Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 3,493

masterLEON

@wasilewski Thanks for sharing those! The #1 guy knows what's up. With subtitles turned on, he explains the ins and outs of a lot of hidden points. Great tips on hitting the top of the DANGER barrel and the turrets of the green tanks on the waterfall with the Slug's cannon. And knifing on the ground, and on prisoners, slows you down (but you still have to do it, though). Unfortunately, like me, he prays the 50,000 point bonuses come out as well. Good thing I only have to tweak my run a little bit to get closer to his score. Bad thing it takes me forever to get the execution down and to break habits, lol!

@GrailUK Knifing the crate sometimes gets me the teddy, though. Being in the air, maybe there's a connection. I sometimes jump, sometimes I'm on the ground already. I'll have to try it out.

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

GrailUK

@masterLEON I might be wrong lol. But it's worth a go.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

wasilewski

@masterLEON I never thought about turning on subtitles - good find!

I also discovered a Japanese Metal Slug site with some tips on it -
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js...

that video with the annotations turned on covers everything, but this site is a good one to look at none the less. Google's translation doesn't make sense in some places though. Still, maybe someone will gain some benefit from it.

Edited on by wasilewski

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

DashKappei

Ugh.
Time to watch me some videos/strats

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

RetroGamerAndrew

Mmmmh... I'm barely scratching 380k. Need to slow down and plan the run more carefully.
Getting to level 2 as soon as possible is the key... actually I'm losing 10-15 seconds compared to the above videos and that keeps me from reaching/killing level 2 boss, therefore skipping the end level bonus.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

Not managed much time on this one this week. Really like the game but what runs I've done have kind of pettered out score wise. I'll watch the Caravan videos posted above and give it another push in the coming days just to see if I can crack the Top 100.

Already looking forward to the next game πŸ‘

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

AgentLA

I started playing this last night and I’m around 180,000. Seems that there is lots of luck involved in getting a high score. Ill check out the vids above to squeeze out a higher score.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

AgentLA

I will add that I really dig the graphics. It’s been nice discovering all these NEO GEO games via our weekly challenge. I’ve never played them much before, so it’s like discovering a brand new retro console.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Lroy

@Agent721 Remember to grab that Retro Gamer Bookazine digitally from their App. It's like Β£3.99 and has loads of coverage of many of the games.

Jbs-Dad

@Lroy finding this one a bit of a slog, never been a big fan of it. Top 100 I would be happy with, I'm sure you will break top 100 Lroy😎

Edited on by Jbs-Dad

Switch code: sw-0773-7462-9023

Lroy

wasilewski wrote:

Here are some Metal Slug high scoring Caravan videos:

This guy seems to be number one...

How do I view these videos with the English description on? I need all the help I can get.

Currently at 104 on Global Leaderboards with a score of 241, 640.

I just want to break into the Top 100
and then I'm calling it a day with this one.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

Small victories! I have cracked the Top 100 on METAL SLUG.
My best score is 254, 010.
Currently sitting at 87th on the Global Leaderboards. I'm content with that relatively lowly score based on minimal time played on this one this week. Thanks all and good luck.

Edited on by Lroy

GrailUK

@Lroy Oh well done mate. I need a tad more practice before I hardcore it lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

masterLEON

@Lroy Congrats, man! I'm sure you can push it up with this guys video!

I can only watch it w/English subtitles on my computer, but you have to turn on CC (Closed captioning) and auto-translate. Click the CC button near the bottom right of the video. Then the click settings, click on "subtitles/CC(1) Japanese >", click on "Auto-translate", then choose English from the list.

I'm not sure at what point YouTube stopped the ability to add captions, but I'm sure glad this guy made the cutoff

Edited on by masterLEON

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

Lroy

masterLEON wrote:

@Lroy I can only watch it w/English subtitles on my computer, but you have to turn on CC (Closed captioning) and auto-translate. Click the CC button near the bottom right of the video. Then the click settings, click on "subtitles/CC(1) Japanese >", click on "Auto-translate", then choose English from the list.

I'm not sure at what point YouTube stopped the ability to add captions, but I'm sure glad this guy made the cutoff

I'm trying to view them on my phone to no avail. Never mind, I managed to crack the Top 100. Kind of the minimum target I know but hey, some weeks it'll have to do.

If I get a chance to view the videos on my laptop before the deadline, I may have another run. Otherwise, I think I'll sit the rest of this one out and leave it to you pros.

@masterleon You're currently top. What games are on your shortlist for next week's challenge?

Lroy

@GrailUK Thank you mate. I noticed you were just above me on the Leaderboards. Best of luck improving your score. I know you can do it.

wasilewski

Congrats @Lroy, Metal Slug is a tough nut to crack for sure. I'm not sure if I'm going to get higher than my previously posted score.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

masterLEON

@Lroy I'm leaning towards Danmaku Unlimited 3, one of the Strikers games, or Gunbird. The only thing is since they're not HAMSTER games, we'd all need to upload screenshots before the deadline. A good number of us have been able to upload and link pics since the beginning, but I haven't seen everyone, namely the newer players. So I'd feel better knowing if everyone participating can do that. I'll type the question in bold:

If the next game requires uploading and linking a screenshot as proof of play, would that be ok? We can assist if you need help doing so.

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic