sine Mora is definitely worth grabbing at that price if you like shooters. It isnt in the same league as Ikaruga in terms of level design, but it is stunning graphically (very smooth framerate) and highly varied; plenty of bosses to fight with lots of modes and character set-ups.

And yes, it is fun 😃

Daftbomb

Switch Friend Code: SW-8258-7374-5699 | My Nintendo: daftbomb

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic