Forums

Topic: The Switch Arcade Community Thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,047

Moroboshi876

@OorWullie I'm a big fan of Dragon Quest, I'm in love with its lore, settings, characters, designs and music, and it's turn-based. So my RPG experience is with turn-based, but don't really like strategic RPGs.

Being a 36 yo with a job and a daughter, my increasing backlog makes me feel less and less guilty for checking specific things in walkthroughs, in order to know what to do (not how) when I'm stuck and don't seem to find what's next. You should see it this way too. We don't have a handful of games like when we were children anymore. We don't want to spend months with a single game. As long as it's not following step by step what a walkthrough says, I think it's fine.

I don't know if Puyo Puyo already released in Japan, but some news piece here in Nintendo Life stated that Gaing Ground and Puyo Puyo were going to be released in the West in February. And a little before that article there was an interview with M2 people where they said Virtua Racing had caused delays in the releases (let's not forget they initially planned one or even 2 games per month, and after that it's been 1 if we were lucky), but it should be OK now. So I still expect those 2 games to be released this month.

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

Tonight's the night for those who want the physical edition of R-Type Dimensions. I'm going to take a pass, though. A 56 euro purchase with just an artbook and a few more little things isn't worth it to me. I would gladly pay that if a soundtrack was included. It's not.

And as for the standard edition it would be 36 for a game I actually have on Xbox 360 already.

I'll buy R-Type when it gets released in Hamster's Arcade Archives though. 7 bucks for the most faithful arcade experience with coin adding feature and stuff is OK to me.

Lroy

Very excited by this Konami Arcade collections announcement. Really hope they offer additional instalments and get to some of their all-time classic arcade games from the 90s. SUNSET RIDERS, MYSTIC WARRIORS and TMNT are top of my list please!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Moroboshi876

@Lroy I highly doubt they're going to spend extra money on reacquiring some licensed games, especially when they've been so cheap as launching these compilations digital only.

For Christ's sake, Konami's 50th (50th!) anniversary deserves at least a standard retail release, and those 24 games fit into any modern disc or card. C'mon!

Amirite?

By the way, I ended up pre-ordering R-Type Dimensions EX collector's edition. I'm weak.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 You’re probably right but oh well, I can dream (and play the games on MAME until then 😜).

Moroboshi876

This week we'll see the release of ACA Neo Geo Samurai Shodown V Special, which is the last of the announced titles for that system. It probably means they're done with Neo Geo.

On the bright side, the slowdown of these releases has apparently meant that Arcade Archive titles have been releasing more often lately.

Anyway, it seems that after Time Pilot (which was released without almost any prior notice), Konami arcade games are starting to be released on Switch too, having been available in PS4 for a long time already.

The next ones will be:

-Yie Ar Kung-Fu

-Road Fighter

-VS Gradius (although this one is the NES version turned arcade version and should count as a Nintendo Arcade Archives title)

Moroboshi876

Hi, it's me again! -ain... -ain...

If anybody reads this, I want to ask for your opinion: I have some money in my eShop account and I want to choose 3 of these Hamster games to buy, meaning the others would come at a later moment. Which ones do I pick now? They would be:

-Prehistoric Isle 2 (I have the first one and I love it, but still not much played)

-Double Dragon II (I have the first unplayed, but I'm planning to change that soon, and I know I'm going to pick it for sure some day)

-Wrecking Crew (a Nintendo classic, it's due "soon")

-Ice Climbers (I tried the NES version and I find it too unresponsive, but this is the arcade version)

-Ninja Spirit (it's due "soon", loved the PC Engine version)

-Yie-Ar Kung Fu (it's due "soon" and its MSX port is one of my favorite games of childhood)

-Karate Champ (don't know much about this game, but it's a pioneer I think, and the arcade poster is made by Mitsuru Adachi, although I haven't found any credit regarding this. But as a fan of his work I just know it is, it's undeniable)

-Road Fighter (it's due "soon" and its MSX port is one of my favorite games of childhood)

-Image Fight (for the fame alone)

Thanks!

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Hey buddy, i’m actually in a similar situation. Got enough for two Hamster arcade games sitting in my eShop credit.

Been pondering some single screen puzzle platform games, having recently enjoyed DK3 so much in the community challenges.

So got stuff like DK JR. ICE CLIMBERS, WRECKING CREW in mind as well as CAVEMAN NINJAS 2 aka JOE & MAC 2 from Johnny Turbo Arcade’s Data East Arcade line. There’s also one called ZUPATA or something from the Hamster Neo Geo line.

I also want to pick up some of the remaining arcade shmups I don’t have yet such as Konami’s TIME PILOT and the one you mentioned IMAGE FIGHT - this one doesn’t seem to be on the UK eShop at the moment. Sometimes these games get pulled with no warning and we just have to wait and hope they return. TERRA FORCE is another unless I already own that, so many shooters with similar name I get them mixed up - TERRA CRESTA, MOON CRESTA etc.

Anyways, may pick one from each group but also holding off until Nintendo’s Direct is done today. Just in case that have a ‘available now’ moment on a game I just want to impulse buy.

Anyhow, let us know how you get on. I know I haven’t answered your question and just added my own, lol!

Very keen on NINJA SPIRIT and PREHISTORIC ISLE 2 as well.

Basically, buy them all is my motto 🤪

Edited on by Lroy

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Glad I'm not alone! In this predicament and in the thread LOL

I forgot about puzzles, but I'm interested in some too. I have Zupapa and all DK. I think I'd like Money Puzzle Exchanger, and after trying Puzzle Bobble on the Raspberry for the old challenge I'm considering the purchase, although I already have PB2, because the way to play is significantly different.

One may argue that I could try them on MAME and decide, but if I try them there I'll have a hard time paying for them (that's what I don't like about piracy).

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 I have access to them all via emulation on my Arcade Pi set-up but I still buy 99% on Switch. Just prefer to own an official release wherever possible and playing on the Switch platform with online leaderboards is a joy.

Edited on by Lroy

Moroboshi876

@Lroy I prefer official too, but I notice it's harder when you know you have it already, although in illegal form. I take that way of playing games as testing, and what I like I end up buying (if available. I'd love to buy Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, but it's impossible, for instance).

The online leaderboards are a strong selling point to me, but initially I didn't even think about them. It was a small feature to me. Now I see it's the main reason to go back to play a game as hard and repetitive as arcade games usually are. And that's why I only have 2 Johnny Turbo's Arcade games, because they don't have such feature.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 What did you plump for in the end? I’m sitting here hovering over the CONTRA COLLECTION. Bit more than I have in my eShop kitty but know I’ll buy it at some point. Or do I just randomly pick two arcade games from my wish list? Decisions, decisions 🤪

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Doesn't have to be today. I'll wait for Thursday at least, and see what Hamster has for us.

After watching the Direct I have to say Mana Collection is ruled out: 40 bucks for a digital 3 games compilation. Wow. They made my decision a little easier.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Wise man. I’m going CONTRA COLLECTION!

Moroboshi876

Pooyan this week. And... it's not one of the ones I wanted. One more week to wait.

By the way, I also want all those Konami collections, but while I wait for a price drop (otherwise I won't be buying them, it's my policy with digital only releases that should be on card too), I hope they announce a retail version at some point.

Moroboshi876

Arcade Archives Wild Western this week... and another one I'm not interested in. They're keeping the best ones for later...

Let's remember: the remaining titles among the already announced (I hope they keep revealing titles) are

Clu Clu Land
Ninja Spirit
Pinball
Road Fighter
Tecmo Bowl
Victory Road
VS. Baloon Fight
VS. Gradius
VS. Wrecking Crew
Yie Ar Kung-fu

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Hadn’t realised some of these had been announced. Quite a few interesting titles there.

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Yes, and I have the feeling (for quite some time already) that Hamster games aren't properly marketed, thus resulting in people not even knowing about them. If you look at the eShop best-sellers you rarely will see anything beyond VS. Super Mario Bros. (probably people thinking it's the NES version) and KOF 98. It's a shame.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 They’re definitely not marketed well enough or generally spoken about with the respect and reverence they deserve on many mainstream gaming websites.

Like anything on the Switch eShop, I go seek them out.

Moroboshi876

Almost two months later, a reminder of what's left from Hamster:

Pinball
Tecmo Bowl
VS. Baloon Fight
VS. Gradius
VS. Wrecking Crew
Yie Ar Kung-fu
Kung Fu Master

I picked up Road Fighter last week, but despite being advertised (well, at least in gaming sites news) as supporting tate mode, I've played it and that's not accurate. I don't know if it's going to come as a patch, but right now it doesn't support it. You can rotate the screen, but then you have to stretch it, and that's not tate mode support as seen in Donkey Kong trilogy for instance.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic