Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 69,981

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

you don't think a $100 system that can play VC, a lot of eShop games, allow streaming, and extra multiplayer options would be worth it for some people?

I don't see the point of this product or how it could possibly make things easier for Nintendo. Either these games on it have to be ported specifically for that hardware or it's a paired back Wii U. Again, what you're talking about is basically a Wii U mini.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: You still can only buy the system for $250, you can't buy the system without those two games for the price you said.

@skywake: the micro console becomes the base line for cross platform (handheld and home console) releases. If you want a game to release on multiple Nintendo systems, the micro console is the system to support, since all games on fhe micro console will be on both the handheld and the home console. Keeping the same architecture from the Wii U for the micro console would mean the next handheld and home consoles wouldn't be able to be more compatible with the PS4/XB1 which most people think they will be. The micro console is a support console to the other two. It adds features and allows for the user to get more out of their other systems. It is mainly targeting those with multiple TVs and those that want a cheap entry point into the Nintendo market. If it was just old hardware repackaged, it would still have the same problems as that old hardware. It needs to be new hardware that will be compatible with their other two systems that will be releasing.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Frostyboy

@DefHalan: well who's going to buy a console with out games? what I'm trying to say is Nintendo affectedly selling the Wii U for $150. There nothing stoping them dropping the base console to that and by the end of 2016 its could be as low as £100. But you know could be right we have no clue on what the NX is apart from rumours maybe they just make a Wii mini but rebranded it as a Micro console. . I'm hoping Nintendo make a Handheld that you can connected to your TV and play with a controller because I'm crazy about my 3DS I think is the true successor to the GameCube.

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: when doing these bundles, they normally take a loss on the software to make th hardware more appealing.

Frostyboy

@DefHalan: yes but there also nothing stoping them taking a lose on hardware to bust sales.

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: but that probably isn't going to be a profitable model for them to adopt for the Wii U currently. Having a micro console that makes profit at $100 probably be a better stance to take next year while the Wii U finishes its last year or two on the market while I transition to its replacement. Maybe in two years the Wii U could be sold at $100 but would it be profitable at that point and would that in any way benefit the next generation cobsole they will be gearing up for? Probably not.

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

the micro console becomes the base line for cross platform (handheld and home console) releases. If you want a game to release on multiple Nintendo systems, the micro console is the system to support, since all games on fhe micro console will be on both the handheld and the home console.

I understand your argument but from a technical point of view they can do this without the hardware actually existing. Infact it's probably better if they do because it would remove the bit where you have to get the game working and optimise it for release. Don't be under the illusion that there will be a magical "port to portable and home console" button. I'd also add that regardless of what architecture they go for with the home console it's probably going to be different from their portable. Unless this device has a specific point to exist they're not going to waste development time on it.

If they're going to have a third pillar for a cheaper home console SKU it makes far more sense to fold the Wii U into that framework. They're going to have to optimise the game for release on every platform regardless. Why not have that platform be the Wii U? Would have the added advantage of making it easier to move Wii U releases across to the next-gen so they're probably doing it anyways. If everyone moves onto the next-gen? Nothing is lost.

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

@skywake: If the do that with the Wii U, then the hardware change from the Wii U to the next cobsole will not line up with ehat developers want. The architecture would need to be more similar to the Wii U this still having it be difficult to port to from the PS4/XB1. I imagine the micro console would be included inside the next home and handheld console (kinda like Wii more on the Wii U, the transition to micro console mode would just have to be more seemless) offering less hassle when it comes to optimization. There could still be issues but kt would work well enough to release and fix with a patch. No matter how they try, unless the two machines are exactly the same, porting will require some work. This way they can minimize work. The purpose of the micro cobsole is offering both developers and consumers a easy way into the Nintendo market. Developers wouldn't need to spend thousands on development kits for the micro console and consumers could get a taste of Nintendo for minimal money. You may not be interested in the system but I think there is a market for it, espically with Nintendo's family image. Rather than putting the Home system in the kids room, you can put the cheap micro console in there and they can still enjoy their games while you are doing whatever. The Home Console stays in the living room so you can play your games when/how you want. It offers more variety and affordability.

skywake

@DefHalan:
Or they could just have backwards compatibility with the Wii U. Either via full hardware compatibility or via a software solution along the lines of the 360 -> XBOne scheme. Seriously, why do they need to have have another platform to develop for? If the idea is to have more games available with less development time then the Wii U has plenty of content.

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

@skywake: the idea is to offer easier development for developers and easier entry points for consumers. Not enough people want Wii U so they are going to try something new. I would still like to see BC for the next Home Console but a micro console has an opportunity to start breaking into the market and let others experience Nintendo for cheap. Lowering the Wii U price hasn't done much. Maybe once the sales numbers for this holiday come in, things might change but right now I don't think a Wii u Mini is going to be a big hit

skywake

@DefHalan:
I'm not saying a "Wii U Mini" is a good idea, all I'm saying is that it's a better idea than a "third pillar" micro-console. Why create a specific platform for that middle tier? The only point of it is so there can be a home console at a lower price point that the flagship device. It doesn't ease the development burden because games still have to be made for it given that by definition it's different hardware. I don't see what the advantage of it is.

