Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 69,980

Frostyboy

Does it have 3 screens? I wouldn't want a HDMI receiver. I would prefer a docking station with power supply and HDMI out then we just pick up a controller to play on tv. But I like the idea.

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

WebHead

@Frostyboy: well no its two touchscreens. The top one slides up and down and can be adjusted slightly. The screen is up for portable mode and down for controller/TV mode. But I supposed a dock would be better for using other controllers and such, would have to be sold separately to keep costs down.

But yeah that's my idea. Itd be roughly Wii U level in power but uses the vulkan api and is overall easier to develop for. All that together while keeping dev costs down should enable Nintendo to streamline game development and put all their teams on one development platform, reducing development time resulting in faster game releases. In controller mode you could use it as a Wii U gamepad for Wii U or even use a Wii U as a dock.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Churchy

Although my speculation is also based on my own hope and what was leaked by Foxconn, I would venture this as a HUGE guess: the NX will be a system that has two parts. It will have a home console portion and a handheld console portion. Essentially, developers would only need to develop for one system as each portion would run on the same operating system and be compatible with the same software. It would be bit like the PS4 games streaming on Vita but much more dynamic. You could play a game on your home console, take the handheld part out with you and continue playing it but with exactly the same experience in terms of graphics etc. Everything such as Nintendo accounts and the e-shop would be unified into one space.

In terms of architecture, I would imagine something slightly more capable than a PS4/Xbox One.

Also, I think it will be released around this time next year, with Dragon Quest XI and Zelda as launch titles. (I know that games are a bit nuts but a guy can dream right?)

Edited on by Churchy

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

TOUGHDUDE94

I think it is a handheld.2x the power as the Wii u.With a easy to develop for using x86 and AMD processer.Also with HDMI out micro USB port, 1080p screen,64 GB internal and sd card slot expandable up to 256gb sd card.

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

DefHalan

andrew20 wrote:

I think it is a handheld.2x the power as the Wii u.With a easy to develop for using x86 and AMD processer.Also with HDMI out micro USB port, 1080p screen,64 GB internal and sd card slot expandable up to 256gb sd card.

256 gb sd card? That won't hold many games if you are wanting AAA titles, like I am guessing you are wanting with power like that

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

andrew20 wrote:

Don't get your hopes up. The NX needs to be feasible.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

Here's my prediction for the range of that the NX could sit within:

1. "Low spec" portable

• 512MB - 1GB RAM total
  • 16:9 480p screen(s)
  • No internal storage, still leans on SD cards
  • Wireless N only
  • Hardware spec along the lines of an overclocked Wii

2. "high spec" portable

• 1 - 2GB RAM total
  • 720p screen(s)
  • 8-16GB of internal storage, SD card expansion.
  • Wireless AC, can be a Wii U GamePad and will support remote-play on the next home console
  • Hardware spec approaching the 360

3. "Low spec" home console

• A small spec bump from the Wii U pushing it close to the PS4
  • Only does 1080p, there's no reason to even flirt with the idea of 4K at this spec
  • Storage is either a HDD or upto ~64GB of flash with USB expansion options.
  • Part of the "hook" is that it's also an architectural shift. Makes PS4/XBOne/PC ports easier/cheaper.
  • It also has some other reason to exist.... if not it's DoA....

4. "High spec" home console

• At most they could do 2x PS4 if it's 2017, ~25% above is more likely
  • The thing has HDMI 2.0 support for 4K regardless. Can do media consumption and indie titles at 4K
  • Ethernet on the back as well as higher end WiFi. Purely so that remote-play on a portable is possible
  • Storage is upto ~250GB of flash (definitely achievable) or a 1TB HDD. Ontop of USB storage expansion

Additional things for whatever it is:

• The new account system allows cross-play
  • The new account system allows cross-buy
  • Nintendo find a way to use cheap existing tech for games
  • We get great first party software that explains why this new hardware exists

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

skywake wrote:

1. "Low spec" portable

• 512MB - 1GB RAM total
  • Wireless N only

2. "high spec" portable

• 1 - 2GB RAM total
  • 720p screen(s)
  • Wireless AC, can be a Wii U GamePad and will support remote-play on the next home console

• Only does 1080p, there's no reason to even flirt with the idea of 4K at this spec
  • Part of the "hook" is that it's also an architectural shift. Makes PS4/XBOne/PC ports easier/cheaper.

• The thing has HDMI 2.0 support for 4K regardless. Can do media consumption and indie titles at 4K
  • Ethernet on the back as well as higher end WiFi. Purely so that remote-play on a portable is possible
  • Storage is upto ~250GB of flash (definitely achievable) or a 1TB HDD. Ontop of USB storage expansion

What are your thoughts on potential prices?

Right now I think either "Low Spec" home console or "Low Spec" Portable are the most likely. Low Spec home console because I simply don't think Nintendo is willing to make power the key feature of their system. So unless Nintendo stumbles upon another Wii Remote (a novel concept that DOESN'T significantly affect manufacturing cost), they are going to stay on the low end of that.

As for the portable, unless Nintendo is going to run Android, an HD portable is literally unviable. The thing keeping the 3DS supported today is the lower development cost. Make that cost higher and you have another Vita on your hands.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

iKhan wrote:

What are your thoughts on potential prices?

It depends on what they are and when they release!

The low-end portable would have to be under $200US. For a lower spec they can't push the price up much higher than that otherwise they're getting into the "I could get an iPad for this". And yes that's about the same price as the New 3DS XL, that's kinda the point. It'd slot into that price bracket and the 3DS would get cheaper. They could release something like this at that price today and make a profit on it.

The higher spec portable? They'd have to charge closer to $300US for it or sell it at a loss. Ideally at that sort of spec they'd also push closer to 2017 to keep the costs down. And yes this would effectively be "another Vita", which is why I think it's unlikely. But it's still about as far as I think they could reasonably push it. I'd personally rather they didn't push it that far purely so that we can have a portable with decent thermals and battery life.

The Wii U 2.0 half-gen upgrade path? They could push that thing out for about $250US pretty easily especially if it's a 2017 release. Effectively what they'd be doing is releasing new hardware at the same price rather than dropping the price of the Wii U. The issue I have with this idea is that unless it's doing something entirely original it looks pretty average. Not that I don't expect Nintendo to do something crazy it's just that I think it's pretty risky to rely on just that. Especially against established players.

The higher spec upgrade I'd expect to be closer to $400US. I'd also expect it to release in late 2017 at the earliest. Those two things along with the spec would position it as more of a "first of the next-gen systems". Which is very un-Nintendo but it's also a strategy that should allow them to hold onto that platform for longer. It would also be the first "4K compatible" piece of gaming hardware from the big 3. Possibly the only mass-market product that would be 4K capable in 2017/18. Does that matter? Well you can be the judge... but it would be an edge they'd have on the competition.

More than likely it'll sit somewhere between these two sets of extremes

Edited on by skywake

Therad

skywake wrote:

1. "Low spec" portable

• 512MB - 1GB RAM total
  • Wireless N only

2. "high spec" portable

• 1 - 2GB RAM total
  • 720p screen(s)

One thing about the portable, I wouldn't be surprised if it is 720p even if it is a low-spec, mainly because due to popularity of smartphones, they can cut costs because they are mainstream.

The same about home console really, it could support 4k, but leave it up to developers to decide which resolution they render to. If my memory serves me right, PS4 can render at 4k but no one has done it.

Therad

skywake

@Therad:
I think 720p is a possibility on a lower spec portable. I wouldn't rule out it having a higher spec WiFi either or some kind of storage. Possibly fitting one or two of them into the same low price point. The post was more along the lines of "I'd be surprised if it wasn't in this range" than "it'll be exactly this or that". That said there's not a huge advantage pushing the screen resolution much higher than 480p on a 3.5-5" screen (190-280PPI, iPhone6S is 330PPI) . Especially at the cost of framerate and battery life.

On the home console side of things you're right, it could push 4K even if it is a low spec model. I can just see Nintendo not even bothering with that knowing their history. It's also worth noting that the PS4 and XBOne do support 4K but only at 30Hz. I don't think that counts as "proper 4K" given that it's a gaming box.

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

@skywake: Tbh I don't think the high end home console is likely. That jus tisn't Nintendo's strategy. I really can't see NX going above $300. if its a low end portable it should be $200 or less.

WebHead

skywake

@WebHead: It heavily depends on when the thing comes out. A 2016 home console that seriously outperforms the PS4 would definitely be Nintendo changing their strategy. In 2018 it wouldn't be. In 2016 them just pushing close to the PS4 spec is potentially interesting depending on what the hook is. In 2018 such a product is old news.

With a portable system? I don't think it really matters what they do or when they release it. Unless some other player tries to enter that space they'll be the only game in town. Under $200US is the price they should be aiming for but even if they don't it's not like people have anywhere else to turn to. It'll be cheap enough eventually.

WebHead

@skywake: eh I think it's safe to say this will be out before 2018. The low spec portable and consoles would need good gimmicks. Maybe the portable can have that outward object scanning/detecting from the patent.

WebHead

TOUGHDUDE94

@iKhan: That my be to hard for them they can not make anything more powerful than the PS vita.But that is my low end now the high end it is 5x the power of the ps4

Edited on by TOUGHDUDE94

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Frostyboy

Do you not think releasing a home console mid gen is a risk? A lot of people I know only have 1 console and have only started adopting the ps4 this year. Are they expecting people to trade there current console in to get the NX or buy a second console? I think a 2018 release with a top spec console and a great release lineup would be Nintendo best idea! That's if they want to compete with PS and XBox maybe there after a different market!

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

WebHead

@Frostyboy: they can't and won't wait until 2018 sadly. I do think the Xbox One successor will launch November 2018 though.

WebHead

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: Either Nintendo needs to full commit to the Mid Gen Machine, having Sony and Microsoft release their console then about half way through their generation, Nintendo releases their console. Or they need something smaller/cheaper, like a micro console, to try to start getting people to enter the Nintendo market and then release a full home console at around the time Sony and Microsoft release theirs.

@WebHead: I think 2018 for a Xbox One or PS4 replacement is to early. Consoles need to last closer to last gen rather than earlier generations. Last generation set the new mark for how long people expect a system to be on the market, replacing it too early could cause a backlash. Nintendo would have the smaller backlash for doing this currently.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic