Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 281 to 300 of 641

skywake

Therad wrote:

If NX is an handheld, I think they really need some edge over the smartphones. I have no clue at to what that could be.

The pure fact that it's a gaming device gives them an edge:

• Buttons/sticks which allow some content not possible with just touch & tilt
  • An audience that expects more premium content and will pay for it

Here's a question for you, what's stopping Nintendo from putting Twilight Princess on the 3DS? Why are we getting a HD remaster on the Wii U instead of just a 3DS port? Other than horsepower (which will come) not a lot. Probably nothing. And I suspect that a lot of people would pay $50 RRP for it given that just this year ~2mill people brought Majora's Mask.

Now lets imagine that Nintendo was actually going "mobile" and we were instead talking about "Twilight Princess for iPad". How would that game work? How would you control it? Even if you could control it how much would you be willing to pay for it on iOS? The same price you would pay for it on dedicated hardware? I think we all know what the answer is, and that's the edge that dedicated hardware has.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

Operative wrote:

I don't think Wii U sales will really be anything worth mentioning next year. While it's great that it did well at one retailer, the only major game we have for 2016 is Zelda, and Starfox to a much lesser extent. Unless everyone suddenly decides they want to play Splatoon randomly, I suspect sales will stay the same, more or less.

EDIT: And as for the NX thing, Skywake does make very good points, so I really wouldn't be surprised at all/mind if it was a handheld.

As long as it's called an HDS

Well, I pretty much agree. As I said in my response to that other guy, NEVER did I type "save" or anything in relation to completely turning around the Wii U's "fortunes." I just think we're going to see a nice steady little increase in sales as we go through Xeno, Star Fox, and coming into Zelda U. I think Star Fox has a little more pull than we're giving it credit for, and like I said, if reviews for Zelda are bonkers in a good way, who knows what can really happen? Nothing that's going to make Nintendo say, "Wait a second! Let's keep this puppy around for another five years," but perhaps enough to give a nice boost to the numbers at the end of the console's life, you know? That's all I was saying.

And I read more comments since yesterday: the 20 million units expected to be sold/shipped (I forget which) thing is what really sways me toward some type of handheld. And smartphones are coming up a lot, so maybe they're going back to a more classic one-screen approach but with insets sticks and buttons? I'd buy that over a smartphone/tablet for gaming in a heartbeat.

rallydefault

Churchy

skywake wrote:

If they're spot on then it could still be a portable system. Something which would also explain the high volumes (20mill shipped) given that a portable is not going to struggle to get close to those sort of numbers. The leak also talks about a very short production for these things, only a few months. If true then this thing is using fairly standard off-the-shelf hardware. Which would suggest either something like a PS4/XBOne clone or it's a portable using old smartphone production lines.

edit: Speaking of smarphones changing the game for Nintendo making portables. I have a fairly cheap Smartphone, got it this year for only about $30 more than what the 2DS retails for here. It's almost comical lining up the specs of the two, the 3DS is seriously outclassed by smarphones even at that pricepoint. It would almost be too easy for them to get a massive graphical leap from the 3DS. Companies like Apple and Samsung have already done all the hard work for them!

Hmm, it's an interesting thought. If it does turn out to be a portable, perhaps it could be a step one of sorts, with a home console portion coming later (unified through the operating system perhaps). Since the Wii U and 3DS have come out, the capabilities of smartphones have improved quite a bit. One thing I think we can bank on is there being a handheld device of some sort being involved. It'll be interesting to see future announcements (or leaks!).

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

Frostyboy

rallydefault wrote:

Well, I pretty much agree. As I said in my response to that other guy, NEVER did I type "save" or anything in relation to completely turning around the Wii U's "fortunes." I just think we're going to see a nice steady little increase in sales as we go through Xeno, Star Fox, and coming into Zelda U. I think Star Fox has a little more pull than we're giving it credit for, and like I said, if reviews for Zelda are bonkers in a good way, who knows what can really happen? Nothing that's going to make Nintendo say, "Wait a second! Let's keep this puppy around for another five years," but perhaps enough to give a nice boost to the numbers at the end of the console's life, you know? That's all I was saying.

And I read more comments since yesterday: the 20 million units expected to be sold/shipped (I forget which) thing is what really sways me toward some type of handheld. And smartphones are coming up a lot, so maybe they're going back to a more classic one-screen approach but with insets sticks and buttons? I'd buy that over a smartphone/tablet for gaming in a heartbeat.

So bring back the GameBoy brand with a free pokemon red/blue/yellow to bring the nostalgia and new Super Mario game or perhaps sunshine remake.

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

rallydefault

@Frostyboy: Heck yea, man, I'd be on board with that. But yea, as skywake and a few others were mentioning, most common smartphones these days are way more powerful than the 3DS. Nintendo, of all companies, is more than capable of crafting something sleek and small-ish that is more back in line with a GameBoy than with the DS line. Dual sticks, minimal amount of buttons, touch capable of course - able to easily fit into a pocket. Powerful. "Core" Nintendo games that are way beyond anything you'll get on a smartphone alone. Nintendo could do it.

And, yea, the GameBoy brand name would be nostalgic. It'll never happen, but it's fun to think! ha!

rallydefault

LetsGoRetro

Why is everyone so resistant to my opinion? A new Nintendo system guys! They're trying to really get back in the game! It's exciting! Stop with this "Oh no I bough a wii u, my investment, blah bah" all that talk is ridiculous. You got plenty on your Wii U. Strap in, and get ready for the NX, baby! It's coming within a year! AND WITH ZELDA! =D

LetsGoRetro

TuVictus

I still think 10-12 million is a tad too optimistic. You'd think coming off of the worst selling home console ever, they'd reel in expectations, assuming the rumor is accurate.

TuVictus

LetsGoRetro

Operative wrote:

I still think 10-12 million is a tad too optimistic. You'd think coming off of the worst selling home console ever, they'd reel in expectations, assuming the rumor is accurate.

Hopefully it's because they know they have something awesome and groundbreaking on their hands! Make me "awed" again as they once did, with the NES through the N64. They were all magical times in gaming. Gamecube came along and was a little bit less amazing but still very great. Wii was split depending on how you see it. It was incredible at times and had an awesome release, in my opinion. All those trash games didn't even register to me, and I just focused on all the jewels that did come out for it. And then came the Wii U, and it totally lacked any of the greatness of it's previous systems, save for the fact that it has some very good, but not great, Nintendo games on it.

Do it again, Nintendo. Blow away the competition.

LetsGoRetro

Octane

@LetsGoRetro: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

As you said it yourself, it's a rumour. It doesn't confirm anything and doesn't say whether it's a home console, a handheld or something else (although if the rumour is true, 10-12 million units seems more realistic for a handheld than a home console at this point, and the companies that were mentioned seem to be more fit for a handheld console than a home console).

I don't think anyone is opposed to ''Nintendo trying to get back in the game'', if it indeed turns out to be a home console that launches next year, I'm not expecting anything but a major flop. It's not about investment, I've got enough games out of my Wii U, and I'm perfectly fine with buying another console. But expecting a home console from Nintendo to do really well and launch next year is virtually impossible. So yeah, let's play the waiting game and we'll see eventually what the NX is.

Octane

NintendoFan64

@LetsGoRetro Hi, I came back to see if this article would cause a reaction...and I was right. Question: How is it "obvious"? Go on. Explain.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

LetsGoRetro

Octane wrote:

As you said it yourself, it's a rumour. It doesn't confirm anything and doesn't say whether it's a home console, a handheld or something else (although if the rumour is true, 10-12 million units seems more realistic for a handheld than a home console at this point, and the companies that were mentioned seem to be more fit for a handheld console than a home console).

I don't think anyone is opposed to ''Nintendo trying to get back in the game'', if it indeed turns out to be a home console that launches next year, I'm not expecting anything but a major flop. It's not about investment, I've got enough games out of my Wii U, and I'm perfectly fine with buying another console. But expecting a home console from Nintendo to do really well and launch next year is virtually impossible. So yeah, let's play the waiting game and we'll see eventually what the NX is.

Why is a home console released next year virtually impossible to do well. That is such an odd, and incorrect, statement to make.

PS4 is doing extremely erll and i remember a year or so before its lainch MANY were saying in the comments it was way too early and they felt they hadnt gotten enough out of their PS3 yet.

"its virtually impossible to do well of its a home console releasing in 2026, itll do better if it launches in 2017". You have provided zero reasoning for this that was convincing.

What a coincidence that this rumor comes out right as I make this thread. This is all so obvious based on common sense.

@Nintendofan64

Here is how it is obvious: Companies exist to make money. When they're not making money, they change things.

Nintendo has a console that is a total flop. They've released the majority of their heavy hitters such as 2d mario, 3d mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., etc. to turn it around, and it hasnt worked.

Once the last of these titles didnt cause a major turnaround, what did they do? Announce the NX.

I ask you this; What are the reasons to keep the Wii U coming? Oh cuz some are having so much fuuuun on it? Cuz its so cute? Cuz theres so much potential for 2 gamepads like this guy @rjejr is obsessed with? Businesses dont care about this stuff when business is not going well.

It is common sense. No, they're going to keep it going to hit some arbitrary mark that forum members make. That is more important than bringing more money to the company.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Octane wrote:

Why is a home console released next year virtually impossible to do well. That is such an odd, and incorrect, statement to make.

PS4 is doing extremely erll and i remember a year or so before its lainch MANY were saying in the comments it was way too early and they felt they hadnt gotten enough out of their PS3 yet.

"its virtually impossible to do well of its a home console releasing in 2016, itll do better if it launches in 2017". You have provided zero reasoning for this that was convincing.

What a coincidence that this rumor comes out right as I make this thread. This is all so obvious based on common sense.

@Nintendofan64

Here is how it is obvious: Companies exist to make money. When they're not making money, they change things.

Nintendo has a console that is a total flop. They've released the majority of their heavy hitters such as 2d mario, 3d mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., etc. to turn it around, and it hasnt worked.

Once the last of these titles didnt cause a major turnaround, what did they do? Announce the NX.

I ask you this; What are the reasons to keep the Wii U coming? Oh cuz some are having so much fuuuun on it? Cuz its so cute? Cuz theres so much potential for 2 gamepads like this guy @rjejr is obsessed with? Businesses dont care about this stuff when business is not going well.

It is common sense. No, they're going to keep it going to hit some arbitrary mark that forum members make. That is more important than bringing more money to the company.

LetsGoRetro

rallydefault

NintendoFan64 wrote:

@LetsGoRetro Hi, I came back to see if this article would cause a reaction...and I was right. Question: How is it "obvious"? Go on. Explain.

The dude's oblivious that a lot of us have been agreeing all along, but with caveats, of course. 2016, at least for me, was never a question. I KNOW Nintendo is going to come out with a new console in 2016. Whether it's their next handheld or a home console, they're coming out with one. And I think everyone here wants Nintendo to do well, so there's really no "gotcha" moment there, either. Like... oh snap. You caught me. I wanted Nintendo to go down in flames?

Don't know why this Retro guy is acting all high and mighty.

I'm gonna go play some Wonderful 101 (got it on sale - not too bad!)

rallydefault

LetsGoRetro

rallydefault wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

The dude's oblivious that a lot of us have been agreeing all along, but with caveats, of course. 2016, at least for me, was never a question. I KNOW Nintendo is going to come out with a new console in 2016. Whether it's their next handheld or a home console, they're coming out with one. And I think everyone here wants Nintendo to do well, so there's really no "gotcha" moment there, either. Like... oh snap. You caught me. I wanted Nintendo to go down in flames?

Oh, yeah, @octane and @skywake, the 2 people ive been going back and forth with, have totally been agreeing all along. Im just oblivious.

Like, for example, post where they agreed and i thought they didnt. Dont worry, ill wait!

LetsGoRetro

NintendoFan64

@LetsGoRetro: 1. Really? That is your logic? Alright...if that's how it works, then why didn't Nintendo try to shove the Wii out the door faster when the Gamecube was their lowest selling console? 2. Who said that Nintendo wasn't making money? Remember, they made a return to profit this year, and didn't the Wii U actually start to make somewhat of a profit recently (someone correct me if I'm wrong. This is just going by what I've heard some people on these forums say). You really think that right when the system actually starts to make a profit, they're going to pull the plug on it? 3. I REALLY don't like your attitude. You treat your assumptions like they're absolute FACT, think that those that disagreed with you don't want Nintendo to "get back into the game", put words into people's mouths in order to make things better for you, and at times act like a smart-alec. So please: KNOCK IT OFF. Get a better attitude!
Edit: Also, here is a rather big wrench that clogs the gears that are grinding for your logic: You seem to believe the rumor that third-party developers just recently managed to get NX dev kits. If this is in fact true, there is no way in Hell there's going to be some good third-party support for it if it's coming out in the second quarter of next year! That is not enough time! They have to figure out how the system works, get used to programming for it, come up with a concept, go through the planning stages to figure out what they're gonna do with that concept, go through development, and then get rated by the ratings boards! If you want a finished product that's GOOD, then it's not gonna come out in such a short span of time. And in order to make sure that it has a better launch than the Wii U, the NX is gonna need a good launch lineup, and Nintendo probably isn't going to just throw all of their big hitters out the door at the very beginning, so it's going to need some third-party support.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/rumour_nx_set_for_20...

@octane @skywake

Game over, boys! I hope everyone who said how stupid I was doesn't disappear! (Gee, I wonder if that'll happen)

It was common sense, guys. I told you. I know it's under rumor, but it's obvious it's happening if you're paying attention!

We were discussing this on the previous page, this is what I said then:

skywake wrote:

If they're spot on then it could still be a portable system. Something which would also explain the high volumes (20mill shipped) given that a portable is not going to struggle to get close to those sort of numbers. The leak also talks about a very short production for these things, only a few months. If true then this thing is using fairly standard off-the-shelf hardware. Which would suggest either something like a PS4/XBOne clone or it's a portable using old smartphone production lines.

Need I point out again that you haven't been listening to what my argument has actually been? I've never said that 2016 is out of the question. All I've said is that 2016 seems far too soon for a home console release. I never ruled out the possibility that it could be a portable in which case 2016 wouldn't be that crazy at all. I never said that 2016 wasn't possible for a home console either I just said it would be a bit insane. Also remember that this is still a rumour which once again doesn't tell us anything about what it is. So don't go doing your victory dance just yet

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

LetsGoRetro wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Oh, yeah, @octane and @skywake, the 2 people ive been going back and forth with, have totally been agreeing all along. Im just oblivious.

Like, for example, post where they agreed and i thought they didnt. Dont worry, ill wait!

You'll be waitin for a long time, pal. I'm not wastin my time on some random internet guy/girl. Go look it up yourself.

lol.

rallydefault

LetsGoRetro

rallydefault wrote:

You'll be waitin for a long time, pal. I'm not wastin my time on some random internet guy/girl. Go look it up yourself.

lol.

Go look it up Myself! Ha! My friend, every single thing you said has been said 75 times in this thread already. It's all been answered. So, YOU'LL be waiting a long time for me to respond to any of what you just posted. So why don't YOU look it up yourself.

PS I didn't like your attitude there.

lol.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

Need I point out again that you haven't been listening to what my argument has actually been? I've never said that 2016 is out of the question. All I've said is that 2016 seems far too soon for a home console release. I never ruled out the possibility that it could be a portable in which case 2016 wouldn't be that crazy at all. I never said that 2016 wasn't possible for a home console either I just said it would be a bit insane. Also remember that this is still a rumour which once again doesn't tell us anything about what it is. So don't go doing your victory dance just yet

Wow, this "you didn't listen to exactly what I said" argument is getting so old. If I don't word things in exactly the way you want me to, then "it wasn't exactly responding to what you said". Stop with the silliness. You have said about 10 times that there is no way the NX is a home console launching in 2016 because it would fail miserably. My position is that it is a home console launching in 2016. There's no missing of what you're saying. There's no agreement I'm brushing over to further my points. I know exactly what you are saying. We have different opinions on it, and that is okay. Stop acting like I'm not responding to what you're saying correctly.

LetsGoRetro

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.