Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,221 to 3,240 of 69,981

MarcelRguez

@skywake True about those people not being the bulk of the early adopters, but don't forget that Sony is announcing not one, but two console iterations in two weeks. Nintendo might lose those impulse buyers that have been holding out for these announcements for a while now. Potentially, that's a good portion of all the previous PS3/360/Wii users that haven't upgraded to a current gen model. I am aware that there are arguments to be made about how the market has changed since and how certain target groups have been lost to smartphones and such, but let's leave that aside for the sake of simplicity.

The point being that, even if that target market might not be that large to begin with, every little bit helps, and all the more so when it comes to securing a large pool of early adopters.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

skywake

@MarcelRguez
I'd go even further on that previous post and say that Sony's announcements don't matter either. To the extent that they will impact the NX it'll be in the months and years going forward. Really the difference between a Neo launch possibly around November this year and the NX in March next year? That's nothing.

The real battle will be next year in advertising and on the shelves.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Therad As far as official statements go and if there hasn't been any change of plans since E3, the announcement won't slide into 2017.

We will see. I don't think it will be in January, but it wouldn't be the disaster some believe it to be.

My stance is the same as it has always been, if Nintendo has a gimmick it will be very easy to explain. If we start thinking that people need time to understand it, it will flop.

And the EG rumour isn't especially hard to understand IMHO. It is a console you can carry with you. Without being a purple cube with an handle.

Therad

MarcelRguez

@skywake Wait, I'm out of the loop about that. I was assuming the NEO was a 2017 thing, don't really know why. Has Sony said anything about an official launch window? Because if it doesn't miss the holiday season, I'd be inclined to agree about what you mention.

@Therad To be fair, neither was the Wii U. They can always screw up in other areas.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Therad

MarcelRguez wrote:

@skywake Wait, I'm out of the loop about that. I was assuming the NEO was a 2017 thing, don't really know why. Has Sony said anything about an official launch window? Because if it doesn't miss the holiday season, I'd be inclined to agree about what you mention.

@Therad To be fair, neither was the Wii U. They can always screw up in other areas.

It is heavily rumoured that neo will be revealed next week and launch this year. Also on the event they will release a ps4 slim. Some units of the slim has apparently been accidentally sold, so you can find unboxings of it.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

FragRed

@MarcelRguez I think people say it's this year because of the fact it seems to be designed with the main idea of supporting/boosting performance of the PSVR. So a launch alongside or nearby would make sense. Plus it would see a massive holidays presence.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

MarcelRguez wrote:

Wait, I'm out of the loop about that. I was assuming the NEO was a 2017 thing, don't really know why. Has Sony said anything about an official launch window? Because if it doesn't miss the holiday season, I'd be inclined to agree about what you mention.

I don't believe they have. But my understanding is they could very easily launch it this year based on what is known. And I wouldn't be too surprised if they do. If for no other reason than the fact that the Neo is mostly there are a revision that makes PSVR work a bit better. The PSVR is coming out in October.

DjLewe78

OK i was worked up yesterday but i still feel the same.
Im 38 years old and i was around playing NES and SNES and Gameboy on launch day. Obviously there was no internet around back then (nothing like today anyway) so apart from the odd roumor in a monthly magazine their was no real speculation about what Nintendo's next machine would be like in terms of power etc.
It just launched and everyone was hyped and bought the thing without any pre conceptions or dissapointment due inaccurate sources building peoples hopes up.
It was all about the games and that's the way it should be.
So with that in mind Nintendo, being "all about the games" will launch when they are ready, whats inside doesn't matter for crap. And i genuinely believe that, hell i had a gameboy and a sega game gear and that lil old black and white handheld was head and shoulders better than Game gear (which i sold 2 months after purchase) .

So i just believe all these "leakers" are actually ruining peoples fun when it does release, building false hope.. Example

Rumour.. "The NX will be a handheld you can take out and hook up to a TV"

Customer... "Great that's amazing, ill post this and talk about how it will work"

Fact (possibly).. Nintendo releases a normal home console and separate handheld.

Outcome.. People pissed of with Nintendo as they were looking forward to this Hybrid, carry on playing PS4

1 up !

DefHalan

Come on everyone, Vote (demand) for the Micro-Console, or else this terrible Eurogamer leak will win!!!
only joking around people

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

@DjLewe78
Put down the rose tinted glasses. The pre-internet days were far worse for spreading "damaging" misinformation about gaming. There was no youtube, there was barely any media. The media that did exist was largely platform specific and didn't talk about the competition at all. Most of your information about a game was word of mouth and the box-art. It was even worse for the hardware itself.

We're literally getting a stream tomorrow (or whatever it is in your timezone) directly from Nintendo themselves. It'll have trailers for games and so on. We get these multiple times a year. This is the fourth such live stream from Nintendo this year. And this is a quiet year! Even when there aren't Directs we get PR from Nintendo on twitter, youtube, facebook.

Don't pretend that speculation didn't exist before the internet because it did. The only difference now is that we can speculate with some actual information. Even if that information is that we don't quite know what but we have a fair idea when. Much better than the old "my Uncle works at Nintendo" we got as a kid.

DjLewe78

@skywake

Like i said their was no info apart from the odd piece in a monthly magazine, even the fan letters (pre email, pens and paper etc) section never really spoke of it. Meaning it just wasn't important. It was more about the games.

Compared to today....

Edited on by DjLewe78

1 up !

FragRed

@DjLewe78 It has always been about the hardware on the playground from what I recall. The PlayStation vs N64 vs Saturn was what I remember during secondary school. I don't recall anyone owning a NES or SNES before that, it was always Sega but then they did dominate the UK market. But it was rarely games people spoke about, just which console was better.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

@DjLewe78
Sure, but you missed my point. The lack of information back then was still filled by speculation. Even after the console was on store shelves. You couldn't just find out information about a game or console. You relied pretty much entirely on word of mouth and marketing. At best you'd see a grainy screenshot in a magazine. None of which are as reliable as a trailer or presentation. And to make things even worse there was far less information in general back then. So to the extent what you're saying is true it was worse back then, not better.

Edited on by skywake

DjLewe78

@skywake

Yeah but the romours were not on an hourly basis like today.
And the lack of information was a good thing. We just bought it no matter what and played the games.

What difference does it make knowing what spec the NX may or may not have.

You aint playing Zelda on anything else so why talk about whats inside?

1 up !

skywake

DjLewe78 wrote:

And the lack of information was a good thing. We just bought it no matter what and played the games.

It really wasn't

Grumblevolcano

@DjLewe78 BotW is still coming to Wii U, if the NX doesn't interest you and you have a Wii U you could get it for that.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DjLewe78

@Grumblevolcano

How can the NX interest me at this point, that's probably not its name and i don't know what it is.

The NX excites me. And i play Nintendo games.

And i forgot about BOTW being on WII U too

1 up !

DjLewe78

@skywake

The only info we need is the game reviews, whats in the machine neither here nor there.

Im a Nintendo gamer. I will get an NX like every other console they have released. I will love it im sure.

X1 or X2 ? Im sure the next Mario kart will look great

1 up !

dtjive

I said it before, but I think that Nintendo are concerned that the NX will kill any future 3DS software purchases. Personally, I believe that the 3DS direct confirms that they are still trying hard to push the final games that they have for it and won't be speaking about the NX until after Pokemon Sun/Moon is released.

I was tempted to believe that potentially Sun/Moon might come to the NX as a strategy of the reveal not a) destroying 3DS sales; b) without redirecting them to the NX and c) the added benefit of it being a system seller- but I feel if that was the case then they'd need to announce this thing in September/early October. I'm not saying it isn't possible that that could still happen and they announce another direct soon after, but it feels unlikely imo.

Guess we'll see but my money is now on 1st or 2nd week of December.

dtjive

Grumblevolcano

The Game Awards is December 1st, I could see the NX reveal date being shown at the end of that.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic