Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 69,950

MarcelRguez

@Samurai_Goroh Am I right in assuming that HDR support is not a costly addition, then? Otherwise, the small number of people with 4K TVs might not be worth taking into account, especially if the NX turns out to be more portable, less home console.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

skywake

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

Tegra Pascal is older than Parker? Would this be in the same ballpark as the Xbox One?

Kepler -> Maxwell -> Pascal -> Volta

Tegra K1: Kepler
Tegra X1: Maxwell
Rumoured NX: Pascal?

But the XBOne and PS4 use AMD so, in terms of age at least:
PS4/XBOne -> GCN 2 -> About as old as Kepler
Revisions -> GCN 4 -> Basically in-line with Pascal

Not that it means much, you'd expect newer hardware to use newer components. Doesn't say anything about how powerful they are or anything else. At best it tells you something about how power efficient it might be.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@MarcelRguez Yes and no. HDR is a separate feature from 4K, HDR (high dynamic range) refers to the contrast, or a higher contrast of colours in this case. It's ''newer'' tech than 4K, so I've only seen it in 4K TVs yet. Technically 1080p HDR TVs could exist, but I don't think they currently do. The difference between HDR and no HDR is quite noticeable, but it hasn't anything to do with the resolution per se, just that there currently are no 1080p HDR TVs from what I know. However, @Samurai_Goroh is right, even if they don't make 4K games, and I don't expect them to, that's no reason to not include HDR support. Regardless of what resolution the game runs in, HDR is very noticeable. And it's not really an effort to put in, just include an HDMI 2.0 out port (which should be standard by now) and you're essentially set to go. They would have to manually block HDR support if they don't want to support it, which is kinda stupid, hence my remark.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@Octane I see. So, theoretically, HDR support could be included not only for TV output mode, but on the portable device's screen as well? From what you're mentioning (and from the fact that the regular PS4 supports it as well), I'm guessing it's not a resource-heavy task at all. Or would it be unrealistic to expect it from an efficiency-oriented Pascal Tegra?

MarcelRguez

Octane

@MarcelRguez It's again a situation where it technically could, but I don't see it happening. I have yet to see a HDR screen on a phone or tablet, cause I haven't even seen regular 1080p HDR screens. I don't think they exist. Even if they made them, I doubt they'll be affordable. Definitely not the thing Nintendo wants to put in their system. They could've opted for a 1080p screen, but rumours point to a 720p screen. So I don't think that a HDR screen is on Nintendo's mind at all.

From the fact that Sony could enable it with a simple software update, should tell you that it doesn't require any extra hardware. So it's indeed just a matter of having the right HDMI port to output the HDR signal. I'm not sure how HDR effects power usage, but if the NX needs to be docked to play on TV, then I don't see the issue. The handheld itself will most definitely not support HDR, so it won't really affect the battery life. Of course, I'm assuming that the dock will have a power cable and not a battery, that kinda depends on what the NX actually is and how it works.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@Octane Very informative, thanks. You're right, it would become a non-issue if the dock came with its own power cable, but even rumors and speculation about that part of the console are sparse and vague at best. Those Foxconn employees can't leak stuff soon enough.

MarcelRguez

Octane

@MarcelRguez It happened with the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, so it could and probably will also happen with the NX if Nintendo doesn't reveal the system before that. The question is, who's first?

Octane

dtjive

Personally I think the Wii U was the almost perfect follow on from the Wii if it didn't include the gamepad screen (although I do like it myself).

The Wii U should have focused on the customisable controller options that it had. Whilst the Wii forced motion controls on everyone, the Wii U should have been branded a "play your own way" console emphasising the options of the Wii remote or the pro controller with the option to toggle motion/gyro controls on and off. I think that would have appealed to core and casual gamers more clearly.

But then they introduced the second screen thing which became the main gimmick without a clear reason as to why it was there and it became a marketing mess....

dtjive

MarcelRguez

@AlternateButtons It's on the previous page. It's basically the same thing Eurogamer and the like described, so if they're right, he is too.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

dtjive

If that is true then that would put the NX at 1.08-1.44 terraflops which would be similar powered to the XboxOne at the minimum, or smack inbetween the Xbox and PS4 at the maximum.

If true I think that would be great news, but a lot of rumours have suggested it would be more in between the Wii U and Xbox in actual power which I find to be a little disappointing but more realistic for the hybrid concept.

dtjive

gcunit

@dtjive Wii U would have been better received if they had got it out 2-3 years earlier. It went and bettered PS3 and 360, but only a year before they were succeeded. A couple more years of the Wii U being the best console available would have given the goodness that is it's exclusive games library much more general exposure.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

MarcelRguez

@dtjive I'd be willing to accept a <1 teraflop device only if it turned out to be a portable device with minor home console features. If things are more balanced between both concepts, I'm not accepting anything under an OG PS4's performance. Even if we're talking about Nintendo here, it really shouldn't be hard to surpass tech from more than 3 years ago by now.

@gcunit I think that's too optimistic of a prediction. The situation would be better, but it wouldn't correct two of the main problems of the console: price and catalog. If Nintendo was struggling with HD development back in 2011-2012, I don't even want to think what they'd have done in 2009-2010.

MarcelRguez

TuVictus

If the hybrid rumors are true I definitely hope it's more of a handheld with TVOut capabilities with a proper home console coming in the future.

TuVictus

dtjive

Operative wrote:

If the hybrid rumors are true I definitely hope it's more of a handheld with TVOut capabilities with a proper home console coming in the future.

Don't hold your breath. If the hybrid succeeds there will be no plan for a dedicated console anytime in the foreseeable future

dtjive

TuVictus

When it comes to Nintendo I learned not to hold my breath. Otherwise I'd suffocate.

TuVictus

rallydefault

Operative wrote:

@rallydefault but why did federation force not receive more marketing? Maybe it's because people like us completely demolished it at every chance we saw it as these "minority" events like e3 or the Nintendo directs. Maybe if reception had been more positive, Nintendo would have sent more than two copies to each gamestop and bothered to talk about it more. To say the things the dedicated loyalists such as those on this forum or other sites like kotaku or destructoid don't matter AT ALL is... Disagreeable. Word of mouth is a powerful thing, and Nintendo often relies on it. And who starts talking at first? The people that watch the Nintendo directs and e3 and other gaming event presentations.

Also, I get the feeling that you view me as a typical Nintendo fan boy. In which case you couldn't be more wrong considering I'm usually the one at odds with many people on this forum. I just find it absurd to say Internet reaction has absolutely zero effect on a company or how it provides its products. Or do you mean to say that it wasn't the ridiculous backlash that made a giant corporation like Microsoft do a complete 180 on the original xbox one vision.

That said, yes Nintendo Sucks at marketing in every form.

I'm sorry, man. I've been on this board for a long time and read lots of your posts, but I think you're off on this one. And how you put "the minority" in quotes when referring to stuff like E3 like some kind of tongue-in-cheek gotcha moment - that's kinda silly, because events like E3 are LITERALLY minority events.

Think of how many gamers there are. Millions. Tens of millions. Breaching into the hundred of millions if you count console/PC, especially toward the end of a generation based on hardware sales. Think of how many people get to go to E3. (50,300 is the official 2016 count). Now think of how many gamers actually care enough to intake a substantial amount of E3/other event news.

I mean, come on - you're grasping at sentimental straws here. You have to face it. Numbers don't lie. Exponentially more people support the hobby of gaming than the largest web traffic counts from the largest video game websites. You could probably even COMBINE that with subscriber numbers to the few remaining video game magazines. The numbers just don't add up, man. For people like us, yea - websites and E3, PAX, blahblahblah - great sources of information. Forums are fun to yell at people and pretend we all have degrees in argumentation. But ultimately, that's all it is - an arena for the devoted to bleed their hearts out. Very little of it, if anything at all, has an effect on actual sales numbers and reception.

And as a final, stake-to-the-heart statement for your Federation Force theory, Nintendo didn't back it because Nintendo clearly has other things on its mind right now. Mobile and NX are priority. Apply your logic to Mario Color Splash or whatevertheheck it's called coming out. From what I've read, people have very nice things to say about it. On the internet. So where are the commercials on my TV? Where are the Youtube ads? Isn't it coming out in under 2 weeks? Come on, man. The internet seems to like the game. By your logic, it should be getting lots of marketing support. You see? Your theory just doesn't hold water.

And @BiasedSonyFan, I don't even know what to say to you. You just made a post trying to tell me that only the "occasional" internet poster had something negative to say about Destiny/ The Division. In the same post, you tried to cite Metacritic as a reputable barometer of game reception. If I had any respect for what you were saying before, you blew it.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

TuVictus

@rallydefault I'm just going to say I think you vastly underestimate the impact that the gaming community as a whole can have and move on. You feel you don't. Okay. EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm just not healthy enough right now to argue, it's just...I don't care right now. So I'll end it here.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

rallydefault

@Operative Ok. And I think you vastly overestimate our impact. Touche, as they say. P.S. - hope you feel better.

@BiasedSonyFan

Still don't know what to make of you. You seem to esteem your ability to take people's words and twist them. If you didn't mean to use the word "occasional," then don't use it.

You now seem to be taking this solely in the direction of the media, where I was really focusing on people like us whining into the void that is internet forums. But fine. You want to talk media? You actually think you're logical and have a case? If you care enough, go look up some web traffic data on the largest video game websites: IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, etc. I dare you. Come back here with an accurate number, and hold that up against this number:

123.67 million.

That's the number of combined hardware sales as of now for the previous generation of Wii, 360, and PS3. Then, try and tell me that the number of people who read video game media on the internet (and hey, just for fun, double that internet number for print media, even though we know that number isn't anywhere that high), and try to tell me that video game media traffic represents anything near an acceptable sample size percentage of such a massive "population."

Go ahead.

rallydefault

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@Octane

He didn't just explain what needed to happen; he clearly suggested that the Wii U would be a difficult product to sell for reasons that he correctly identified:

"And my answer was that the Wii at this point has sold over 100 million units worldwide, and even though there are people saying ‘Hey, since the Wii was so successful, Wii U is also going to be successful and it’s also going to sell like wildfire as well,’ I looked at that global install base and said that it might not sell as well...[t]he point that I was trying to get across was that Wii has sold so much and is being played by so many people, it’s not going to be easy to make them leave that and come to the next system. That was my only point, that it was a difficult task for us to bring those consumers from Wii to Wii U."

@skywake wants to pretend that no one saw the writing on the wall and the Wii U was just an unlucky failure. The reality is that Kimishima's warnings were not heeded. When someone at a sales meeting makes the claim that Nintendo would sell 100 million Wii Us despite these warnings, that's unsound thinking. You cannot rationalize what Nintendo did.

Yep, that's exactly the quote we were talking about. I'm not sure how on earth you've managed to quote it and not read it. It's pretty clearly not saying what you say it says. And it's right there in your post!

He's here in this quote correcting the record, saying that he never said the Wii U was doomed from the start. That his words have been misunderstood and twisted. And there you go, misunderstanding and twisting his correction. This is almost Trumpian levels of delusion building.

And anyways, the original spark for this downward spiral? It was you saying that Nintendo would definitely stuff up the NX. Based on an assertion that Nintendo has made a series of stuffups. That they're somehow incompetent and you know better. And to prove that point you're doing what. Claiming that their new CEO is cut from a different cloth? But surely, if he's no Iwata he'll do things differently right? Even if what you were saying made any sense it doesn't make much sense.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

faint

I think after the watching the metal Jesus video with the device that resembles the euro gamer leak in every way I may have to leave the hybrid camp and join the home console camp.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic