Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,981 to 5,000 of 69,989

Kikilon

I have the strong feeling that NX stands for a new brand of product family. One device will be the "traditional" home console equipped with original new ideas from the Big N and the other device, will be a portable. Both systems will read the same flashcard. The on the go machine will not display the same level of details. I think it's a win-win situation as you could continue your playing on the go. This is something which I really miss with the 3DS as games are distinct to the device they belong to. In terms of resources, one team, one game for 2 types of users. Could be a success, don't you think?

Kikilon

MarcelRguez

@Kikilon If this is what they end up putting out, I don't expect full game compatibility between both devices. They might want to keep some of them as exclusives for one or the other to avoid cannibalizing their own sales. Pokémon would be an obvious (and stingy) example.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

For a little bit, I had toyed with the idea that they'd announce the reveal date at the shareholders meeting and that it would take place the week of November 10th. I figured it would be a good week for it - the week after the AC Direct, and the week before Sun/Moon. Then I realized the problem with that week. There's only one thing people and the media will be focused on that week: the US presidential election.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MarcelRguez

@IceClimbers If the rumors about the NX being compatible with Nintendo's mobile output are true, one would expect them to reveal it before the Animal Crossing Direct. By doing that, they'd be able to talk in-depth about the particularities/advantages of running that game on the NX. Lots of assumptions in that line of thinking, I know.

Also, it just hit me. The NX reveal will probably come hand-in-hand with a comparison between the Wii U and NX versions of Breath of the Wild. It would be the best way to establish the differences between both devices.

MarcelRguez

rallydefault

Octane wrote:

@erv March could work, just make sure you market the system the right way, maybe towards the Nintendo gamers first. Make sure the system gets plenty of titles, then focus on some summer titles and during fall the system will likely have build up a decent userbase and a good library for other people to consider it and cave in. I mean, you could make any month work, it just requires the right marketing, not sure if that's going to happen though.

I think March could work, too. In fact, I think March would be great.

You get the system out with (hopefully) some awesome games, which will definitely include Zelda (and Zeldas are typically longer, "deeper" games - the perfect game to hold people/get people over the 3ish months until E3). By that point, if things are going great, people are digging the system/games, and then

BAM

You get to hit them with a whole slew of second-wave games/features at E3 that will launch from E3 all the way through holiday 2017. It gives you another chance to appeal to consumers. And the biggest benefit? Scorpio won't launch until Novemberish 2017. Probably not competing directly with Scorpio, but let's face it, you're in the same media market. Launching earlier with the Scorpio still 4-5 months in the future COULD possibly move some people to say, "Heck with it, NX is out now, let's give it a go."

To me, that sounds like an awesome second half of the year for Nintendo.

rallydefault

skywake

Theory:
The portable function of the NX will behave like off-TV play in a sense. With it not simply being a second display. Depending on what developers want to do they might have the portable "part" of the game function differently. For example an NX equivalent of Nintendo Land might have all the party games available on the TV. But then have a bunch of puzzle/toy style single player games available when you undock it.

Because the way I picture the NX in my head there will be differences between the two modes. Even if the core hardware is the same. A docked mode always has internet connectivity, has access to more storage expansion options and is a shared experience. A portable mode lacks those things but will probably have a touch screen while the docked mode won't.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

erv

If there's a difference between the portable and homeplugged versions it kills one of those key benefits: less development time.

Well, not quite, but still it's more work to create more stuff.

...whoa, that makes so much sense...

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

@erv
I wasn't talking about massive differences, it'd literally be the same game. What I'm saying is that they could potentially make it so developers would know what form you're playing the game on. Whether you're in portable mode or not. In the same way that the Wii U knows whether you're using the GamePad or a Pro Controller.

As another example, maybe a Mario Kart game when docked gives you split-screen multiplayer options. The same way that every Mario Kart game does. But when you're in portable mode? Those options drop from the menu. Instead you get options to play with another NX owner. Download play and local WiFi.

Or maybe, as Nintendo does, they could build in some interesting elements for an RPG. Maybe the game you play in portable mode is slightly different. Maybe there's a cave or area that changes depending on how you're playing the game. Or NPC dialogue that breaks the fourth wall. I reckon it could be pretty cool.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo NX Reveal To Be “Within The Year”, NOE Rep Reiterates; Development Tools To Become Available Later For Small Devs

The lack of any official detail regarding the Nintendo NX, the company’s mysterious next console, is definitely becoming unnerving as we get closer to the confirmed March 2017 release date. Rumors in the past weeks stated that a reveal will be coming soon, and it seems like they were somewhat right.

Nintendo of Europe representative Ulysse Richert-Botté reiterated that Nintendo will publicly share more information about the NX within the year. He also added that development tools will be made available to smaller developers at a later time.

Untitled

http://wccftech.com/nintendo-nx-reveal-within-year-according-...

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Samurai_Goroh

So, it's "coming soon". I feel much more relieved, don't you guys? But how soon is soon? Soon.

Samurai_Goroh

gcunit

'...within this year' could be calendar year, could be financial year, could be light year....

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

Thats a kicker as now the route to success for an in development title is effectovely locked. Hooray!

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Vinny

Wew, the investors meeting is coming October 26 so there's no way they'll be able to avoid the subject.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

erv

Vinny wrote:

Wew, the investors meeting is coming October 26 so there's no way they'll be able to avoid the subject.

We're going to be please understanding.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

TuVictus

One way or the other information will be dragged out of them

TuVictus

LzWinky

Dragged? They can just say no

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

FragRed

I think Nintendo will want to avoid avoid their share prices slumping especially as it'll be another quarterly loss. The Mario Run mobile game will go quite far in itself to stop this but some actual concrete news such as a reveal date etc would definitely do a lot to help keep the shares stable.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Moshugan

WOO!! A week and a half until the NX reveal ! ! ! (maybe)
GET HYPED ALL - OVER - AGAIN !! !!!

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

MarcelRguez

Untitled
Source/Via

Not a bad name, if you ask me, but it's 2ch. Take it with a bag of salt.

Edit: Aaaaand... fake: Untitled

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic