Forums

Topic: Adult Switch Gamers

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,648

Ralek85

@Mips I absolutely recommend Golf Story, to any one who thinks they could 'tolerate' Golf as the central mechanic of the game, and to anyone who does not flat-out hated everything about Earthbound.

It's my favorite e-shop game on the Switch sofar, and quite honestly, one of my favorite experiences on the system in general. That is no small part due to the game coming virtually out of nowhere, with not kind of expectations attached, but beyond that it's also just obvious from the 1st second of playing, that this is truly a labor of love.

The game is extremely charming, filled to brim with small, yet highly appreciated details, all based around a suprisingly fun and solid mechanic of golfing - used to do about anything you would think you'd be doing in a Earthbound inspired RPG.

I'd go sofar as to say, that is one of the best games to ever capture the mood of Shigesato Itoi work, and Nintendo would be insane, if they didn't go out of their way to bring the folks of Sidebar Games into their employ. I mean Golf Story would feel right at home on a SNES, or Gameboy Color - and I mean that in the best way possible. It really harks back to those sensibilities in a big way, while adding some smart and modern twists to old formulas (which still have been rarely used in the last decade).

If you are still sceptical (fair enough), just wait for a sale - although it's definitely worth the more than fair asking price. Like I said, if golf is not intolerable to you, and if you do not utterly despise Earthbound, you should make sure to check it out at some point.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Mips

Nice one - checking out some youtube let's plays now πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited on by Mips

Mips

Mr_Boegard

Cool idea to search for adult Switch gamers. Add me!

Switch Friend Code SW-1327-2817-7791
3DS: 4012-9159-3173
Steam ID: hbk2718

Krull

I'm up for Mario Aces, too! I love a good tennis game. Hadn't even thought about online play, TBH, but I'm definitely interested.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

jtmnm

It's been a while since I posted in here! I still get adds from this forum, but I'm always looking for more!

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902 | Twitter:

Rich10

Would be nice to go up against (or with) a few fellow older gamers, Zelda's my current timesink, but I like to mix in some Splatoon from time to time. My code is below, I'll also add some of you too.

Cheers.

Edited on by Rich10

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

Ralek85

@Mr_Boegard Friend request accepted!

@Rich10 @JTMnM I send you guys a friend request.

I really hope Aces will turn out ... aces. Looking forward to finally getting some online action on the Switch then!

Lroy

Hadn't realised there was an 'adults only' area to exchange friend codes. Great idea. I'm 38 years young. Always up for adding more like-minded Switch buddies. Be cool to see what you're playing via the profile activity log and maybe see you online for a game or two. My Switch friend code is in my signature below. Cheers.

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Ralek85

@Lroy 'Adults only' makes it sound kinda ... dirty? ^^

Anyways, I'm really starting to wish the Switch's friend system was a bit more elaborate. I'd love to be able to attach comments/notes to friends, send them messages via the Switch, and maybe even put them into groups (with stuff like ... text and audio chat).

The way the system is setup, I find it hard to 'form a community', so to speak. At the very least, even though I'm not currently very active in terms of playing online, I still manage to keep in touch with folks on PSN simply thanks to the community features and party chat. It's just a shame that the Switch is so ... incredibly basic in that regard, almost anachronistic really.

Lroy

@Ralek85 I can appreciate those frustrations with the Switch friends list/communications features or lack there of. I rarely play online with other people I know but would definitely do it more if I was part of a community. Playing against randoms is okay but doesn't really motivate me to keep coming back.

Ralek85

@Lroy Yeah, absolutely. It's a shame too, because I feel like the Switch and many Nintendo games, would be a fantastic place to form a community around. I mean, obviously it's not impossible, but it always demands quite a bit of extra effort, and in many instances - certaily in my case - I find myself just ... not bothering to that extra mile. I really hope that 2018 will be the year where Nintendo finally manages to catch-up as far as system features and the overall online ecosystem goes. There is plenty of room to grow.

Lroy

@Ralek85 I'm new to this thread obviously but perhaps we could start a relaxed weekly games night? Keep it simple to start, like maybe Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - create a room/tournament whatever and set a time window of a couple hours for us to jump in? Then maybe try a different game the following week? We could pick the same evening each week or mixing it up. Whatever is easiest for people. Further down the line we could also pick another game to high-score compete which we could all chip away at over a week and post our scores here?

Ralek85

@Lroy I don't have MK8 DX yet (I felt like I already got that base covered on the WiiU), but in general, I'd be willing to pick it up for the sake of some community building. I'd definitely be down for Aces, since, like I said, it's been ages since I've played a fun arcade tennis game (fingers crossed it'll be good).

I also haven't played ARMS in a good long while. I don't even have Splatoon 2 yet, but I'd definitely be interested in getting that, particurarly for that Salmon Run mode, if I had like a proper party for it. I really enjoyed Horde Modes in some other games, like Gears of War for instance.

I'd also love to get some voice chat going, because otherwise ... well, it's more or less like playing with randoms, meaning not much sense of community. The way the Switch deals with voice chat is kinda iffy though, and I haven't bought one of those silly adapters yet, and I'm not sure I really want to. It just, well, it pi**es me off to be quite frank. I already have all kinds of devices here, ranging from a basic BT headset, to a Mixamp+HF+Clip-On-Mic to a Skullcandy Wireless HS, I don't want to spend more, and more importantly, I don't want to have more devices and cables lying around sigh.

What I can do is grabbing the audio feed from the Switch in dock mode via a HDMI splitter, and mixing that with USB chat audio, for instance from PSN or any PC application if necessary (Xbox is trickier since it's not supporting USB soundcards).

Sorry, that's probably more information than you needed though ^^

Which time zone are you in btw? I'm UTC+01:00 (German ^^).

darthstuey

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ€“ I’ve really enjoyed reading through this thread so well done for creating it. I’m a soon to be 46 years young gamer who has also been doing this since gridrunner on the VIC20 and Adventure on the Atari 2600.
I’ve spent most of the last two months away from the Switch as I’ve just discovered Atari Age and the home brew community there. It is incredible stuff. This weekend I’ve been playing nothing but Commando, Badlands, Llamatron and Revenge of the Mutant camels on my Atari Jaguar. I never thought I’d see the day. The home brew carts are absolutely a labour of love and very nice to hold and cuddle every now and again.
Anyway- I digress. You know what- I’ve never gotten into this online stuff. My kids play nothing but online and it does my head in. When I bought the youngest Battlefront I was disgusted to see all it was was online people running around and shooting each other. When I asked him where the story was, he looked at me like I was stupid.
So I probably won’t be adding any friend codes here as I don’t play online but I would love to drop in here from time to time and catch up on the woes of the old and that 21 year old dude.
😘

darthstuey

Twitter:

Old-Red

Hey, fellow aging gamer here. I'm up for joing a group of oldies. Switch code is in my sig. I particularly like the idea of high score swapping and online events. I tried to get some mates into swapping fzero times on the snes mini but they couldn't be bothered.

Switch: SW-0146-2622-4046

Old-Red

Ralek85 wrote:

@Lroy I'd also love to get some voice chat going, because otherwise ... well, it's more or less like playing with randoms, meaning not much sense of community. The way the Switch deals with voice chat is kinda iffy though, and I haven't bought one of those silly adapters yet, and I'm not sure I really want to.

Discord is the way to go for community chat.

Switch: SW-0146-2622-4046

Lroy

I've not used Discord before (willing to learn) but have used Skype for chat in Mario Kart 8 on Wii U. Assume it will be just as easy for Switch games. Switch games with online I have are MK8 DELUXE, SUPER BOMBERMAN R, ARMS, PUYO PUYO TETRIS, SPLATOON 2, ROCKET LEAGUE, PINBALL FX 3 among others. Loads of arcade games on Switch too, so all set for high-score chasing. I'm on UK time.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

@darthstuey I'd be up for some form of online around retro titles. High scores, lap times etc.

Ralek85

@Old-Red I rarely use Discord, but yeah, I for one am certainly okay with using it for this purpose. I'll just loop in my PC with USB. Should be fine.

@Lroy A fellow European then, that certainly makes things easier

Personally, I'm not really big on arcade games, and highscore chasing or time trials in general. It was just never something I had a passion for, so in that regard, you gotta count me out unfortunately. That aside, I'd consider picking up Splatoon 2 and booting up Discord for some ... uhm community building trash talk ^^

One thing that kept me from engaging with Splatoon 2 (besides the silly voice chat "solution") is that I read that you cannot just form a party (like say you would in Overwatch), and then join a match together. Basically, you have to go in one by one and you can and will definitely end up on opposing sides, which is a real bummer to me. I'm not sure if anything about this has changed, and I think it works differently for Salmon Run and Ranked matches, but maybe some active player could shed some light for me on how playing together works, and how easily one can set it up.

I remember other games, where folks had to join one by one (back in the day), but that as always a hassle, even though back then, I did not mind it that much, since I simply had plenty more time on my hand, and, well, I guess overall just more patience with life in general ^^

javman05

Add away lads, 42 year old gamer here, currently playing odyssey, kart, fifa and rocket league. Soon to start zelda

Mario/Kart/Fifa player amongst others

Add away SW-0735-9217-1217

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic