Forums

Topic: Why Nintendo Should Launch in 2016

Posts 61 to 62 of 62

CaviarMeths

BlueSkies wrote:

The software is a dead creep for the WiiU. Nintendo has delayed a Zelda game for a whole year.

By my count, there are 12 full retail games launching from now until the end of 2015 on the Wii U, as well as dozens of indies (around 40-60, depending on how many meet release window). That's just currently announced, and we're 2 weeks away from E3.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Ryu_Niiyama

CaviarMeths is spot on. The games may not be instabuys for one gamer but the software is there and it keeps on coming.

Personally I have two issues with the whole "Nintendo needs to make bigger better system asap" argument. A) if they release ahead of Sony and Microsoft they will always be behind and you will be saying the same thing all over again chasing some perfect storm unicorn. Also Nintendo is very good at producing a moderately affordable system that still turns a PROFIT for them rather than taking a loss in the hopes of large install base. For a company that is primarily funded by its game business (they do have other ventures) this is smart business, despite the naysayers.

Second...they have done this dance already with the gamecube. I know people like to spout the disc size as a limiting factor but it really wasn't and they had pretty decent third party support. However mainstream gamers buy for cool factor just as much as they do for gameplay. Playing m rated games when below the age group, hating anything with color or unique controls or story...these things are a joy to people that just like to game but to the masses? Not so much. Nintendo is a bastion for accessible games for all ages, colors other than green and brown, unique controls (even when using more traditional controllers) and they attract third parties that think the same.

The wii showed that console sales don't equate to software mindshare. There were a ton of amazing games on the wii that are often overlooked even by Nintendo gamers. Despite its sales the "hardcore gamer" sneered at the system. So throwing more money at it is not the key. I still feel that marketing is the key and social media/word of mouth. Nintendo creates a sense of fun that is hard to explain but must be experienced and the faster they get demos in stores and controllers in hands I think sales will increase. I doubt it will "save" the wiiu but it will give them mindshare and that is where they are losing ground.

To me, Nintendo's approach doesn't make them out of touch but on a different focus than the others. I can't say how long that will last them but for now it has been an amazing ride and I would rather not see that change. They are making positive strides with the Splatoon marketing...

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.