Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 69,954

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Q4 is October, November and December, unless it's the financial quarter, then it's January till March. Depends on the context then, source?

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane The source was Digitimes, I saw a Neogaf thread in my twitter feed. Turns out Neogaf are saying it's not trustworthy.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano tbh I take this hybrid thing as them basically giving up on third party support altogether :/

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

tbh I take this hybrid thing as them basically giving up on third party support altogether :/

Can they survive on their own? The Wii U wasn't able to. The 3DS continues to get good 3rd party support but they aren't getting big AAA games.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

cwong15

I wouldn't worry too much about 3rd party support for this NX. Going with other rumors, I expect the NX to be a family of products with a full-powered (possibly x86) home console NX to arrive some time after this portable. That later NX should be the one to attract the 3rd party home console games. For now, the portable NX would get 1st party games and support from those 3rd party developers who would normally support the 3DS.

cwong15

DefHalan

@cwong15 What would be the point of having a home console mode in the portable NX if a Home Console was being made?

dtjive

@iceclimbers

I agree with you. Whilst on paper a situation where xbox v ps4 v nx is only differentiated by first party exclusives would seem like it might favour Nintendo, i really don't think it can be as simple as that.

People feel affection towards their brands, and feel loyalty towards them. Not only that but Nintendo hardly have a history of that would speak to audience to trust them when it came to third party software , whereas Sony/ms might feel like safer options. And people want to play on platforms their friends play on. So Nintendo isn't just convincing one person to move, it has to convince groups of friends to move.

And I just think people are overestimating the general pull of a few first party games that Nintendo has. I wouldn't say it's unfathomable to think that certain buyers think first party exclusives on the other platforms are as good if not better than Nintendos.

I think convincing people to switch from the other platforms is a hard sell. It'll convince some sure, but I think most will just stick to what they know. But a platform that can convince people either as a) a handheld or b) a second console to the xbox/ps4 which has the added benefit of uniting first party software? Well, marketed correctly and priced appropriately, that seems like a sound bet. I reckon a sub $250 price could get them 80m+ install base

dtjive

dtjive

DefHalan wrote:

Wii U should have been a good choice for an alternative platform. It got different games than the other two and mostly backed by strong 1st party titles. However, we all know how the Wii U panned out. People would rather own a PS4 and XB1 instead of a PS4 and Wii U, or XB1 and Wii U. If Nintendo was getting these gateway games, people could be tempted to get a Nintendo system as their second system. "Well, I hear good things about this game (multiplatform) and I am interested in this series (1st party) maybe I will get a new system to play both these games." I have heard a lot of people talk like this. You look at facebook comments on popular games, like Rocket League, and people talk about owning the same game on multiple systems. There are people that own it on PS4/XB1/PC and why is Nintendo not on that list? Because Nintendo doesn't have the game.

Im sorry that makes no sense. Why would people pick up a second system because it can now play third party titles that they can already play on their first system?

If Nintendo want to convince gamers to go "only Nintendo" then the only option is to get in the game and compete with the big two. If they want to be a second system then the smart option is to consider how THEY (not third parties available on other platforms) can support the system effectively (which the Wii U wasn't)

dtjive

DefHalan

I don't think the general public has as much brand loyalty as gamers think they do. A lot of people upgraded from Xbox 360 to PS4. Lots of Wii owners didn't upgrade to Wii U. How many customers will upgrade from PS4 to Neo? How many will upgrade from XB1 to Scorpio? If Nintendo could offer people the same 3rd Party games they have come to expect they could use those titles as a gateway to their platform and try to make more Nintendo fans.

Currently, if you like PS4 and want to branch out a little, do you jump to the platform that doesn't have any of the games you know and love (Wii U) or do you go for the platform that has lots of the games you love but with differences? (Xbox One) It seems the market is currently favoring the second option. Nintendo going against that, pushing the current strategy that isn't working, doesn't fill me with confidence. Nintendo had issues with their latest platforms but the rumors about the NX don't seem to address any of them.

These conversations keep me wondering, is the NX more Iwata or more Kimishima? I am thinking more Iwata, but he isn't here to drive the ship... we will see what happens.

DefHalan

dtjive wrote:

Im sorry that makes no sense. Why would people pick up a second system because it can now play third party titles that they can already play on their first system?

If Nintendo want to convince gamers to go "only Nintendo" then the only option is to get in the game and compete with the big two. If they want to be a second system then the smart option is to consider how THEY (not third parties available on other platforms) can support the system effectively (which the Wii U wasn't)

It may not make much sense to us, but I think it is about risks. People aren't wanting to spend $250-$200 on a system they view as a risk. Lets say this "gamer" has only ever had a PS3 and now a PS4 but wants to branch out. Will this gamer choose a system that doesn't have any games he has played? Or will he choose a system that has the games he plays plus Xbox Exclusives? If he buys a Wii U and doesn't like the games, he is out of luck. If he buys a Xbox One and doesn't like the exclusives, he can still use the system to play the games he enjoys.

Nintendo needs to sell their system and if they can't get the gamer audience to take the system seriously, then it won't last long. (example: Wii) If they don't get enough software releasing fast enough, Nintendo will lose people's attention. (example: Wii U)

cwong15

@DefHalan Why a home console? To address the shortcomings that people perceive with the rumored NX portable. After all, a console has to make trade-offs to be portable. Less power, heavier controller ... for various reasons I don't consider this rumored NX portable to be the ultimate NX console. Conventional reasons to release a home console:

• PS4/XB1 power parity to get home console ports from the usual 3rd party publishers
  • More comfortable, cost effective for those who don't want a portable

I don't think a pure NX home console is viable now against current competition. But if the NX platform becomes well established, and if it complements the NX portable, it'd have a chance. It could interact with the NX portable in interesting ways too. For example, it could provide extra processing power (remember that supplemental computing device patent?). It could allow 2 players to interact when one is at home and the other on the go. Or you could sync up your on-the-go game progress when you get home. I don't expect the NX portable's dock to be more than a power/HDMI passthrough for cost reasons, but a home console could offer more sophisticated docking interaction with the portable.

Or hey, it could be that microconsole you always wanted ... except that when docked with the portable the combined device could achieve parity with regular home consoles.

cwong15

DefHalan

@cwong15 Sure Nintendo could release hardware with more power, but then what is the point of the NX Portable having a Home Console mode? Why would Nintendo want to compete against itself? The NX is rumored to be a portable with a Home Console mode, so why would they then release a Home Console to make that mode pointless?

I don't see how a Nintendo Home Console isn't viable now against current competition. This is one of the better times for Nintendo to strike in my opinion. Microsoft and Sony are telling their customers it is time to upgrade in 2017, Nintendo could have swooped in and been another option when it comes to upgrading.

Why sell a home console to allow two player when they could just sell them another NX. Just because a console is a portable doesn't mean you can't play it at home.

I don't understand why people seem to want their portable to "dock" into a home console? I wouldn't want my 3DS to have to dock with my Wii U to play it.

Everyone keeps bringing up my microconsole idea and I think skywake was the only one to actually read my posts about it. My microconsole idea was to support their two console lines (home and portable) and offer more features. It was not to just have a low powered console instead of a high powered console.

DefHalan

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

I would advise posters in this thread who think Nintendo should just make a console that can play third-party AAA video games and call it a day to not just think about video games from the gamer's standpoint, but the company's.

Ask yourselves these questions: What does Nintendo want to do with their video games? How do they view themselves in the video game industry? Can a straightforward comparison be made between Nintendo (primarily a video game company) and Sony/Microsoft (electronics conglomerates)? Do you think the business mission differences between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft affect how they design their consoles? Etc.

It's not just about what you personally want when you buy a video game console. Keep that in mind.

So what are some of the positives of Nintendo not having 3rd Party support?

LzWinky

Well he has a point. Nintendo has very little competitive advantage if they just play third party games. Everyone already has a PS4 or Xbox One for that.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DefHalan

Lzeon wrote:

Well he has a point. Nintendo has very little competitive advantage if they just play third party games. Everyone already has a PS4 or Xbox One for that.

Can Nintendo compete with only their 1st Party? Wii U says "No"

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan I have considered it and I have had discussions about it, right in this thread even. If lack of software is the message Nintendo wants with their hardware then they should just continue down this path. Nintendo wants to view themselves as a place of more quality and less quanity? Then why do they let just about anyone register as a Wii U developer, even I am registered. All businesses need to make money. Nintendo's "business mission" is one that involves making money and because of this they try to make their hardware profitable, which has been damaging the Wii U and even damaged the 3DS in the beginning. Nintendo has their own set of logic and it doesn't always work out for them. I am just wondering, what do you see as the benefits to Nintendo not having 3rd Party software?

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan then why don't you tell me the benefits of Nintendo not having 3rd Party, since I am not seeing it?

LzWinky

At this point, it really makes no sense to have two devices anymore. It divides resources for no reason and requires a bigger cost for a full experience. Nintendo is floundering in the console market and Sony has abandoned the handheld. No one is benefitting from a console/handheld anymore

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DefHalan

@Lzeon I think Nintendo could be successful at both but they keep getting in their own way. They have certain ideas about consoles that seem backwards compared to how things are done. If they want to give up on the Home Console market, then they should give up on it and just focus on handhelds, don't give us this machine that is a handheld but can be a home console but has detachable controllers, etc. If they are really done with Home Consoles then they need to listen to Ron Swanson, "don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing."

LzWinky

Having two systems is backwards. No company is benefitting from that anymore. Making a hybrid home console won't deter the handheld that much. Matter of fact, I'd argue that having two systems would half-ass both.

Like I said, development could focus on one system instead of two. Do you really think the Wii U would have had a drought if it was combined with the 3DS?

Edited on by LzWinky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic