Forums

Topic: The Switch Arcade Community Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 1,047

Lroy

@Zkibu Just about to now. 🍻

The USB lead is 3 meters and does reach to me sitting on sofa but it becomes a trip hazzard as it is far enough away to raise the cord from the floor. Of course all this is just my own domestic set-up. Others may get more practical use out of the 3 metre lead.

So I imagine, I will either get a chair from my kitchen/dining area and sit closer to the TV and thus allow wife to walk behind me (won't need to worry about the kids as I can't imagine I'll ever get to use my Arcade stick during their waking hours πŸ˜‚).

Or more than likely, I will order an adapter and use the stick sat at my kitchen table with my Switch in a stand for table-top play.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

CW13

@Lroy Nice!!! Looks sick! Can't wait to do some street fighter with everyone here!(Although, I'll be easy pickins, cause I suck!!)Still be fun tho!

CW13

Switch Friend Code: SW-3787-0663-7007 | 3DS Friend Code: 0104-0625-3826 | Twitter:

Zkibu

@Lroy
I feel you mate. I know my wife won't be too happy when she sees the long cord crossing through our living room So I bought the Anker dongle just in case I need to play in my work room with Hori stand. I am pretty excited. I love the sticks but never really owned one.

I learned the Street Fighter 2 again with Ultra. Played it about 20 hours using Ryu and Guile (love those classic fundamentals). I have been using the WiiU controller and its wonderful dpad but still nothing beats the stick.

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

mauhlin12

@Lroy It's... glorious.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Lroy

Cheers fellas, just been having a little whistle-stop tour of various Switch arcade titles to try out my new stick: DOUBLE DRAGON (felt awesome playing one of my favourite games of all time with an arcade stick at home), TERRA CRESTA (actually seemed to play that game worse with my stick ☺️), KING OF FIGHTERS '98 (felt great but I can never seem to remember the moves for this game having been more of STREET FIGHTER and MORTAL KOMBAT kid back in the day, so need to pick a main trio and learn their moves), also tried out recent purchase SLY SPY and then excitement got the better of my wallet and bought SUPER SIDEKICKS 2 (felt great with stick, emulation felt slightly off as the pitch often seemed to blur at high-speed? Then again, I think I vaguely recall the original Arcade Cab doing this so it may just be how this game is?), also picked up THE LAST BLADE, SAMURAI SHODOWN II and GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES. Outside of a bit of ART OF FIGHTING and FATAL FURY I'd barely ever touched an SNK fighter but thought I might as well try to learn them a bit more having invested in a stick.

Really looking forward to playing STREET FIGHTER again, been years and years since I was heavy into that game on the SNES and Arcade Cabs. Also keen to try out more of my Shmup games as we had comments about this Switch Arcade Stick (unmodded) being less suited to this genre and more of a Fight Stick. Curious to see if I find myself forming that same opinion or not. I'm certainly not going to be buying another stick and don't envisage modding this one for at least 12 months if ever.

Been a blast having a beer and playing a credit each on a half a dozen or more arcade games, can see me spending an evening or two doing this on a regular basis (one man arcade, so this is what my Mir-life crisis, looks like, ha! ha!)

ValhallaOutcast

Anyone use a Brooks super converter?

Looking to use my Mad Catz SFV arcade stick on the switch using a PS4 to Switch super converter

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy Wow, super quick delivery! Enjoy it mate

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

@ValhallaOutcast
I'm using the Mayflash adapter which is basically the same thing, never tried myself Brook's one (http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/10323791/) but I think it's a pretty safe choice

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

monkeyspasm

@Lroy - that's great

Don't get too good at Terra Cresta with it mind, I'm only a few places behind you

Switch Profile name - monkeysp

Switch Friend Code: SW-7394-3764-7014

monkeyspasm

Also, I'm heading to Revival in Walsall at the weekend - loads of retro arcade machines, pinball and consoles! I know the organiser Craig (I bought my cab from him) and it's a great event https://www.revivalretroevents.co.uk/index.php

Any other forum members going?

Lroy

@monkeyspasm No danger of me getting good at TERRA CRESTA, I've yet to actually beat my own personal best score set with Pro Controller using my new stick yet, lol!

As for a retro arcade meet-up, I'd love to go to one of these events one day. I didn't know anything about this one, will read up on it and add it to the list of events I want to attend. Really hoping to get up to Arcade Club in Bury at some point this year.

EDIT: Is Revival always held at Walsall? Where in Walsall is it held?

With some advance planning I should be able to get to that event another time.

Edited on by Lroy

monkeyspasm

@Lroy if you go to Arcade Club, give me a shout - I'm 5 mins away

Revival is always in Walsall, or nearby, to my knowledge. It's at Banks's Stadium (Walsall FC's ground).

OorWullie

Baseball Stars Professional is this week's Neo Geo game. @bluedogrulez

Looking forward to that. I used to love baseball games back in the 90's.There's one in particular that was on the Megadrive that I sank many hours into but I can't remember which one it was.I was thinking it might have been Sports Talk Baseball but after looking at some screenshots RBI 94 seems more familiar.

Away from videogames I'm not a fan of baseball in the slightest.I've actually been to a MLB game though ,San Francisco Giants at Pittsburgh Pirates in 2006. For someone from Scotland it was incredibly exciting.....until the game actually started that is.The stadium (PNC Park) was superb and the city in the background was an amazing sight. It sits very close to the Steelers stadium who were Superbowl champions at the time .The game itself though was absolutely brutal. 2 really poor teams who looked like they couldn't hit a ball to save themselves. After 7 innings the score was still 0v0 and then a huge storm came and the game got delayed for over 2 hours which was a bizarre experience. The game did improve after the delay though, with Pittsburgh winning 2v1 in the 10th.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Lroy

@monkeyspasm Sweet! I'll definitely look you up as I'll more than likely be flying solo on my maiden voyage to Arcade Club. Be fantastic to play some two-player games in person.

Very handy to know Revival is always Walsall based. Will certainly try to make the next event, presumably 2019 now?

By the way, do you have a website or mailing list you use to find out about these Arcade meet-ups?

bluedogrulez

@OorWullie : AWESOME!! FINALLY!!! I do feel terrible about your one MLB experience. That is the confluence of just about everything bad that can happen at a game. If only every game could be sunny and 75, with the home team winning 9-0!! ; )

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

monkeyspasm

@Lroy - Definitely, that would be awesome! Arcade Club is fantastic.

Yeah, the next one's 2019 I think.

As for a website to find these meetups, I know Craig who runs Revival as I bought my cab off him. There's also Play Expo that runs in various ares that has retro and new gaming, but it's not what it was IMO. I used to frequent Jamma+ forums and they had event threads on there, not been on in years though. The Retro Gamer forums used to have similar threads. I just follow Revival and Arcade Club on Facebook these days.

Lroy

@monkeyspasm It's a date then for Arcade Club 🍻 Likely stop over as it is quite a long trek from where I am and presume there is a Premier Inn/Holiday Inn type place in the vicinity? Perhaps we could exchange mobile numbers nearer the time and organise things?

Thanks for the info regarding future events. Interest in the arcade scene seems to be at an all-time high these past few years and I've been trying to find a sort of map of England style directory which lists where retro Arcade Cabs can be played. For example, I'm off on a family holiday to Devon soon and I'd hoped to find a venue there to play arcade games. As a kid, I can remember the South West Coast having a pretty thriving Arcade scene and had hoped to find some last remnants of this. But so far, no luck in finding any info on this sort of thing.

How much did your Arcade Cab (running Mame/Final Burn Alpha on a PC I presume?) set you back roughly? I'm turning 40 in the not-too-distant future and the good lady has actually mentioned my own Arcade Cab (perhaps a bar-top) might be a fitting gift. I'd always laughed off such a wonderful suggestion as I thought they cost an arm and a leg but since seen online a wide range of prices (Β£200 to Β£4000) so it just seems so confusing.

Edited on by Lroy

monkeyspasm

@Lroy - yes, there's a Premier Inn minutes away!

Yep, no problem at all re: swapping numbers, I'd love to show you my setup too if you / we get chance! I'm only 5 mins away. Although I'm toying with the idea of selling my virtual pincab We have house renovations ongoing and it's tempting to take the roughly 3K I could get for it. Far from sure though! I think I'd be happy with the arcade cab and Switch, retro games on Switch are dominating my time at the mo.

My arcade cab was around Β£1000, although it was 5 or so years ago. The model I ordered was Β£750 but I ordered upgrades, lexan overlay for the control panel, artwork, switchable 4-8 way stick for Pac Man etc. I got mine from Turnarcades - that's Craig who runs Revival. Highly recommended, but what I will say is he's always mad busy as he does many different things in the retro scene. So I wouldn't expect fast delivery, but it'd be worth it! He's cheaper than many others and good quality - my cab's still going strong.

I was actually in a similar position - when I met my wife, I shared a house with a mate and I had a HUGE old, tatty Narc cab that had been converted to MAME, I bought it for like Β£250 off eBay, real bargain! There was no way it'd fit in her house when we moved in together, so I left it with my mate. She said 'if you do that, you can get a new, slimline one that looks nice' - which is what I did! My friend still has the Narc cab and has fixed it up nicely

Turnarcades also do bar tops and another idea might be the box arcade - an arcade panel (pretty much a 2 player version of your Switch stick, but hefty) - but it has a PC inside. Lots of companies do things like that but I can only vouch for Turnarcades.

Regarding arcade locations, have a look on a site like Jamma+ - there are threads for arcades around the country, you might be in luck!

Edited on by monkeyspasm

Zkibu

One shooter that I would love to see for Switch is Rayforce/Gunlock/Layer Section/Galactic Attack. Last year it had an Android release. Though I have no knowledge about the quality of the port, but maybe there is a possibility for release.

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

Lroy

Ordered one of those Myriann Arcade Cabinets (Β£11 of Amazon UK) for my Switch to use in Table-Top mode with my new HORI Arcade Stick via an Anker USB to USB-C adapter (Β£7).

Untitled

Untitled

Thinking I might print off some Arcade company logos (SNK, Namco, Data East, Capcom etc.) and some specific game art (STREET FIGHTER II maybe) and decorate it a bit.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic