Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 321 to 340 of 415

Grumblevolcano

@NaviAndMii It's also good for those who don't like achievements/trophies because you get to enjoy the game whatever way you want and not be penalized.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

@Grumblevolcano I dunno...I just largely ignore them to be honest - and don't really feel penalised for doing so either.

I played hundreds of hours of Skyrim - and over a thousand hours of GTAV - and was never tempted to go for the platinum...even though (in GTAV in particular) I only had a couple of relatively straightforward things left to do - I could just never be bothered and always felt that there was something more fun I could be doing with my time!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Ryzaerian

I personally really hope to see achievements with the introduction of the paid service in September.

Look, if it’s not for you, I respect that. They’re optional.

But for many players (I’d venture the majority), myself included, they add another dimension and more replay value to the games. Simply put, they make gaming more fun for us, and that’s ultimately what it’s all about, isn’t it?

I think it’s time for Nintendo to catch up to the rest of the consoles with a persistent achievement system on the Switch. I personally know of folks who are put off by the lack of one.

And ultimately, there’s only things to gain, especially in the form of new players. There is no downside.

Edited on by Ryzaerian

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

Grumblevolcano

Minecraft Nintendo Switch Edition is the first Switch game to get achievements though don't expect this to become the norm as it's associated with your Xbox Live account, not the Switch itself.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Snadertjuh

I don't know how the achievement system works on the Xbox or Playstation. If Nintendo introduce a system I think the replayability of games will be big. For example, I think I will play BotW again if there are achievements like kill XX (insert number) Bokoblins.
The same goes for other games I already finished. I really like to complete achievements and that could be a reason to pick up the games I played again.
It should also be fun to compare achievements with friends or share them on social media. It will be free marketing for (Nintendo) games.

From Holland, SW-8284-9406-5119

Ryzaerian

Aside from a couple of salty kids who have some irrational beef with achievements, and have decided they’re gonna do their best to ruin it for everyone else as well, there is absolutely no downside to the addition of an achievement system.

More fun, cross-game completion-tracking, new challenges, tons of added replayability, etc...

Really hoping to see Nintendo catch up. In this regard, they’re a decade behind.

Edited on by Ryzaerian

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

Ryzaerian

MarcelRguez wrote:

Ryzaerian wrote:

Aside from a couple of salty kids who have some irrational beef with achievements

"No downsides"

That is genuinely one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

We should avoid achievements because they’re too much fun to pursue, and weak-minded snails like the “author” of that terrible high school diary entry can’t resist the compulsion.

Some clown’s inability to exhibit self-control will not stop me from hoping for a system already adopted by every other serious gaming platform. Why do you think that is, btw? Because people hate achievements?

Stop it. If you’re in the tiny minority of people who think added fun, content, and replayability are a bad idea, so be it. I have no control over your stupidity.

But please, don’t act like you have a legitimate argument, and stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

Edited on by Ryzaerian

MarcelRguez

Ryzaerian wrote:

But please, don’t act like you have a legitimate argument

Let's play a fun game: go all the way back to post #150 and start reading from there.

I'll also let you know that this bad internet dude persona of yours doesn't add anything of worth to your posts. Neither does the name-calling, Mr. 38 years-old, it's not a substitute for an actual argument. Either debate your position or let the actual adults talk.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Ryzaerian

@marcelrguez Lmao. Dude, I don’t know who you think you are, who you think you’re talking to, or who this approach has worked on in the past.

I will express whatever I like, and I will do so however I feel is appropriate or entertaining at the moment.

Now, you’re welcome to disagree with me. However, the moment you attempt to police me or attack me using some voluntarily-shared personal detail that you obsessively researched, I’m going to cordially invite you to do you know what to yourself.

Don’t take yourself so seriously, kid. No one else does, I promise.

MarcelRguez

What's with criticizing achievements that turns otherwise normal posters into cackling baboons, seriously.

@Ryzaerian Obsesively researched? It's right there on your profile.

Ryzaerian wrote:

Now, you’re welcome to disagree with me.

Apparently not, since by your own word any beef one might have with achievements is irrational or stupid.

Either you adhere to your edgy take-no-prisoners persona or you actually welcome disagreement. You can't do both.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Ryzaerian

@marcelrguez As much as I appreciate you hanging on my every word and obsessively (see what I did there?) responding to my posts in a prompt manner, this is pointless.

Am I emotionally vested in wanting to see achievements? Absolutely. For the majority of players, they improve the gaming experience. That’s proven by their popularity and universal (with the exception of Nintendo) implementation. I miss the hell out of them on this system. It makes things somewhat less fun.

So yeah, I do take it somewhat personally when people give laughable, asinine arguments (like the article you linked) to oppose their implementation.

Furthermore, I personally know of people who haven’t bought a Switch precisely because of the lack of a persistent progress and achievement system. I genuinely believe that the implementation would result in increased sales. People really like this stuff (myself included, obviously). Whether you agree is largely irrelevant.

It is your right to have no interest in something, regardless of how popular. However, when you begin to push that preference onto other people, you’re crossing a line. You’re being selfish.

And before you try to flip it on me, let’s be clear: you don’t have to participate in the achievement system if you don’t want to. You can ignore it.

I, and the majority of players like me who want achievements, don’t have a choice. We deserve one.

Edited on by Ryzaerian

MarcelRguez

@Ryzaerian See? That's much better. You're actually giving me something to go on here.

What you don't seem to be focusing on is that the conversation about achievements ITT doesn't revolve around their popularity or whether or not their inclusion would increase sales. I haven't seen anyone post here claiming that they aren't popular or that adding achievements to the Switch would lower hardware or software sales. It wouldn't, that's a fact. The nature of achievements and their effects on player psychology is the more interesting conversation to have, and that's why I linked you to that article. All you've replied to that is that his points are asinine and that achievements add fun, content and replayability, so I ask: How, exactly? And as a follow-up, are those actually meaningful additions, or is there a better way to implement "fun, content and replayability" into a given game?

Ryzaerian wrote:

I do take it somewhat personally

And why is that? You seemed to think people have a right to express their opinions a moment ago, right? So what exactly makes people arguing against this feature—which, for all intents and purposes, is present in most platforms and games—so offensive? What do you have to lose, exactly? If anything, you've already won, and people posting their thoughts on a forum isn't going to make the feature disappear.

Ryzaerian wrote:

However, when you begin to push that preference onto other people, you’re crossing a line. You’re being selfish.

If I was doing this in my daily life, shoving uncalled for arguments in the face of people I don't know, you'd be right. You're missing the larger context of what this is, however: an internet forum, not an echo-chamber. It invites discussion by definition, you can't "push a preference" in these spaces.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

EvilLucario

I mean, I personally don't give a rat's ass about them one way or another. I'll do them if I like a game a lot. Like I'm going for the Bayonetta not-achievements right now, but if I didn't love Bayonetta like I do I wouldn't care.

They're still skinner boxes of fake content, though, unless you're actively getting something for them, and perhaps that's why other people don't like them. But whatever, that's not my prerogative to assume. I think if there were to be achievements, they need to mean something more, like Odyssey's Toadette Moons.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

@EvilLucario Skinner box is the exact term I used to describe them earlier in this thread, so at least in my case you'd be correct in your assumption.

I think yours is a healthy mindset to have about them. I was the same, but I ended up dropping them altogether regardless.

MarcelRguez

EvilLucario

@MarcelRguez Ah damn, I don't intend to copy word-for-word but then again, "skinner box" is a pretty apt label imo.

Anyway, I think people wouldn't have a "problem" with Achievements/Trophies if they were all system-integrated and was more substantial like Odyssey or Sakurai-developed games. It'll mask the skinner box aspect pretty well, and you'll still get something in the game from them, be it Moons or whatever.

That leaves out third-parties, though, where they don't adhere to those rules on Sony/Microsoft and they probably wouldn't bother for Nintendo. Meh.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

shaneoh

Ryzaerian wrote:

For the majority of players, they improve the gaming experience.

Do you have any research to back that statement up?

Ryzaerian wrote:

I, and the majority of players like me who want achievements, don’t have a choice. We deserve one.

The universe owes you nothing.

EvilLucario wrote:

Anyway, I think people wouldn't have a "problem" with Achievements/Trophies if they were all system-integrated and was more substantial like Odyssey or Sakurai-developed games.

I wouldn't have a problem with them if I could opt out, which no implementation of achievements has done so far. Am I repeating myself here?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Octane

@shaneoh Just ignore them

Like the countless Moons in Odyssey, or the Korok Seeds in Zelda. If I can ignore achievements, so can you. I wouldn't even know how many trophies I have on my PS4, that's how little I care and how little they affect my gaming experience. Nobody is forcing you to collect them.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@EvilLucario Exactly, I don't have much of a problem when it's done in such a way because in those cases the feature isn't part of a larger (platform-integrated) system and chances are it was the developers' intention to add them. They are part of the game ar that point, unlike Achievements and Trophies.

MarcelRguez

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.