Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 161 to 180 of 641

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

Being a year away from the release of that game we can't imagine a scenario where it wouldn't sell systems. So let ignore the fact that we're talking about Zelda U and instead think of the point I was making in these terms.

If the NX was releasing tomorrow and the big launch title was Bayonetta 2 would you buy it? Or as someone who is hyped enough about that game that you'd buy hardware specifically for it do you already own a Wii U? It was a similar deal with the Wii U launch when they had all of those year old third party games. Us gamers are a fickle bunch, a year old game isn't interesting. So if the NX is a 2017 release and Zelda U sticks to 2016? This move won't give them the momentum you think it will.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where it won't sell systems? Here are a few scenarios that will help imagine that: Every single big release the Wii U has had so far.

Your 2nd paragraph aligns with my point. No, I wouldn't buy a new console just for Bayonetta 2. As it isn't a great selling series, chances are most wouldn't. What is the one game Nintendo has up it's sleeve that has the potential to move systems? Zelda. Again, this point is based off of "Zelda's coming 2016, Nx is coming 2017". I believe NX is coming 2016, so Zelda will not be a year old game when it comes out.

Edited on by LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

GrailUK

I don't think Zelda U is being made for the NX. I do however think the NX will get an eshop copy eventually (similar to all the eshop Zelda games for Wii U.) Heck, I still don't know if Nintendo is going to be the last company to release a current gen console, or the first company to release a next gen.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

jump

They comfirmed yet again Zelda is gonna be on the Wii U so is this thread really gonna be stretched out til it's released ?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

MegaMari0

@arronishere: source my good man?

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

LetsGoRetro

arronishere wrote:

MegaMari0 wrote:

The direct from the same day this thread was started.

They are not talking about NX until 2016, friend. Therefore, there is no other way to refer to the game than "the Zelda game for Wii U".

LetsGoRetro

rallydefault

arronishere wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

arronishere wrote:

MegaMari0 wrote:

They are not talking about NX until 2016, friend. Therefore, there is no other way to refer to the game than "the Zelda game for Wii U".

They could of said next installment of the Zelda series, by calling it Zelda on the Wii U they kinda blows apart your it's not gonna be on the Wii U theory.

'

No offense or anything, but you're missing the point. If I was a meme guy, I would post that one with the dude on the rocket flying way over the dot. That's you.

We aren't saying the next home Zelda game ISN'T coming to the Wii U. We're saying it's ALSO coming to NX.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

rallydefault

arronishere wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

arronishere wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

arronishere wrote:

MegaMari0 wrote:

They could of said next installment of the Zelda series, by calling it Zelda on the Wii U they kinda blows apart your it's not gonna be on the Wii U theory.

'

No offense or anything, but you're missing the point. If I was a meme guy, I would post that one with the dude on the rocket flying way over the dot. That's you.

We aren't saying the next home Zelda game ISN'T coming to the Wii U. We're saying it's ALSO coming to NX.

Actually Retro who started the thread has been saying it's coming only to the NX. Good thing you didn't post that picture.

Dude I don't care about him. I said "we." I never said "OP" or "Retro" or whatever the heck his name is. I can only speak for myself and the imaginary animals I'm including in "we."

I wish I posted that picture. You got served, son.

rallydefault

LetsGoRetro

arronishere wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

arronishere wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

arronishere wrote:

MegaMari0 wrote:

'

Actually Retro who started the thread has been saying it's coming only to the NX. Good thing you didn't post that picture.

That's not true. I have said that I believe it is definitely coming to NX and maybe Wii U. As for you saying that by them mentioning it's coming to Wii U it blows apart my theory, it actually doesn't for 2 reasons:

1.) I concede it could very likely be a dual release like TP, I've said that from the start. I just recognize it's importance in being a title that advertises the new system.
2.) As it's been known as a title that's coming to Wii U since it's inception, and NX isn't being talked about until next year, even if it WASN'T coming to Wii U, they would still refer to it as the Zelda game coming to Wii U until they announced the NX and that it was coming to it. What else are they going to call it? "A new Zelda game coming"? How do we know it's not a new one being announced for 3ds? "A new Zelda game coming to a home console" why would they ever word it like that? "The new Zelda game coming for NX" they're not talking about NX until 2016. There's nothing else to call it BUT "the new Zelda game coming to Wii U"

LetsGoRetro

LzWinky

arronishere wrote:

They comfirmed yet again Zelda is gonna be on the Wii U so is this thread really gonna be stretched out til it's released ?

I guess Zelda U is coming next month since Nintendo "confirmed" it was coming in 2015. Star Fox too while we are at it!

Are you assuming that they don't change their minds, which they clearly do all the time?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LetsGoRetro

@arronishere

Can you answer a few questions for me?

1.) Do you agree that due to the Wii U selling so low, Dreamcast low, that it is not a success? Now let's not argue over the semantics of what "success" is because we all know what is and isn't a success in this industry.

2.) Since the Wii U is not a success, and all other big titles have failed to make it one, is it not very unlikely that Zelda could make the Wii U a success?

3.) If both of the above questions are answered "yes", would it not be a waste, business-wise, to release such a big game only on the Wii U? Nintendo is a business.

as a 3a.) If they release Zelda U for Wii U only, now what are we looking at for the launch window of NX? Do we just do a Wii U launch all over again?

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

LztheQuack wrote:

arronishere wrote:

I guess Zelda U is coming next month since Nintendo "confirmed" it was coming in 2015. Star Fox too while we are at it!

Are you assuming that they don't change their minds, which they clearly do all the time?

Thank you God, someone is thinking here lol

LetsGoRetro

LzWinky

1.) Do you agree that due to the Wii U selling so low, Dreamcast low, that it is not a success? Now let's not argue over the semantics of what "success" is because we all know what is and isn't a success in this industry.

Depends on the definition. Sales-wise it is a flop in comparison to the PS4. Game-wise it's up for you to decide.

2.) Since the Wii U is not a success, and all other big titles have failed to make it one, is it not very unlikely that Zelda could make the Wii U a success?

What I think is crazy is that there is STILL discussion about whether or not a title will "save" the Wii U. It's a bit too late at this point.

3.) If both of the above questions are answered "yes", would it not be a waste, business-wise, to release such a big game only on the Wii U? Nintendo is a business.

Yes.

as a 3a.) If they release Zelda U for Wii U only, now what are we looking at for the launch window of NX? Do we just do a Wii U launch all over again?

Assuming NX is or has a console, I would do a Twilight Princess-style launch. Launch it for the NX first and then for the Wii U later

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LetsGoRetro

@LztheQuack:

We seem to generally agree, that little quiz was more for those who are blasting me for thinking it's coming to NX, lol

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

@Lzthequack

And yes, as my reasoning for thinking the new Zelda is coming to the NX is based solely off of the fact that business wise it makes sense, when I say "success" I mean comercially.

I guarantee you the company heads don't say "As long as good games came to the console, I don't care that it failed commercially"

LetsGoRetro

LzWinky

I do think we should wait for more details on the NX though. This thread is mostly based on assumptions and predictions

LetsGoRetro

LztheQuack wrote:

I do think we should wait for more details on the NX though. This thread is mostly based on assumptions and predictions

Yeah, it is. From both sides. But it's the game I'm most anticipating and they release almost nothing as far as details go, so I like to hear what others have to say about what we do know.

LetsGoRetro

DefHalan

The biggest thing stopping Zelda Wii U from releasing on multiple devices is architecture. Since that is what is stopping a lot of Wii U ports and the next Home Console is supposed to fix that problem (based on fan speculation) then a Zelda Wii U port would be out of the cards. If you look at it as maximizing Nintendo's profits then they should just go 3rd Party, you can reach a wider audience and make more money that way. The reason why Nintendo wouldn't want to put Zelda Wii U on another device at the same time would be image. It makes the new hardware appear weak, as it is running the same 1st Party software as last gen. It also shows that Nintendo cannot keep their word and it is better to wait to buy a system rather than buying it early (which Nintendo would want them to do) Lastly it could also be a negative for 3rd Parties to support the system early on, they already have trouble selling compared to Nintendo games (on Nintendo systems) and having one of Nintendo's biggest series at launch might scare 3rd parties away from supporting it at launch, for fear that their games will be overlooked. There are many different angles to view this situation from it is best to keep an open mind. Zelda Wii U could release on NX also, it could also be Wii U's swan song, it could even be completely trashed and they could make a brand new game, we don't know anything really.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Your 2nd paragraph aligns with my point. No, I wouldn't buy a new console just for Bayonetta 2. As it isn't a great selling series, chances are most wouldn't. What is the one game Nintendo has up it's sleeve that has the potential to move systems? Zelda. Again, this point is based off of "Zelda's coming 2016, Nx is coming 2017". I believe NX is coming 2016, so Zelda will not be a year old game when it comes out.

You're deliberately missing the point I was making about Bayonetta 2, I wasn't suggesting it sells as well as Zelda. The only reason I picked it was because it's the best Wii U title that's a year old at this point. Anyways, the only reason why you disagree with my point is because you're making a different assumption. I personally think it's unlikely to be a home console that releases in 2016, I just don't think that's enough time given how little we know about it. We're a year away from release if it's 2016, there's no way people would be keeping this quiet if that was the case. Unless it's something like a portable which doesn't need the as big a development cycle.

I can see it being a 2016 release and I can see it being a home console. I don't think there's much of a chance at all that it could be both. Your entire theory is based on a very big assumption. As I said earlier in the thread, for your theory to work? There are a lot of ifs

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

You're deliberately missing the point I was making about Bayonetta 2, I wasn't suggesting it sells as well as Zelda. The only reason I picked it was because it's the best Wii U title that's a year old at this point. Anyways, the only reason why you disagree with my point is because you're making a different assumption. I personally think it's unlikely to be a home console that releases in 2016, I just don't think that's enough time given how little we know about it. We're a year away from release if it's 2016, there's no way people would be keeping this quiet if that was the case. Unless it's something like a portable which doesn't need the as big a development cycle.

I can see it being a 2016 release and I can see it being a home console. I don't think there's much of a chance at all that it could be both. Your entire theory is based on a very big assumption. As I said earlier in the thread, for your theory to work? There are a lot of ifs

@skywake

Your point is "Since I believe ZeldaU is coming 2016, by NX's 2017 release, it will be a year old game with no hype. Just like how if a console was to release now with Bayonetta2 as it's launch game, as that right now is a year old game". There's nothing I'm missing. It just doesn't hold any water if I don't believe NX is waiting until 2017 to release. The entire point is dependent on that. Just like my point is based on my assumptions, that point is based on that assumption.

I'm not quite sure why you feel that because we don't know much about NX now, it reduces the likelihood it'll release in a year. They could show it at e3 and release it in the Holidays. Heck, they could do a Nintendo Direct in January and reveal it and that'll give it almost a year until it releases. I think they might have said it wouldn't be revealed until e3, but Nintendo constantly says things that don't turn out to be true, or they didn't mean it that way, or they essentially just wanted to throw us off a trail.

Another thing to consider, regarding that point, is that even if I am right, Nintendo almost certainly didn't originally intend to release the NX at the end of 2016. If it is to happen, it was most certainly a result of a scramble they made when they finally had to write off the possibility that the Wii U wasn't going to be saved. I'm guessing sometime between Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. U would've been this time, as if any tiles should've been expected to have a chance to save it, it would be those 2. So, applying the normal "When companies first announce a console vs when it actually released" wouldn't apply if you factor in the fact that at some point the people in charge would've had to decide something along the lines of "Our biggest francises aren't saving this box, we need to do something NOW. Get the new system out there".

Yes, everything I have just posted is assumptions. That is all we have to go on regarding this. My assumptions are based off of common sense business strategy, however. I just feel making moves based on getting a company back to profitability is more likely than making moves you know will not do much for the company at all so current console owners won't be mad at you. They'd rather you be mad at them and make money

LetsGoRetro

NintendoFan64

Allright...I am going to go towards some points you've made here:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As it's been known as a title that's coming to Wii U since it's inception, and NX isn't being talked about until next year, even if it WASN'T coming to Wii U, they would still refer to it as the Zelda game coming to Wii U until they announced the NX and that it was coming to it.

Really? You think they'd be able to get away with lying about the system it's coming to? You honestly don't think that would have backlash from the fans?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

So...basically, EVERY game announced for the Wii U next year should be on NX? I mean, you said it yourself! If the other big hitters couldn't make the Wii U sell gangbusters, what's even the point in releasing anything for it if it can't be turned around? Also, yes, Nintendo is a business, but you want to know what a business wants to avoid doing? Pissing off it's customers! I'm just saying, that if this big Wii U game that people have been waiting a long time for ends up coming to the NX, then people will start to wonder "Wait, why did I get a Wii U for this, when I could've just waited for a completely different console!? This makes me upset!"

LetsGoRetro wrote:

If you mean that it's as abysmal of a launch as the Wii U, you don't know that. We don't know the launch lineup. We don't know ANYTHING. Just because Zelda U might not be there doesn't mean that it can't still have a stellar launch lineup!

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I'm not quite sure why you feel that because we don't know much about NX now, it reduces the likelihood it'll release in a year. They could show it at e3 and release it in the Holidays. Heck, they could do a Nintendo Direct in January and reveal it and that'll give it almost a year until it releases. I think they might have said it wouldn't be revealed until e3, but Nintendo constantly says things that don't turn out to be true, or they didn't mean it that way, or they essentially just wanted to throw us off a trail.

Well, here's some reasons it might not be released next year:
-Not enough time to build up hype
-Third party developers would only have a year to develop launch titles (Do you want rushed ports!? Because that's how you get rushed ports!)

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Another thing to consider, regarding that point, is that even if I am right, Nintendo almost certainly didn't originally intend to release the NX at the end of 2016. If it is to happen, it was most certainly a result of a scramble they made when they finally had to write off the possibility that the Wii U wasn't going to be saved. I'm guessing sometime between Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. U would've been this time, as if any tiles should've been expected to have a chance to save it, it would be those 2. So, applying the normal "When companies first announce a console vs when it actually released" wouldn't apply if you factor in the fact that at some point the people in charge would've had to decide something along the lines of "Our biggest francises aren't saving this box, we need to do something NOW. Get the new system out there".

So...you think that they would be stupid enough to rush a system out the door because they went into full out panic mode? I don't really see that happening. Also, WHY, exactly, does it have to replace the Wii U? Why can't it be the 3DS?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

My assumptions are based off of common sense business strategy, however. I just feel making moves based on getting a company back to profitability is more likely than making moves you know will not do much for the company at all so current console owners won't be mad at you.

1. But do you honestly believe that Nintendo would do something like rushing a system's release (which is a bad idea, since it can create a shoddy product) ?
2. Nintendo needs a return to profitability, eh? Yeah, I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-returns-to-full-yea...
3.Again, you do NOT want to piss off your customers!

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.