Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 301 to 320 of 641

skywake

@LetsGoRetro:
I never said 2016 was out of the question. I said that a home console in 2016 is unlikely given how short a development cycle third parties would have. Nothing about this rumour disproves my position. At the absolute most it makes me:

• Slightly more convinced that the NX is a portable
  • Concerned about the launch lineup if its not

and that has been my position from the start. If we're at the "digging up old quotes" section of this discussion then here is one of my posts from before you chimed in. My point of view hasn't changed since then.

skywake wrote:

Basically we can be fairly confident that the NX is:
1. A device that games are specifically developed for
2. Is not a bridge device between mobile and portable gaming
3. Is not their QoL device or something built to only play their mobile software
4. Is being built taking into account the fact that Japan is not like the rest of the world
5. Is a successor to the Wii U or the 3DS but is not just a Wii U Mini or Newer New 3DS

Bringing it back to the thread topic again, could Zelda U appear on this if it's a home console? Definitely, I see no reason why it technically couldn't happen. So lets not pretend that it isn't a possibility. But again, the issue I have with the theory are the number of other ways it could play out. I also don't see it as being a particularly smart move unless they can do it gracefully. Without delays and without Wii U users feeling cheated. Assassin's Creed 4 did it well by giving you a free copy of the PS4 version if you got a PS3 copy at launch, I would hope that Nintendo would do something similar.

Though if it's a portable or a dramatically different architecture? If it's not a 2016 release? I can imagine it not playing out.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LetsGoRetro

NintendoFan64 wrote:

@LetsGoRetro: 1. Really? That is your logic? Alright...if that's how it works, then why didn't Nintendo try to shove the Wii out the door faster when the Gamecube was their lowest selling console?

I don't particularly remember the Gamecube scenario, but I'm fairly sure this one is a good deal worse. It just recently hit Dreamcast numbers. Gamecube had more 3rd party support, as the Wii U has close to zero. Different scenarios, different times.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

2. Who said that Nintendo wasn't making money? Remember, they made a return to profit this year, and didn't the Wii U actually start to make somewhat of a profit recently (someone correct me if I'm wrong. This is just going by what I've heard some people on these forums say). You really think that right when the system actually starts to make a profit, they're going to pull the plug on it?

This is already answered, but sure I'll do it again. How likely is this scenario:

"So, guys, we finally started turning a profit. The vast majority of it is due to the 3ds, but we don't really care where the profits come from. As long as we're making SOME profit, we're not going to try for more!"

Not very likely, right? This whole thread is full of people that just won't accept how bad the Wii U is doing. It's so stupid. "It's not that bad!" "It can still come back!" "What about THIS system 10 years ago!"

The Wii U is a failure. Get over it.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

3. I REALLY don't like your attitude. You treat your assumptions like they're absolute FACT, think that those that disagreed with you don't want Nintendo to "get back into the game", put words into people's mouths in order to make things better for you, and at times act like a smart-alec. So please: KNOCK IT OFF. Get a better attitude!
Edit: Also, here is a rather big wrench that clogs the gears that are grinding for your logic: You seem to believe the rumor that third-party developers just recently managed to get NX dev kits. If this is in fact true, there is no way in Hell there's going to be some good third-party support for it if it's coming out in the second quarter of next year! That is not enough time! They have to figure out how the system works, get used to programming for it, come up with a concept, go through the planning stages to figure out what they're gonna do with that concept, go through development, and then get rated by the ratings boards! If you want a finished product that's GOOD, then it's not gonna come out in such a short span of time. And in order to make sure that it has a better launch than the Wii U, the NX is gonna need a good launch lineup, and Nintendo probably isn't going to just throw all of their big hitters out the door at the very beginning, so it's going to need some third-party support.

Whatever, dude. I don't like YOUR attitude. Then don't start a conversation with me if you're going to say things like that. If I don't like people's attitudes, I ignore them. So feel free to do that.

My assumptions are my assumptions and I state them. What would make you happy, for me to add "imho" at the end of every sentence? What is the difference between one who states their assumptions and one who thinks they're facts? I'm stating what I believe, and I don't care if you don't agree. That's what this forum is for, to talk about it.

If you're going to jump in a thread and start all this, atleast read the last few pages. Do you know how many pages of this thread are about this third party thing you mention? It's ridiculous. So, here you go: It's been a month or 2 since we heard dev kits went out. It's November and Holiday 2016 means it's still 12 or 13 months from NX's release. What does that add up to? 14 or 15 months, right? That's not taking into account that companies likely had the dev kits before we heard about them. Good ports take about 18 months or so, I've read. That leaves plenty of time for them to hit the launch window. I'm not answering this question again man, lol. Enough. Simple math.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

@LetsGoRetro:
I never said 2016 was out of the question. I said that a home console in 2016 is unlikely given how short a development cycle third parties would have. Nothing about this rumour disproves my position. At the absolute most it makes me:

• Slightly more convinced that the NX is a portable
  • Concerned about the launch lineup if its not

and that has been my position from the start. If we're at the "digging up old quotes" section of this discussion then here is one of my posts from before you chimed in. My point of view hasn't changed since then.

skywake wrote:

Basically we can be fairly confident that the NX is:
1. A device that games are specifically developed for
2. Is not a bridge device between mobile and portable gaming
3. Is not their QoL device or something built to only play their mobile software
4. Is being built taking into account the fact that Japan is not like the rest of the world
5. Is a successor to the Wii U or the 3DS but is not just a Wii U Mini or Newer New 3DS

Bringing it back to the thread topic again, could Zelda U appear on this if it's a home console? Definitely, I see no reason why it technically couldn't happen. So lets not pretend that it isn't a possibility. But again, the issue I have with the theory are the number of other ways it could play out. I also don't see it as being a particularly smart move unless they can do it gracefully. Without delays and without Wii U users feeling cheated. Assassin's Creed 4 did it well by giving you a free copy of the PS4 version if you got a PS3 copy at launch, I would hope that Nintendo would do something similar.

Though if it's a portable or a dramatically different architecture? If it's not a 2016 release? I can imagine it not playing out.

Right, you feel the NX is not a home console releasing in 2016 and I feel it is. What's the problem? "Before I chimed in" is kind of funny as I started the thread lol. But I guess you mean before I first responded to you in particular?

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

As for your "a home console can't hit those numbers", I'm pretty sure they had extremely high and unrealistic numbers for the Wii U similar to this, didn't they? That would explain that, if so.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

And, for the record, the rumor is 20 million SHIPPED units. Not sold. Big difference.

LetsGoRetro

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Right, you feel the NX is not a home console releasing in 2016 and I feel it is. What's the problem?

The issue is that you're talking as if this rumour confirms that you were right all along. I never said that 2016 was out of the question. All I said that 2016 for a home console would be pretty rough and that if it's 2016 it makes more sense for it to be a portable system. It has nothing to do with "feelings" it's pretty cut and dry. Does this rumour make me look like a fool or not? I don't think it does. If 2016 is the year I maintain my concerns about the platform if it is a home console given the short development cycle. If it's a portable system then I was god-damn Nostradamus.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

"Before I chimed in" is kind of funny as I started the thread lol. But I guess you mean before I first responded to you in particular?

Your original topic is all but dead at this point. Are we talking about Zelda U at all? No. Are you still clinging to your original point about Zelda U skipping the Wii U? No. The entire reason we're arguing at all at this point is because you took issue with me saying that a 2016 home console was unlikely. So I was quoting something I said before you took the thread down that path. My views have not changed.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As for your "a home console can't hit those numbers", I'm pretty sure they had extremely high and unrealistic numbers for the Wii U similar to this, didn't they? That would explain that, if so.

Their sales targets for the Wii U were around 9 mill by the end of 2013. Not even the Wii hit 20mill in its first year and everyone including Nintendo were surprised at how well the Wii performed. 20mill for a home console is certainly possible but it's not realistic. Compare that to a portable system where 20mill is optimistic but not very. Good numbers for a portable system would be anything around 12-18mill in the first year. For a home console 8-12mill is good.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

And, for the record, the rumor is 20 million SHIPPED units. Not sold. Big difference.

Not really. They're not going to make orders that far above their sales estimates.

Edited on by skywake

NintendoFan64

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

@LetsGoRetro: 1. Really? That is your logic? Alright...if that's how it works, then why didn't Nintendo try to shove the Wii out the door faster when the Gamecube was their lowest selling console?

I don't particularly remember the Gamecube scenario, but I'm fairly sure this one is a good deal worse. It just recently hit Dreamcast numbers. Gamecube had more 3rd party support, as the Wii U has close to zero. Different scenarios, different times.

Alright, fair enough.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

2. Who said that Nintendo wasn't making money? Remember, they made a return to profit this year, and didn't the Wii U actually start to make somewhat of a profit recently (someone correct me if I'm wrong. This is just going by what I've heard some people on these forums say). You really think that right when the system actually starts to make a profit, they're going to pull the plug on it?

This is already answered, but sure I'll do it again. How likely is this scenario:

"So, guys, we finally started turning a profit. The vast majority of it is due to the 3ds, but we don't really care where the profits come from. As long as we're making SOME profit, we're not going to try for more!"

Not very likely, right? This whole thread is full of people that just won't accept how bad the Wii U is doing. It's so stupid. "It's not that bad!" "It can still come back!" "What about THIS system 10 years ago!"

But if it's where profits come from, shouldn't it still be something you should pay attention to?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

3. I REALLY don't like your attitude. You treat your assumptions like they're absolute FACT, think that those that disagreed with you don't want Nintendo to "get back into the game", put words into people's mouths in order to make things better for you, and at times act like a smart-alec. So please: KNOCK IT OFF. Get a better attitude!
Edit: Also, here is a rather big wrench that clogs the gears that are grinding for your logic: You seem to believe the rumor that third-party developers just recently managed to get NX dev kits. If this is in fact true, there is no way in Hell there's going to be some good third-party support for it if it's coming out in the second quarter of next year! That is not enough time! They have to figure out how the system works, get used to programming for it, come up with a concept, go through the planning stages to figure out what they're gonna do with that concept, go through development, and then get rated by the ratings boards! If you want a finished product that's GOOD, then it's not gonna come out in such a short span of time. And in order to make sure that it has a better launch than the Wii U, the NX is gonna need a good launch lineup, and Nintendo probably isn't going to just throw all of their big hitters out the door at the very beginning, so it's going to need some third-party support.

Whatever, dude. I don't like YOUR attitude. Then don't start a conversation with me if you're going to say things like that. If I don't like people's attitudes, I ignore them. So feel free to do that.

My assumptions are my assumptions and I state them. What would make you happy, for me to add "imho" at the end of every sentence? What is the difference between one who states their assumptions and one who thinks they're facts? I'm stating what I believe, and I don't care if you don't agree. That's what this forum is for, to talk about it.

The difference is that when treating assuptions as facts, you act as though they've been confirmed!

LetsGoRetro wrote:

If you're going to jump in a thread and start all this, at least read the last few pages. Do you know how many pages of this thread are about this third party thing you mention? It's ridiculous. So, here you go: It's been a month or 2 since we heard dev kits went out. It's November and Holiday 2016 means it's still 12 or 13 months from NX's release. What does that add up to? 14 or 15 months, right? That's not taking into account that companies likely had the dev kits before we heard about them. Good ports take about 18 months or so, I've read. That leaves plenty of time for them to hit the launch window. I'm not answering this question again man, lol. Enough. Simple math.

Uh...

LetsGoRetro wrote:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/rumour_nx_set_for_20...

@octane @skywake

Game over, boys! I hope everyone who said how stupid I was doesn't disappear! (Gee, I wonder if that'll happen)

It was common sense, guys. I told you. I know it's under rumor, but it's obvious it's happening if you're paying attention!

When I was going with how little time third-parties had to develop, it was because you stated that the rumor was obviously happening. Now you're saying it's happening during the holidays, which goes against the rumor that you've stated is happening, which stated that the NX is being released in Q2 of next year. Which is it? And as for the launch window...what about the launch DATE? I think it's important for them to have something available the day the system arrives!

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Captain_Toad

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Mr Retro. And suggesting that you be a bit more fair to the debaters, too.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

skywake

Lets just lay everything out on the table then....

Confirmed:

• NX is a piece of gaming hardware that games will be developed for
  • NX is a new platform not just a hardware revision
  • NX will connect to Nintendo's new account system (and so will 3DS and Wii U)

Rumoured:

• NX features "industry leading chips" ... but no specifics about how or by how much
  • NX development kits went out in October this year
  • Foxcon is manufacturing 20mill units to be shipped by the end of 2016
  • Amongst expected component suppliers (plastics etc) is Pixart Imaging. An image sensor manufacturer

Outside of the image sensor thing and the number of units there's not much to go on. Even then if those are true it could be a home console or a portable. Every piece of gaming hardware in the last two console cycles has had a camera at one point or another. It's also possible for both a portable and a home console to get close to 20mill. Industry leading chips tells us nothing and the development kits only being out recently, while interesting, only tells us things if the other rumours are also true.

Though I will throw this out there, for a portable system a camera is essential. For a home console it's not really necessary. I don't use my 3DS camera anymore because of the low quality... but I've never used the camera on my Wii U. Also I'd argue that 20mill is an optimistic but relatively safe bet for a portable system. For a home console it's bordering on delusional. Ontop of that it seems unlikely we'll get much third party support for a home console if they only have 12 months to develop for it. So either one (or both) of those rumours is wrong, it's not a portable OR we're in for a rough launch.

Edited on by skywake

Octane

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Why is a home console released next year virtually impossible to do well. That is such an odd, and incorrect, statement to make.

PS4 is doing extremely erll and i remember a year or so before its lainch MANY were saying in the comments it was way too early and they felt they hadnt gotten enough out of their PS3 yet.

"its virtually impossible to do well of its a home console releasing in 2026, itll do better if it launches in 2017". You have provided zero reasoning for this that was convincing.

What a coincidence that this rumor comes out right as I make this thread. This is all so obvious based on common sense.

Still surprised why a home console is unlikely? There's about 300 pages of people trying to explain that to you.

Nobody is worried about the Wii U's lifespan, again, for the umpteenth time.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

If you're going to jump in a thread and start all this, atleast read the last few pages. Do you know how many pages of this thread are about this third party thing you mention? It's ridiculous. So, here you go: It's been a month or 2 since we heard dev kits went out. It's November and Holiday 2016 means it's still 12 or 13 months from NX's release. What does that add up to? 14 or 15 months, right? That's not taking into account that companies likely had the dev kits before we heard about them. Good ports take about 18 months or so, I've read. That leaves plenty of time for them to hit the launch window. I'm not answering this question again man, lol. Enough. Simple math.

I suggest you do the same, you keep bringing up this ''13 months left'' argument and somehow turn that into a 15 month development window, which equals about 18 months. I've corrected you several times on this, but you keep ignoring this. I we're looking at a holiday 2016 release date, 12 months are left in theory. In practise? That means that they just started with planning and concepts. You expect them to have something playable at E3 in about 6 months and have a finished product a few months later just in time to get the games printed, manufactured and shipped to the stores? If you think that's enough, don't be surprised when this console turns out to be another major flop.

At this point it feels as if I'm just repeating things...

Octane

jariw

LetsGoRetro wrote:

@octane @skywake

Game over, boys! I hope everyone who said how stupid I was doesn't disappear! (Gee, I wonder if that'll happen)

It was common sense, guys. I told you. I know it's under rumor, but it's obvious it's happening if you're paying attention!

It's obvious who isn't paying attention. Here's the identical rumor article from July 02. Just because they post the same (identical) material twice doesn't mean it's correct.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

LetsGoRetro wrote:

What's your problem? Really...?

jariw

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Right, you feel the NX is not a home console releasing in 2016 and I feel it is. What's the problem?

The issue is that you're talking as if this rumour confirms that you were right all along. I never said that 2016 was out of the question. All I said that 2016 for a home console would be pretty rough and that if it's 2016 it makes more sense for it to be a portable system. It has nothing to do with "feelings" it's pretty cut and dry. Does this rumour make me look like a fool or not? I don't think it does. If 2016 is the year I maintain my concerns about the platform if it is a home console given the short development cycle. If it's a portable system then I was god-damn Nostradamus.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

"Before I chimed in" is kind of funny as I started the thread lol. But I guess you mean before I first responded to you in particular?

Your original topic is all but dead at this point. Are we talking about Zelda U at all? No. Are you still clinging to your original point about Zelda U skipping the Wii U? No. The entire reason we're arguing at all at this point is because you took issue with me saying that a 2016 home console was unlikely. So I was quoting something I said before you took the thread down that path. My views have not changed.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Their sales targets for the Wii U were around 9 mill by the end of 2013. Not even the Wii hit 20mill in its first year and everyone including Nintendo were surprised at how well the Wii performed. 20mill for a home console is certainly possible but it's not realistic. Compare that to a portable system where 20mill is optimistic but not very. Good numbers for a portable system would be anything around 12-18mill in the first year. For a home console 8-12mill is good.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Not really. They're not going to make orders that far above their sales estimates.

(Numbering for the sake of saving myself the trouble of having to adjust the quote coding)

1. I didn't say you looked like a fool over this, or anything else. You present your argument well and in a reasonable way. I just don't agree with your opinions. I never said you were not intelligent.. Uh oh, I typed that before reading the last sentence of this paragaph! (I kid, I kid..) It's not a portable. I know you don't agree with my opinions why, but I wish I could find the video I referenced at the beginning of this thread. it also doesn't GUARANTEE what I'm saying, but it's worded in a way that is pretty convincing where they have a freudian slip of sorts (spelling?) and mention how whether or not Zelda is slipping from Wii U to NX. I also really doubt they make this New 3DS if the next portable comes in '16.

2. But, my initial point WAS that the NX was coming in 2016. I said ZeldaU is being brought to NX as a Holiday 2016 launch title. Sure, the title is about Zelda, but NX releasing as a Holiday 2016 home console is just as prevalent a point. You just took the conversation in a direction that zoomed in on the console aspect VS the Zelda aspect, so yes, that is what we have been talking about, and Zelda has taken a back seat. I'm just responding to others' responses to my stance that Zelda will release as an NX home console game in 2016.

3. Ok, fair enough, but there's a lot you don't seem to take into account:
3a. Those are shipped numbers they're expecting, not sold, it seems.
3b. The stores lowering the expectations to the 12 mill range does seem to suggest it is a home console and Nintendo is being overly optimistic. I say this because the other option would be it's a handheld and the stores are expecting poor sales. What would be the reason for that? Didn't the DS and 3DS sell well the first year? There doesn't seem to be as much reason for the stores to think Nintendo is being overly optimistic regarding a portable console as there is a home console, given sales history. (I concede that this point requires much more research into the numbers that I haven't done. i'm simple going by knowing portables have continued to sell fairly well whereas home consoles haven't)

4. But doesn't the title of the article say that Nintendo suggests 20 million units shipped in 2016? Word for word?

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

(Numbering for the sake of saving myself the trouble of having to adjust the quote coding)

1. I didn't say you looked like a fool over this, or anything else. You present your argument well and in a reasonable way. I just don't agree with your opinions. I never said you were not intelligent.. Uh oh, I typed that before reading the last sentence of this paragaph! (I kid, I kid..) It's not a portable. I know you don't agree with my opinions why, but I wish I could find the video I referenced at the beginning of this thread. it also doesn't GUARANTEE what I'm saying, but it's worded in a way that is pretty convincing where they have a freudian slip of sorts (spelling?) and mention how whether or not Zelda is slipping from Wii U to NX. I also really doubt they make this New 3DS if the next portable comes in '16.

2. But, my initial point WAS that the NX was coming in 2016. I said ZeldaU is being brought to NX as a Holiday 2016 launch title. Sure, the title is about Zelda, but NX releasing as a Holiday 2016 home console is just as prevalent a point. You just took the conversation in a direction that zoomed in on the console aspect VS the Zelda aspect, so yes, that is what we have been talking about, and Zelda has taken a back seat. I'm just responding to others' responses to my stance that Zelda will release as an NX home console game in 2016.

3. Ok, fair enough, but there's a lot you don't seem to take into account:
3a. Those are shipped numbers they're expecting, not sold, it seems.
3b. The stores lowering the expectations to the 12 mill range does seem to suggest it is a home console and Nintendo is being overly optimistic. I say this because the other option would be it's a handheld and the stores are expecting poor sales. What would be the reason for that? Didn't the DS and 3DS sell well the first year? There doesn't seem to be as much reason for the stores to think Nintendo is being overly optimistic regarding a portable console as there is a home console, given sales history. (I concede that this point requires much more research into the numbers that I haven't done. i'm simple going by knowing portables have continued to sell fairly well whereas home consoles haven't)

4. But doesn't the title of the article say that Nintendo suggests 20 million units shipped in 2016? Word for word?

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

But if it's where profits come from, shouldn't it still be something you should pay attention to?

[/quote]

Nintendo experienced it's first 2 or 3 years of losses in a very long time, due primarily to the poor performance of the Wii U. It was essentially saved by the 3DS. Now, the sales did get a little better, slugging along recently to finally hit the dreaded Dreamcast milestone. The 3DS continues to sell fairly well. They've recently released the New 3DS and have games specifically for it, that cannot play on the regular 3ds model. The 3ds has went from 'very good' to 'good' sales, whereas the Wii U has went from 'abysmal' to 'very bad' sales. Do you believe Nintendo's focus is on cutting the 3ds short and continuing the Wii U for another year or 2? Why on earth would this be a good idea?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

If you're going to jump in a thread and start all this, at least read the last few pages. Do you know how many pages of this thread are about this third party thing you mention? It's ridiculous. So, here you go: It's been a month or 2 since we heard dev kits went out. It's November and Holiday 2016 means it's still 12 or 13 months from NX's release. What does that add up to? 14 or 15 months, right? That's not taking into account that companies likely had the dev kits before we heard about them. Good ports take about 18 months or so, I've read. That leaves plenty of time for them to hit the launch window. I'm not answering this question again man, lol. Enough. Simple math.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Uh...

What do you mean "Uh..."? This is a "go to" for you guys, but I've answered it so many times. Let me do it again:

Many agree 18 months is a very reasonable number to port a game. We heard the dev kits went out a month or 2 ago. Now, I doubt we heard about them the day they went out, but let's say we pretty much did. 18 - 2 = ?? Right, 16. Ok, so now let's say it's recently in December of 2016, that gives us 13 months from now, riiiiight? What's 16 - 13?? 3 months, right? That means ports can be coming in within the first 3 months of system release. AKA- There is plenty of time for third party games to hit launch window. It's very likely that we didn't hear about these kits RIGHT when they came, either, guys. So these companies could've had close to 2 years now to be making ports, exclusives, etc. It isn't as rushed as everyone wants to pretend.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

@octane @skywake

When I was going with how little time third-parties had to develop, it was because you stated that the rumor was obviously happening. Now you're saying it's happening during the holidays, which goes against the rumor that you've stated is happening, which stated that the NX is being released in Q2 of next year. Which is it? And as for the launch window...what about the launch DATE? I think it's important for them to have something available the day the system arrives!

[/quote]

I don't know exactly when it's arriving. My gut tells me Holiday 2016. The rumor doesn't say that it knows when it's releasing, it simply suggests some options. It only says how many systems they're expecting to SHIP, so for all I know, they are planning to release it Holiday 2016 and are planning a huge initial shipment because they are expecting insane sales because they think they have something amazing and groundbreaking on their hands.

Of course, another option could be, like I've said many times, I don't believe we heard about the dev kit rumors right as they came about, so maybe we heard about them 6 months after they came out.. in that scenario, the NX could come out in June and have enough time for 3rd parties. Who knows. I just very strongly believe it's coming in 2016 with a brand new Zelda title baby!

LetsGoRetro

Dave24

2016 for new homeconsole looks sorta unrealistic, considering they put money on Super Mario Maker, XCX, Smash (which gets DLC like FF7 character) and these are still pretty recent releases - releasing a new console without giving product a chance to make some money back is weird. They could might as well push SMM into NX and have 10/10 incedible launch title (same with XCX, which could use that additional processing power), but by what they did I think it's safe to say 2017 we will probably see the release of it. Giving online games a year or 2 lifecycle (that took them years to create) looks like unreasonable money sinking.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24

LetsGoRetro

Octane wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Why is a home console released next year virtually impossible to do well. That is such an odd, and incorrect, statement to make.

PS4 is doing extremely erll and i remember a year or so before its lainch MANY were saying in the comments it was way too early and they felt they hadnt gotten enough out of their PS3 yet.

"its virtually impossible to do well of its a home console releasing in 2026, itll do better if it launches in 2017". You have provided zero reasoning for this that was convincing.

What a coincidence that this rumor comes out right as I make this thread. This is all so obvious based on common sense.

Still surprised why a home console is unlikely? There's about 300 pages of people trying to explain that to you.

Nobody is worried about the Wii U's lifespan, again, for the umpteenth time.

Wait, wait, wait. You can't be telling me you think people in this thread have been doing a good job explaining that to me? haha. Friend. I have completely shut down any argument like that anyone has tried to make. If you want to ignore the fact, go ahead. But don't be silly and say things like this. That's almost as silly as posting something like "nobody is worried about the Wii U's lifespan". You may not have noticed, but, it's kind of related to the point. Yeesh, man, you just say anything and everything to convince yourself you're making a point.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I suggest you do the same, you keep bringing up this ''13 months left'' argument and somehow turn that into a 15 month development window, which equals about 18 months. I've corrected you several times on this, but you keep ignoring this. I we're looking at a holiday 2016 release date, 12 months are left in theory. In practise? That means that they just started with planning and concepts. You expect them to have something playable at E3 in about 6 months and have a finished product a few months later just in time to get the games printed, manufactured and shipped to the stores? If you think that's enough, don't be surprised when this console turns out to be another major flop.

At this point it feels as if I'm just repeating things...

[/quote]

Wow, ok, here we go. How am I bringing this 13 months left argument and then SOMEHOW turning it into 15?

Let's do it like this: It has ALREADY been close to a couple months since we heard about the dev kits, and we have close to 13 MORE months until December 2016. 13 + 2 = 15. YOU'RE the one repeating yourself? Octane. How simple is this math? 2 MONTHS AGO. 13 MORE MONTHS TO GO. THAT EQUALS 15. Now for the kicker! "LAUNCH WINDOW" is not the same as launch day. They schedule games for LAUNCH WINDOWS, which is the first few months of a console's release or so. They don't go and release every single game they have on the very first day of a console's release.

You are honestly not getting this? If you're not, let's just agree to disagree, because there are other people in this thread that, even though they don't agree with me, we atleast have basic understanding of what the other person is saying. I don't mean this offensively, but: Are you very young? Like maybe, 13, 14 ish? I'm genuninely asking. Something just isn't right so I just want to know what's missing here.

Thanks.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

Dave24 wrote:

2016 for new homeconsole looks sorta unrealistic, considering they put money on Super Mario Maker, XCX, Smash (which gets DLC like FF7 character) and these are still pretty recent releases - releasing a new console without giving product a chance to make some money back is weird. They could might as well push SMM into NX and have 10/10 incedible launch title (same with XCX, which could use that additional processing power), but by what they did I think it's safe to say 2017 we will probably see the release of it. Giving online games a year or 2 lifecycle (that took them years to create) looks like unreasonable money sinking.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Smash has had quite a bit of time out already to make it's money. As for online aspects, they don't need to stop any of those, they can keep servers running on them. As for them pushing back other titles, I did clarify earlier that the point I was making is that Zelda is the highest profile, and most hyped, title they have, so that would be why they would bring that one back as the game to launch with the new console.

LetsGoRetro

NintendoFan64

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Nintendo experienced it's first 2 or 3 years of losses in a very long time, due primarily to the poor performance of the Wii U. It was essentially saved by the 3DS. Now, the sales did get a little better, slugging along recently to finally hit the dreaded Dreamcast milestone. The 3DS continues to sell fairly well. They've recently released the New 3DS and have games specifically for it, that cannot play on the regular 3ds model. The 3ds has went from 'very good' to 'good' sales, whereas the Wii U has went from 'abysmal' to 'very bad' sales. Do you believe Nintendo's focus is on cutting the 3ds short and continuing the Wii U for another year or 2? Why on earth would this be a good idea?

[/quote]
I was never getting at the the 3DS eing replaced. Let me try again: You said that sales for the Wii U have improved. If it actually starts to make a little bit more money, why would Nintendo suddenly pull the plug as opposed to actually letting it go on just a bit longer now that it's actually profitable?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Uh...

What do you mean "Uh..."? This is a "go to" for you guys, but I've answered it so many times. Let me do it again:

I was leading into the quote that came imediately after that.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Many agree 18 months is a very reasonable number to port a game. We heard the dev kits went out a month or 2 ago. Now, I doubt we heard about them the day they went out, but let's say we pretty much did. 18 - 2 = ?? Right, 16. Ok, so now let's say it's recently in December of 2016, that gives us 13 months from now, riiiiight? What's 16 - 13?? 3 months, right? That means ports can be coming in within the first 3 months of system release. AKA- There is plenty of time for third party games to hit launch window. It's very likely that we didn't hear about these kits RIGHT when they came, either, guys. So these companies could've had close to 2 years now to be making ports, exclusives, etc. It isn't as rushed as everyone wants to pretend.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

@octane @skywake

I don't know exactly when it's arriving. My gut tells me Holiday 2016. The rumor doesn't say that it knows when it's releasing, it simply suggests some options. It only says how many systems they're expecting to SHIP, so for all I know, they are planning to release it Holiday 2016 and are planning a huge initial shipment because they are expecting insane sales because they think they have something amazing and groundbreaking on their hands.
Of course, another option could be, like I've said many times, I don't believe we heard about the dev kit rumors right as they came about, so maybe we heard about them 6 months after they came out.. in that scenario, the NX could come out in June and have enough time for 3rd parties. Who knows. I just very strongly believe it's coming in 2016 with a brand new Zelda title baby!

[/quote]
1.Has Nintendo ever had such high expectations before?
2. The rumor stated that it would be released at some point around Q2 next year, so it states a general idea.
3.We'd have had to have heard of the rumors a bit longer than six months after the fact in order for the NX to be released in June.
4. Still need something on launch date!

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Wait, wait, wait. You can't be telling me you think people in this thread have been doing a good job explaining that to me? haha. Friend. I have completely shut down any argument like that anyone has tried to make. If you want to ignore the fact, go ahead. But don't be silly and say things like this. That's almost as silly as posting something like "nobody is worried about the Wii U's lifespan". You may not have noticed, but, it's kind of related to the point. Yeesh, man, you just say anything and everything to convince yourself you're making a point.

1. If by that you mean missing the point, then yes!
.2. You've been doing the same thing you're accusing @Octane has been doing!

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Wow, ok, here we go. How am I bringing this 13 months left argument and then SOMEHOW turning it into 15?

Let's do it like this: It has ALREADY been close to a couple months since we heard about the dev kits, and we have close to 13 MORE months until December 2016. 13 + 2 = 15. YOU'RE the one repeating yourself? Octane. How simple is this math? 2 MONTHS AGO. 13 MORE MONTHS TO GO. THAT EQUALS 15. Now for the kicker! "LAUNCH WINDOW" is not the same as launch day. They schedule games for LAUNCH WINDOWS, which is the first few months of a console's release or so. They don't go and release every single game they have on the very first day of a console's release.

You are honestly not getting this? If you're not, let's just agree to disagree, because there are other people in this thread that, even though they don't agree with me, we atleast have basic understanding of what the other person is saying. I don't mean this offensively, but: Are you very young? Like maybe, 13, 14 ish? I'm genuninely asking. Something just isn't right so I just want to know what's missing here.

1. Yes, they shouldn't release everything at once, but they still need SOMETHING on the launch date!
2. Getting a little sassy here, aren't we?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

veeflames

What I don't seem to understand is how this thread suddenly went from talking Zelda to talking NX. -_-

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

LetsGoRetro

NintendoFan64 wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I was never getting at the the 3DS eing replaced. Let me try again: You said that sales for the Wii U have improved. If it actually starts to make a little bit more money, why would Nintendo suddenly pull the plug as opposed to actually letting it go on just a bit longer now that it's actually profitable?

You may not have been specifically trying to say the 3ds is being replaced, but you joined into a conversation on that, that I was already responding to. @Octane is suggesting if it is a 2016 release, it's more likely to be a portable than home console. So, the conversation was very much about the 3ds getting replaced.

To answer your question, it's because it would be a bad business practice to keep dragging along a console that is selling poorly and getting it's butt whipped by it's competition for the next 2 years under the logic "Well, it's selling better than it WAS and atleast it's making a TINY BIT of profit!" I know you're saying you're not mentioning the 3ds being replaced, but in response to @Octane thinking the NX is a portable console, I would take your question about the Wii U and apply it to the 3DS. If you can ask:

"Why would nintendo cut the wii u if it's finally making a very small profit?"

then, you can SURELY ask:

"Why would nintendo keep the wii u going with it's tiny profits and cut it's portable line that has consistently made decent profits?"

Keep the poor selling line and go and cut off the good selling one to replace it with something unproven. is that not a possibly fatal mistake when your home console is getting it's tail kicked by Sony?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

@octane @skywake

[/quote]
1.Has Nintendo ever had such high expectations before?
2. The rumor stated that it would be released at some point around Q2 next year, so it states a general idea.
3.We'd have had to have heard of the rumors a bit longer than six months after the fact in order for the NX to be released in June.
4. Still need something on launch date!

[/quote]

1. I'm honestly not sure but I don't think it's overly relevant as that shouldn't be a factor to sway anyone's opinion. They have that expectation now, which means they either feel they have something totally awesome, or it's a hybrid and it's causing them to shoot for the moons numbers wise because they're expecting it to cover both markets, so they're maybe combining the expectations they'd have for a home and portable console?
2. It does state that as a possibility, yes.
3. I don't know how things have been going behind the scenes. For all we know, they have been spending the last 3 years building 3rd party relationships. I just don't know.
4. Like... Zelda? Zelda and a 3d Mario(That team's been working on something for a while now). Along with Pikmin 4 (confirmed almost finished). Plus whatever Retro has been working on (that team has also been working on something for a while now) Then some 3rd party games. That sounds like a real decent start to a launch lineup, no? It has me excited.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

1. Yes, they shouldn't release everything at once, but they still need SOMETHING on the launch date!
2. Getting a little sassy here, aren't we?

[/quote]

1. You're repeating yourself now, man, I just answered that!
2. No, I don't feel I am I'm talking to someone for upwards of 14 or so pages (forget when he joined in the thread) and he genuinely is having difficulty understanding how something we have known for about 2 months and have about another 13 months to go comes close to 15 months. He also doesn't understand how that 15 months easily brings us into a launch window that consists of atleast a few months. How can I explain that basic math to somebody like 8 times without him understanding before I start to feel maybe he is just a young kid. I"m not trying to be mean or rude. But, come on.

LetsGoRetro

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.