Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,421 to 3,440 of 69,952

Grumblevolcano

@BLPs Nintendo could be pulling the Dreamcast card, part of SEGA's plan back then in the 90s was giving rumours to the media which were actually true to fill the hype drought caused by Saturn. Nintendo could be doing the same here and we've already seen tons of comparisons between the Saturn and Wii U already with predictions that NX for Nintendo is like the Dreamcast for SEGA.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

I think the NX will use the eye tracking used in military fighter pilot HUDs. It will let you pass a football to where you are looking at on the screen (which EA wouldn't use because...y'know third parties) or aim reliably (kinda like that auto aim in Goldeneye) (which Ubisoft won't use because...third parties). Something like that could really add a new dimension to playability and I don't think it has been done outside of that Star Fox anime short lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano The Wii U is very much a Saturn. Highly rated and much loved library, didn't sell great. If this IS a Dreamcast scenario, and Nintendo are the ones to troll like this, or jus generally be insane, I'm down for the that. I'm a regular user of the "I know I'm insane just roll with it" group.

At this point I can only dream of the reveal now. XD

When you gonna give to me, a gift to me
Is it just a matter of time, Nintendo?
Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny
Or is it just a game in my mind, Nintendo?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I doubt Nintendo considers this to be the same scenario as Sega was in. For starters Sega was near bankruptcy when the Dreamcast came out and secondly Sega had no successful second console to help keep some kind of income, whereas Nintendo still has the 3DS.

I do feel that it is very much make or break though with the NX even if they have always been a massive success in the handheld market - there is never a guarantee it will happen again. Especially if for some crazy reasons the new PlayStation rumours were true.

Edited on by FragRed

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

erv

3ds is being kept alive just to ensure they have something to fall back on.

The moment nx sells, it's the gba vs ds scenario all over again.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

@erv
I disagree, I think the 3DS is being kept alive because it currently makes up ~80% of their install base. So obviously development for the NX is taken from Wii U teams first. But I would wager that at this point they're already starting to take teams away from the 3DS also. I don't think the 3DS is a backup plan if the NX fails.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

cwong15

Since the NX will start with an installed base of about 0, it makes sense for Nintendo to target an established audience to sell their games. For the next few months at least, that established audience would obviously be the 3DS'. I don't think we need to read much more into their actions than that.

cwong15

IceClimbers

Yeah, it's as pretty simple as keeping their 60 million base happy is more important than keeping their 13 million base happy.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

When talking about what upcoming games mean for NX you should remember who's developing them. Here's a list of known Nintendo games coming out in the next year. For clarity I've put ones that are being developed by Nintendo themselves in bold:

Pikmin: Monolith Soft & 1-UP Studio
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World: Good-Feel
Pokemon Sun/Moon: Game Freak
Mario Sports Superstars: Camelot & Bandai Namco
Mario Party Star Rush: ND CUBE
Ever Oasis: Grezzo
Super Mario Maker 3DS: Nintendo
Paper Mario Color Splash: Intelligent Systems
Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Nintendo

I'm pretty sure that's it. Only two of them are actually being made by Nintendo themselves internally. One is a port and the other one is confirmed to be coming to the NX. Typically Nintendo develop around 5 games a year internally. Some years a bit less, others a bit more. So far we know of 2-ish for the next year.

We also know that Nintendo typically has quite an amount of other content from second party studios. Either working in partnership with or a bit more hands off. Studios like Retro, Intelligent Systems, Monolith Soft etc. Those sort of partnerships generally produce the vast bulk of releases. Upto around 20/year. We know of about 10 so far and most of them are for this year.

So either Nintendo are sitting on their hands or there's a lot of content sitting on the shelf. And if they're doing the later? I think it's fair to assume that they're saving it for NX.

Edited on by skywake

Grandpa_Pixel

skywake wrote:

When talking about what upcoming games mean for NX you should remember who's developing them. Here's a list of known Nintendo games coming out in the next year. For clarity I've put ones that are being developed by Nintendo themselves in bold:

Pikmin: Monolith Soft & 1-UP Studio
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World: Good-Feel
Pokemon Sun/Moon: Game Freak
Mario Sports Superstars: Camelot & Bandai Namco
Mario Party Star Rush: ND CUBE
Ever Oasis: Grezzo
Super Mario Maker 3DS: Nintendo
Paper Mario Color Splash: Intelligent Systems
Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Nintendo

I'm pretty sure that's it. Only two of them are actually being made by Nintendo themselves internally. One is a port and the other one is confirmed to be coming to the NX. Typically Nintendo develop around 5 games a year internally. Some years a bit less, others a bit more. So far we know of 2-ish for the next year.

We also know that Nintendo typically has quite an amount of other content from second party studios. Either working in partnership with or a bit more hands off. Studios like Retro, Intelligent Systems, Monolith Soft etc. Those sort of partnerships generally produce the vast bulk of releases. Upto around 20/year. We know of about 10 so far and most of them are for this year.

So either Nintendo are sitting on their hands or there's a lot of content sitting on the shelf. And if they're doing the later? I think it's fair to assume that they're saving it for NX.

Skywake is spot on. Nintendo tends to develop a few games internally and then get second-party/third-party developers to work on the rest. And not surprisingly this is where the lack of consistent quality people rant about comes in. A lot of the internal games tend to be absolute gems and instant classics. (Not to say externally developed ones aren't either)

I do believe however the number of internally developed games will increase overtime if Nintendo does make a hybrid platform. Not just because they are focusing on one platform but it also fastens the game developer learning curve. Which in time will improve the quality of their titles.

And is Pikmin really being developed by Monolith?

Grandpa_Pixel

Octane

@Grandpa_Pixel Monolith is probably working on anothet Middle Earth game

If you mean Pikmin 3DS? No, Arzest is working on that.

Octane

skywake

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

And is Pikmin really being developed by Monolith?

I unashamedly got parts of that list from Wiki. And since I posted the article has been edited to remove any mention of who's developing it. So buckets of salt for that one. It's almost surely not them developing Pikmin 3DS. I'm pretty damn sure the other ones are correct though, a few I got from the Australian game classification database.

Anyways, the point remains. We don't know much about what Nintendo themselves are currently working on. Most of the upcoming releases are from second party devs. And it's a very small output.

Edited on by skywake

erv

I think they are working on that "continuous stream of quality content" Iwata mentioned to be available for the future systems. To get in that flow, you definitely need to ramp up a start. Current lack of content is probably just that.

I wonder however, if there really is news on pikmin 4, assuming that the 3ds version is not what myamoto meant?

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

MarcelRguez

@erv I think we can safely assume that they are different games. I don't see anyone but the former EAD team headed by Miyamoto handling a mainline entry in the series. Besides, the Pikmin series has a very straightforward naming convention. Were this Pikmin 4, it would have been introduced as such, not as "Pikmin (tentative title)"

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

dtjive

erv wrote:

I think they are working on that "continuous stream of quality content" Iwata mentioned to be available for the future systems. To get in that flow, you definitely need to ramp up a start. Current lack of content is probably just that.

I wonder however, if there really is news on pikmin 4, assuming that the 3ds version is not what myamoto meant?

Agreed. For them to achieve this they don't need to just have the launch titles ready, but need to be far in development for late 2017 and some 2018 games too. Then they just need to continue staying ahead. For them to achieve that though was likely to mean a drought of games in the short-term, or cheap ports of existing games. Sounds slightly familiar to the position the Wii U is in (only one major game left, got TP and WW HD instead of a brand new Zelda), and the 3DS (Mario Maker, Yoshi Wooly World, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Sports Superstars which is a just rehash of old games).

I'm expecting that Nintendo will blow us away with what they have in store for games in 2017 and probably already have a couple of great games in development for 2018.

dtjive

Grumblevolcano

I honestly think in the end Nintendo will disappoint. The NX rumours have been going on for nearly 18 months now and hype seems to be completely deflated.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grandpa_Pixel

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I honestly think in the end Nintendo will disappoint. The NX rumours have been going on for nearly 18 months now and hype seems to be completely deflated.

We always do this though. I remember back in the times of the Gamecube, the Wii, the DS and what not. It's business as usual

Grandpa_Pixel

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I think Nintendo will disappoint because everything that's been said by them about how they don't want others to steal their ideas, and how they keep it so secret and yet the rumours seem to show something that really isn't that innovative as Nintendo seems to think.

Also a lot of people have been wanting a Wii U replacement and the NX doesn't seem to be "it". There's a lot of hatred between those who own their home console and those who own the handheld, at least that's how it seems to me when looking at comments.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

Well here's some very negative rumours on the NX front. Apparently Sony is going to release the NEO this week.

Grumblevolcano

MarcelRguez

@Grumblevolcano The slim, maybe. There's no way they plan to release the Neo without even introducing it to the public. I know they have a conference this Wednesday, but I can't see them going for the "AVAILABLE NOW" option when they can use the November Christmas push to promote that AND PSVR at the same time.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic