Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 69,981

skywake

@dtjive
I'll put it this way. Your original rant was that Nintendo should make the NX look like a tablet to appeal to that market. But the thing is, when I scroll through the people who I know have a tablet in my head? I don't really come across anyone (including myself) who would replace their tablet with an NX. I can think of quite a few people who might buy an NX but none as a tablet replacement.

And the people who I know have a tablet? Some of them have a PS4/XBOne, some have a Wii U, some have a 3DS. Quite a few were the Wii/DS "casuals" who supposedly migrated to tablets. Counting out 10 people who I know have tablets from a variety of demographics? In that group there's 1 PS4, 3 3DS and 1 Wii U. I reckon in this group of 10 tablet owners? There's room for 4-5 NX consoles if they get their software right. Without trying to be a tablet. I think there's 2 guaranteed, 1 likely and 1 or 2 more if they can do a Wii Sports thing again. Making it more "tablet gamer friendly"? I don't think that would convince any of those people to buy one

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

People saving to buy something, you crack up! Either people already are good at saving, and then they have the money they need or they take out their credit card and take a payment on that. Or a financial plan in the shop.

Sure, there is probably some that actually save for a specific product, but they are in the minority.

And that is why it is better to delay the reveal, since most purchases are Impulse buys. Though I agree they should reveal soon, September or October.

Therad

dtjive

So Nvidia have a conference meeting on August 11th where they will answer investor questions. You'd have to expect that investors are going to ask questions about their relationship with Nintendo and specifically rumours about the NX.

Given that it would be very bad of Nvidia to provide false information to their investors, we should at least expect Nvidia would confirm that the eurogamer rumour is false. If they don't, then it likely suggests there is some authenticity to it.

So we should hopefully expect some NX related news as early as next week, which then gets me thinking- if Nvidia next week are likely to placed in a position that confirms/denys this rumour; might we expect Nintendo might be considering to announce the NX sooner than we expect?

dtjive

Therad

Or they give the usual "we don't comment on rumours". Don't expect anything until Nintendo have had their reveal.

Therad

dtjive

Therad wrote:

Or they give the usual "we don't comment on rumours". Don't expect anything until Nintendo have had their reveal.

Not saying that isn't possible, but when a rumour could possibly have an impact on what investors choose to do- not denying the rumour when you know it isn't true is pretty bad. Remember how Nintendo told investors that their relationship with Pokemon Go isn't as strong as they think it is? It's a company duty to give investors accurate information. At the very least we should expect a straight out denial if it isn't true.

Also this guy who is a Wii U developer tweeted this:

@RCMADIAX
Slow news week huh? Feels like a storm is about to drop #Direct ly upon us.

https://twitter.com/rcmadiax?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%...

And has then quickly backtracked to say he meant to tweet from his personal account not the company one. Even still, that whole tweet does seem very suspicious

dtjive

WebHead

@cwong15 3ds and Wii u have had their time.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Therad

@dtjive come on, not telling details about their business is not lying. In fact, it might hurt them and their business if they start blabbering about their customers products before they have been revealed. Why do you think we hear about "embedded solution contract win" instead of "we will provide chipsets xyz to the next PlayStation!"?

Therad

dtjive

Therad wrote:

@dtjive come on, not telling details about their business is not lying. In fact, it might hurt them and their business if they start blabbering about their customers products before they have been revealed. Why do you think we hear about "embedded solution contract win" instead of "we will provide chipsets xyz to the next PlayStation!"?

Not debunking a rumour that you know isn't true because it might increase investment is indeed lying.

I'm not expecting however for Nvidia to say "oh yeah the rumour is true, we are gonna be the SoC for the NX". I expect they'll give some non-committal answer, but if it is outright not true they should really come out and say it.

dtjive

WebHead

@RCMADIAX I don't see a point in a non-nx direct honestly. What's left to talk about otherwise that justifies a direct?

WebHead

rallydefault

@WebHead
Hrm... the next smart phone game? lol

(I'm joking - although as of late, I can see Nintendo doing this haha)

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@WebHead Well there isn't enough to talk about. Don't need Sun/Moon in a direct due to the fortnightly new trailers. Most of the other 3DS games are already out in Japan so that leaves Mario Party Star Rush and Federation Force. On the Wii U side, they won't talk about Zelda until NX reveal so that leaves Color Splash and a Wii U / 3DS indie reel.

We've just got to accept it's over.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano And that makes the need for a reveal sooner not later for the NX all the more important. Having so little on the horizon for the 2 systems is not sending out a good vibe especially when Nintendo seems to keep silent on when they'll announce their next hardware which will itself allow the doors to open on what games are coming for it both first and third party. It's almost as if Nintendo are unsure themselves about the NX themselves.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

@FragRed doesn't help when the president admits he's going through trial and error during the last investor meeting..

WebHead

FragRed

@WebHead Something tells me the NX reveal is going to be half assed and half hearted.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up about this. It's not like the NX being revealed is going to change anything. Plus the rumour that's got everyone worked up is the same one that said they had a reveal planned for September. That's just a few weeks away really.

I think there's a case to be made for bringing the reveal forward. But at the same time, if they don't who cares? It's not like you're going to not buy the NX when it comes out because they were a couple of weeks "too late" on the reveal. By the time this thing is out that's old news. There's more risk in getting the reveal content wrong then there is getting the timing wrong.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FragRed

@skywake But Nintendo hasn't even given a DATE, or even a vague month. That alone wouldn't be too much of a problem if they had something to keep their fans going between now and the reveal, but they don't. And that is something Nintendo could have done something about.

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up about this. It's not like the NX being revealed is going to change anything. Plus the rumour that's got everyone worked up is the same one that said they had a reveal planned for September. That's just a few weeks away really.

I think there's a case to be made for bringing the reveal forward. But at the same time, if they don't who cares? It's not like you're going to not buy the NX when it comes out because they were a couple of weeks "too late" on the reveal. By the time this thing is out that's old news. There's more risk in getting the reveal content wrong then there is getting the timing wrong.

Don't forget the Sony stuff releasing in October (PSVR, PS4 Neo, etc.), announce too late and the Neo and/or VR makes Nintendo lose more ground.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

Eh, I don't think the Neo will impact it that much. The Neo seems to be after those with too much disposable income.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@Lzeon And the millions of people that have not upgraded yet from their last gen console.

Octane

rallydefault

I just get a little grumbly after constantly watching how other companies (Microsoft and Sony, sure, but even other general entertainment/gaming companies) are so good at building hype for a game, movie, or whatever. They start marketing campaigns early, have a steady flow of teasers lined up, etc. It seems so well-planned and designed to keep consumers' attention for long periods of time leading up to a release. Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo doesn't give off a slightly aloof vibe when it comes to all this. Almost like, "WE don't need to do that stuff" kind of attitude. Which sucks. I would use Star Fox as an example. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that most people probably don't even know there's a brand-new Star Fox game for the Wii U. Guaranteed. That thing got ZERO hype and build-up from Nintendo, and it's one of their big brands. The only people who were following that game were people like us: we religiously watch Directs, stay up on Nintendo-centered news. People who don't? Next to nothing.

When stuff leaked about the Xbox One, you didn't see Microsoft just stand quietly in the corner. They took to the websites and forums and social media and at least tried to control the message so that things didn't get out of hand (things still did lol). Sony's been talking a bit about the Neo right now. It's not this "total silence" bit that Nintendo puts out.

Purely my opinion, but it's what I see nonetheless. A bit disappointing, especially since we're talking about completely brand-new hardware.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic