Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,841 to 1,860 of 2,836

wasilewski

I'm easy either way, but I'll hold back posting any scores until the rules are decided.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Agent721

@GFoyle

I agree with GFoyle here as the rules were posted clearly. However, If we truly want to have it be like an arcade, then it’s clearly one coin, three lives and you’re done.

I’m OK either way as I enjoy the competition and the discussion that ensue.

I vote that since we already started we keep playing this week’s choice as originally intended, with two continues, and then we can go hard core retro next challenge.

Edited on by Agent721

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721

GFoyle

Agent721 wrote:

@GFoyle

I agree with GFoyle here as the rules were posted clearly. However, If we truly want to have it be like an arcade, then it’s clearly one coin, three lives and you’re done.

It's been probably 30 years or so since I last time touched actual arcade machine, was it really so that you had to start from beginning with each credit in these games (I'm not talking about score only now) ?

Anyway, I guess the arcade games were designed so that they kept you feeding more and more coins and one credit didn't take too long in gaming time. Of course it's more authentic like that,, but I hope this is just not only nostalgic trip, people want to enjoy themselves and not all enjoy such brutal difficulty and challenge there is with just 1 credit. These Psikyo are especially nasty in that regard as they get more and difficult the better you do (how long you survive, how many lives left, how many power ups) + has random level orders and other "random" elements to throw you off (and make you feed it with more coins).

I fully get it that there are people participating this who are quite hardcore in this regard and enjoy this aspect the most, but I think the rules would be better to be such that also those aren't like that can get more out of it.

One option/idea is to have same game for two weeks/two challenges, first week with normal, 2 extra credit rules and then second with 1 credit rule (you can reset you scores from the game settings for this). People who play in both, have the change to get to know the game better on first week and probably then also have better change for achieving some success in the 1 credit challenge. What do you think?

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

OorWullie

How about we leave this challenge open for 2 weeks and have 2 separate leaderboards, one with default settings and one with single continue scores. Maybe I could open the Tengai challenge again as well for single continue scores to run alongside it. Then in 2 weeks we'll have 2 final challenge leaderboards for the Psikyo games as well as open leaderboards.

How does that sound?

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Lroy

@OorWullie Like a real headache for you but clearly some folk here have much, much stronger opinions than I on how this should be done.

I'll go with and support whatever you decide is for the best. All in good fun 👍

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

DashKappei

To me credit feeding is a huge turn off.
If this is the ARCADE SHMUP Challenges thread then for runs the rules are clear:
1 player/standard lives/extras/arcade difficulty/no continue.
If this is your own new spin on the canon way, Nintendolife’s Own Arcade Challenges, then obviously you can do whatever you prefer and change on a game-by-game basis. I don’t think splitting leaderboards would be a good idea, problem is that Zerodiv’s ports already see less competition simply by having no online leaderboards and few people bothering to post scores/screens (I’ve been guilty of this myself). I’d say let’s do a poll (yes or no, please don’t say “whatever is fine” cause it doesn’t help us), but if I’m honest I know that I’m not likely to play the competition if “continues-YES” wins and it sucks cause I love Psikio’s catalog. Sure, I’ll still play casually and enjoy reading the thread but won’t participate, it just ain’t fun to me: I’m 40 and enjoyed reminiscing of the old arcade days with you guys, credit feeding goes against my whole being, it sends shivers down my back LMAO
•••••
UNLESS we do the Challenges with the credits-YES (although only for Tengai and this one since @OorWullie didn’t know of the score digits/credits correlation, next one would be standard shmup rules) BUT have the OPEN leaderboards with just 1cc.

So whoever won previously and will win this, has done it under this specific challenge’s rules, while the OPEN leaderboards will work as usual.
What do you think?
•••••

Either way, this thread is still golden, great work and great players

Edited on by DashKappei

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

mauhlin12

I'll play by whatever rules the group decide to play by. I don't feel that strongly either way, but if I had to choose I would go with 1cc no continues.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

OorWullie

OK that sounds good to me.

We complete this challenge with the rules as they are.

The Strikers 1945 open leaderboard shall be for single credit runs only.

Future challenges are single credit runs.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

mauhlin12

@OorWullie Aye! Also thanks for all your work setting this up and updating the leader boards and such.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Agent721

@OorWullie

Yes, thanks for doing all this work on behalf of the group!

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721

meppi64

@DashKappei Works for me.
And I couldn't agree more on absolutely everything else that you said as well, even if I tried.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

OorWullie

@mauhlin12 @Agent721 Cheers guys.

New High Score

Just had a go at Steredenn. Never made it past this boss before and this was the closest I've come to taking her out. 1 more round of rockets would have finished her off and shot me right up the leaderboard but nope, I blew it.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

wasilewski

@OorWullie how do you embed your Twitter links like that?

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Lroy

OorWullie wrote:

OK that sounds good to me.

We complete this challenge with the rules as they are.

The Strikers 1945 open leaderboard shall be for single credit runs only.

Future challenges are single credit runs.

Right. @Oorwullie has spoken. Let's get back to the games 👍

I'll post images of my best 'default settings' score on STRIKERS 1945 for this week's challenge and my best 1cc score for the Open Leaderboard later in the week.

Thanks to all again, who take part in these challenges and just as importantly - take the time to read and post in this thread. Love the community we have quickly built up around the Switch Arcade library. Has increased my enjoyment of the system tenfold.

Have a great day all 🍻

Edited on by Lroy

Retro Gamer

RetroGamerAndrew

I've been thinking about it and I decided to opt out from this one, as I suspect a good slice of the player-base won't take part to the competition under current rules. Please don't consider my current best score for leaderboard purposes.
Will get back next week for my arcade fix and to see what's going on.

GLHF everybody

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew Now, now. Come on, tell the truth. It's because the sublime MARIO + RABBIDS KINGDOM BATTLE has got its hooks into you. I keep tabs on your activity logs you lot 😉

Seriously, that is one fantastic game. Actually, my favourite 'new release' title on Switch so far. Of course, ODYSSEY, SPLATOON 2, MK8 DELUXE are all phenomenal games but I was just so surprised at how much the core strategy mechanics clicked with me on MARIO + RABBIDS. Put 50 plus hrs into the story mode and am relishing the chance to pick it up again once the DK character and world DLC drops.

Retro Gamer

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy
Man... that game delivers. I'm literally GLUED to it! So proud it's been developed by UBISOFT Milan guys. I was suprised myself, but when I was about to buy my Switch one of my friends told me "Listen, Zelda and Mario Odissey are both spectacular AAA games of course, but if you want something differente you really HAVE to play Mario+RABBIDS... it's easily my favourite game on the platform, and that says it all", which of course took me by surprise... I was a little dubious because while I like tactical combat (and I have played my fair share of FF tactics, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and the like) I'm still mostly a "brainless action" guy. Pulled the trigger at 39 euros and it turned out to be one of my best purchases!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew Sing it paisan! I totally agree with that sentiment of the game feeling different and fresh. I know it borrows from the likes of XCOM etc. but it really does offer a unique kind of experience on a Nintendo platform. Those Milan peeps done us all proud 👏

The game also scratches my strategy itch until FIRE EMBLEM Switch. So, so pumped for that one.

Retro Gamer

Zkibu

This might be an old question but how do you post a picture from Twitter here?

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic