Forums

Topic: almost ready to sell my switch

Posts 361 to 376 of 376

Mahe

@NEStalgia I do remember. PS4 had a flying start, with several great games in the early months. And the upcoming game list for PS4 started building up really fast.

3DS... not so much. It was a bad launch, but that ecosystem really started picking up when Nintendo released the 2DS.

Also, if 2DS is "outgoing", why did Nintendo just launch New 2DS XL? Why was the New 2DS Japan's best-selling system, with the most games in the top 20? https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3ds/new_2ds_xl_best-sellin...

That's where the handheld games I want are coming, and that's where I'll be playing those best handheld games, because Switch has zero of those.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

KirbyTheVampire

@BLP_Software I had this exact debate with him/her on Push Square, and it went absolutely nowhere. You shouldn't waste your breath, honestly.

His/her opinion that the PS4 had a flying start is hilarious, though. I would hardly call Knack, Killzone, and a bunch of PS3 ports a flying start.

KirbyTheVampire

BigBadJohn

@Mahe The best handheld games are on the Switch. Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario and all that within the first 6 months. Usually I'd put "in my opinion" but let's be honest there isn't a handheld around that could even come close to the quality capable on the Switch including Nintendos own 2DS.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Haruki_NLI

@KirbyTheVampire By their admission the PS4 was a terrible launch.

As I said: dunk their nuts in gravy and drag them naked through a starved wolf enclosure. Thats what thinking without facts does around here.

@Mahe Sweetie sit down.

If the 3DS is going out why did Nintendo make the 2DS XL you ask? Same reason they made the Wii Mini in 2013. And the Xbox 360 E came out in 2013 too. Lets not forget the revisions of the Vita and PSP.

Its called an end of life profit maximiser. It becomes an entry level system due to age and library that is relatively cgeap to produce compared to its early life with shortcuts and hardware revisions to drive costs down and maximise profits all while selling at a lower price.

New product comes out, take the prior one, slim it down, cut the price, boom. Entry level.

You know what we call that? The PS4 Slim.

Now dear youve clearly banged your head. Want me to call the nurse? Amnesia is a terrible thing as is selective blindness.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@Mahe You must have been playing a different PS4 model than the one I got on launch day. Mine had Knack (which I seem to be in the minority of enjoying), that grotesquely rushed-to-release Killzone which was one of the most "meh" shooter's I'd played in a while, and a bunch of multiplats also on X360 and PS3 (and some even on WiiU.) Then months of PS3 ports. And that was the Holiday window. I didn't start getting it's wings until the second year. I wasn't disappointed though as I didn't expect different. But no use sugar coating: the launch year was pretty dead.

Why did Nintendo launch the NES-Edition 3DS XL with a big marketing push 12 weeks before releasing the New3DSXL? To sell more hardware and make more money. Just because 3DS is outgoing, doesn't mean people aren't buying them (Sony STILL sells PS2, yes, TWO, in Japan!) It's outgoing but does still have some games coming out people might want the hardware for, including a new (if rehashed) Pokemon for which a new lower cost unit that can be an "upgrade" is desirable in some cases. And in Japan, DQ11 is a MASSIVE one that many PS4 owners that don't own a 3DS (are there any in Japan?) where people may pick up t I suspect the N3DSXL will be discontinued before the N2DSXL, leaving it as a budget legacy machine in the vein of Wii Mini. The library is huge, and there's definitely demand for it. Particularly without backward compatibility unlike the past few machines (there was no way to really support that), there's a bigger reason to keep it on the market longer to continue selling the library. There ARE some excellent games still coming for it. Some are new (can't abandon an old console upon immediate launch of a successor), and some are localizations of games that have already been out in Japan for some time , but are new to us. Japan sales have already transitioned heavily to Switch. It's not "dead" and its' not going to be "killed off" WiiU style, for sure. But it's also clear it's winding down in terms of new development, with most of that transferring to Switch.

For this year, I can't fault you for preferring the 3DS lineup of games if you like the 3DS's library. It has some great games coming (some of the best are late localizations here...they're already out in Japan.) I love 3DS, but I admit to groaning every time "all the good games" were for 3DS in Spring instead of Switch. So it's fair, but after the next year, pretty much all that kind of content you're looking for will be redirected toward Switch. These games coming out now have been in the works for 1-3 years and they're just kind of draining the end of the pipeline. You'll be wanting that Switch at some point for the kind of games you've been enjoying on 3DS. If you hold out long enough though and like the small form factor MAYBE the "Switch Mini" everyone expects will be out for you by then.

NEStalgia

rallydefault

@Mahe
Yea, man. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial is one of the best games I've ever played, and it has a sick version of Pong. And with an established library of nearly 600 games, there's no reason for companies to develop new hardware or consumers to buy new hardware. The new stuff will just have fewer games. Makes no logical sense.

So I'm with you 100%. It's ridiculous that new systems don't come out with libraries that are just as large and celebrated as the systems before them. I'm surprised people haven't caught on to this by now.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Is OP still around? Is he gonna sell me his switch?

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

NEStalgia

@SMEXIZELDAMAN Last he checked in, he hadn't sold and the system was collecting dust waiting for.....was it Odyssey?

NEStalgia

BigBadJohn

I'm thinking of selling my Switch. Quality games releasing at the current rate is bankrupting me.

SW-5512-0541-9236

JLPick

It's one of those things that have always bugged me with anything Nintendo...the consoles, granted they have the love from the NINTENDO-ONLY titles, they just don't seem to stick with you forever as they tend to lack what the other companies have. Now, I own a PS3 and PS4, so I'm not too worried about what other features are in or on a nintendo console, but if you don't have a secondary console, then it's rough. My thoughts for you, would be to keep it at least for another year, and see what comes and gets added later on...if then you are not happy, get rid of it, but right now, after paying and putting all of that money into it, you wouldn't get back as much as what you put towards it...and, just like I ended up getting rid of my Wii U, you'll end up missing a game or two later on down the years...reason why I still have my Atari, NES, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, Ps2, Ps3, PS4, Xbox, 32X, Gamecube (my favorite), N64 and the Wii. Wii U and the DS and 3DS are the only nintendo systems I didn't really find myself wanting to keep around, and for some reason, still don't really miss.

JLPick

Mahe

NEStalgia wrote:

Sony STILL sells PS2, yes, TWO, in Japan!

There may be some remaining stock that is still in stores, but officially PS2 production has ended. And even if those old PS2 models sell 10 or a 100 systems a week in Japan, untracked, that really doesn't matter to anyone.

It's whole different deal with the New 2DS XL, which just sold 43 thousand systems, and with the rest of the 2DS/3DS hardware family on top of that, they sold over 58,000 systems in just one week. 9 out of the top 20 games were for 2DS and 3DS systems. 6 were for PS4.

That is a massive sales success. New 2DS XL will keep selling for a long time.

Mahe

BigBadJohn

@Mahe The sales for the New 2DS in Japan for last week are okay. What do you think will happen next week? Which game do you think will be the top seller in Japan in next weeks media create? If the Switch tops both the game and hardware charts what will that prove? Stake your claim and we shall reconvene in a weeks time.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Haruki_NLI

@BigBadJohn Im prepping the roast for when he says it didnt outsell Splatoon 1 even if it has better 1st week sales.

He seems to confuse lifetime sales for weekly and the poor dear freaks out.

And please dont let him stake anything anywhere. We will never get the BS stains out of the carpet. We just changed that after the Wii U led to everyone dumping on the old carpet!

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

Mahe wrote:

That's the whole point. PS4 and 2DS already have years worth of great games to play. Switch doesn't. And it isn't just the existing games, it's the upcoming games, too. Both PS4 and 2DS easily beat Switch when it comes to soon to be released games. A new system should be getting games at a fast pace, but the Switch just isn't. All the games are going to PS4 or 2DS.

Even if I was to entertain your theory here you're kinda missing one key point. The games on those three platforms are vastly different. Stop and think about it for a second and actually look at the major games that are coming out or have come out this year....

Switch:
Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Zelda:BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, Pokken Tournament, Mario & Rabbids

PS4:
Horizon, Destiny 2, Red Dead 2, Battlefront 2, CoD WW2, Injustice 2, Middle-earth: Shadow of War

3DS:
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon, Metroid Samus Returns, Miitopia, Hey Pikmin, Yoshi's Woolly World

Even if I ignore 2018 these are entirely different kinds of lists of games. And I'd wager that in 2018 the 3DS list will shrink further while the Switch list grows. So far from "all" of the games going to 3DS and PS4 I reckon it's at most a split between 3DS and Switch for Nintendo. If anything the Switch is already well ahead in terms of quality of content given the 3DS is mostly getting 2D games.

Mahe wrote:

It's whole different deal with the New 2DS XL, which just sold 43 thousand systems, and with the rest of the 2DS/3DS hardware family on top of that, they sold over 58,000 systems in just one week. 9 out of the top 20 games were for 2DS and 3DS systems. 6 were for PS4..

For one week in one region with a hardware. Globally the Switch has outsold the 3DS by ~3x so far this year. It's the best selling piece of hardware in both the US and Japan and is behind only the PS4 globally. In terms of software? It's a bit further behind because of the lower install base but in the US for software sales so far this year it's ahead of the 3DS already.

The 3DS' days are numbered whether you like it or not.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Lethal

skywake wrote:

Switch:
Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Zelda:BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, Pokken Tournament, Mario & Rabbids

PS4:
Horizon, Destiny 2, Red Dead 2, Battlefront 2, CoD WW2, Injustice 2, Middle-earth: Shadow of War,

You missed a few PS4 titles worth mentioning

Resident Evil 7, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Persona 5, Final Fantasy 12, Crash N Sane Trilogy, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, The Evil Within 2, Yakuza 0, MLB The Show 17, Hitman, Kingdom Hearts Remixes

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Eel

Ok this thread ended quite a while ago, let's move this discussion to somewhere else.

Also be nice to each others and don't name call or insult other users.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.