Here's another thought for you. The 3DS is ARM based as is pretty much every mobile device on the market. It's almost a certainty that Nintendo's next portable console will also be ARM based. On the higher end side of "gaming" everything but the Wii U is x86. The Wii U is the only major product on the market that's PPC based ignoring previous generation products. So it seems very unlikely that both the portable and home console will be the same architecture. Therefore a "middle ground" won't be possible, they're better off filling that space with the Wii U because the Wii U already has a library. That's if it needs to be filled at all.

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

@skywake: I think we have reached a point where we just disagree. I don't think there is anything either of us can say to try to clear up our point of views, we just disagree and that is fine. I do believe a micro console is a little out there for guesses but it is my guess based off what we know and I am going to stick by it until information is release to contradict my guess.

skywake

@DefHalan:
At least your theory is possible both technically and in the time frame they've set out. I just can't for the life of me understand why they'd put energy into such a platform rather than a new portable or home console. Why not just do what you're saying they should do (and I agree) but with just two tiers?

rallydefault

DefHalan wrote:

@Frostyboy: you don't think a $100 system that can play VC, a lot of eShop games, allow streaming, and extra multiplayer options would be worth it for some people?

I believe it was called the Ouya, and uh... well... it ended about as well as you would think.

rallydefault

Therad

rallydefault wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Frostyboy: you don't think a $100 system that can play VC, a lot of eShop games, allow streaming, and extra multiplayer options would be worth it for some people?

I believe it was called the Ouya, and uh... well... it ended about as well as you would think.

To be fair, Nintendo is a stronger brand than Ouya ever was. So it isn't the best comparison.

PS TV is probably the closest to what @DefHalan are talking about.

If you look at media players with gaming capabilities, you have a bigger field. Apple, google and Amazon are the biggest players. Nintendo can arguably beat them in the gaming section, but unless it is an android device, they will be far behind in media capabilities.

Therad

Therad

skywake wrote:

@DefHalan:
At least your theory is possible both technically and in the time frame they've set out. I just can't for the life of me understand why they'd put energy into such a platform rather than a new portable or home console. Why not just do what you're saying they should do (and I agree) but with just two tiers?

If it is a stripped down portable and they have succeeded in consolidate their tool sets, so they use the exact same tool set regardless if they are doing games for home or portable, it would be very doable.

But this raises another question, why don't they release the portable before the micro-console?

Therad

WebHead

@Therad: I guess it's be banking on being able to play Nintendo software as its key feature. Even if its mainly VC.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Therad

WebHead wrote:

@Therad: I guess it's be banking on being able to play Nintendo software as its key feature. Even if its mainly VC.

And I don't see that as a big selling point. Why have a VC-only machine when you can pick up a 3ds/2ds cheap?

Therad

skywake

Therad wrote:

If it is a stripped down portable and they have succeeded in consolidate their tool sets, so they use the exact same tool set regardless if they are doing games for home or portable, it would be very doable.

Well sure, it has to be the same hardware as an existing product otherwise they're just creating more work for themselves. Something which doesn't make sense if the idea of this is to make their development time count for more. Either way it still wouldn't be some kind of middle ground in terms of development. A more capable home console that's entirely different from the micro-console would still have to exist.

iKhan

A portable is going to be really tricky for Nintendo. While the whole "the casual market has moved to phones" is a gross oversimplification, it's not hard to see that significant parts of the handheld market has shifted to phones and tablets. Even speaking for myself, I use my phone today in many contexts that I would have used my Gameboy Color for back in the day. On the flip side of things, it's hard to make a "hardcore powerful" handheld device that developers would be willing to develop for. Extra Credit's episode on the Vita describes this really well. Handheld games have lower margins, so generally the motivation for making them is a lower cost.

In my eyes, they have only a few routes that would lead to success.

1. Create a handheld with power around that of the Vita. Have it run android, and make the thing SUPER easy to develop for.
2. Give it a minor power upgrade, putting it between the power of the 3DS and the Vita, but give it a super cool new feature that drives people to it.
3. Give it whatever power they want, but create a really strong interaction between the new handheld and smartphones/tablets. Make it so people can take parts of their games with them on their phone/tablet for super short-term play, but they can bring it back to their dedicated handheld for more long-term portable play.

They may also be able to see "good enough" sales this way.
1. Make it a standard power upgrade (probably to somewhere around the Vita), but load the thing up with great games. Make it so the niche dedicated handheld market can't refuse it.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic