Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,241 to 3,260 of 69,954

skywake

DjLewe78 wrote:

The only info we need is the game reviews, whats in the machine neither here nor there.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't talking about the hardware. I was just saying that speculation exists to fill the gaps in official information. It has always existed. It's just more focused these days because there's so much more information from more reliable sources. Which is a good thing. Because only finding out that a new console/game existed when you walked into a shop? That wasn't good for consumers or business.

dtjive wrote:

I said it before, but I think that Nintendo are concerned that the NX will kill any future 3DS software purchases. Personally, I believe that the 3DS direct confirms that they are still trying hard to push the final games that they have for it and won't be speaking about the NX until after Pokemon Sun/Moon is released.

They're clearing the decks that's for sure. They want to make sure they have people watching the last direct about the 3DS. But I don't think it means anything for the timing of the NX announcement. If they announced the NX first and then did a 3DS direct? Nobody would watch the 3DS direct.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

@skywake

I think that's a possibility for sure, but I think it's more likely that they're looking to pass all major releases before announcing the NX. In fact, the whole idea of Sun/Moon coming to the 3DS at the end of its life seems pretty weird. Surely it'd have made sense to have gone for a ZeldaU/NX type scenario to avoid this?

dtjive

skywake

@dtjive
Pokemon Black & White came out alongside the 3DS with Black & White 2 coming well after. A similar thing happened with the last of the GBA Pokemon releases with the DS. They did the same thing with Pokemon Crystal when the GBA was out. And the original Pokemon games did the same in the west come to think of it. Crystal was the only "GBC Only" Pokemon game and the ones before it all came out after the GBC.

So as odd as it might seem it's actually a thing that has always happened. Pokemon has always been the last portable game of the generation. Often launching on the previous generation portable alongside and sometimes well after the release of a new platform.

Edited on by skywake

Samurai_Goroh

@skywake Precisely. That happens because Game Freak is independent and Nintendo cannot order them to shift development to a new platform, just because it would be a boon to early console sales. GF makes PKMN games to the Nintendo platforms they care about ( hence only handhelds), when they feel like it ( when they already have sizeable userbases).

Samurai_Goroh

Monkey_Balls

Untitled

It's a talking point I suppose. How much storage do you think the NX will have, and should have? If the rumours about the NX being a portable with detachable wotsits are true then it doesn't seem wise for it to require a further attachment (external storage device). On the other hand Nintendo often forgo things like storage (or plugs) to save on cost so 32 GB wouldn't be a surprise. I'm hoping for an improvement on Wii U at least.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Octane

@Monkey_Balls My phone has more internal storage than that.. It's a portable device, you can't really hook up an external drive to carry around; so they better find some way to be able to increase its storage or transfer files if this is the case. 32GB, even on a portable gaming device is pretty abysmal. Especially if it's supposed to be closer to the XOne than Wii U in terms of horsepower. Games will be bigger than Wii U games too. I hope that this is nothing more than a rumour and in no way representative of the final product.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Monkey_Balls If that rumour is true then NX will only be able to play 1 digital game on the go. I totally expect BotW will be around the same size as XCX or Smash Wii U size at the very least.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

dtjive

32GB imo would be okay but:

1. It should be the budget option. If Nintendo want to keep the price point as low as possible for marketing purposes by skimping on storage then I get that, but they should also offer a more expensive version too. Ideally 64gb (budget) /128gb (premium) would be the sweet spot imo but would find the 32gb one as acceptable too.

2. It should offer an SD slot for expandable storage. Additional storage is pretty cheap nowadays that it should only cost around £20-30 for consumers to satisfy larger storage needs if required.

Personally I don't download games except for a few DLC packs and maybe one or two e-shop old titles. So 32gb would probably be enough for me, but would feel more content having 64gb.

dtjive

FragRed

I don't see the problem with 32GB internal storage. It's a handheld, if you need more storage I'm sure Nintendo will do what they have with the DS & 3DS which is allow for SD cards to boost capacity. Job done.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed But as a hybrid it basically mirrors the Wii U but with better Gamepad graphics so we should be taking into account Wii U file sizes, not 3DS right?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano That's true but realistically how many first party games ever came close to using the full disc capacity on the Wii U? Most didn't even reach 10GB. Third party games may well be a problem but remember we don't know everything yet, I'm hoping Nintendo will have some kinda surprise.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

TuVictus

It just further cements my thoughts that the NX will be a home console replacement first and foremost. Hopefully it's -just- a home console and not the hybrid the rumors are suggesting (personal opinion). For a handheld, any type of built in storage would be great. 32 GB, even. For a home console, that's a pretty embarrassingly small amount of storage space. Especially since Nintendo seems to want people to buy digitally more and more these days.

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed For Nintendo published titles, the games over 10GB:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - ? (this is bound to be huge in size)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - 16.7GB
Xenoblade Chronicles X - 22.9GB
Devil's Third - 15.2GB
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 20.2GB (including updates and DLC, 17.2GB for base game)
Bayonetta - 14.6GB
Bayonetta 2 - 17.5GB
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - 11.3GB
The Wonderful 101 - 12.9GB
Lego City Undercover - 21.0GB

Most of the other games are in the realm of 5-8GB

Grumblevolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Okay well if people need more storage they just have to get a SD card. They're cheap so I don't see the problem.

Octane

@FragRed 128GB costa you about €40; and that holds about 10 Wii U-sized games. It's not extremely expensive, but these are all hidden costs that add up in the end. So when it launches for €250, it's actually €300 if you want a proper storage capacity.

Octane

MarcelRguez

I don't see the problem with 32GB either. The advantages of buying digital are reduced if we take into account that the NX might use cartridges and, as long as there's a way to expand the memory of the system, it's easily solvable. Hardly ideal, but solvable. Besides that, it would hint at Nintendo trying to cut costs on every facet possible. Does that mean that they're aiming for a low price tag? That the console itself is rather expensive to make, so they have to break even in every other department? A combination of both?

@Octane That's an argument you can apply to pretty much everything. Larger, built-in storage capacity would make the console more expensive as well. This allows the consumer to be more flexible about its purchase. If there's no other way to reach, say, the 250 price tag, I'd gladly sacrify storage capacity. It's not like many people don't already have large capacity (micro)SDs anyway.

@Therad @FragRed @skywake I see. With PSVR coming out around that time, it's definitely a possibility. I guess we will see.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

skywake

I like that we're living in a world where 32GB of internal flash can be seen as "cutting costs".

MarcelRguez

@skywake Well, it is. Maybe not that much by itself, but everything adds up. And again, assuming cartridges are a thing, it's not that big of a deal. Digital-only people are still the minority.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Octane

@MarcelRguez Nintendo doesn't buy their storage from retailers and they don't buy them individually; they can get the same storage capacity for a fraction of the price.

Octane

Therad

Just because it might be 32 GB in the dev kits, it might not be that number in the final number. Dev kits isn't exactly used as the final product.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic