Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 69,952

DefHalan

@Grandpa_Pixel Yes but we also need hardware designed for the current market. Offer fantastic titles with NES Controller and Atari 2600 graphics, most people won't be interested

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grandpa_Pixel

Well yeh but that's picking at the fine points of what I said. My point was no matter how good the hardware, it means nothing if all there is are worthless titles. This is why I don't believe VR will take off just yet. It is close though

Edited on by Grandpa_Pixel

Grandpa_Pixel

DefHalan

@Grandpa_Pixel I agree but hardware is still an important topic, especially when it comes down to the type of software it will be able to run.

IceClimbers

Support for Unreal Engine 4 is probably the most important thing there.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

dtjive

DefHalan wrote:

@Grandpa_Pixel Yes but we also need hardware designed for the current market. Offer fantastic titles with NES Controller and Atari 2600 graphics, most people won't be interested

Well yes, but you sort of miss the point by giving such an extreme example.

The graphics/resolution on this device sound respectable, but not industry-leading. If it's got great games and a decent number of them (as Grandpa said), then I don't think many people will lose their poop over it being behind in power of the XBox/PS4.

The Wii U imo didn't fail because it was underpowered. It failed because there was little of note on the system. No brand new Zelda, no proper 3D Mario (3D World doesn't count imo), no Metroid. I think it would have fared a lot better if it had a more steady supply of games and offered the major titles people really wanted. Seems like the NX is attempting to resolve both those issues and I expect it'll fare reasonably well.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

dtjive

DefHalan

@dtjive No matter how great software is, if the hardware isn't at an acceptable level (not just talking about power) then people won't buy the system. The current NX rumors sound like the hardware design and functionality will be getting in the way of a lot of people's enjoyment. We have to wait and see, but there has been this notion that if the NX launches with Zelda, like the Wii did, then it will sell amazingly well.

I don't see Nintendo being able to support a system more powerful than the Wii U (which is how powerful most people are saying it is) much better than how they supported the Wii U. The normal reply is they merged their portable and home software developers to increase output, but we haven't seen any increased output yet and that happened a while ago. Also the NX is going to be more powerful, which will mean development will take even more. We have already seen the NX delayed because of Software, do we really expect Nintendo, without 3rd Party support, to be able to release multiple games a month, both small and large games, without long droughts?

DefHalan

AlternateButtons wrote:

The portable screen is 720p and that's great, but when docked to the TV will it be 1080p?

That will depend on the game, most likely the machine will support outputting 1080p resolution, even if most games don't support that resolution.

AlternateButtons wrote:

32 gigs of memory SUCKS. Hope that's not true. Perhaps the fact that the games are on cartridges may explain that since they can hold a lot of data.

I assume there will be expandable memory options but can that work when the portable is undocked?

Probably SD cards but with larger games than stardard Wii U games (Smash Bros 4 is 13 GB on Wii U) it is really low and cheap SD cards won't help much. Having a external hard drive at home that you have to transfer games to and from before you leave sounds very clunky.

AlternateButtons wrote:

The battery life needs to be 6 hours at the very least. I'm worried the whole portable aspect will be lost if the battery life is too low. Maybe we'll have the option for upgradeable battery packs?

3DS and the Wii U GamePad are about 3 hours. I wouldn't expect the NX to last much longer than that. I would hope it would, but I wouldn't expect it.

AlternateButtons wrote:

And lastly, will this be a console that third parties can and will support?

Not 3rd Parties that aren't already supporting Nintendo. The "western" developers aren't going to be interested because of its low power. Maybe Nintendo could give them money for ports, like Nvidia does for Shield ports, but I don't see that helping in the long run.

MarcelRguez

skywake wrote:

With the amount of power they are pushing for and how hard they're likely to hammer it? A small fan is very likely. And if they have to have a fan there'll probably a v2 of this thing that can do away with it.

No, I mean... It makes sense that a cooling fan is needed, but the concept doesn't strike me as something Nintendo would do. I'd guess that they wouldn't bother with this idea if they couldn't manage to reach the level of performance they'd like without overheating issues. That was just a weird thought I had, anyway.

@Grumblevolcano Exactly what I mean. I guess I just don't associate Nintendo with noisy hardware.

Octane wrote:

I think (and hope) that they have plenty of new games ready at this point.

There will be ports, as it has been the case with most systems ever released, but there's no way they won't have a substantial amount of first-party titles ready for March. Wii U hasn't seen a first-party developed game since... Star Fox Zero? All other teams have been quiet since way before that, the most obvious example being Retro. I wouldn't worry too much about the launch window, especially if the NX turns out to be what these rumors claim.

DefHalan wrote:

So if you do play in portrait mode, instead of the buttons on top and bottom, you could connect them to the sides?

Keep in mind that these leaks don't support that. The controllers seem to only attach to the device's sides. It would be a pretty neat possibility, though.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

kobashi100

@FragRed which is why I said on here weeks ago that the NX is not a hybrid. It is a handheld which simply allows TV out. People speculating that the Wii U dock would have extra power were just hoping for that.

kobashi100

kobashi100

@AlternateButtons considering it is a handheld and western third parties stopped supporting handheld gaming years ago I would suggest you keeps expectations low.

The NX will gets lots of Japanese 3rd party support though without a doubt

kobashi100

MarcelRguez

@kobashi100 That's what I'm hoping for. I can't care less about Western support on a handheld, I don't remember the last title I enjoyed on my 3DS that didn't come straight out of Japan. As long as the larger Japanese devs support it, I'm game. We know Koei, Square and Sega are on board, hopefully Namco too.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

This rumour mill has just knocked me into overdoing my purchases on a PC and going for a top end system, because then I can work and play all the games, as right now, the way these rumours are popping up more and more I'm less disappointed and more...meh. Its hard to explain.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

rallydefault

BLPs wrote:

This rumour mill has just knocked me into overdoing my purchases on a PC and going for a top end system, because then I can work and play all the games, as right now, the way these rumours are popping up more and more I'm less disappointed and more...meh. Its hard to explain.

I kinda/sorta feel the same way, but I just keep reminding myself that we're still just looking at leaked stuff and possibilities. I'm going to stay in autopilot until Nintendo comes out and actually tells us about their own system - I don't think anyone else can do as good a job at describing it fully (gosh I hope not lol).

rallydefault

TuVictus

Well if the Wii U is any indication, they are not good at communicating the ideas of their consoles to people, lol.

TuVictus

dilloncouchca

I have an amazing theory about the NX. If it isn't true, I really wish it would be. So here it is:
(This is going to sound like the common rumors at first, but bear with me.)

Nintendo has by this point, if not all along, given up the idea that its late CEO seemed to indicate: two devices, one console and one handheld, but with the same games. They have instead made a hybrid handheld/console that is primarily a console. It's a tablet-like device with detachable controllers on the sides. When at home, it connects wirelessly to a box that will allow better/faster operation, better resolution, and amazingly smooth multiplayer (this is supported by Nintendo patents, just like many more details in this theory). You first buy the NX with the box hub and a tablet device (from now on referred to as "screen(s)"), but then you purchase additional screens if you want. When you take your screens on the go, gameplay is not as impressive as at home; the screens will have only okay graphics capability and may be slower. When wirelessly connected to the home hub, you can use your TV (also connected, with a cord, to the hub) as the main screen and it'll have great speed, graphics performance, resolution, etc., rivaling the PS4 and XB1, and the screen will be used in a way similar to the way the Wii U Pad is when the Wii U is played on a TV. You'll want to have your detachable controllers hooked up most of the time, especially at home, but there will be some app-like games where this is optional (Pokémon Go?!). There may also be a way to just buy extra detachable controllers and use only those during multiplayer mode, one in each hand and the infared signals being received by the hub box instead of the screen (see patents). Your friends can also bring their NX screens to your house to play multiplayer on your hub.

And here's where it gets really good: As anyone can tell based on recent news of new 3DS games, the 3DS isn't being phased out. The 3DS will remain the primary handheld. And the NX WILL use game cards, not discs. But it will also be "backwards" compatible with 3DS games. They will go into the same game slot, which will probably be on the NX screen. Although, Nintendo could opt for a second game card slot on the hub box for multiplayer; however this is unlikely. To continue with the current trend, many more Wii U games will be released for 3DS, such as Mario Kart 8. Popular/favorite games from the original Wii will be available digitally in the NX e-Shop. These will be compatible with old Wii Motion Plus controllers as well as the NX detachables.

Like I said, current and forthcoming 3DS games will be compatible with the NX. If you want to play them on the NX screen, both 3DS screen areas will appear against a black background, the bottom one responsive to touch (& stylus?) and the top one controlled by the detachable controllers. It'll be a lot like a 2DS, so think of it that way if it helps. Now if you want to play 3DS games on the TV screen, the top screen will be visible only on the TV screen and the bottom screen will be visible only on the NX screen. You can touch the bottom one still, and the top one is still controlled by the detachable controllers. Regular Nintendo DS games may even be supported!

The reason for all this is that Nintendo still wants to keep a dedicated handheld (for the portability factor, at least) and doesn't want to leave the customers who love 3D in the dark. 3DS games will continue to be made and the 3DS will continue to be supported. 3DS games will help the NX get popular even before it has a ton of dedicated games, but there will be no shortage of these, either. Some NX titles will also be released for 3DS, but NX games will have a slightly higher price point of about $60 due to their premium quality and better functionality on the NX. (The people who buy, say Pokémon Lava or something for the 3DS just to save money on the NX version will have the cost of lower quality and that split-screen-ish feature that will probably get slightly annoying.)

Thus, Nintendo's late CEO's idea of games made for both console and handheld has evolved nicely to include the 3DS and not make people choose between a handheld NX and a console NX.

dilloncouchca

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault I'm at the point where it's best just to look as far as the current gen games I'm looking forward to. For Wii U that is FAST Racing NEO DLC, Color Splash and VC. For 3DS that is Federation Force (bought today), ALBW pack, Sun/Moon, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

dilloncouchca

I hear you. I don't have a Wii U but I'm looking forward to upcoming 3DS games. Top on my list are Mario Maker and Pokemon Sun/Moon.

dilloncouchca

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano I'm just looking at getting Federation Force when my wages come in, getting Moon for myself, Sun for my girlfriend, NES Mini in November and Paper Mario obviously. As well as my PC with the i7 and GTX970 + 16GB RAM and 256GB of SSD sweet speedy space. XD I'm such a dork.

@rallydefault I really hope they can explain it. I can read between lines, hence I don't cut any company any slack and I can be gifted with foresight to seemingly predict Sony BS a mile away, so the reveal doesn't worry me, but it does concern me that the concept will be undersold. Or oversold. Or overshadowed. Over over over. I should stress this PC I'm spending well over £1000 on isn't for gaming. It's recording, uploading and editing YouTube stuff, and the actual process of making games, both commercially and for university (Screw CryENGINE, like...really.)

I guess that counts as gaming. I'm doing it mainly because A) I can, and B) To finally get my housemates to shut up about me not being part of the master race, so I'm getting a superior build to all of them (As I found out today), out of the box without needing to build. And then Ill just be as always, ill just have a rather future proofed system to work on for a few years, and play games as I always have.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

@skywake back to the portrait screen, do you think there will be a way to change controller spots. So if you do play in portrait mode, instead of the buttons on top and bottom, you could connect them to the sides? That is 1 reason i could see for detachable controllers. Not a great reason but a reason

I can see it being a thing. It would also resolve a lot of the issues that the 3DS and DS have had since the start. On the DS you either had stacked screens with a gap in the middle or you went in book mode with a wide aspect and lost the buttons. On the 3DS it was the same except book mode killed the 3D.

The NX as rumoured thus far? We know so far we have the full wide-aspect "book mode" without a gap in the middle and with full controls. We also have a "vertical" stacked screen mode again without the gap. So the only mode it's missing is the standard DS/3DS vertical mode with full controls.

But, it has a 720p screen which is about 5x the number of pixels as the 3DS. It's ARM based already, it has the right number of buttons, it has the screens. The controller placement is the only thing really stopping full BC and you can remove those controllers. So why not allow you to move them from the sides to the top/bottom for 3DS/DS BC/VC?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CrazyOtto

FINAL NX REVEAL AND SYSTEM PREDICTIONS

• "Gemicom" as the system's final name, Gemi(ni)+(Fam)icom
  • First two Gemicom devices are shown off which are the "Gemicom Portable" and "Gemicom Base"
  • The Gemicom Base's controller is a traditional controller but it'll also be compatible with the Wii Remote which will be rebranded as the "Nintendo Remote"
  • Pikmin 4 is the first game running on Gemicom shown to public
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a comparison shown for both Gemicom and Wii U
  • Gemicom is not backwards compatible due to technical reasons (as much as I would love BC) but the Gemicom gets a "Wii U Hits" line starting with Nintendo Land, Splatoon, and Super Mario Maker
  • Gemicom's "Virtual Console" is renamed "Classics" with NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, DS, Turbografx-16, Sega Genesis/MD, and arcade games being available at launch
  • "Classics" from handhelds will have Download Play at launch and Nintendo Network compatibility is added to DS and Wii games that used Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
  • Pokemon Sun & Moon come to Gemicom along with 3DS and becomes the first cross-gen generation of Pokemon
  • Super Smash Bros. for Gemicom is revealed which is the 3DS and Wii U games combined into one with additional content including Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Inkling
  • The first trailer for "Super Mario Emprise", the new 3D Mario is shown
  • It's release date is in March with every reigon being less than a week apart
  • Third party developers are not forced to optimize their games for both the Gemicom Portable and Gemicom Base but all first party Nintendo games will run on both
  • It'll have the eShop, Mii Maker, Check Mii Out, StreetPass Mii Plaza, Internet Browser, Netflix, Multimedia Hub, Nintendo Badge Arcade, Pokemon Bank, and Flipnote Studio at launch
  • "Missions" become the Gemicom's equivalent to "Achievements" and "Trophies"
  • A Gemicom VR headset is revealed and will launch later in 2017

GEMICOM GAME PREDICTIONS

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (launch day)
  • Pikmin 4 (launch day)
  • Wii U Hits: Nintendo Land (launch day)
  • Wii U Hits: Splatoon (launch day)
  • Wii U Hits: Super Mario Maker (launch day)
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (launch day)
  • Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (launch day)
  • Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (launch day)
  • Just Dance 2017 (launch day)
  • Lego Dimensions (launch day)
  • NBA 2K17 (launch day)
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 (launch day)
  • Skylanders Imaginators (launch day)
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 (launch day)
  • Tank It! (launch day)
  • Tekken 7 (launch day)
  • WWE 2K17 (launch day)
  • Dragon Quest X Online (Japanese launch day)
  • Animal Crossing (working title)
  • Beyond Good and Evil: The Prejudices of Philosophers
  • Bit Boy!! 3 (working title)
  • Cruis'n Adventure
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Dragon Quest IX (remake)
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • Indivisible
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (working title)
  • Mario Sports Superstars (has cross-platform online with the 3DS version)
  • Mech Super eXtended
  • Mighty Switch Force! The Patricia Wagon Collection (Hyper Drive Edition, 2: Hydro Deluxe Edition, and Academy)
  • Minecracft: Gemicom Edition
  • Pac-Man VS Supreme (also includes Pac-Man Battle Royale, 256 and the original Pac-Man)
  • Project CARS
  • Project Sonic 2017 (working title)
  • PUZZLEBOX setup
  • RISE: Race The Future
  • RIVE
  • Riverside
  • Retro Studios Project (working title)
  • Shantae: Three Wishes Collection (Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut, Pirate's Curse, and Half-Genie Hero)
  • Shovel Knight (includes all of content of both the 3DS version and Wii U version)
  • Sonic Mania
  • Steamworld Collection
  • Super Mario Emprise
  • SUPER ROBO MOUSE
  • Super Smash Bros. for Gemicom
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (from Tantalus Media)
  • Terraria
  • Tomodachi Life: Living it Up
  • WarioWare DIYA (the "A" stands for "Again")
  • World to the West

EDIT: Added more predicted games

Edited on by CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic