Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 2,681 to 2,700 of 2,883

hybridseed

@wasilewski It's such a confusing game right?!? I can mostly keep the chain going til around half way through stage 1, then I just try to destroy everything and stay alive! It's just too confusing to try to keep the chain going after a certain point for me, was hoping to get a couple million for the challenge but think I won't beat my current score of 1.7...

Thanks @OorWullie for sharing that video, amazing!

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

meppi64

@masterLEON
Oh man those are some great pics.
When I see something like that, my mind always immediately tries to fill in the story of each and every item and how you got them as well as how you felt when you played it for the first time.

Unbelievable how you were able to rescue that Mushihimesama Futari disc! That looked like a complete gonner to me!

One game that pops out for me, which might sound a bit strange since no one seems to remember it, or doesn't look back on it fondly, is Tempest X3 on PSone.
I LOVE that game! Simply perfect.
It was also one of the games that I picked up from my local Game Mania shop at the time where the shopkeeper was baffled why I was so excited for it, not to mention why I would even want to pay full price for it on release. lol
Same with Raider Project. He even tried to talk me out of it to get me to buy whatever hot 3D game was out at the time. Probably something like Medieval or something. I would have nothing of that though. ;P

Those pics inspired me to get together some games from my Dreamcast, Saturn and PC-Engine.
I decided to just go with shooting games for now since that is at least somewhat on topic.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

If people are interested I might have to do the same for PSone, PS2 and MegaDrive as well sometimes.

It's also probably quite obvious to see that when I see someone mention how the Sega Saturn was a worthless system, or compare it to the 3DO, Jaguar or Virtual Boy, their credibility is instantly shot for me.

Edited on by meppi64

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

mauhlin12

@RetroGamerAndrew I noticed you were logged into your Switch and it looks like your activity log survived, did your save files make it?

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

mauhlin12

@meppi64 That's a beautiful collection! I also had Thunder Force V and Radiant Silvergun imports for Saturn. My dad made business trips to Japan once a year so I'd give him a list and some cash and he'd bring games back. For a little over a year the Saturn was my only current for the time system, didn't get N64 and PS1 until later. Sega of America abandoned the Saturn early in its life cycle so I had to look to Japan for new games. Sold off my whole collection around 2001 though and still haven't picked up a Saturn again.

mauhlin12

masterLEON

@meppi64 I'd be down for seeing whatever you got Every system has it's redeeming gems! And Saturn is a 2D beast!

I also see a Space Fantasy Zone case there, I thought that didn't come out?

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

RetroGamerAndrew

@mauhlin12 I thought I made a post yesterday night about it but it seems it never actually made it to the forum
Anyway... yes they did! My activity log and save files are intact. I feel SO relieved right now... phew

Now I'm finally back in business

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

mauhlin12

@RetroGamerAndrew Nice! I've heard many horror stories about people losing hundreds of hours of progress due to getting their Switch repaired and losing their save files so it's good to hear you got lucky. Just in time for the DK Rabbids DLC too!

mauhlin12

RetroGamerAndrew

@mauhlin12 yeah I've heard 'em too... let's hope I won't need another repair before cloud saves come, I may not be this lucky next time
Man, you just reminded me that Rabbids DLC is coming... jeez, I'll never manage to get on par with all those late June-July releases...

RetroGamerAndrew

Lroy

Who won the PINBALL FX3 challenge on Adventure Land? @daftbomb was leading last time I checked?

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast ๐Ÿ•น |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot ๐Ÿš€|
Retro Gamer

Agent721

Iโ€™m finally hitting up Ikaruga and put up a score. Iโ€™ve only cleared 1 million, as itโ€™s very hard to keep the chains going. What an intense yet amazing shooter. Iโ€™ll keep trying to up my score until deadline day and read up on everyoneโ€™s strategy.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast ๐Ÿ•น
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot ๐Ÿš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721

OorWullie

That Daemon X Machina looks unbelievably good. Watched the trailer a few times now . Online multiplayer mech battles with destructable environments and those graphics will be incredible. The developer has a lot of experience with these kind of games and with Nintendo funding it, it could turn out to be something really special. Just wish it was coming sooner.

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Mr Mustard ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ
SW-6101-8403-1640

๐Ÿ•น๏ธ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards ๐Ÿ•น๏ธ

RetroGamerAndrew

@OorWullie I agree, easily one of the highlights of the direct for me together with the new Fire Emblem

RetroGamerAndrew

hybridseed

@OorWullie @RetroGamerAndrew Yes, Daemon X Machina looks phat, and the new Fire Emblem looks amazing too, shame neither are out this year! Was tempted to buy Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo for a mech fix but haven't yet, anyone played it?

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

meppi64

mauhlin12 wrote:

@meppi64 That's a beautiful collection! I also had Thunder Force V and Radiant Silvergun imports for Saturn. My dad made business trips to Japan once a year so I'd give him a list and some cash and he'd bring games back. For a little over a year the Saturn was my only current for the time system, didn't get N64 and PS1 until later. Sega of America abandoned the Saturn early in its life cycle so I had to look to Japan for new games. Sold off my whole collection around 2001 though and still haven't picked up a Saturn again.

I couldn't imagine being without my Saturn to be honest. Way too many all time favourites for me on that system to not have one at my fingertips at all times.
And not even all shooters. Sega Rally 1995, NiGHTS into Dreams, Fighters Megamix, Baku Baku Animal, Necronomicon, Bubble Symphony, Mizukabu Daibouken, Elevator Action 1 and Returns, etc.

masterLEON wrote:

@meppi64 I'd be down for seeing whatever you got Every system has it's redeeming gems! And Saturn is a 2D beast!

I also see a Space Fantasy Zone case there, I thought that didn't come out?

I'll try and see what I can do one of these days.

That Space Fantasy Zone is a reproduction as it didn't get released officially.

Lroy wrote:

Who won the PINBALL FX3 challenge on Adventure Land? @daftbomb was leading last time I checked?

Damnit, I missed it again, didn't I? By not checking the in-game leaderboards...

Anyway, a bit of good news. Next week will see the release of Gunbird 2.

Oh and every single one of you better buy the new Trials game when it releases next February!
The competition and chaos for that one should be legendary.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

GFoyle

Gunbird 2 next week at least in Japan, I guess Europe 1-2 weeks later like usually. Finally... though I don't have prior experience of this one (either) and I guess it's the most widely known of the Psikiyo shmups so I'm not too hurry to be in any challenge for it. Great to get that one though, I think I will enjoy at least similar to Dragon Blaze.

It sure looks like getting good score in Ikaruga before really enjoying it without that aspect seems to kill the fun for me. It's really hard for me to even continue playing if a screw up the opening part, restart is like a reflex. In a way the chaining this is the fun parts of the game, it's just too unforgiving for me and annoying how it punishes if I forgot to take my finger off the shoot button 1 millisecond too late and shoot the wrong colour!

Trying to improve in Dragon Blaze and man it's hard and slow, so many variations to learn because of the ranking system and random level order. I cannot get out the score-mode thinking in that one either, but it doesn't bother me as much because I can make a mistake and still be able to get good score (mistake in scoring, dying too soon is automatic restart of course). At least I'm learning some of those boss patterns better and can achieve tech-bonuses in all of them more often than before. I have long way to go though, like getting out of this bad habit of shooting the dragon and then pulling back instead of going forward / staying closer to stop.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Agent721

@GFoyle

Thatโ€™s how I felt on Danmaku 3. The game system sucked the fun out of it for me, but strangely, I really enjoy this one.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast ๐Ÿ•น
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot ๐Ÿš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721

Lroy

@meppi64 Major kudos for the BAKU BAKU ANINAL nod. Love that game. Really hope that is one of the SEGA AGES releases.

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast ๐Ÿ•น |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot ๐Ÿš€|
Retro Gamer

meppi64

@Lroy It certainly deserves it as it's been passed over time and time again.
Seems like everyone has forgotten it even exists...

meppi64

CW13

@meppi64 I feel the same way about my Dreamcast! Couldn't be without it, even tho I got it towards the end of its short life cycle for $99 in 2001 at Toys R' US. The collection still grows to this day! What a system its been for me. My favorite!

CW13

Switch Friend Code: SW-3787-0663-7007 | 3DS Friend Code: 0104-0625-3826 | Twitter:

meppi64

@CW13 Yeah, the Dreamcast is a very similar system. The only thing that holds it back is that it only had a good 2 year life. If it would have gotten a healthy 5-6 year lifespan, the system would have been legendary, no doubt about it.
Not that there's a lack of absolute classics on it as it is.
I was lucky enough to decide to buy every new Sega system on day one, after been 2 years late on the Saturn. Didn't want to make that mistake ever again. Sadly, the Dreamcast ended up being Sega's last system.
But those few short years were magical, that's for sure. Tons of perfect arcade ports as well as a bunch of incredible original games. I couldn't actually keep up with the releases back then, which reminds me of the Switch today. It felt like just about every week there would be a must have that came out, it's crazy.
I have actually been looking into grabbing GunSpike for the Dreamcast this past week, as that is one of the few games that has always eluded me for some reason. And being a Psikyo games, it's strange to me even that I haven't been able to pick it up yet...

Talking about Switch and shoot em ups, this is a nice surprise:

meppi64

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic