Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 69,964

DefHalan

Does anyone else think the rumored screen size is just too big? 6.2 inches, that is the size of the GamePad screen. I can't put the GamePad in my pocket, how am I supposed to use it as a portable?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

cwong15

A 6 in screen brings this hypothetical portable in line with many 6in phablet style phones on the market, and is still smaller than most mini tablets out there, so I wouldn't call this size out of line. In fact, I bet people would be disappointed if a HD gaming device came with a smaller screen. The reason why the gamepad feels huge is that it was never meant to be portable. You have all that unnecessary plastic sticking out, partly to make it easier to grip. Nintendo would have to design a portable differently. For example, those rumored detachable controllers might fold out of the way when traveling.

cwong15

DefHalan

@cwong15 the gamepad also has a lot less technology in it, which means the NX can't be much smaller with the amount of power we are talking about. The 3DS XL has almost a 5 inch screen, a size I think is about the biggest they should go for a portable machine. How are people supposed to fit the NX in their pockets?

cwong15

@DefHalan Looking at the 3DS XL upper section, I think they could fit a 6in screen in there and still keep the same size. There is so much wasted space there in terms of empty plastic. What if they kept the clamshell design with the controls in the lower section, like the Nvidia Shield?

Edited on by cwong15

cwong15

IceClimbers

@AlternateButtons The 6th of September? Yeah that's definitely not happening. That's in 3 days haha. Nintendo's not that crazy.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DefHalan

@cwong15 I don't know. I am also looking at the New 3DS XL and there isn't space. The Speakers are in a good position, unlike on smart phones. The New 3DS XL is about how big I want a system in my pocket, any bigger and it will be getting in the way. There might be enough space to increase the screen to 5 inches, but not enough for a 6.2 inch screen.

DefHalan

@TomJ Interesting, can only hope it is correct lol

Haruki_NLI

@TomJ Now PE mentions it...these constant rumours have been cropping up after that initial one everyone forgot regarding AMD and such.

Here's my things on this.

1) Why would Nintendo make something with Wiimote like concepts after stating repeatedly that they move away from that?
2) Why would it be Nvidia tech if Nvidia reported a drop in licenses for their tech, no new design wins and the removal of Tegra from gaming, in addition to pulling Shield 2, likely because of removing Tegra to more service based areas of development like AI? They wouldn't flat out lie to the investors that keep them in value.
3) 720p touchscreen at 6.2 inches seems plausible, and pretty neat, but at the same time...that's power hungry.
4) That Direct just happened. Here comes the next year and a half, maybe more, of 3DS contant including ports and brand new titles not previously shown. Sure sounds like NX will be a handheld while THAT happens huh? When does Nintendo ever support a system before the successor lands? I cant recall it. Unless this really is a third pillar at which point...its more like second pillar now...I don't think they'll want 2 handhelds on market, as that muddies the message.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TromboneGamer

@TomJ Yeah I have far less reason to believe some random comment in comparison to the recent rumors that have MULTIPLE sources confirming the same thing. Though it would be incredibly interesting if Nintendo managed to fool everyone with grand journalistic espionage, but that is currently the least likely scenario.

My Twitch

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9902-3413 | Nintendo Network ID: TromboneGamer | Twitter:

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

@cwong15 the gamepad also has a lot less technology in it, which means the NX can't be much smaller with the amount of power we are talking about. The 3DS XL has almost a 5 inch screen, a size I think is about the biggest they should go for a portable machine. How are people supposed to fit the NX in their pockets?

Maybe you shouldn't be comparing it to Nintendo products then. The New 3DS XL doesn't have much more tech in it than the smaller model. And the Wii U GamePad is mostly empty space inside. There's also the fact that smartphones exist that have more tech than the NX is likely to have ignoring the relatively high end mobile GPU.

It's also worth noting that the 3DS XL has a 5" screen. This is rumoured to have a 6" screen right? So if you were to imagine how big this thing might be I'd use this comparison. It will probably be about as big as the 3DS XL closed. Without the controllers attached. And a bit wider when the controller sections are attached. Probably just a little bit too big to pocket but still small enough to be portable.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@TomJ Player Essence isn't reliable.

@BLPs Nvidia didn't announce the removal of Tegra from gaming. In fact, gaming applications were mentioned at Hot Chips.

Also, the GBA and DS both coexisted with their successors for the first couple of years. The Direct meant absolutely nothing in regards to what NX is.

Also, the 720p screen isn't that power consuming at all.

Before you bring him up, SMD isn't reliable. He got lucky once with the 3DS lineup leak and then screwed it up by revealing too much and then ratting out his source to Nintendo. Nobody with inside info would go anywhere near him now.

Edited on by IceClimbers

TuVictus

That comment on that blog sounds more like a salty fan boy than anyone with actual insider knowledge. Especially with the personal insults and "it'll be an amazing gaming revolution" nonsense.

TuVictus

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't be comparing it to Nintendo products then. The New 3DS XL doesn't have much more tech in it than the smaller model. And the Wii U GamePad is mostly empty space inside. There's also the fact that smartphones exist that have more tech than the NX is likely to have ignoring the relatively high end mobile GPU.

It's also worth noting that the 3DS XL has a 5" screen. This is rumoured to have a 6" screen right? So if you were to imagine how big this thing might be I'd use this comparison. It will probably be about as big as the 3DS XL closed. Without the controllers attached. And a bit wider when the controller sections are attached. Probably just a little bit too big to pocket but still small enough to be portable.

If you can't pocket it, then it isn't really that portable. Also, why wouldn't you want to bring the controllers? That is going to limit what you can play to touch only games. That is quiet the limitation. Smart Phones are not designed to last very long, I really hope Nintendo doesn't follow Smart Phone's designs and make a compact machine that won't last long. This just keeps sounding worst and worst

IceClimbers

@DefHalan That's not true. Plenty of people carry around tablets, laptops and even their 3DS and Vita in bags all the time. It not being pocketable doesn't mean it's not portable.

The New 3DS XL isn't exactly the most pocketable thing for that matter.

DefHalan

@IceClimbers the 3DS XL can be pocketed. I have my New 3DS XL with me all the time. I do not have my tablet or laptop with me all the time, because they aren't as portable. I didn't say the NX wouldn't be portable (heck some people use their Wii U portablely) I said it wouldn't be that portable. As in it wouldn't be portable in the sense of, put it in a pocket and take it out when I can. The machine becomes far less portable if you can't put it in your pocket

MarcelRguez

IceClimbers wrote:

Also, the GBA and DS both coexisted with their successors for the first couple of years. The Direct meant absolutely nothing in regards to what NX is.

Exactly the point of my last post. That 3DS direct was probably made with the intention of getting any 3DS news out of the way before the NX arrives.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

GrailUK

@TomJ PE is an e-begger, can't even be bothered to talk about him. As for that post, it sounds far too juvenile to come out of a solicitors office. Soooo...nah.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Therad

BLPs wrote:

@TomJ Now PE mentions it...these constant rumours have been cropping up after that initial one everyone forgot regarding AMD and such.

Here's my things on this.

1) Why would Nintendo make something with Wiimote like concepts after stating repeatedly that they move away from that?
2) Why would it be Nvidia tech if Nvidia reported a drop in licenses for their tech, no new design wins and the removal of Tegra from gaming, in addition to pulling Shield 2, likely because of removing Tegra to more service based areas of development like AI? They wouldn't flat out lie to the investors that keep them in value.
3) 720p touchscreen at 6.2 inches seems plausible, and pretty neat, but at the same time...that's power hungry.
4) That Direct just happened. Here comes the next year and a half, maybe more, of 3DS contant including ports and brand new titles not previously shown. Sure sounds like NX will be a handheld while THAT happens huh? When does Nintendo ever support a system before the successor lands? I cant recall it. Unless this really is a third pillar at which point...its more like second pillar now...I don't think they'll want 2 handhelds on market, as that muddies the message.

1) they have stated they move away from the Wii brand, not motion control.
2) Where have they lied for their investors?
3)Writing this on a portable device with a 5 inch 1080p screen. The screen isn't a problem.
4) Nintendo is a business and they want to make maximize their profits in the important holiday season. So of course they market games that are on it's way. What do you propose? They abandon their 60m user base to make money from their 10m base? Does that sound like smart business sense?

And I wouldn't trust player essence. Eurogamer is reliable, they have done what journalists do and verify their tip with other sources. And not only that, it has been verified by media outlets.

Therad

skywake

BLPs wrote:

720p touchscreen at 6.2 inches seems plausible, and pretty neat, but at the same time...that's power hungry.

In terms of battery life? Maybe. Though with a screen that size it also means that they have more space to include a larger battery. So it's not that big an issue.

In terms of driving the display? Well, if anything 720p is a bit conservative. Here is how the NX, as rumoured, sits on a graph of screen resolution vs power. In comparison to previous consoles.
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haruki_NLI

@IceClimbers Why would I bring up SMD? Genuine question here.

@Therad They dropped their 100mil user Base for wii u sharpish I know that. Wouldn't shock me to see them cock that up again let's be honest. Hey if your 1080 phone and or tablet can last for a while congrats. Going on personal experience here the moment I start gaming on mine that battery is like a faucet.

It has been verified by other media outlets? Okay I'm gonna explain and this is in no way a personal attack just my view on this scenario.

Just because a site says they talked to other sources separate from another site and got similar of not identical info doesn't mean they actually did. Let's take Nintendo life sister site: euro gamer. They talked to sources too. If anything I'd anticipate the same sources. Why? Same company same contacts firstly.
Secondly because for obvious reasons I like to call idiots risking losing their jobs by leaking stuff, no source can be named. So we have no verification, on who said what, could be a damn intern, and it could just be the same damn person for all we know. Trusted source, sadly, means nothing. Trust is based on reputation and sadly in any walk of life you can't throw me into a room with a doctor or accountant or guy who's gonna watch my house on holiday that I've never met before and know nothing about because their behind a screen. There is no trust. There is nothing to basensure trust on. It's the same with that comment I put weight behind because why the hell not I can trust him equally to how I trust these alleged sources.

These news sites unfortunately in my eyes without names and concrete proof are basically spouting stuff and saying it's true because they said so. Sources? Pfft. No name and face? Might as well be one of those HAM radio ghosts then. There is nothing tangible or knownot for us to belive these reports on and that's my biggest gripe. Just because you have trusted sources and all that jazz doesn't mean anything to someone who isn't you.

And like I have said before if any if this was true and I was Nintendo I'd use that famed legal action on these little named reporters and work my way back to whoever was stupid enough to break NDAS and wring their necks. But that's just me.

On a note regarding Nintendo saying the marketing of wii u was a problem and the idea wasn't conveyed, all my friends back then knew it was a game console separate from wii and what it did. They just didn't give a toss. Moved on to pc and ps/Xbox. Played the kiddy card and all that. Over 30 years of gaming and a stigma has built up. Gotta break that down too.

Honestly if any of these nx rumours are true for whatever reason I forsee that £1300 potato of a pc getting more gaming use after all...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic