Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,981 to 2,000 of 69,983

skywake

@WebHead
Yeah, would make sense. Circle-Pad, Trigger(s), A/B/X/Y or D-Pad and gyro. Though I still hope that they also support the current line of bluetooth controllers. Which would cost them nothing to do given that these things are going to have to be wireless anyways....

@Grumblevolcano
Why does it make any difference? It's not like you can't put a fair amount of flash in a portable device.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

FragRed wrote:

@Octane Be careful what you post, IGN and Gamespot.com may take this as legit and start reporting it

It was Eurogamer, who had an inside source. FYI, journalism will exist regardless of pithy remarks on the internet.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

WebHead

@skywake I suspect the tablet will sync wirelessly with box as well and only dock for charging otherwise it's a waste

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

@WebHead
I reckon the dock will be largely useless unless the portable is docked. It might have some kind of standby functions if it has its own storage. But it might not. People have said this will be like a "reverse Wii U" and some respects that's a fair way to look at it. But at the same time it might be a "reverse Wii U" in the same way that plugging a HDMI cable into the side of a Microsoft Surface is.

WebHead

@skywake this is what I reckon the box is for:
-charging
-TV play
-external drives
-using other controllers

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

Therad

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@WebHead I know this sounds crazy but maybe retail games will return to being physical only like back in the DS/Wii days.

Impulse buying is harder when you have to drive a couple of miles instead of pressing a button.

Therad

WebHead

@Therad I'm cautiously optimistic for the device but not gonna lie I'm digging this. If the reveal is good and price is good I'll seriously consider buying day one.

WebHead

skywake

WebHead wrote:

@skywake this is what I reckon the box is for:
-charging
-TV play
-external drives
-using other controllers

I'm on pretty much the same page I think. My guess is that the portable component will have:

• WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • NFC
  • Internal Flash and/or SD card expansion

While the dock will have:

• HDMI out
  • USB expansion for mass storage, accessories ect
  • Ethernet, though I'm not holding my breath
  • Maybe a small ARM chip so it can have some idle functionality

erv

I don't think the dock will be entirely passive. But we may as well have a mid gen "dock upgrade" lol

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

rallydefault

erv wrote:

I don't think the dock will be entirely passive. But we may as well have a mid gen "dock upgrade" lol

Yea, I also think the dock might do a little more than simply project onto the TV. But then again, every function of the dock brings more cost to the system, and as we've been saying, price can be the absolutely crucial piece to this puzzle.

I was just reading lots of comments on a different site, and though many of them were favorable, most hinged on price. I'm in America, so I'm talking dollars, and if this puppy would come in around 200 bucks (150 would be magical, of course, but a long shot), it would seriously set itself up for success. People would be VERY willing to give this a shot as their second console for 200 bucks. But once you start hitting the 250-300 range, it's in the PS4/Xbox One territory, and most people aren't going to see the logic in buying something with less power for the same amount of money.

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault As it stands, that's not a bad price. However, with the PS4 Neo and Xbox One S coming out this year, I can quite easily see the original consoles coming down to a price very much nearer to that figure you're suggesting which will again make the system look less appealing.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

@FragRed thing is if we are getting a high powered tablet with control pads, a box, maybe a pack in game, in addition to probably free online and a steady stream of games, especially Nintendo, I think $250 is fair.

WebHead

FragRed

@WebHead That's certainly true, but it's not necessarily Nintendo fans that they need to please with the pricing of the device, it's those whom may have once been Nintendo fans as well as expanding the market to new gamers and casuals.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@WebHead @FragRed The Xbox One S (500GB) launches this August for $299, the Xbox One already dropped down in price to $249 a couple of days ago in preparation for the slim model. The PS4 is currently a big higher; $349 for the 1TB I believe and a couple of tenners less for the 500GB model. If they want to market this as a secondary console, then I don't think $250 is going to cut it. Especially not 8 months from now when they current consoles may drop even more in price. I'm definitely expecting a PS4 price drop when NEO launches.

Octane

WebHead

@Octane I expect ps4 price drop in September. Could always sell the box separately too since while supplemental to the experience isn't fully necessary.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

rallydefault

Octane wrote:

@WebHead @FragRed The Xbox One S (500GB) launches this August for $299, the Xbox One already dropped down in price to $249 a couple of days ago in preparation for the slim model. The PS4 is currently a big higher; $349 for the 1TB I believe and a couple of tenners less for the 500GB model. If they want to market this as a secondary console, then I don't think $250 is going to cut it. Especially not 8 months from now when they current consoles may drop even more in price. I'm definitely expecting a PS4 price drop when NEO launches.

Couldn't have said it better myself. In order to reach people that aren't huge Nintendo fans like me, this thing needs to hit 200 dollars. Honestly. 50 bucks can make a big difference in someone's mind. 100 bucks, obviously, can be a complete write-off in terms of mental real estate.

As soon as you start scratching at 250, you're gonna lose A LOT of customers who will just shrug it off and stay with their Xbox or Playstation.

@WebHead
By the "box" do you mean the docking station? Because yea, selling a version of the NX without the dock at a much-reduced price could be very enticing, especially if it would bring it to something like 150.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

erv wrote:

Yea, I also think the dock might do a little more than simply project onto the TV. But then again, every function of the dock brings more cost to the system, and as we've been saying, price can be the absolutely crucial piece to this puzzle.

Two products on the market come to mind that fit into the sort of category of a "slightly less than passive" dock. There's the Chromecast which is what, a $30US? Would have enough power to have a simple OS and maybe do some media stuff. Then there's the NES Mini which I can only assume is also ARM based. They're selling that for $60US with 30 games and I can only assume a very healthy margin.

So I think a dock that does some basic stuff is very possible. As I said earlier maybe it's mostly just able to download patches onto a bigger HDD while the portable isn't connected. Maybe it also presents a TV specific menu with some basic functions. Maybe you can launch into things like youtube, netflix, browser, eShop etc even if the portable isn't docked. Wild speculation at this point but still.

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

@rallydefault true. Again could have two sets as well and sell box separately.$200 for portable and control pads, $250 with those and the box.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic