Forums

Topic: Adult Switch Gamers

Posts 241 to 260 of 2,648

JasmineDragon

@Lroy Gaming with kids is honestly one of the best times you can have as a parent, and nobody does family video games like Nintendo. It's one of the reasons I've never drifted away from Nintendo as my main gaming outlet. My kids grew up playing Kirby and Yoshi and Mario games with me. My elder daughter's Harvest Moon obsession started with playing Friends of Mineral Town on my old GBA SP and went on through all the HM games on the Gamecube, Wii and DS/3DS. My youngest got her first games on our smartphones, but now she plays RPGs on the 3DS I passed on to her and, of course, on the Switch.

Now we all play on "my" Switch nearly every day. The young one likes to throw down with me in ARMS and Street Fighter II on a regular basis. We play Super Bomberman R or Fast RMX regularly, too. Amd when we're not competing we are all playing our games of BOTW, Stardew Valley or SMO as a family, watching eachother and coaching eachother through tricky parts. And I still get the pleasure of being the one the youngest calls on for help when she is stuck on a boss fight or a tricky bit of platforming. It's a pretty awesome gig.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

GreyGoatee

Thanks for the replies guys. I will send a few more requests after the daily slog!

I'm wondering, is splatoon worth playing?
I feel as if it might be a bit "kiddy" for someone my age but, am I wrong?

My extremely user friendly code thingy (cos nintendo allowing adding gamertags would have been such a hassle!!!)
sw-1114-8148-5233

HauntedNostril

@GreyGoatee
it's a blast my friend, something for all skill levels online and a pretty good single player (i'm talking about Splatoon 2 here btw, sorry if that's not what you're asking about, I haven't played the first). I only got into it because that's all the kids would play over Christmas, and coming fresh from my grumpy old PS4 I thought ink instead of bullets was baby's stuff, but how wrong I was! Side with fun, always.

HauntedNostril

Lroy

@JasmineDragon That was an awesome read. Thank you for sharing. I've always enjoyed Nintendo games and systems albeit if I was actually a SEGA kid growing up. Although I still managed to own pretty much every Nintendo system outside of the GameCube and the GameBoy Advance (catching up with those titles missed when I can). Now my little ones are here, I've naturally gravitated to Nintendo virtually exclusively - I still use my PS3 and PS Vita from time to time - and then sprinkle retro and arcade games into the mix = my family's gaming bliss. In a small and knowingly daft way, I'm proud I have photos of my son on each day he got a new system (Wii U/2DS/Switch). In decades to come, I intend to make some form of flip-book out of it for him. Whatever games platform he chooses as an adult he'll always remember he was a Nintendo child at heart, lol!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

norwichred

Ooh an old farts's thread.

I'm 47 years old, and have an 18 month old and a 7 month old. And a pretty demanding job. So I'm constantly knackered, shattered and knackered. But I do still manage to get some gaming time in although not as much as I would like. I have a switch (Mario Kart 8 deluxe is my main multiplayer but I do have tonnes of games), a Wii U (which I currently am using to play through Mario Galaxy 2 with my 18 month old watching as she adores Mario (who she calls Amma)), an Nvidia Shield TV which I use to emulate all the other Nintendo consoles up to Gamecube (don't tell Nintendo), and many other retro delights, an iPad, a GPD XD (again for emulation) and an Xbox One.

Oh and a very understanding long suffering partner lol.

So I would love to add some peeps. I'll go through and add some friend codes, and put mine on here, tomorrow - tonight I'm out playing football.

norwichred

Lroy

@norwichred Welcome old knackered brethren. I feel your plight 😉

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

norwichred

Sorry for slow reply. I had to limp to the keyboard and work the arthritis out of my fingers......

norwichred

Bunkerneath

@norwichred Old Farts? well, anyone over 25 seems to be called an old fart around here

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

norwichred

as long as it's just old and not "stale" too.

norwichred

JasmineDragon

@GreyGoatee Splatoon 2 is one of the most fun video games I've ever played. Definitely not something an adult needs to be ashamed of playing, it's pretty hardcore once you get past the cosmetics and you can play it super casual or go for the ranked and League modes which are vicious, cutthroat experiences.

I haven't played it in a while since I'm currently hooked on Mario+Rabbids and Skyrim, but it's up there as one of my most played Switch games.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

shani

@Ralek85 Yeah, movement is definitely more streamlined in Splatoon. There are mobility and speed differences between each weapon, but they're obviously smaller than in OW.
I didn't know Hanzo could run up walls vertically! I actually played him several times, but apparently not often enough.

Actually, I always thought of Splatoon and Overwatch as being arcade-y (in a good way) but still having a lot of depth. And while I find both games accessible (compared to other games), I agree that Splatoon tries to be even more accessible, that's definitely the case.
OW has bigger maps of course, but in those matches that I played the actual range of the action wasn't wider than what I was used from Splatoon. At least I wasn't sniped as often as by some charger, thinking 'where the hell did that come from?'. 😆
Yeah, verticality... I'd actually love for more of it in Splatoon. I once came up with an original level design that was almost completely vertical, but people didn't seem to like it or rather, didn't deem it a great fit for Splatoon because if the basic mechanic of inking the ground.

Well before OW was released, when I saw all those heroes they were going to include, I was actually worried about balancing. To be honest it felt like they didn't think that much about it but rather just implemented heroes they came up with and/or found funny. So I kinda felt vindicated when I heard/read on several occasions that there were balancing problems - but I'm sure they handle(d) it.

My buddy told me about the combos as well while we were playing, although I already had forgotten which characters go well together. ^^ But it's definitely an element that I like that is not really present in Splatoon. And of course, the fact that OW is objective-driven (and less kill-focused) as well is one of the main reasons it interests me.

Well I just committed to playing Splatoon 2 regularly on Satrudays (8-12 GMT) with a few NintendoLifers, so dedicating time to OW might become even more difficult. But if any of you is interested, we'll stream our sessions!

@GreyGoatee I don't know how old you are, but I think one can never be too old to have some fun with Splatoon (or even play it seriously). The kiddiness is definitely part of its charm, but it's meant for everyone.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Ralek85

@shani I'd definitely be interested in checking in on a stream of you guys playing. Frankly, I'm curious on what level you are operating, so to speak I think I might pick up Splatoon 2 this weekend. The release schedule on the Switch looks, uhm, rather 'relaxed' for the coming weeks, so it might be a good time.

One thing I want to add about Overwatch in terms of balancing. Yes, as with any class based game, it's a constant process of back and forth tweaking, but two things stood out to me during all my months of play (and keep in mind, I have like a deep MMORPG background, where "balancing" is always a supremely thorny issue).

First, the game was never - to my knowledge - "broken". That sounds like self-evident, but it it isn't. Part of it is due to the fact, that both sides have access to the same set of heroes, hence any temporary imbalance on one or several characters can always be compensated by mirror picking/ counter picking, but still, I never felt compelled to not play any particular hero I wanted to play, because he was considered "broken" aka useless.

Second, Blizzard had hands down the best community communications I've seen in a very long time, and certainly in terms of an actual non-MMORPG FPS game. They made and still make a significant effort in addressing issues with the game head-on. Also, I felt the turn-around time for updates was quite exemplarly, and basically, even if something took longer, we always still knew that it being worked on - again, this sounds self-evident, but it isn't. Knowing that certain issues were being addressed made the community, at least from my personal perspective, felt appreciated and, well, HEARD!

I mean, as a Nintendo fan, you probably know the feeling of not necessarily feeling heard, well, at least I do

Anyways, maybe once I jumped on the Splatoon 2 train, and once I know the ropes, maybe we can play a couple of rounds together and talk shop, so to speak, I'd like that! ^^

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

shani

@Ralek85 That's good to hear! As mentioned before, I didn't have that much team-based multiplayer experience prior to Splatoon, but the constant content updates and balancing finetuning really spoiled me, so I would expect nothing less from other games. So it's awesome that Blizzard are just as dedicated to maintaining their product, which must be a much harder task given the number of heroes and players!

And of course, I hadn't of it that way, but being able to change your hero during matches is a good way to restore the balance! That's really a good thing about OW. I just thought about it and I think the reason why you can't do that in Splatoon - apart from the fact that the matchmaking already is heavily based on weapon choice - is because the matches are quite short.

Well there are definitely more skilled players than our NL Inklings team (as one can see on Squidboards, Twitch and Youtube), that's for sure. But guess we have a decent level and hopefully improve after playing regularly together. I'll post the link when we're going live on Saturday.

Sure, if you should be playing Splatoon 2 one day, let me know. I might someday do the same with OW.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

GreyGoatee

So I took the plunge and picked up splatoon 2 last week and I'm happy to say it's bloody great!
I just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations. it's quickly become my favourite game on the switch so far.
even when we don't win a game it's still such a fun game to play.
it started to feel like every game on switch was a super hard metroidvania type game and I can't be annoyed with those type of games anymore.

My extremely user friendly code thingy (cos nintendo allowing adding gamertags would have been such a hassle!!!)
sw-1114-8148-5233

bluemage1989

It is so great hearing other father's here reflecting what happens in my home my four year old daughter loves playing Arms Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 and my two year old son enjoys eagerly encouraging!! Sharing this hobby with them feels so special and watching them grow in ability is great. Nintendo is the definition of family gaming even my wife enjoys some platforming. I have a nackering job so don't always have the energy for online but if something is occurring will try and get involved.

Bit off topic but what is everyone's line of work??

bluemage1989

Ralek85

@shani Hi shani, I'd love to join you guys, but unfortunately, I won't be home between Wednesday and Saturday, so I won't have access to any of my systems (well, aside from the Switch of course, though I doubt I'll have much time for that either). It's a really busy week =(

If you like, you can leave a link to the stream though, maybe I'll manage to take a peek and do some relaxing while watching you guys kick a** ^^

Edited on by Ralek85

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Mr_Humpf

41 year old married father of three (all boys) (yes I am tired). I work in marketing (mainly graphic design based). Currently playing Bayonetta 2. Also: BoTW, ARMS, MK8, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, Pokken DX, Fire Emblem Warriors, XC2, Skyrim, I am Setsuna, Fast RMX, Rocket League, Steamworld Dig 2, Rive, Thumper, Overcooked, Snipperclips... Friend code in the footer.

Edited on by Mr_Humpf

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

Haruki_NLI

@Ralek85 @shani Dont expect A tier play from me either. Not with my control scheme XD

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic