Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 221 to 240 of 415

rallydefault

@shaneoh
Thank you for considering my analogy in a mature way - I appreciate it.

Honest question for those who hate achievements (and, by many of your own statements, actively avoid systems that include them): How do you feel about games like Shovel Knight that have achievements (feats) built into the game, hence making them a "mandatory" experience of the game according to our resident scholar, @MarcelRguez? This occurs even in the Switch version, a platform that does not include achievements otherwise. Do you avoid these games altogether, regardless of how spectacular they are hailed? (Shovel Knight's gotta be one of my favorite recent games.) Or does the plot thicken, and you are willing to overlook certain scenarios?

rallydefault

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez

Thanks, but can you parse that down for me, please? You're distinguishing between OS and game achievements?

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

@rallydefault

MarcelRguez wrote:

I even mentioned in another post that I usually have less of a problem with achievements that are integrated correctly into the game (think Shovel Knight on a Nintendo system/with notifications off) because:

• They don't clash aesthetically with the game proper
  • They don't feel like an intrusion of the platform into the game (meaning, product placement)
  • I can be sure the devs had the intention of adding them in the first place.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Fearlof

I’m also really wishing for an achievement / trophy system, but it would have to be implanted in the system itself.
I find it funny that a lot of the games I got on my switch got achievements in them, like the developers are giving us achievements while Nintendo keep denying it.
Having a hard time understanding people being against it, it’s not like it would change anything for them -.-

Fearlof

broknplaya

I am actually holding off from buying a Nintendo Switch until there is confirmation of OS level achievement system. I have a huge library of X1 games and when i play a game and get all the achievements, I feel like i mastered every part of the game and have seen everything the developers had to offer.

Im sure im not the only one that feels the same way.

broknplaya

TuVictus

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be buying a Switch if that's what you're waiting for. I doubt they're doing anything on the OS level

TuVictus

ValhallaOutcast

@broknplaya you dont get a platinum for geting every korok seed in BOTW you get a poop

it might be Nintendos way of mocking trophy hunters ?

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

TuVictus

There's always going to be the one dummy that abuses the system for their sub parts game but that's going to happen with anything

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

@Ralizah I was this close to post this article myself, but I decided to give the topic a rest.

At least in this case the devs are upfront with what their product is: an excuse to sell people a set of easily obtainable trophies. Might have its uses as a skinner box, I guess.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Lethal

ValhallaOutcast wrote:

@broknplaya you dont get a platinum for geting every korok seed in BOTW you get a poop

it might be Nintendos way of mocking trophy hunters ?

Sounds like a huge slap in the face to those who took the time to acquire all the seeds. At least on a PS4 you would have something showcasing that feat.

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

At least on a PS4 you would have something showcasing that feat.

The people who get it do have something to show for it; their Korok seed counter will be at 900.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

ValhallaOutcast

@shaneoh but but but the people you dont know wont know that you know that they know

shaneoh

@ValhallaOutcast
Ah, that's where the screenshot button comes in: press it, then the person can share it to social media, and anyone who sees it will lust after the poster, and they will become famous, and they'll cure cancer, create world peace and stop the heat death of the universe.

TuVictus

I love the screenshot button and hope it's a step towards a proper achievement system, even if its not on this console. I think it's only a matter of time, thankfully

TuVictus

ValhallaOutcast

@shaneoh lol thank god for screenshots, nobody would even know you own the game

shaneoh

Operative2-0 wrote:

I think it's only a matter of time, thankfully

As long as there is the option to completely disable it I won't complain.

@ValhallaOutcast
Yeah, if it weren't there nobody would know which games I have, which would make it harder for them to emulate me in all my coolness.

Edited on by shaneoh

ValhallaOutcast

@shaneoh Ya I am often catching my self on psnprofiles.com look at other peoples trophy card wondering how different my life would be if I was more like them

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/06/weirdness_a_ps4_game_i...

So, stuff like this happpens as a result of trophy fetishism too.

Although I won't swear this isn't satire.

Sony already removed the Platinum trophy. So I guess it's good that there's some quality control over what's allowed and what isn't. This game only existed for its trophy, so it's good to see they took action.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.