Forums

Topic: Anyone else not feel excited for the Switch?

Posts 161 to 177 of 177

Stefky

Every console needs some 3rd party support, but Nintendo might not need as much as others if they stick to the switch as both their portable and home offering.

I've read that there have been comments that they do plan a new hand held. That worries me. The 3DS/DS/Wii/WiiU era showed something pretty clear:

Nintendo can support one console really well with software. Not two.

Thought this era you had a pocket of loads of great first party portable software during a home console drought, then a drought on the portable front while the home console was showered with exciting first party releases.

One thing I like about Switch is that it seemed to signal a final acceptance from Nintendo that they just don't have the capacity to support two platforms at once.

If they have just one system, they can make it worth owning all by then selves. Especially if they go with an android OS so that mobile games and virtual console stuff can fill in the gaps.

At that point, third party support is icing on the cake.

If they can't support it themselves, I think we'll see the same story as the last two Nintendo generations.

I hope they can win back third parties, but only a fool would buy this betting on it since they failed on that front thrice in a row now.

Stefky

skywake

@Stefky
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo's comments about continuing on with the 3DS is more of a safety net. If the Switch fails to capture an audience then they'll still have the DS/3DS line to fall back on. But it it does well one day a couple of years from now you'll walk into a shop and realise there are no new 3DS games. No fanfare.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@XONXOFF

''When replying to a topic, don't; unless you have something meaningful to say or something that will contribute to the discussion. Posts such as "Yes" or "I agree" or "LOL" are useless and are wasteful on the servers.''

https://www.nintendolife.com/rules

Octane

Joeynator3000

@Octane ....Something seems weird about that guy, just...letting you know based on his other posts. >.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Octane

@Joeynator3000 I just noticed his other posts. I think we'll consider this a warning then. If he keeps spamming, we'll redirect the issue to Lz.

Octane

Joeynator3000

@Octane Already messaged Dank about it as well, so...yeah.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Peek-a-boo

TomJ wrote:

Yeah, my excitement has died completely. Dropped like a brick.

I am not sure if you were being serious, as the laughing emoji doesn't reflect any hint of sarcasm, but I have gone from being curious and pleased that Nintendo have abandoned the Wii era completely and gone for a new-ish direction to feeling absolutely nonplussed altogether.

The thought of playing any third party games on yet another weak(er) and not-up-to-par system compared to the Xbox One, let alone the PlayStation 4 - both of which shall be three and a half years old by the time the Nintendo Switch will be available - really doesn't appeal to me.

And since the portability factor of the Nintendo Switch is of zero note to me, I would just be playing and using it as a home console.

Trouble is, it is Nintendo.

As soon as I see a new Super Mario game or (hopefully) a new Metroid, I start to crumble a little bit... but not this time. I feel burnt out on their games; Super Mario 3D World is absolutely amazing however, it felt unoriginal after playing Super Mario 3D Land on my 3DS the year or two before.

Seeing Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon on the Nintendo Switch unveiling video made me think that the games will very much be the same as we have all played on our Wii U.

I don't know. I just don't feel excited in the slightest.

Peek-a-boo

TuVictus

Unfortunately it's extremely unlikely it's anywhere near a base ps4. Best we can hope for is a bit under xbox one.

I dig the aesthetic myself. It's a gamepad, but less toy looking with a better resolution, which I did want so I'm glad to see it in that way at least

TuVictus

Peek-a-boo

KidRad wrote:

The Switch is essentially the Wii U with the horsepower and then some of a PS4.

I think we can safely say that that is not going to be the case, unfortunately.

And the d-pad on the Joy-Con isn't even a proper d-pad... however, I can see why Nintendo did this, seeing as it needs to be a detachable controller with face buttons (for 'player two').

Peek-a-boo

Buizel

@Peek-a-boo Might it be possible that they release alternative Joy-Cons with "proper" d-pads?

Actually, it would be great if you could replace components of your Switch in a modular fashion. Worn down thumbstick? No need to send your whole handheld in for repair / buy a new one, just replace the Joy-Con.

At least 2'8".

Peek-a-boo

@Buizel More money for Nintendo, I suppose!

Accessories are a big profit generator; I can foresee a number of different Joy-Con controllers for different styles of games. I do hope we get a proper d-pad somewhere down the line.

I mean, how on Earth are we going to play beat 'em ups on that (left side) Joy-Con?!

Peek-a-boo

TuVictus

Joy con replacements will be a great way for Nintendo to offer personalization and replacement for broken individual parts rather than having to send in the whole thing for repair. It would also be awesome getting to choose different button layouts

TuVictus

gcunit

KidRad wrote:

So looking past the portability factor which I personally don't really care for at all....

I've only quoted this out of convenience, many others have said similar, so nothing personal, KidRad. I just don't get it, and I think a lot of people will change their tune (probably silently) when they actually get the opportunity to experience games such as Breath of the Wild fully portable. Particularly if it carries over the sleepmode from 3DS for instant on/off standby and has a half-decent battery life.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DefHalan

gcunit wrote:

KidRad wrote:

So looking past the portability factor which I personally don't really care for at all....

I've only quoted this out of convenience, many others have said similar, so nothing personal, KidRad. I just don't get it, and I think a lot of people will change their tune (probably silently) when they actually get the opportunity to experience games such as Breath of the Wild fully portable. Particularly if it carries over the sleepmode from 3DS for instant on/off standby and has a half-decent battery life.

There are plenty of people that only use their 3DS around their house, my brother being one of them. I don't see myself carrying around a Switch, mostly because I doubt it would be as safe as my 3DS in my pocket. Nothing protecting that screen, and with the controllers attached it looks way too big for my pocket. Not sure if there will be any experiences that don't use the Joy Cons at all... I guess that would depend on the screen being a touch screen. Off-TV Play is one of my favorite features of the Wii U, but that doesn't mean I would want to use the GamePad as a portable system.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

kkslider5552000

I might use the portability at points, but I do agree that more often than not I prefer playing on console in general (especially 3D games).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

KidRad wrote:

So looking past the portability factor which I personally don't really care for at all....the switch is essentially the wii u with the horse power and then some of a PS4...think about it....the switch joy cons combined with the tablet make a wii u gamepad like controller, the joy cons detached simulate the wii remote plus nunchuck, the joysticks plus the base simulate a traditional controller or you can get the switch pro controller which both mimic the wii u's pro controller....when all said and done there's no new innovation to be had, it's essentially a buffed up wii u but with uglier non nintendo asthetics....heck nintendo didn't even include a d pad outside the pro controller...that's just a crime in itself lol

So...essentially what you said is that if we ignore everything that makes it different from a PS4, it's just like a Nintendo PS4.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.