Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,821 to 4,840 of 69,963

DjLewe78

@skywake

Just throwing this out there, tis only a thought.

The guy in the clip saying these words I posted said he "had to be careful". Now I was trying to work out, if he was trying to not mention the game, or the hardware. So he says assains creed (my worst game series ever BTW) and says you play "the assassins creed mobile game right out your pocket"

There's the news from what he said in my opinion.

So developers like EA, Ubisoft and loads more do release mobile versions of AAA games to co-exist with the console version.

Is it beyond reality to think that developers are improving mobile games due to better phones and tablets available and can now somehow link to the purchase of the console game. Example FIFA would be the easiest to as it's a game of football (or soccer if your not from around these parts) and those scores can easily be ported over to your account.

So MAYBE the reason why there have been no real leaks is because the NX handheld is actually an APP for your mobile which connects the mobile to the console.

Imagine the new AAA Metroid prime releasing alongside a 2D platform mobile game, that contributes to your your main experience??????

Do I make any sense

Edited on by DjLewe78

1 up !

DjLewe78

@FragRed

I believe he is a tech blogger of some kind, I'm new to his existence too 😂
But someone has asked him to speak at this event, so providing he's not a lunatic waiting to be carted off in an ambulance, he must have some kind of knowledge.

1 up !

FragRed

@DjLewe78 He does look like a lunatic and I question after looking at him, I'd ask whether the people who he spoke to worked in some kinda fast food joint. Again he looks like a lunatic. Lol

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DjLewe78

@FragRed

So this boogie guy has 3.5 million subscribers and he said these words at an event called RETROPALOOZA.

He does look the sort of guy that dines with developers 😂

1 up !

skywake

@DjLewe78
I don't know, it sounds like someone doing the "my uncle works at Nintendo" bit on stage. Just because someone has an audience doesn't mean they know what they're on about. Even if he does have inside info he might not be relaying the details correctly. And as neat as the "mobile theory" kinda idea fits with what he said? It doesn't fit with other bits of information about the NX.

Remember, officially we know basically three things about the NX:
1. It's hardware (It was first mentioned to show investors Nintendo wasn't leaving the hardware game)
2. Zelda BotW is running on it (also Just Dance and I think a couple of others)
3. It's scheduled to launch in March 2017

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@DjLewe78 @FragRed I believe he's a pretty big YouTuber, talks about games and stuff. Not sure how credible his info is, but these people sometimes know more than others do, but there's no way to confirm it. If it's true, then I wonder what the concept behind NX is. I mean, maybe he meant the ''portable'' version of the game, you know, the same experience. But it really sounds as if he was talking about some mobile app that accompanies the game. Like skywake said; the Dreamcast's VMU.

The problem is that I cannot see why they'd put all of this tech into the handheld just to play mobile games on the go. It limits the home console experience; that's maybe acceptable if it's a full-on handheld first, but his wording make it sound like that's not true either. So I don't know how much stock I'd put in this rumour, probably not a whole lot.

Octane

DjLewe78

@skywake

Its bloody annoying as now I'm thinking Nintendo DID say Zelda was running on NX.
But this goes back to the biggest of all questions, what is the NX.
If it is just a home console then obviously Zelda will run on it.
But Look at what Nintendo are bringing to mobiles with mario run, animal crossing, A ZELDA game, all of their large franchises.
Maybe they see the future of handheld gaming as mobile titles playable on a devise you already own (phone/tablet) and the mobile games are produced alongside the main title??????

1 up !

DjLewe78

@Octane

In reality we don't know what tech goes in what machine at the moment.
The secret is too big to be a straight forward handheld/console set up. And what with that gaming tablet with detachable controllers released maybe we are lead down the wrong path. Surely that tablet is a carbon copy of what the NX was rumoured to be, the Nintendo lawyers would have been hard at work. I mean Nintendo appear to own the patents for the damn thing!!!

Edited on by DjLewe78

1 up !

skywake

@DjLewe78
If that's what the NX is then the NX is just a standard console. There are already mobile companion apps for games. Assassin's Creed had them, GTA had them. They're not really a thing that needs new hardware to exist. And besides, Nintendo has said the NX is a new hardware platform. What you're talking about is a software solution. If that's all it was? I don't think anyone would be chattering about the NX being a hybrid.

@Octane
I can't see the idea of the portable version of the game being different. I don't see what the advantage of that is. Either the portable is an entirely different machine bundled in the box. Like the Dreamcast's VMU. The games are basically just minigames. Or they're not and at that point you're back to where they are now with the 3DS and Wii U.

Two ways I can see this hybrid concept working:
1. The portable is the machine
2. There are two different machines, portable and home console, sold separately. Same architecture, same games. The home console is just a higher spec version of the same thing. Kinda like having a PS4 on the go and a PS4 Pro under the TV, but with less horsepower.

Edited on by skywake

DjLewe78

I'm struggling to see how having a new handheld and a new console is pushing this thing forward enough. So in our pockets/bags or whatever we have mobile phones already more powerful than the 3DS and a new Nintendo handheld device?

While Nintendo also makes games for mobiles now and makes games for the NX hybrid?

Something doesn't make sense there business wise to me.

1 up !

Octane

@skywake Exactly. If it was just a mini game that you'd take on the go, that would defeat the point of the NX being a handheld first. If it's really two devices, then I wonder if they're going to be sold separately, as that would essentially be a Wii U + 3DS that functions as a GamePad. However, that doesn't line up with the ''rumours'', for whatever they're worth at this point.

Octane

MarcelRguez

It is kinda true that the market for "companion" games on mobile is growing stronger in the West. Eidos in particular seems to be pushing these little games on mobile to promote their big releases (Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Hitman, etc.). I could see the idea behind a device that allows you to play the main experience at home and those smaller titles on the go, especially if you can get things like bonus items, story bits and the like just for playing the smaller game.

That said, I don't see Nintendo doing such a thing for the reasons already mentioned. Besides, they would be sacrificing their most profitable branch (portables) to increase the appeal of their home consoles. Seems a bit backwards to me.

They could take advantage of such a model with a good number of IPs, though, the first one being Animal Crossing. There's a phone game on the way, remember?

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

DjLewe78

@MarcelRguez

Followed by a dedicated Mario colour splash 1 hour direct and 9 hour tree house presentation 😑

1 up !

skywake

NES Mini Direct. Nintendo are just trolling us now

@MarcelRguez
The thing about companion apps is that they can already exist. You don't need new hardware to do that. And anyways, we already know Nintendo are going into the mobile space. Super Mario Run is pretty much what that dude was talking about.

FragRed

Why does Nintendo feel the need to do a NES Mini live stream? I can't see there being anything worthy of a live stream that isn't already known or can't be shown in a trailer.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JoyBoy

Not just that, it seems it's sold out everywhere already lol

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

DjLewe78

They are building brand hype.
Nintendo are back to selling out of systems again

1 up !

MarcelRguez

@skywake Sure, but the large majority of those companion apps aren't built to support the main game, only to promote it. Not to mention, their design is limited by phones themselves. They're built with touchscreen inputs in mind. Portable hardware would allow for more gameplay variety. They'd be more "companion games" than "companion apps", if you will.

Of course, that creates the problem of developers needing to make two games and sell them as a package. Which means, the intelligent thing to do would be to give devs the choice of supporting this feature or not. This, in turn, would also mean that only triple A studios with deep enough pockets would take full advantage of it.

...unless it's not an either/or situation and you can do either of two things: you can put a companion game on the portable or you can put a version of the main game running on lower specs, which is what people had in mind when this hybrid idea came about. Honestly, the concept sounds good, but flexibility can make ir or break it, I think.

Edit: Funny thing about Boogie's wording:

Boogie2988 wrote:

Let's say you can play Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console and then you can detach the thing, take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And when you get back home, plug it directly in, and now attaches back to the...

This seems to suggest that the console, by itself, is useless. You'd need to plug in the portable system if you want to play anything. Unless there's an alternative solution that's escaping me, that'd mean that the main processing is taking place in the portable device, which would mean that there'd be no reason why the games wouldn't be able to run on it with lesser quality assets.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic