Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,041 to 5,060 of 69,954

DefHalan

@MarcelRguez by it not fitting in your pocket. A lot of people are thinking it will be a "portable" system just like tablets are "portable"

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FragRed

Well for me right now, Nintendo can take their time revealing the NX. I have the PS VR and am hooked. Its giving me the urge to play small bite size games for the time being, so right now I am not thinking about NX every waking moment like before.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Moshugan

@TomJ I should hope that the NX reveal happens before the Animal Crossing Direct and before the Shareholder Meeting, since I'm expecting there to be an Animal Crossing launch title for the NX.

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

FragRed

@TomJ It's actually much better than I was expecting. As long as you don't go into it thinking you'll get PS4 standard visuals or resolution but it definitely gives you a sense of being in a different world, especially when flying around space.

The 3D effect is impressive and reminds me of the 3DS in a way, just in a much bigger scale.

But I'd recommend it to anyone and I was someone extremely sceptical of the whole thing, calling it a fad.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

MarcelRguez wrote:

There's this new SMD video in which he contemplates the possibility of the NX using a custom version of AMD's Radeon RX 470 GPU.

Just a quick response to that video. A Tegra X2 (or equivalent) would mean that the NX has the most powerful mobile GPU on the market. That's kinda the definition of "industry leading chips" I would've thought. Because what defines industry leading is where it stacks up in its own little category. Not how it stacks up against other categories. There are super fast M.2 SSDs that are upto ~1TB. They don't become not industry leading just because 10TB HDDs exist.

An RX470 on the other hand, while far more powerful than what Tegra would have, is not industry leading. It's slower than the 480, Fury X, Nano, Fury, 390X, 390, 380X, 290X and 290. It's only slight more capable than the 280X, 285 and 380. And that's just AMD cards going back a few generations. And as anyone into GPUs knows, Nvidia is the king currently. It is not an "industry leading" chip by any stretch.

Now if this thing is as powerful as the Scorpio claims to be? Well then sure. Maybe then you can make the claim that it's using "industry leading chips". I don't think people would take much issue with that. But a 470 is not, not even a year ago. And it's a joke that someone would say that a 470 is "industry leading" while a Tegra chip was not.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@FragRed We'll see about that. I'd love to try PSVR one day, and I do believe that the tech is sufficient enough, but I have yet to see a killer app that can win me over. So far, most of the games have been glorified tech demos, and the rest looks like shovelware. Reminds me of the Wii in some ways. Until then, I'm still waiting for that single game that can show PSVR is a must-have. RE7 could've done that, but I heard that the visuals are a big step down from the on-screen experience. It's unfortunate, so maybe next gen? Who knows!

Octane

Therad

DefHalan wrote:

@MarcelRguez by it not fitting in your pocket. A lot of people are thinking it will be a "portable" system just like tablets are "portable"

I don't think most people wants to lug around a second device. But it might be good to have for the kids in the car or having it with you to the summer home. And in those cases it won't matter if it is the size of a tablet or a phone.

Therad

ProjectX1991

MarcelRguez wrote:

Gameblog has lost it and has rolled every single NX rumor so far into one. The result is pretty hilarious.

I really am against these remasters, especially of MK8. Why do this? Paying the same rate as a brand new MK game but actually receiving the WiiU game repackaged? It frustrates me that we can't have a new MK9 to buy on launch. I might as well just keep my WiiU out and not fork out the money for a near enough NX clone.

ProjectX1991

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
Well people can read into it that way if they want. But the original source was the wsj. I don't think they were being tricky with their wording. After seeing a 470? Your reaction wouldn't be that one. Let's be honest. But you might say that about a mobile device pushing xbone-ish graphics.

Like the iPhone. Compared to laptops? It's average. Entry-level even. But as a phone it's "industry leading"

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haruki_NLI

So i wanted to take note and list all the things some nitable consumer sources were saying about NX.

I decided not to. The general response across the Internet is "Meh" at its high with the oy positive, if it can bs called that, being using carts.

The Gaming Brit did a lengthy rant about why Nintendo is bad with the comments being almost universal agreement. Zero Punctuation has done a segment on the Capcom 5 under the "Lets all laugh at an industry that never learns anytging teeheehee" segment which weng from Capcom not being able to shut up and these games managing to be evrrywhere to "Its Nintendi's fault for drinking bleach".

Numerous tech bloggers have said they are unoptimstic as well.

Seeing a trend? The nintendoom is strong. Maybe that report about Nintendo being out of the industry for the most part by 2020 is accurate Iunnio.

All I know is my team is pledging support to this damn mystery box. XD

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

dtjive

@BLPs

I think anything but a PS4 Pro/Xbox Scorpio type machine from Nintendo is always going to get a lukewarm reception on the internet by core gamers. But I think a hybrid device in line with what eurogamer made out would still sell well especially if it launches at an affordable price point (e.g. $250). I think it could sell extremely well if its power was on par with a PS4 rather than somewhere between a PS4 and Wii U as the rumour made out.

dtjive

Bluefiregamer

I hope Nintendo doesnt go out of the console business they are my favorite company. Dont want to imagine a world without pokemon or Monster Hunter Mario and Zelda and many others.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

MarcelRguez

@Bluefiregamer Monster Hunter is a Capcom franchise, so that's not at risk. It'd fall back to Sony's hardware.

Even if Nintendo dropped out of the hardware business, they could still go third-party. Mario, Zelda and Pokémon are the franchises with the higher chances of survival. The rest though...

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Octane

@osaco Which games? There's a difference between running an Animal Crossing in 1080p at 60fps and the upcoming Mass Effect game for example (or even Zelda BOTW).

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@dtjive I hope so. Im working on what will hopefully be the 6th confirmed title XD If it sells then great.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ntdojoe

@BiasedSonyFan I played every Wii U game I have with the Pro Controller, so no, I really do find all the joy in the games and want to use hardware that is as "subtle" as possible so I can focus on the game and its story.

But you're right, N64 and GC had great games and they still failed. I honestly don't know what people want. I do know however that many people still consider N64 or GC their favorite console. I don't know anybody whose favorite console is Wii however (which was economically immensely successful though).

In the end, I think games are what makes long-term fans. Gimmicks may win people for a generation, but they're a gamble every time again. I think what it takes for Nintendo to succeed, is great games + right marketing. They've never been experts in the latter.

Check out my big NX concept on http://ntdojoe.wordpress.com.
Concept includes Nintendo Portable, Nintendo Ultimate, NintendOS, Miitopia, RePlay, N Cam and more.

Twitter:

LzWinky

On the subject of VR: it's far too expensive to be anything but niche. Maybe it'll be great later, but it just seems to be motion controls all over again with a headset. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's the "future of gaming".

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

FragRed

@SLIGEACH_EIRE She knows what the NX is!... or maybe Zelda Williams is the NX!!

Octane

@ntdojoe Times are different though. I don't think it's as simple as saying that the N64 and GameCube were traditional consoles, and since they failed, people don't want traditional consoles from Nintendo. I do believe there's a market for everything, but I also think that the N64 and GameCube had other major problems. The competition was just better at most things; marketing, game deals, easier to develop for, DVD playback was a huge deal on the PS2, and the list goes on.

@TheLZdragon Indeed, just like how motion control was hyped up ten years ago to be the future of gaming. It's still present, and traditional controllers have adapted some form of motion control with gyro control, but it's nowhere near as popular as it once was. VR has the problem that it always requires more powerful hardware to run games as smoothly as on TV. So, using the same console, the VR experience will always be visually less impressive. Sure, it may be more immersive, but rendering two screens at once does have its downsides. And it's another expensive piece of hardware, the most important factor. I'm sure it'll create its own niche market over time, but I don't expect VR to take over traditional gaming anytime soon.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic