Forums

Topic: 2019 will redeem 2018

Posts 1 to 20 of 128

ilikeike

I think it's safe to sat that 2018 hasn't exactly been the year that most Nintendo fans have been hoping for. Sure, we've gotten some cool Switch games like Mario Tennis Aces and Octopath Traveler, but much of the year has been filled with Wii U and third-party ports which, while cool in their own way, can't hold a candle to brand-new first-party exclusives. The big Pokemon game for this year is already stirring up significant controversy among the fanbase. The online service also looks to disappoint much of the Nintendo community. Smash Bros Ultimate seems to be the only universally-hyped upcoming Switch game, but that isn't even arriving until the very end of the year. Especially comparing 2018's releases with Nintendo's incredible 2017, this year feels like even more of a letdown.

But 2019, on the other hand--this will be a special year. Unlike the end of 2017, in which we were left in the dark as to what the next year would bring, here we are in 2019 with an already-stellar idea of what 2019's lineup will look like. Next year, we will get:

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Daemon x Machina
Yoshi Switch
DOOM Eternal
Dragon Quest XI
Core Pokemon Game
Bayonetta 3 (possibly)
Trials Rising
Digimon Survive

And that's just to name a few. Notice that only one of those is a port--Dragon Quest XI. All of the other titles will be fully original, brand-new games on Switch. Not to mention the unannounced first- and third-party titles that will surely release next year as well. All in all, while 2018 might have disappointed some Nintendo enthusiasts, 2019 looks like it will have something for everybody, and I couldn't get more hyped.

Edited on by ilikeike

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

FaeKnight

I say speak for yourself. I am quite happy with the games released this year. Mind you, I didn't get my Switch until the end of July. But most of the games I've bought so far released this year. And I'm looking forward to one or two more this year. There's still a few from last year I want too, but those will have to wait till next year.

As for the games you say will "redeem" this year, I couldn't care less about most of them. I might be interested in Bayonetta 3. I've been continuing to play the first one on my XB360, and am strongly considering getting the first two games on Switch. Dragon Quest hasn't really excited me ever. I've not played any of the Yoshi games, and have no intention to start. I've avoided the Digimon games ever since I played the first Digimon World. Doom, I already own that on XB1 so not looking for another copy of it. And the others I ether never heard of or am not particularly excited about.

So how is this making next year "better" then this year's releases? Many of those Wii U ports you're disparaging I'm eying and thinking "I may give that a shot". For me these are games I've never had a chance to play before. And those 3rd party ports like Skyrim? Those are selling well too.

Also, you do realize Doom Eternal is a port of Doom (2016) for PC, XB1, and PS4 right?

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Octane

@FaeKnight Also, you do realize DOOM Eternal is a sequel to DOOM (2016) and thus a new game, right?

Octane

Matthew010

@ilikeike I hate to say but on your list, only Yoshi and maybe Pokemon excite me.

Matthew010

Alber-san

@ilikeike
The problem I see is that most of those games are extremely niche. Only Doom Eternal and Pokemon have a broader appeal.

Most of those games also have an equivalent this year (they appeal to similar audiences):
Yoshi= Kirby
FE= Octopath
Doom= Dark Souls/ Diablo/ Wolfenstein
Bayonetta= same as Doom
Pokemon= Smash
Dragon Quest= Torna DLC

This is still leaving out titles such as Pokemon Lets Go, MHGU, Starlink, WiiU ports, Mario Tennis and great indies. I think the real problem is that most of this year's releases are for the second half, while 2019 seems to have titles better spread out.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

FaeKnight

Huh, hadn't heard there was a sequel in the works. My understanding was that Doom Eternal was the title of the Switch port of Doom 2016.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I don't think 2018 needs redeeming, if anything it's 2019 that needs redeeming. The first full year of online game activity being reliant on a subscription purchase rather than just hardware sales.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tibob

So far I'm DE-LIGHTED with 2018 ! There's actually too many great games for me to keep up.

Tibob

I-U

I anticipate 2019 will be the overall better year, but there are a couple of titles around the corner this year that'll get my excitement back up for the Switch. I'm really looking forward to the simpler and more relaxed approach for Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee as Pokemon Go has been my main Pokemon experience since Pokemon Black. The "core" games haven't been connecting well with me over the X/Y and S/M generations. I find the idea of going back to the original Pokemon and Kanto to be very appealing. Then there's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate which almost seems like a dream game with just how much is going to be available for that experience. With the Metroid Series being my favorite, I'm ready to invest in the two newcomers: Ridley and Dark Samus. I still have my hopes that Sylux will be an AT too, which would make the representation perfect in my opinion for this game being a pre-Prime 4 release. 2018 has the opportunity to go out with a bang and I think it'll deliver.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

GrailUK

2018 is a game of two halves. Whilst it's easy to say Nintendo's first party output hasn't quite touched the dizzying heights of 2017 (yet), it's bloody obvious that 2018 has been much, much better regarding third party support. We are getting announcements (heck some even starting to be day and date with other consoles!) I reckon 2019 is going to be even better from all parties.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Magician

Compared to 2017, which delivered two GotY contenders, 2018 has been lackluster. But 2019 promises a lot of potentially awesome games. As an rpg fan, games like RPG Maker MV, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest XI, and Shin Megami Tensei V are on top of my anticipated list. But I think Nintendo is going to offer strong games in other genres as well.

2019 on Switch will not be a repeat of 2018's release schedule, which was mostly padded by Wii U ports.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Aozz101x

1st Party Wise 2019 will be much better.
but 2018 is pretty solid with alot of 3rd party games and indies.
im already planning to pick up:
Smash Bros Ultimate
Diablo 3
TWEWY
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Undertale
Monster Hunter Ultimate Generations.
Disgaea 1

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Magician I think 2019 is unlikely for SMT V.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

ilikeike

Ok, so here's a little clarification: I, personally, am happy with Nintendo's 2018. As a fan of RPGs, indies, and Smash Bros, this year has been pretty great for me. However, that doesn't change the fact that the majority of Nintendo's "major titles" this year have either been ports or fallen short of expectations (Kirby Star Allies, Sushi Striker). For those of you who, like myself, are pleased with 2018 so far, that's great! But from an unbiased, objective perspective, it cannot be denied that 2018 has not lived up to expectations following 2017. In 2017 we had massive, critically acclaimed and exclusive games arriving almost every month, whereas this year we've had only three brand new exclusive titles (Kirby, Aces, Octopath--not counting Labo since it's a bit more than just a game). But next year--again, from an objective perspective--we will have more big releases, more third party support, and more original exclusives, alongside evergeeen titles and the endless flow of great indies. That's why I insist that 2018 needs redeeming, and that 2019 will do just that.

GrailUK

@ilikeike 2017 games will sell Switches well in to 2019. Working as intended.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

ilikeike

@GrailUK Of course, and Smash Ultimate and possibly Pokemon Let's Go will do the same for 2019 and beyond. Switches have been selling just fine and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, this year's software lineup of original games is just a tad underwhelming is all.

StephenYap3

I dunno, ilikeike . 2018 may not have been as good as 2017, but 2018 is still great for me for the games I bought. Sure, there's been plenty of ports, but most of those ports are "first time" for me since I never got a chance to buy those games on the other systems. It may have been underwhelming in some months, but hey so was 2017 for me. Besides, unlike 2017's holiday lineup, Super Mario Party and Super Smash Bros Ultimate got me pumped for 2018's holiday lineup already.

As for 2019, the only game I'm truly hyped for is Doom Eternal. Yoshi Switch, at least going from its latest footage and info last year, looks to be underwhelming and hopefully the delay would give Good Feel Inc. enough time to make me turn my head. Core Pokémon game has no info yet, so I can't be excited for something I don't know. So far, 2019 isn't doing anything to wow me at the moment and hopefully Nintendo would get back on track for another mainline Animal Crossing game.

StephenYap3

ilikeike

@StephenYap3 If you're pumped for 2018's lineup, that's awesome! As a massive RPG and Smash fan, I'm also pretty happy with it personally. I've just seen many people online and in the real world complaining about Nintendo's lack of big first-party or original third-party games this year, so I wanted to point out that next year will likely be better in that regard.

And I agree, Animal Crossing is probably the biggest Nintendo franchise that needs a release in 2019. While Core Pokemon will doubtless be great, Nintendo needs one massive exclusive game for the year like they did last year with Mario Odyssey. AC would fill that gap perfectly.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.