Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,961 to 4,980 of 69,980

Shinion

@DjLewe78 that's nothing new though, not just for Nintendo, people getting overexcited happens all the time and they have to deal with it if they end up being disappointed, preferably not by trying to force their disappointment on others who may genuinely be excited.

The WUST on Neogaf have become legend, as was Uncharted 3's pre-release hype that led to one of the most infamous review threads on that site, now you'd be hung dry if you dare to suggest that that same game is the second best in the series (as I do). Heck even this year No Man's Sky has set new grounds for meltdowns/massive disappointment, and I can't tell you how many people were acting towards me like basically PR reps over PS Neo before its unveiling and they did a much, much better job of selling it to me than Sony ended up doing, as they were convinced before they'd even seen it how revolutionary it would be.

So it's inevitable whether or not NX is good/bad/whatever that there will be disappointed people but I say that's on them if they genuinely thought it would be a handheld/console hybrid on the level of the PS4 or something. I've also seen that Nintendo need their "best ever lineup of games" and "they'd better be mind blowing with their reveal" many, many times. People don't seem to be able to temper their expectations, and they never learn from things like NMS.

Of course people can be excited and I am one of those people but I just know there will be at least one idiot trotting out the usual tirade of melodramatic nonsense, and that should be fun.

Nintendo seem to attract that sort of individual more than most but it's best to just ignore them.

Shinion

rallydefault

@DefHalan

They're not going "full mobile for income," no (that would be insane for the next couple years), but they are entering the mobile space in a big way. I mean, by the end of this year they will have two big mobile games, and by the end of 2017 it's conceivable that they have 4 or 5 total released mobile games. For mobile games from one developer, that's quite a lot. To me, that shows more than just "testing the waters." I'm sure you'll disagree, but honestly I would think you're just being contrary to be contrary - 4 high-quality (AAA, quite literally) mobile games from one develop in the span of two years is not a light commitment no matter how you look at it.

They won't lean on mobile for the majority of their income for at least a few years, and if the NX does well I'm sure they'll never truly want to view mobile as their main attraction. BUT if the NX doesn't do well, and the mobile market continues to do what it's been doing, they'll already have a very sizable presence. Which is good news for us, because that means Nintendo won't live or die by this new machine. Hopefully.

rallydefault

DjLewe78

@Shinion

The games, this is what we should really be excited about. Not GPU/CPU. They are irrelevant if the games played, look and feel like true classics.
Give us Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon (which I hate/don't get) and we will all be happy. If you moan about pixels with all those amazing games your c..........

1 up !

erv

erv wrote:

I fully expect nx to slip to at least may 2017 to be honest.

... which is why I've said this earlier.

A march 2017 seems unlikely, and having e3 publicity and orders flowing in straight after sounds more like smooth sailing nintendo is after.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

LzWinky

At least have it ready to launch, unlike the 3DS. That was a dumb move

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@erv March could work, just make sure you market the system the right way, maybe towards the Nintendo gamers first. Make sure the system gets plenty of titles, then focus on some summer titles and during fall the system will likely have build up a decent userbase and a good library for other people to consider it and cave in. I mean, you could make any month work, it just requires the right marketing, not sure if that's going to happen though.

Octane

MarcelRguez

Friendly reminder that the last official statement about the NX was back in August, when it was stated that it was still on track for a March release. As far as official info (and even rumors) go, the fear of a delay is completely unfounded.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Moshugan

@MarcelRguez EDIT: Whoops, the Pokémon Company CEO statement happened in September. My bad saying it was in August.

I think there has been no official statements about the launch timeframe or anything specific regarding the NX after the immediate time following E3, has there? Who said it in August?

Edited on by Moshugan

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

MarcelRguez

@Moshugan Investors meeting, IIRC. I'm assuming it was Kimishima. I'm not including TPC'S CEO comments as official since it's a different company.

Edit: My mistake: it was mentioned in June's Annual Report:

With respect to hardware, Nintendo continuously investigates and undertakes research on fundamental technologies spanning data storage technology such as semiconductor memories, display technology such as liquid crystal displays, and electronic components, while it also carries out research and development activities to examine the applicability of various technologies including interfaces such as touch panels and sensors, wireless communication, networks and security to the field of home entertainment. Nintendo is also devoted to the development of a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept, which will be launched in March 2017 globally.

Edit 2: Turns out I wasn't that far off.
July 27: The dedicated gaming platform, code-named “NX,” which is currently under development and incorporates a brand-new concept, is scheduled for launch in March 2017 globally.

And as a fun fact, people have been saying it will be delayed for a while now.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Moshugan

@MarcelRguez Haha, yeah that's almost August.
There could've happened a lot after that which might have led to a delay but I don't think there's any evidence to assume it's being delayed.

MarcelRguez

@Moshugan Yeah, lots of things could go wrong, especially since those statements were made before manufacturing began. However, neither that nor Nintendo's silence should be interpreted as a bad sign. People are just a bit iffy about the March release date, it's been a thing since it was first announced.

MarcelRguez

Moshugan

I'm gonna update my guesses a bit:

Moshugan wrote:

Is it a hybrid? (1 point): No, but it's a unified platform with a single game library, that consists of an independent handheld and an independent home console that can be used in a Supplemental Computing Device-like configuration with the handheld for extra power, no detachable controllers
The name? (5 points): NES 2000
Number of devices (e.g. differences in colour, harddrive capacity etc.) at available at launch (2 points for correct number, 1 bonus point per accurate explanation): Three SKUs, 1) Home console with 500GB HDD 2) The Handheld with 32GB internal + 32GB SD card 3) Bundle with home+handheld
Reveal date (1 point for correct month, 3 points correct week, 5 points correct day): October 25th, just before the investors meeting
Launch date (1 point for correct month, 3 points correct week, 5 points correct day): March 24th (US at least)
Launch price (2 points, additional bonus point(s) for correct multiple price points): $299 for home, $199 for handheld and $399 for bundle
Launch titles (up to 10 guesses, 2 points per correct guess, -1 point per incorrect): Zelda:Breath of the Wild, Mario 64 remake, Super Mario Maker w/ a proper single player campaign, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing, Just Dance, Super Smash Bros., a Retro Studios title

TuVictus

Still putting my bets on "delayed". Would love to be wrong, but I am convinced the only reason they said March was to appease investors after the dire year the wii u had ahead of it back when they discussed the NX. Now that they have Mario run I wouldn't be surprised if they feel comfortable pushing it into the next financial year now.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

Moshugan wrote:

Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing

Just so you know, these would be made by the same team, which would be the former EAD Software Development Group No. 2. Unless they mixed up the teams when EAD and SPD merged into EPD, I wouldn't count on seeing both series at launch.

MarcelRguez

gcunit

If nothing's announced before the next shareholders meeting, you've gotta be thinking they'll announce a delay at that meeting.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Moshugan

@MarcelRguez Oh, that's a bummer. I'm not too well versed in who works in which team, and what games are worked on by each.

@gcunit Yeah, I agree.

MarcelRguez

@gcunit I agree. They can't get away with "we'll talk about it later", either they establish a reveal date or they delay it.

@Moshugan Nobody is, to be fair. People are still working out what this whole restructuring ordeal means for the former teams. The way I understand it, the organization within EAD/EPD hasn't changed, but the internal mobility between teams has increased. This could mean, for example, that we might see more ad hoc teams being created for the sole purpose of developing a single game/series, similarly to Sakurai's Project Sora.

Besides that, expect Monolith and Retro's names to pop up fairly often in other games' credits, since they seem to be the de facto teams for distribution of labor. I'm guessing this restructuring has a lot to do with that, making such contributions faster/less bureaucratic by increasing mobility across teams.

MarcelRguez

Octane

I don't know about a delay.. I mean, and I've said it before, I'd be more worried if the NX is delayed, but Nintendo hasn't said anything yet. It's just Nintendo playing their cards close to their chest I think, although I don't think they've ever been so secretive about something.

@vanzan If you have an issue, use the contact form: https://www.nintendolife.com/contact

Octane

GrailUK

If the NX's hook is a mobile app component, then they don't want to reveal their plans anytime soon, else Microsoft could roll something out in 6 months (albeit not quite the original concept) and beat Nintendo with being first to market. The simplest ideas are usually the best...unfortunately they are the easiest to copy.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic