Forums

Topic: Adult Switch Gamers

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,574

erv

@JasmineDragon you're not the first to share this sentiment in my case. I've always liked shooters from the get go and I like splatoon a lot, the funny thing is that long time gamers that weren't that much of a shooter fan seemed to be quite attracted to it as well. It's kinda unique in that sense too

The anatomically awesome evello is bringing the fame and glory!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

StuTwo

@erv I think it's because shooting accuracy is not as highly valued and even someone who "misses" the target is still contributing. No K/D ratio on the results screen to make you feel bad either (and whatever results are displayed disappear within a few seconds anyway).

I also love that the game doesn't allow you to be kerb stomped time and time again. You might lose a few games but then you'll win a few but you won't consistently come across co-ordinated teams in Turf Wars because the mode doesn't let you organise teams.

I can't remember which game or which developer it was but I know one of them said that they had statistics which said if a players first experience of playing others online was a bad one where they were "picked on" then a very high majority would never enter the online mode again.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

andykara2003

Any Mario Tennis fans here? I'm old (46), love the series & am looking for oldies to play with when Aces comes out

Edited on by andykara2003

Switch friend code : SW-2186-1426-3518

Nintendo Network ID: Andykara2003

Ralek85

@andykara2003 It'll depend on how good Aces will turn out to be, and whether I can find the free time to play it online, but as an old hand at Virtua Tennis (prime reason for my PS3 to still be plugged-in), I'm definitely interested.

So far, I've played virtually nothing on the Switch online to be honest though. Given the single-player content with absolute time-killers like Zelda and Xenoblade it was just not possible. Things might slow down till spring, when Aces supposedly launches, hence I'd say there is a good chance, I'd be up for a match here an there.

You can find my FC down below. Feel free to add me, if you don't already have!

Edited on by Ralek85

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Mips

@Ralek85 Excellent thanks I'll add you now. I absolutely love Virtual tennis as well, I might have to get my PS3 copy out.

Edited on by Mips

Mips

Ralek85

@Mips The more the merrier

It's kinda insane to me that there hasn't been a new VT or anything compareable since 2011. I get that tennis isn't basketball, soccer, football or even golf (apparently), but still, it's a major sport and it lends itself really well to videogames imho. A new VT game would be a dream come true. Hell, at this point, I'd be even happy about a Switch port of VT4 - maybe with some minor upgrades and additions here and there.

In addition I would REALLY love to see the folks behind Golf Story (amazing game, if you haven't checked it out yet) to tackle tennis next, because I had a really fun time with Golf Story, and unlike tennis, I'm not even into golf in any particular way, shape or form.

Mips

I'm really tempted to try Golf story, sounds great. I know, no one seems to want to bring out an arcade tennis game these days. Ultra smash was not too great & im not so into the more sim like games. Here's hoping they do a good job with aces. I just want pure tennis with no gimmicks - I hated the mega mushroom mechanic in ultra smash.

Mips

Ralek85

@Mips I absolutely recommend Golf Story, to any one who thinks they could 'tolerate' Golf as the central mechanic of the game, and to anyone who does not flat-out hated everything about Earthbound.

It's my favorite e-shop game on the Switch sofar, and quite honestly, one of my favorite experiences on the system in general. That is no small part due to the game coming virtually out of nowhere, with not kind of expectations attached, but beyond that it's also just obvious from the 1st second of playing, that this is truly a labor of love.

The game is extremely charming, filled to brim with small, yet highly appreciated details, all based around a suprisingly fun and solid mechanic of golfing - used to do about anything you would think you'd be doing in a Earthbound inspired RPG.

I'd go sofar as to say, that is one of the best games to ever capture the mood of Shigesato Itoi work, and Nintendo would be insane, if they didn't go out of their way to bring the folks of Sidebar Games into their employ. I mean Golf Story would feel right at home on a SNES, or Gameboy Color - and I mean that in the best way possible. It really harks back to those sensibilities in a big way, while adding some smart and modern twists to old formulas (which still have been rarely used in the last decade).

If you are still sceptical (fair enough), just wait for a sale - although it's definitely worth the more than fair asking price. Like I said, if golf is not intolerable to you, and if you do not utterly despise Earthbound, you should make sure to check it out at some point.

Mips

Nice one - checking out some youtube let's plays now πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited on by Mips

Mips

Mr_Boegard

Cool idea to search for adult Switch gamers. Add me!

Switch Friend Code SW-1327-2817-7791
3DS: 4012-9159-3173
Steam ID: hbk2718

Krull

I'm up for Mario Aces, too! I love a good tennis game. Hadn't even thought about online play, TBH, but I'm definitely interested.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

JTMnM

It's been a while since I posted in here! I still get adds from this forum, but I'm always looking for more!

JTMnM

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902

Rich10

Would be nice to go up against (or with) a few fellow older gamers, Zelda's my current timesink, but I like to mix in some Splatoon from time to time. My code is below, I'll also add some of you too.

Cheers.

Edited on by Rich10

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

Ralek85

@Mr_Boegard Friend request accepted!

@Rich10 @JTMnM I send you guys a friend request.

I really hope Aces will turn out ... aces. Looking forward to finally getting some online action on the Switch then!

Lroy

Hadn't realised there was an 'adults only' area to exchange friend codes. Great idea. I'm 38 years young. Always up for adding more like-minded Switch buddies. Be cool to see what you're playing via the profile activity log and maybe see you online for a game or two. My Switch friend code is in my signature below. Cheers.

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€|
Retro Gamer

Ralek85

@Lroy 'Adults only' makes it sound kinda ... dirty? ^^

Anyways, I'm really starting to wish the Switch's friend system was a bit more elaborate. I'd love to be able to attach comments/notes to friends, send them messages via the Switch, and maybe even put them into groups (with stuff like ... text and audio chat).

The way the system is setup, I find it hard to 'form a community', so to speak. At the very least, even though I'm not currently very active in terms of playing online, I still manage to keep in touch with folks on PSN simply thanks to the community features and party chat. It's just a shame that the Switch is so ... incredibly basic in that regard, almost anachronistic really.

Lroy

@Ralek85 I can appreciate those frustrations with the Switch friends list/communications features or lack there of. I rarely play online with other people I know but would definitely do it more if I was part of a community. Playing against randoms is okay but doesn't really motivate me to keep coming back.

Retro Gamer

Ralek85

@Lroy Yeah, absolutely. It's a shame too, because I feel like the Switch and many Nintendo games, would be a fantastic place to form a community around. I mean, obviously it's not impossible, but it always demands quite a bit of extra effort, and in many instances - certaily in my case - I find myself just ... not bothering to that extra mile. I really hope that 2018 will be the year where Nintendo finally manages to catch-up as far as system features and the overall online ecosystem goes. There is plenty of room to grow.

Lroy

@Ralek85 I'm new to this thread obviously but perhaps we could start a relaxed weekly games night? Keep it simple to start, like maybe Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - create a room/tournament whatever and set a time window of a couple hours for us to jump in? Then maybe try a different game the following week? We could pick the same evening each week or mixing it up. Whatever is easiest for people. Further down the line we could also pick another game to high-score compete which we could all chip away at over a week and post our scores here?

Retro Gamer

Ralek85

@Lroy I don't have MK8 DX yet (I felt like I already got that base covered on the WiiU), but in general, I'd be willing to pick it up for the sake of some community building. I'd definitely be down for Aces, since, like I said, it's been ages since I've played a fun arcade tennis game (fingers crossed it'll be good).

I also haven't played ARMS in a good long while. I don't even have Splatoon 2 yet, but I'd definitely be interested in getting that, particurarly for that Salmon Run mode, if I had like a proper party for it. I really enjoyed Horde Modes in some other games, like Gears of War for instance.

I'd also love to get some voice chat going, because otherwise ... well, it's more or less like playing with randoms, meaning not much sense of community. The way the Switch deals with voice chat is kinda iffy though, and I haven't bought one of those silly adapters yet, and I'm not sure I really want to. It just, well, it pi**es me off to be quite frank. I already have all kinds of devices here, ranging from a basic BT headset, to a Mixamp+HF+Clip-On-Mic to a Skullcandy Wireless HS, I don't want to spend more, and more importantly, I don't want to have more devices and cables lying around sigh.

What I can do is grabbing the audio feed from the Switch in dock mode via a HDMI splitter, and mixing that with USB chat audio, for instance from PSN or any PC application if necessary (Xbox is trickier since it's not supporting USB soundcards).

Sorry, that's probably more information than you needed though ^^

Which time zone are you in btw? I'm UTC+01:00 (German ^^).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic