Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 3,493

Lroy

@hybridseed Yeah, go ahead. What game was you thinking of picking had you won? STRIKERS 1945 II right? 😜

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

GFoyle

I'm not sure exactly how much I put into the Tengai challenge, at least 10h during the that week (got carried away a bit, especially when I noticed I can actually do well). My log says something like 20h I think, but some of that is idle time and casual gaming before and after the challenge. I would think that most who do well in the challenges also put more hours in. At least these Psikyo games seems to be such that you need to learn to remember the levels on some level to do well, you cannot just react as the bullets often come is such speed.

Interest to see what game is selected next as well.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

hybridseed

@Lroy Haha, no way! I was going to steer away from the intensity of Psikyo and choose Shock Troopers 2 as I love the original and have never played 2!

To answer your first question, I've only been involved in 3 of the weekly tournaments, had a good crack at Danmaku and did ok, didn't spend anywhere near the amount time I'd have liked with Tengai but must have put ten hours plus into Strikers, obviously I really wanted the win but loved the competition!

I'd like to participate every week depending on the game, and put at least 5 hours into aiming somewhere in the middle of the leaderboard.

These new rules are very daunting though, I only made it to stage 5 a couple of times on my first credit!

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

hybridseed

@GFoyle Yes, absolutely, I improved vastly yesterday, breaking 500k every go, learning the enemies and bosses shot patterns and learning when to bomb...

I found myself watching the waves of bullets separately, knowing when those quicker shots are coming is a must!

wasilewski

@Lroy If I'm working I only try on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I would maybe play for a total of 3 or 4 hours on the challenge game and would also play other games in this time too.

I normally work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and don't have time for Switch on those days.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Zkibu

@Lroy This was my second challenge. I am guessing that about 5 hours are my average playing time weekly. I want to be careful not to burn myself too quickly out for one game. With these arcade games I've noticed that when my frustration level rises it's good time to quit and play something else like Zelda. My record came after I had a one day break and tried once. Suddenly I had the energy to really focus and be aware of the bullet patterns.

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

Lroy

@hybridseed Cool, I actually quite like SHOCK TROOPERS 2 although I've a feeling that sentiment isn't shared by all here?

In fact, when I first discovered both games within a short span of each other. I actually preferred the second game?! I'd say, my fave now is number 1 but it isn't as Night and Day as some would have you believe.

Anyway, yep. I'm up for taking part in SHOCK TROOPERS 2 whenever that gets picks. I already own it on Switch 😎

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

hybridseed

@Zkibu Same as me, when you're getting stressed it's a good time to play something more relaxing, I switched to Oddysey and I Am Setsuna a couple of times!!

@Lroy I don't own the sequel, have just over Β£15 in my wallet at the moment and would have bought it, was thinking about saving that towards the Korg app that's coming next week but that's gonna have to wait until after payday anywayz!!

Looking forward to see what @masterLEON chooses for us this week!πŸ˜‰

Edited on by hybridseed

hybridseed

@wasilewski I've recently had my hours cut and only work Wednesday and Thursday's at the moment... Which sucks for my bank balance but is great for my game time!

What do you do?

Edited on by hybridseed

masterLEON

Thanks guys! Sorry I'm late, I just woke up. I was putting some extra hours last night into Strikers for a better 1 credit score (and to finally record some footage). 400+k was all I could manage, so that'll have to wait for another time. And I just picked up Dragon Blaze so I was messing around with that, too. Such a tiny hitbox in that game, very CAVE-like.

I've been combing through my games and wish list and I came up with Sengoku 3, caravan mode again. I know a lot of folks were waiting a long time for the game itself to come out. And after coming home from a sort of stressful 3 week long project for work, I just want to beat up some dudes, LOL!

@Lroy About an hour a day on the weekdays, potentially 1-5 hours on Saturday and Sunday when other plans don't show up.

Edited on by masterLEON

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

masterLEON

It also occurred to me, now that we have a bunch of new people, we should field an informal poll again on who here has Namco Museum?

It's pricey for those who don't have it, but there are 11(?) games in there that we can pull from for one price.

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

wasilewski

@hybridseed I do administration work in a hospital. I work compressed hours so I do my working week over 3 days - 8am - 8pm.

What about you?

@masterLEON I haven't really got into Dragon Blaze, although I have only played it via MAME. What character do you use?

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

masterLEON

@wasilewski For now, I've settled on Rob. I like his shot spread, bombs, and Magic attack. The game does put a lot of focus on collecting gold coins, therefore more dragon attacks. And also that one-hit K.O. Technical Bonus on the boss. So I think I really should be using someone faster, like Quaid or Ian because their dragons can return quicker; there seems to be a direct relation between flying speed and return speed.

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

Zkibu

@masterLEON Sengoku 3 seems like an awesome game. Totally up for that one. I also have the Namco Museum.

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

hybridseed

@wasilewski I drive a minibus, taking elderly people on days out, very rewarding job and I get a few hours to play Switch☺

So what games are included on Namco Museum?

masterLEON

@hybridseed Ah, Pac-Man Vs. is in there, so that throws that out. So that makes 10 games to choose from.

Pac-Man
Galaga
Galaga '88
Dig Dug
The Tower of Druaga
Sky Kid
Rolling Thunder
Rolling Thunder 2
Splatterhouse
Tank Force

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

bushidosnail

I don't have the Namco Museum, but wouldn't be opposed to getting it if it came up in the challenge.

I'm going to sit this week's one out, not really into beat em ups, but good luck to everyone! I'm going to spend some time working on my Strikers scores

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

AgentLA

@masterLEON

I don’t own it but I can buy it if we pick one of those games.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

OorWullie

@masterLEON Sengoku 3 is a great pick.I bought it soon after it came out and had a few runs and thought it was not bad but then on another run it really clicked with me and now I think it's probably the best beat-em-up I've ever played. The level of control you have over your character and the various moves each one has compared to other beat-em-ups really is amazing.

The Sengoku 3 High Score Challenge is now open.

I'll post a score shortly to get us started.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic