Forums

Topic: The Switch Arcade Community Thread

Posts 741 to 760 of 1,047

swuthmaster

@meppi64
Hi,
The Pinball Arcade re-releases 5/11/2018 in North America (Europe the week after, probably 5/18/2018) Unfortunately it will not contain the Williams or Bally Tables. Having ported all 95 tables to the Switch in a crazy short amount of time (and they came out great IMHO) the news of the license issue on day one of release was especially hard on me and my team. On the plus side we have new Stern tables in the works and are also looking at other options for new tables to be simulated in TPA in the future.

One last thing. The new re-release on TPA for Switch will have ACDC, Star Trek and Mustang available for purchase at launch.

Thanks

swuthmaster

meppi64

@swuthmaster
Thanks for the reply.
I can only imagine how devastating it must be to see all that work, going back so many years now go up in smoke like this. From a preservation point alone this is a real tragedy, not to think of all the dedication and a significant chunk of your lives that everyone over there has put into this.
I'm still hoping that in the future something can be worked out with the licence holder regardless of how things look now. Even if that means having to up the price of the tables to compensate for possible higher licensing costs. I know many people feel the same. And naturally many would [removed] and moan about it as well like they always do...

Personally I'm looking forward to the Switch release still and I'll grab all the tables once more.
I'm also hoping for some more old school Stern tables besides more modern ones, if that's possible.
Something like Trident in particular, since that was one of the tables that we had in the small pub where I grew up.

Edited on by Octane

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Lroy

So THE PINBALL ARCADE is coming to Europe?

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

swuthmaster

@Lroy

Yes, it has been approved by Nintendo and should be available next week (probably 5/18/2018) as soon as I get confirmation (Nintendo of Europe were on Holiday today) we will announce officially the European launch date.

swuthmaster

masterLEON

@swuthmaster Just caught the news article on my Switch. So it'll probably go live sometime Noon or onwards EST. I do have a question, though. Will this version of TPA be a brand new download? I managed to download the original last month (plus Season 1), but I'm worried if it'll overwrite the version I have. Or will it still support the Williams/Bally tables?

Sorry to hear all this happening to you guys. All that work, the preservation of games that are difficult or improbable to see in the wild, just gone. Though I've been here before when licenses get pulled from digital download games (like with Konami/Ultra and Ubisoft with the TMNT licenses on Wii and XBLA), and it never fails to disappoint. At least this time there's a decent heads up time period as opposed to no warnings whatsoever, as is industry standard these days.

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

meppi64

It also emphases the need for physical media even in this day and age.
While it can be hard to find publishers for titles that sell in smaller volumes than the AAA releases, it seems like the past few years, thanks to Limited Run Games, a whole bunch of new publishers have popped up that focus almost exclusively on small print runs.

So please, if at all possible, would there be a chance to try and get a new Gottlieb physical release worked out, possibly in several volumes? And of course a new Stern Physical package when there are enough new titles out. Or even some new Pinball Arcade volumes.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Lroy

Data East's SLY SPY is now out (just bought it myself) from the Johnny Turbo arcade line. Next up in this line of releases according to the North American eShop is SUPER BURGER TIME. Obviously, the original was a bit of a classic back in the day and arguably made DATA EAST a household name in North America. Can't say I've played much of this 'sequel' but willing to give it a go. Any thoughts anyone?

Also, be ace to hear folks experiences with the other recent arcade games to come to Switch. I'll be picking up SUPER SIDEKICKS 2 in the near future and there has also been another Arcade Archive release as well as some other arcade inspired indie releases.

Checkout the eShop and let me know what's on your radars, any faves from your arcade past making an appearance?

Edited on by Lroy

CW13

Any recommendations for a table pack for pinball arcade? Couldn't get it in April, got it now. Is this basically the same as stern pinball arcade, just with gottlieb tables also? Thanks all!

CW13

Switch Friend Code: SW-3787-0663-7007 | 3DS Friend Code: 0104-0625-3826 | Twitter:

Lroy

Got some unexpected cash in my eShop wallet (work bonus): already picked up SLY SPY. Intend to get TERRA CRESTA and SUPER SIDEKICKS 2 asap. I also really fancy CRAZY CLIMBER having recently listened to an old episode of the No Quarter podcast where they compared it to MOON PATROL (one of my faves thanks to the Switch and our weekly arcade challenges) in terms of it being vintage but absolutely a delight to play and play over and over.

Now torn between grabbing HYPER SENTINEL which caught my attention as it kind of, sort of reminded me of BOSCONIAN and I really have an itch for that game. Wish it would come to NAMCO MUSEUM as DLC or be part of a second volume along with XEVIOUS and GALAXIAN.

Anyway, I digress. RAGING JUSTICE - a homage to arcade side scrolling beat-em-ups (a golden Go-to genre for me) is also out and about the same price as HYPER SENTINEL. Will likely get both at some stage but can probably only afford one in the near future. So any recommendations HYPER SENTINEL vs. RAGING JUSTICE?

Plus, whilst I have your ears. Two turn based strategy games I have been keeping an eye on release very soon. BATTLE CHASERS: NIGHT WAR and THE BANNER SAGA 1. I can probably only buy one, so which would people suggest is the superior out of these two?

Oh, and there's the no small matter of STREET FIGHTER ANNIVERSAY COLLECTION on the immediate horizon also. Are we all still in for that one and having a semi-regular SF Games Night?

Man, so many games. Wish I had time to play them all.

GrailUK

Terra Cresta is a really good game for a weekly challenge. It's easy to learn the patterns so you should be able to play until time out, however, the game presents you with opportunities in the 5 minutes to really boost your score in 3 - 4 places.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

mauhlin12

@Lroy I already have Street Fighter Collection downloaded and I'm just waiting for the release date (May 29th, Ikaruga Day, which I'm guessing will be the weekly schmup challenge for that week. Just a guess.) I've been working on getting my 8BitDo SNES Pro Controller SF ready so long answer short- yes I'm hoping SF becomes a regular thing around here. As for Banner Saga v. Battle Chasers- I've only played Banner Saga. I enjoyed it at times and I was bored with it at other times. I finished it but at the end it kind of felt like a chore. It's a good game though and I would still give it a 7.5/10. I have a physical copy of Battle Chasers pre-ordered so I haven't played it yet but I'm very excited to give it a go. Also as far as battle systems go, Banner Saga is more of a strategy game like Fire Emblem/Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics whereas Battle Chasers has more of a traditional JRPG battle system like Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/ Phantasy Star.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Lroy

@mauhlin12 Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I'm basically hovering over the buy button for both STREET FIGHTER ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION and the Switch Arcade stick from HORI but understandably I'm having to pause for thought at such an investment as it will set me back over ÂŖ150. I also would like to get clear reassurance that buying a USB-to-USB-C adapter in order to play with the Arcade Stick in Table Top mode is recommended and not a risk to my Switch system. Kind of wary now of connecting anything to the USB-C port on the Switch after these stories of people's machines being bricked by using third-party cables and docks etc.

Lroy

@mauhlin12 As for the two strategy games I asked about, really useful feedback you offered. Thank you. It sounds as though BANNER SAGA might be more in my wheel-house combat wise as I haven't really gained any deep experience with traditional J-RPGs but I still see potential in me liking BATTLE CHASERS: NIGHT WAR. Would the latter's battle system have any similarity to CHILD OF LIGHT as I really, really enjoyed that game and it's battle mechanic.

Lroy

UPDATE: I did it. I've bought the HORI Arcade Stick for Nintendo Switch. Now posting in a few threads here (apologies for spam if deemed as such) to try and figure out which is the best USB-to-USB-C adapter cable to use as I'd like to put my Switch inside an arcade cabinet style stand and connect the arcade stick for table-top play.

Excited! Pre-ordered STREET FIGHTER ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION as well. Skint but excited, ha! ha!

Lroy

Can't recall if we have stumbled upon these Custom Made Arcade Cabs for Switch before but man, they look ace. Wish I could find an alternative based in UK.

This guy Anthony Valentine also does Mini BarTop Arcade Cabs.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheAVEcustoms?ref=s2-header-shop...

OorWullie

@Lroy Yep seen those when I was looking into getting my own one. They look superb and he's selling them for a good price but the ÂŖ30 shipping cost to outside the US is too much.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

OorWullie

The last thing my Switch needs is a play stand,I've already got one as well as an arcade cabinet for tabletop play but I'm going to find it hard to resist buying this new Mario themed stand from Hori.

Untitled

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

RetroGamerAndrew

@OorWullie Wooow the Mario themed one is superb!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

My new toy just arrived 😎

Untitled

Bring on May 29th and STREET FIGHTER ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION.

EDIT: Can't get the kids (and the wife) to bed quick enough 😂

Edited on by Lroy

Zkibu

@Lroy
Nice! I ordered one too. Have you tried it already?

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic