Topic: 2018 Switch games

Posts 41 to 60 of 134

Aaron00

Umm... Why does your daughter have three copies of Fates?? @mav-i-am

Aaron00

mav-i-am

Birthright, Conquest and Revelation.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Krull

@mav-i-am Hmmm, you put a compelling case, sir! I agree that Fire Emblem can't compete with those numbers, and its sales won't rival those of the action games. If it hits 1m+ on Switch, it will have done well. It'll be around the ARMS level, most likely.

I guess it depends on your definition of system sellers - I was going on the assumption that they are games for which people will buy the system, not the games that sell most copies on a particular system. I'd still argue there are plenty of people who would buy a Switch just for the new Fire Emblem - though obviously not as many as would buy it for Zelda, Mario or Mario Kart. And there is always overlap. But strategy gamers can be a very hardcore bunch, and there's arguably less overlap with them than there might be with, for example, Mario Kart and Smash fans.

I'd also argue Fire Emblem has had a relatively late flowering. The fact that 2 million people downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes, the mobile app, on its first day alone suggests there is a big market out there.

tl;dr? Sorry...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

gcunit

I know this is a 2018 thread, but anyone else think Nintendo is holding back a surprise December 2017 game?

With BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, FIFA, Odyssey, it's a great first 6 months, but given that the Wii U had a couple of low key Decembers, I can't help feeling Nintendo will want to dominate Christmas sales with a big game launching. XC2 won't be that game, whether it releases this year or not. Neither will Skyrim.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

crimsontadpoles

gcunit wrote:

I know this is a 2018 thread, but anyone else think Nintendo is holding back a surprise December 2017 game?

With BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, FIFA, Odyssey, it's a great first 6 months, but given that the Wii U had a couple of low key Decembers, I can't help feeling Nintendo will want to dominate Christmas sales with a big game launching. XC2 won't be that game, whether it releases this year or not. Neither will Skyrim.

Not me. My assumption is that Super Mario Odyssey will be the game that Nintendo will be pushing hard in December. Of course, being Nintendo, it's hard to predict what they'll do.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

gcunit

@crimsontadpoles That's what I thought too until they said Odyssey was releasing in October. Just feels a few weeks too early to provide that Christmas 'smash' effect, but I'm the sort of person that doesn't think about Christmas until the week leading up to it.

And while Odyssey will be a big hit, having an alternative 'big hit' to offer as well would be even better.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NaviAndMii

Reggie gave a post-E3 interview to Waypoint (?) a few days ago with where he said...

"Our focus is on games that are largely going to be available between now and the end of the holiday season.

And when you look at that lineup, there's a strong game coming literally every month, starting tomorrow with ARMS, and then Splatoon 2, then in August is the Mario + Rabbids game, September, October with Super Mario Odyssey.

We've got that great pace of content, and I can tell you there's more to be announced."

Notice how he stops at October..?
...he was later directly asked about a possible Smash port and said:

"What I would say is this: the observation you have that, given the install base of Wii U, there was some fantastic content that consumers did not get to play.

"So that creates certainly a business opportunity. On the other hand, one of the things that we've discussed internally is, there really needs to be an additional element to that game to make it fresh, and to further compel the consumer to buy in."

I wouldn't want to read too much in to these comments but, as many of the above comments have eluded to, a 'Smash Deluxe' would seem to tick a lot of boxes...maybe it's one of those unannounced games he hinted at? ..maybe they felt they'd give ARMS the spotlight at E3, confident that an enhanced Smash port wouldn't need a big build-up in order to sell units? ...and there does seem to be room for a game in that post-Mario/pre-Christmas period - can anyone else hear the faint rumblings of a hype-train coming?!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I don't think Smash is this year, simply because they don't need another fighting game (...and might need another big game for next year tbh).

But it IS very odd that November is lacking a confirmed first party title.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Aaron00

Hmm... I can't see Smash releasing 2017 now. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the stock

Aaron00

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit I think December will be Xenoblade 2 and November being a Smash 4 port.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

If they were going to do a Smash port this year, they'd have announced it at E3. We might see one next year, but this year seems to be off the table at this point.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

mav-i-am

Krillin_ wrote:

@mav-i-am Hmmm, you put a compelling case, sir! I agree that Fire Emblem can't compete with those numbers, and its sales won't rival those of the action games. If it hits 1m+ on Switch, it will have done well. It'll be around the ARMS level, most likely.

I guess it depends on your definition of system sellers - I was going on the assumption that they are games for which people will buy the system, not the games that sell most copies on a particular system. I'd still argue there are plenty of people who would buy a Switch just for the new Fire Emblem - though obviously not as many as would buy it for Zelda, Mario or Mario Kart. And there is always overlap. But strategy gamers can be a very hardcore bunch, and there's arguably less overlap with them than there might be with, for example, Mario Kart and Smash fans.

I'd also argue Fire Emblem has had a relatively late flowering. The fact that 2 million people downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes, the mobile app, on its first day alone suggests there is a big market out there.

tl;dr? Sorry...

I agree numbers do not say if a game is a system seller, but anything else is just opinion, even sales when a game is released is a reflection of the accumulation of games available.

It looks like FE is on it's way up, but right now I would put it as a tier two game (again opinion!) I am hoping that it and Splatoon both take a step up to SS status!

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Aaron00

Do you think we could see a Batman trilogy release next year? I doubt it but it'd be nice. I never got to play the latest one.

Aaron00

Onaga

Aaron09 was there a Wii u batman game? I can't remember. I know there was one on 3ds.

Onaga

Grumblevolcano

@Onaga Yeah, Arkham City was ported to Wii U in the launch window. While being a very good port, the fact it was years old meant it didn't sell well.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

KirbyTheVampire

I don't expect to see Smash this year. 3 fighters in one year is too many IMO.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

I expect we'll see Smash next year. Nintendo would be very foolish not to port it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@KirbyTheVampire USFII, Arms, Pokken, Smash. that would be FOUR fighters in 6 months. With DBZ rumored as well. Plus all the Hamster ACA Neo Geo fighters.

Doe Smash even sell that well outside the Nintendo faithful that probably already bought it on 3DS and/or WiiU (excluding Brawl)?

NEStalgia

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.