Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 69,953

Octane

@dtjive The 3DS Pikmin isn't the Pikmin Miyamoto was talking about though. 3DS Pikmin is made by the Yoshi's New Island dev; The Pikmin team from EAD4 is still working on something and they aren't working on this game. I don't expect this (relatively cheap looking) Pikmin game to be a launch title for NX. That's not going to sell the system. A big new entry in the franchise? That has way more chance.

Octane

skywake

Octane wrote:

I don't expect this (relatively cheap looking) Pikmin game to be a launch title for NX. That's not going to sell the system. A big new entry in the franchise? That has way more chance.

To be fair if you look at the trailer the game looks like it would work pretty well on the NX as rumoured. It runs across both screens on the 3DS at once and is entirely touch controlled. It's basically a phone game really. And if you take that rumoured NX layout and remove the controller attachments? It's much closer to an ideal setup for that sort of game than the 3DS is.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

nx being whats rumored couod also explain lack of devkits. they probably dont expect anyone outsode their japanese and indie friends to really bother in the long run.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

SLIGEACH_EIRE

RUMOR - OVERVIEW OF NX BASIC FEATURES

This rumor comes to us from Emily Rogers. In this snippet from an article she posted, Emily talks about the various elements of the NX...

Here is what you can expect from the final retail product:
Custom Nvidia GPU chip
Region Free (No region lock) <– Confirmed this.
Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Heard nothing about a stylus)
The touchscreen has 720p resolution. <— 100% Confirmed.
32GB of built-in internal storage
SD card support
Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0
The dock has two 2.0 usb ports and one 3.0 usb port.
The device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness.
The right analogue stick will be below the face buttons.
Camera and microphone are not built into the NX portable device.
Cooling is still a little noisy
Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology) <– Everything Laura Kate Dale said in her article was correct.
Share / Social button that Laura Kate Dale posted is true.
There are at least two shoulder buttons. I haven’t heard anything yet about triggers.
Battery Life — Ehhh not great. I haven’t heard an exact number of hours, but it doesn’t sound great.
Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power.
Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-shou...

http://gonintendo.com/stories/264370-rumor-overview-of-nx-bas...

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Grandpa_Pixel

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

RUMOR - OVERVIEW OF NX BASIC FEATURES

This rumor comes to us from Emily Rogers. In this snippet from an article she posted, Emily talks about the various elements of the NX...

Well let's have a look!

GPU Chip - No way to actually tell until someone cracks open an NX
Region Free - I really hope that is true. Even if E.Rogers source is bogus, I want it to be true
6 inch 720p Touchscreen - With Nintendo's success with touchscreen, I wouldn't even try to confirm and just make an assumption
32GB of built-in internal storage - Not sure about that one honestly. Seems a little low. 64GB would be more likely.
SD card support - Given how the 3DS and Wii U already has support, I'd say that is a given
Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0 - Yup, I'd believe that.
The dock has two 2.0 usb ports and one 3.0 usb port. - Not sure about the 3.0 but definitely the 2.0
The device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness. - Not sure about that one to be honest. It depends on what they mean by that
The right analogue stick will be below the face buttons. - While I can't believe the right analogue stick is below the face buttons I'd take the right analogue stick itself with grains of sugar
Camera and microphone are not built into the NX portable device. - I wouldn't believe that one. Personally if it is handheld capable you try to keep those things in the handheld. Especially as the DS line has had camera and microphone capabilities for a long while. I could believe an optional accessory for the home console experience.
Cooling is still a little noisy - Most consoles are noisy. The only reason the handhelds are not is because it contains witchscraft.
Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology) - Not sure. It all depends if the hybrid is true.
Share / Social button - This is the one I have the most trouble believing. While I can believe Nintendo would want to have a social feature upgrade, I can not see them producing an extra button just for it. Even to this day Nintendo try to keep buttons as few as possible.
There are at least two shoulder buttons. - Yup that's a standard for Nintendo. Believable.
Battery Life — Prototypes tend not to have long battery lives. Pretty sure they will either fix that or sell a powerful battery pack.
Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power. - If it is a hybrid I wouldn't have thought otherwise.
Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine. - I'd bloody well hope so!

The one thing I have against this "Rumour" is that it is all too believable. It's safe assumptions. It was like I stated "amiibos will be for NX". It was so obvious the NX would support amiibo given how Nintendo has had huge success. Trust me, I want the NX hybrid to be real. I have been wanting it before everyone else wanted it. The problem is a lot of the rumours I have seen have played their claims too safe. Tell me there's a Galaxy 3! Tell me that it will have a new F-Zero.

Stuff like "has 2 USB ports" or "There will be a Mario game at launch" are like saying the sky is blue. But like many I really really hope the NX hybrid is true. It would be the best move for Nintendo

Edited on by Grandpa_Pixel

Grandpa_Pixel

MarcelRguez

Sounds good to me. My only fears are battery life and the lack of triggers. I have a little bit of trouble believing the Share button part too. And what's with that "cooling is still a little noisy" part? Did they slap a fan into the thing?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez They learned from Sony by playing Uncharted 4 on a normal PS4

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

That list seems pretty believable, there isn't much in there I'd question TBH. I'm still not sure how exactly the detachable controllers would work but other than that.

MarcelRguez wrote:

And what's with that "cooling is still a little noisy" part? Did they slap a fan into the thing?

With the amount of power they are pushing for and how hard they're likely to hammer it? A small fan is very likely. And if they have to have a fan there'll probably a v2 of this thing that can do away with it.

Octane

@skywake The screen turned sideways you mean? I could see it work.. I just don't think they will bother. I don't see it as a system seller and they need to ''remaster'' this game to look acceptable on NX. Compare this to BOTW. Pikmin 4 should be done by now; and that has more chance to appear as a launch title on NX.

Octane

skywake

@Octane
Yes and yes. I meant in portrait mode I can see a game like that working really well. Visuals asside I think that game would work better on a tablet device than the 3DS. The NX as it is will be coming back strong with the old vertical screen and "book mode" style Nintendo games. And I also agree that we'll see a brand new Pikmin game on NX. I'm just not sure whether it'll be instead of or ontop o this 2D Pikmin.

Edited on by skywake

FragRed

So does this mean that aside from having USB and the ability to play games on the home TV, it doesn't do anything else?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@skywake I mean, I'd take two Pikmin games for launch (or launch window); in the event that they're padding out the launch games with ports; but I think (and hope) that they have plenty of new games ready at this point. We'll see though. I think that it's unlikely; however, I do agree that a game like this is better suited for a tablet or mobile.

Octane

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I dunno, need to see it but it doesn't sound great. Seems like they're cutting corners again in order to keep the price down and that worked out well for the Wii U, didn't it?

32GB's is a scandalously tiny amount of memory. Again, adding another expense onto the consumer.

USB 3.0 should be standard, 2.0 is useless. Ask anyone with a self powered hard drive on Wii U.

Camera and microphone not built into main unit sounds like a poor decision.

Controllers sound compromised.

Battery life is poor.

Weaker than PS4 and XB1 means it'll miss out on games, and it'll be dismissed be some potential consumers. If it's a hybrid, the compromise is understandable but it'll cause problems.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

skywake

FragRed wrote:

So does this mean that aside from having USB and the ability to play games on the home TV, it doesn't do anything else?

What did you expect the dock to do? USB ports for expansion give you access to peripherals and other devices. Ethernet adaptors, different controllers, storage. HDMI connects it to the TV. Everything else can be done on the unit itself.

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

USB 3.0 should be standard, 2.0 is useless. Ask anyone with a self powered hard drive on Wii U.

USB 2.0 isn't the reason why you need powered HDDs on the Wii U. Not exactly anyways. And anyways, if you read the list you'd notice that it says it has 1 USB 3.0 port. Presumably that's there for storage because nothing else you're going to connect to it will come close to using that much bandwidth. So it's a moot point.

Edited on by skywake

FragRed

@skywake It just seems pointless to have a docking station if that is all it does. Would be able to reduce the cost and price of the system if they had the HMDI in the device itself.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

FragRed wrote:

It just seems pointless to have a docking station if that is all it does. Would be able to reduce the cost and price of the system if they had the HMDI in the device itself.

Then you're ignoring the fact that the dock also has other ports. Also how messy connecting and disconnecting this thing to your TV will be if you have to connect power, HDD, network, controllers, HDMI. How often would you connect your 3DS to your TV if it had as many things connected to it as your Wii U currently does. Much easier if it's a single connector that breaks out into other connectors via a dock. I think the reason this exists explains itself.

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

@skywake back to the portrait screen, do you think there will be a way to change controller spots. So if you do play in portrait mode, instead of the buttons on top and bottom, you could connect them to the sides? That is 1 reason i could see for detachable controllers. Not a great reason but a reason

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grandpa_Pixel

To be fair, none of this matters if they have killer titles throughout the first year. You think about the consoles Nintendo has sold over the years. Only in this decade have we got consoles that are comfortable to hold or look sexy or even run good looking 3D games.

Remember there was a time when 8-bit and blocky controllers were all we had. But it didn't matter as long as we had Super Mario and Duck Hunt.

Grandpa_Pixel

DefHalan

@Grandpa_Pixel People expect more from consoles now.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grandpa_Pixel

@DefHalan Not really. I listen to a lot of people both here, there and everywhere. Offline and online. At the end of the day they want only one thing as a collective agreement. Killer titles.

Grandpa_Pixel

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic