Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 69,954

-Green-

@WebHead Yeah, but when's the last time Nintendo actually took command over rumors surrounding their stuff? (Legitimate question)

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

WebHead

@-Red- not that I know of.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Peek-a-boo

This article might be interesting to some folks: - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-nx-the-pros-and-cons-...

Early online speculation about pricing for the NX expects it to be cheaper than current consoles, but from what we’ve heard it’s going to be cheaper than even the vast majority expect. This is a machine that is targeting the mass market, and Nintendo certainly plans for it to have a mass market price. Price is one Wii U mistake Nintendo is determined not to repeat. This could be NX's single biggest win.

$249, just like the Wii? Or $199 when the 3DS was 'relaunched'?

MCV has spoken to one person with hands-on experience with the machine. Their assessment? "It feels like a bit of a novelty."

I know it is just one person, but man... I don't know what to say.

Peek-a-boo

FragRed

@-Red- Nintendo did quite quickly came out and denounced the rumours of the NX being an Android device when those rumours first started circulated last year.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@Peek-a-boo Well Nintendo said they're not selling NX at a loss so I'd imagine $250.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@GrailUK This is not a micro console released to enhance the features of two main consoles. This is a horrible monster of trying to mix too many odeas that shouldn't be.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Before yesterday, all the leaks and rumours were either proven fake or had little/no evidence supporting it.

Even more than that. Wasn't one of the more believed sources for rumours saying the NX would have an AMD chip? I think we all know who I'm talking about. If you go to his youtube channel he's still making comments about how he's still right. Which is interesting to say the least.....

That is super interesting, actually. Probably just him being extremely stubborn, but still interesting because he must realize he'll look like even more of a fool the longer he continues to support his theory and is proven wrong. Makes you wonder if perhaps he does know something else. Seems highly unlikely in the face of the organizations supporting the Nvidia rumor, though. (Did someone say the Wall Street Journal just published something?)

rallydefault

Vinny

If the Eurogamer rumor is true, the improvement from 3DS to NX would be absolutely huge. The 3DS has a ARM11, while the X1 has A57, many generations more advanced than the ARM11 (Cortex A57 > Cortex A15 > Cortex A9 > Cortex A8 > ARM11).

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Peek-a-boo

@Vinny You could also spin it around and say that the improvement from Wii U to NX may well be somewhat underwhelming.

The 3DS was arguably outdated - specification wise - when it was very first released, especially considering its technologically superior competitor, the PS Vita, was only released eight or nine months later.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

GrailUK

NX rumour talk

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@GrailUK So are you suggesting that the NX could be God?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Therad

At $250, it would be basically the same price as Wii U and something like $50-$60 cheaper than New 3ds. In the case of 3ds it might be seen as an upgrade, but what about the Wii U? The chipset we are talking about (x1) is about the same power level as the Wii U. If you are not interested in portability, what does a Wii U owner benefit from this?

Therad

Grumblevolcano

@Therad "What does a Wii U owner benefit from this?"

New games of course and that's where Nintendo's 9 month Wii U drought strategy comes in. Color Splash is all Wii U owners have to look forward to from after June 24th 2016 outside of the odd indie game and DLC release until the NX launches.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

Basically, the ability to play new Nintendo games, which for me, is what I want to continue doing. Also, as @skywake said a couple pages back, can we please get straight on the power stuff.

This Tegra x1 chip is NOT "about the same power level as the Wii U." It's definitely better than Wii U levels. That's just a fact. It's going to be a bump UP from Wii U processing power. And that's not even taking into account that Nintendo (according to this blasted rumor) is not going to be using an Android OS, so as the tech heads are saying, will be able to run the chip "from the metal," giving it even more power. Screen resolution will also factor into this. And the slight possibility of the X2 chip will factor into this (highly unlikely).

So can we just keep that clear in the discussion from now on? Because it does make a huge difference in the assumptions people are making about this machine.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

WebHead

@rallydefault plus I imagine the screen will be 540p as well. I think the box will have a mini processor as well. Nothing crazy just power the i/o and help scale games to HD on the TV.

WebHead

Peek-a-boo

@WebHead Anything less than 720p would be tremendously disappointing in this day and age.

My Grandad has a cheap but cheerful mobile phone that has a 768 x 1280 display for £59/$79.

Peek-a-boo

WebHead

@Peek-a-boo maybe certainly not higher than that though.i could see a 6" 720p screen

WebHead

IceClimbers

@WebHead @Grumblevolcano

$249 is a bad idea after the 3DS launch. If it's going to be sold as a handheld first, home console second, then it needs to be lower than that as people will expect handheld pricing.

$229 should be the absolute max, $199 is the sweet spot.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Therad

rallydefault wrote:

Basically, the ability to play new Nintendo games, which for me, is what I want to continue doing. Also, as @skywake said a couple pages back, can we please get straight on the power stuff.

This Tegra x1 chip is NOT "about the same power level as the Wii U." It's definitely better than Wii U levels. That's just a fact. It's going to be a bump UP from Wii U processing power. And that's not even taking into account that Nintendo (according to this blasted rumor) is not going to be using an Android OS, so as the tech heads are saying, will be able to run the chip "from the metal," giving it even more power. Screen resolution will also factor into this. And the slight possibility of the X2 chip will factor into this (highly unlikely).

So can we just keep that clear in the discussion from now on? Because it does make a huge difference in the assumptions people are making about this machine.

It remains to be seen if it will have a massive boost. But even if it is x1 (before launch people usually talk up specs), it would still be behind the current power twins. Both will probably get a price cut when their revisions shows up. So it is quite possible that the NX will have the same price as them, and be an inferior home console. Which is one of the more common complaints about the Wii U.

And if they only have 2 detachable wiimotes as controls, we have clunky control scheme as well. Now we only need inferior third-party support, and we have the Wii U again (which is bad for nintendo, if not for us)

I might still pick it up. But if they don't have a standalone home console, it might take a while.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic