Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 3,493

Lroy

@masterLEON I'm as guilty as the next man of not posting pics. I use my phone on this forum and don't have a Twitter or FaceBook account. Hence it seems to be a massive ball ache to do.

I do want to get Psikyo games and other non-Hamster titles included in these challenges though. So guess I'll have to figure out a way to do it.

Also, the sooner we do a game without Hamster's online Leaderboard or Caravan the better as we need to get used to setting the parameters of how to play these games under what agreed set conditions. E.g. Difficulty, credits, etc.

Wish all the games did have online leaderboards and Caravan mode. Much more convienent

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Lroy

I getting a hankering to try DIG-DUG or PAC-MAN or any of the NAMCO MUSEUM games as well for this challenge. They have online leaderboards and plenty of people playing the games the world over. Imagine competition will be fierce to get the very top scores but could still be fun competing together in our small group?

Edited on by Lroy

DashKappei

Finally!!

Untitled

MAYFLASH Magic NS and Hori stand to finally use my arcade sticks and TATE mode in tabletop mode, love it!
I still can't beat the 2nd boss on time tho.

Btw, Moon Patrol is out today, that'd be a great one for a challenge!

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

meppi64

@DashKappei You know the next step will be you tearing your big tv off the wall, putting it on it's side and sitting on the ground in a corner of the house, oblivious as to anything else going on around you, right?

Also, I know it's not official, but come at me with your Moon Patrol skills!

Untitled

ps. Which stand is that btw? I could use one for when I'm playing Pinball arcade in bed.

Edited on by meppi64

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

OorWullie

@DashKappei Superb, great set up. It's just a matter of time until I buy a Joystick. I've already got the arcade cabinet and I've got a TATE mode stand.All I'm short of is an arcade Joystick. I was thinking of making my own TATE arcade cabinet. Using the template of the one I bought on some nice wood but making it narrower obviously. I'd have to leave enough of a gap at either side for the air vents though. My mate has all the good tools to make it possible. Just finding the time.

I bought Moon Patrol as well as Sol Divide and Bleed. Just played 10 minutes of Moon Patrol there and I love it. Pretty sure I had that on the 2600,either that or I played it on my uncles. Either way, it's been around 35 years since I played it. Great game.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

meppi64

@OorWullie A tip for when you actually go through with making an arcade cab.
Don't make a TATE only one. Mount the TV on a wooden board that is the same dimensions vertically as it is horizontally.
Then perhaps, put in some kind of rail system.
That way, it should be relatively easy to open it up and slide out the TV, turn it 90Β° and slide it back in.
This way it won't only be perfect for vertical shoot em ups, or even pinball games, but also for just about everything else that's horizontal.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

OorWullie

@meppi64 As much as I would love to do that, it's just not viable. I've got to fly back to Thailand in 2 weeks and I may move to Vietnam or Laos next year so anything I have has to be easily moved

I was just meaning one for the Switch to slot inside like the horizontal one I have now. I really like it, it's what I'm going to use as a tabletop stand from now on, the viewing angle is perfect and it can be charged in the cabinet.

SW-6101-8403-1640

meppi64

@OorWullie
Ah, I completely misunderstood you there!
Didn't realise it was for the switch itself.

I have to say that if I would be in the position to move to far east Asia, I'd most likely never ever return to Belgium myself. It just never felt like home here, especially with how most people are. Very cynical, hostile, jealous and vindictive. Not all of course, but a good part of the ones I come into contact with day in and day out. It starts to grind after a while.
If I ever win Win for Life or Euromillions or something, I'm outa here.

meppi64

Lroy

@OorWullie Not to derail the thread too much and feel free not to answer but what took you to Thailand?

How long you lived there, do you also have a home in the U.K. and what's pulling you to Vietnam or Laos?

Just curious as whilst I have travelled to China for an extended period, I could never imagine living out there (admittedly, I've no experience whatsoever of what Thailand or many places in East Asia are like).

Like @Meppi64 I'd move my family out of my country of birth in a heartbeat as soon as my lottery numbers came in. But I suspect somewhere like Australia or New Zealand would be my chosen destination. All day dream and no reality of course, lol!

Anyway, apologies if I'm prying.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

@DashKappei Wow, that's one lovely looking arcade stick. What one is that again?

RetroGamerAndrew

masterLEON wrote:

@Lroy I'm leaning towards Danmaku Unlimited 3, one of the Strikers games, or Gunbird. The only thing is since they're not HAMSTER games, we'd all need to upload screenshots before the deadline. A good number of us have been able to upload and link pics since the beginning, but I haven't seen everyone, namely the newer players. So I'd feel better knowing if everyone participating can do that. I'll type the question in bold:

If the next game requires uploading and linking a screenshot as proof of play, would that be ok? We can assist if you need help doing so.

@masterLEON I'm perfectly fine with it!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

BTW what's up with notifications for this thread, I'm watching it and never ever get a mail alert... ugh

RetroGamerAndrew

GrailUK

@masterLEON I don't have a problem uploading a screenie

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

@Lroy It's a long story but I enjoy telling it so here goes.

I left Scotland 18 years ago now,it would have been longer but I met a girl which delayed my move. I've known from a young age, probably my early teens that my future wasn't in Scotland. As all my mates were putting their names down for houses I never did. I just didn't know where or what I wanted to do. I had a couple of mates who worked out in the Netherlands when I was in my late teens and were getting good money so that was something that stuck in my mind. I was a bit of a party animal in my youth though, to put it mildly. I met that girl at a place I worked and was with her for a couple of years, plans were being made for a future I didn't want a part of, it was always in my mind to escape but the weeks and months were flying by and I wasn't sure if it would ever happen. I knew other older guys who said they wished they had gone overseas when they were young so I knew if I didn't do when I had the drive to it may never happen. Things weren't going well in my relationship and after one argument too many I said that's it, I'm off. I left alone for the Amsterdam the next day with far too much belongings and 1 phone number of a Dutch guy who could possibly get me work in a greenhouse.

Before then I had only been overseas once, to France with my parents when I was 14,so it was one hell of a culture shock. After a few weeks living in a hostel in central Amsterdam, I finally got a job from that guy. Cutting Orchids in a greenhouse and living with 20 others from around the world in Den Haag. Got my good mate from home over and for 3 months I had the time of my life. The work suddenly ended though and me and my mate were kicked out our abode and robbed of our salary. Didn't want to ask our parents to bail us out so we slept in Schipol Airport for 1 week haha before facing facts and calling home for help.

Came home but still wasn't deterred, I was planning my next escape. After 2 days at home, to my disbelief I got a letter about a job I had applied for months previously. It was for a holiday rep in France and after a successful interview I left after 2 weeks. Done that for 2 seasons and was an unbelievable experience. Met a lot of great people, some of whom had been to Thailand and told some amazing stories about the place so that's what planted that seed into my mind. At the end of my second repping season I returned to the Netherlands and made contacts that would end up seeing me work there with 2 mates from home for near 7 years.

During that time we went on a lot of trips around Europe. One of which was to Budapest, where I met an American Norwegian girl. An absolute stunner who was the cleverest person I'd ever met. After some time of keeping in touch we became a couple. I'd travel to the States to meet her, she'd travel to Netherland to meet me. Was an amazing time. I was punching so far above my weight it was hard to believe. Daughter of a multi millionaire. Was like living in a movie. When she finished Uni she moved over to live with me,hoping to find work. We got a new house together, got engaged and everything was perfect. Except she couldn't find a suitable job. This went on for months before she got offered a hard to turn down job in Norway. She took it and we went back to the long distance relationship again and it started to wear us down. Eventually we mutually agreed to go our separate ways, it wasn't going to work. I was broken hearted and really unhappy. Didn't know what to do. Then Thailand popped into my head.

I booked a 2 week holiday and enjoyed it so much I booked a 2 month one for 3 months later while I was at the airport returning home. Around this time the 2008 recession was kicking in and the company I worked for was really struggling. It was a case of when not if it was going to come to an end. Luckily for me, during my 2 month holiday I met an Irish guy who lived out there, we became good friends and he convinced me to make the move. He'd show me how to make money online. I returned back to my job and was lucky to be getting 2 or 3 days work a week. After a few months we got the inevitable news that it was over,after 6 years of working there. That was my cue to make Thailand my next move. I went out on holiday 1 more time to figure some stuff out, worked a crappy job in Scotland for 4 months to save some money then left for Thailand in 2010 and have been there ever since. Life is great, too easy and I'm in complete control of my own destiny.

Laos is an option for me as it's close to Thailand, I've been there a few times now for renewing my visa plus I was in a relationship with a Laos girl who I'm still good friends with. More importantly I can keep my business going from there. Vietnam I've never been too but have friends who have. I don't really know much else about it other than it's a beautiful country with great people and again, I can run my business from there. It would be a bold move to just go there without familiarizing myself with the place first but I kind of like that. I love the thrill of just doing stuff without worrying about the what ifs. It gets harder the older you get though. But my thinking is if it doesn't work out I can always return to Thailand.

My life story right there haha. Hope I didn't bore you.

Edited on by OorWullie

SW-6101-8403-1640

Lroy

@OorWullie Wow, what an amazing anecdote of life experience. Thanks for sharing mate and naturally, wish you the very best of luck. You're a braver man than most and all power to you for that.

Edit: we're assembling quite a group for our imaginary barcade. All the past weekly arcade challenge games lining the wall and @Meppi64 regailing us with his personal history of video games and consoles. Now your escapades in love, work and life. 🍻

Edited on by Lroy

RetroGamerAndrew

@OorWullie well that's a really cool story… you've been down quite a long and winding road. But at the end of a day the one thing thats really important is that you're happy now!

Back to MS1: did I tell you I REQLLY REALLY REALLY hate the waiting time at the end of the level... Just finished level 2 with a good 320K but only 5 sec left... Numbers were about to roll out but time was up so my bonus didn't get recorded... Ugh, this sucks

RetroGamerAndrew

AgentLA

Metal Slug final score: 338,500, 31st.

Fun game, but getting a high score really depends on getting those stuffed bears. IMO, it’s a matter of speed.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

AgentLA

@OorWullie

Whoa, you’ve been through a lot but found your way. That’s great. You never know where life will bring you.

Cheers!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

AgentLA

@masterLEON

I’m a-ok with that!

wasilewski

Untitled

this is my final score.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic