Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 69,970

skywake

This is the one bit of that article people are reading into, just so it's very clear what was and wasn't said. And by who. Just before you all get too excited about what hasn't actually been said....

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

1. The "exact shape" isn't clear
2. They were talking to "people familiar with", this was second hand information
3. They qualified what they said by saying what was "likely" and what they would "aim" for

This is a hint of what it is, possibly. It could also be a wild goose chase. But the one thing I'll add is that even if this is all 100% accurate? That doesn't mean they're going to go down your wishlists. There's quite a lot of wiggle room in what is being said here. I wouldn't pencil anything in until we get some leaks which involve prototype systems or internal trailers featuring the hardware.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

martinskrtel37 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Price is of no consequence. Just give me a powerful home console with a nice, comfy, "classic" controller and Nintendo's games and charm. This is your chance, Nintendo. A unique opportunity to refresh the gaming scene. Even the "gimmick" front has been beaten to death over the better part of the last decade - that stuff didn't cut it with the Wii U, it won't cut it five years later under a new guise. We're crying out, screaming out, for a return to greatness that mixes old-school comfort in terms of hardware with new-school ideas concerning software.

Do it. Or learn to love your smart phone even more.

so basically you want a return to 2001 but with 2016 graphics..

how would putting out this return-to-your-roots console "refresh" the gaming scene, by going back to what worked 10 years ago? Nintendo are moving on and the fans need to realise it..

what gimmick front exactly? were the wiimotes a gimmick? how much money did they make selling hundreds of millions of wii's and wii accessories? i don't see a gimmick in the wii, they revolutionised the way everyone interacts with their consoles. sure the competition have done a laughable job in copying nintendo who are still using that technology today, but they are always working on new copies to sell some bad ideas. i don't see how it was a "gimmick" when it worked and it actually has substance and it's still working today. similarly with the Wii U, there is no need to just dismiss it as something stupid when it could just as likely be the way of the future. do you really think we'll be plugging a "classic" style controller into Port 1 of a machine connected to our TV playing the same kinds of games forever? is that really all you want from the next gen, some kind of Gamecube on speed?

Yes.

rallydefault

Joeynator3000

I made a blog with a silly guess on the NX...I'll post it here eventually. But long story short, it's going to be super expensive and what everyone wanted in a Nintendo system. Obviously it won't happen, but I kinda wished it did...(mainly to teach the whiners a lesson)
EDIT: Here ya go, have fun. lol
"Probably won't happen, but I want it to be like this so everyone will shut up about Nintendo and let them do their own thing. lol

NX will be a powerhouse, matching or exceeding the power of One or PS4. It'll be super expensive and even have a Deluxe version like with the Wii U, controllers and accessories will be expensive and will most likely require an external hard drive for some stupid reason. (Nintendo brand, also expensive, lol)

There will be little to no first party games since they'll be focusing completely on 3rd party, no backwards compatibility with Wii U games be needing to be repurchased through the NX eShop (requires subscription....also expensive). Also, BluRay drive and 4K and 3D support.

So yeah, no more cheap Nintendo who's always behind the times...it's what everyone has always wanted.

P.S: MAKE A FREAKIN' HOME CONSOLE MONSTER HUNTER CAPCOM!!!! Wii U or NX, I don't care at this point. Also, make it expensive. (...please don't, lol)"

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Blast

NX is gonna be powerful.... wipes tear Might even be a powerful hybrid console... wipes another tear LET'S GOOOOOO!!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

rallydefault

Megumi wrote:

I made a blog with a silly guess on the NX...I'll post it here eventually. But long story short, it's going to be super expensive and what everyone wanted in a Nintendo system. Obviously it won't happen, but I kinda wished it did...(mainly to teach the whiners a lesson)
EDIT: Here ya go, have fun. lol
"Probably won't happen, but I want it to be like this so everyone will shut up about Nintendo and let them do their own thing. lol

NX will be a powerhouse, matching or exceeding the power of One or PS4. It'll be super expensive and even have a Deluxe version like with the Wii U, controllers and accessories will be expensive and will most likely require an external hard drive for some stupid reason. (Nintendo brand, also expensive, lol)

There will be little to no first party games since they'll be focusing completely on 3rd party, no backwards compatibility with Wii U games be needing to be repurchased through the NX eShop (requires subscription....also expensive). Also, BluRay drive and 4K and 3D support.

So yeah, no more cheap Nintendo who's always behind the times...it's what everyone has always wanted.

P.S: MAKE A FREAKIN' HOME CONSOLE MONSTER HUNTER CAPCOM!!!! Wii U or NX, I don't care at this point. Also, make it expensive. (...please don't, lol)"

That actually sounds pretty fantastic. Not even joking. Backwards compatibility has never and will never be a selling point for me. It was never a "thing" for the better-selling home consoles until the PS2, and for someone as old as me, my PS2 was already my 5th or 6th home console - in other words, I was used to not having it, and it was purely a luxury that, quite honestly, I rarely ever made use of.

Your "argument" about "little to no first party games" due to a focus on third-party enticement is pretty funny; it reveals how naïve you are.

"So yeah, no more cheap Nintendo who's always behind the times...it's what everyone has always wanted." Yea, it is what I've wanted for the last decade or so, and I'm willing to bet (based on sales numbers of the Wii U and the middling/poor software attachment rate of the Wii) that it's what quite a lot of other people want, as well.

You also don't seem to know much about external hard drives.

rallydefault

WebHead

According to rumors the NX devkits suggest that it's more powerful than ps4 and xbone

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

cookiex

WebHead wrote:

According to rumors the NX devkits suggest that it's more powerful than ps4 and xbone

Apparently one of the software demos included is so heavy on polygons that even current-gen Intel CPU are struggling to run it at 60 frames per second.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Blast

WebHead wrote:

Let's do this, Nintendo!!!!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Offspring

cookiex wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Apparently one of the software demos included is so heavy on polygons that even current-gen Intel CPU are struggling to run it at 60 frames per second.

Sources???

Bathe in the glory of The Offspring:
Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Fire Emblem is Nickelback.
I am the artist formally known as "insert ...

DefHalan

OlicityBlows wrote:

cookiex wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Sources???

There are no real sources for any of this. it is all just rumor and wishes. lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

I think it is funny that 1 source is used to create so many articles and all those articles are considered evidence to support the source. I just think we should wait for more sources.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

cookiex

I admit to jumping the gun a bit considering the actual source is very sketchy. I should've waited for more information at least (which since dev kits are now heading out should happen sooner or later).

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Octane

There are two separate ''sources'':

There's the original article from the Wall Street Journal. I don't think that's a reliable source at all, given how heavily they rely on speculation to rumours in their article. They claim that Nintendo is handing out dev kits, which might very well be true, but there's no actual way of confirming it.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-soft...

There's also a forum post on Nintendo Forums, I don't know the administrator who posted the comment, so I have no idea how reliable he is. They claim that they have talked with a major game publisher in the US, the publisher claimed that the NX is ''incredibly powerful''.
http://www.nintendoforums.com/threads/nintendo-nx-will-have-i...

Anyway, those are the only two sources right now, but there's no way to confirm any of it. Every other article is copy-paste material with their own wishes and speculation added to the story.

Octane

skywake

It's also worth noting that "incredibly powerful" is a statement that's very, very dependent on what it is and what it's being compared to. It could be "incredibly powerful" in comparison to the hardware it's replacing. Or just more powerful than the devs expected it to be. Some would have called the Wii U "incredibly powerful" by that sort of reasoning.

It may actually just be "incredibly powerful" because of the form factor. What's powerful for portable devices is very different than what's powerful for a non-portable device. And different again if it's micro console that's the size of small stack of CDs. As a comparison the newest iPhone is "incredibly powerful"... but pretty much any new laptop on the market will outclass it.

Edited on by skywake

Paulthevgnerd

So I don't know why nobody updated on this but the guy who wrote the WSJ article updated the info on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/654989741977239552

He basically lead some credence that it won't be a hybrid device, but still hasn't ruled it out. It doesn't make sense for them to make a hybrid system, and honestly doubt they will. Bundle the two? Sure, but force them together into one device? Nope. You can also tell this man's english isn't too strong, so it makes sense for him to make an error like that in translation. But even then, I doubt he knows more then we do at this point.

Edited on by Paulthevgnerd

Paulthevgnerd

skywake

@Paulthevgnerd: It's also interesting some of the stuff he's chosen to re-tweet. Specifically a link to this article....

Tweet:
New WSJ report doesn't contradict (or add that much to) what we knew in March
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-nx-analysis/

Quote from the article:
So, with all of this in mind, what can we say about NX?

It can be used as a portable game device—at least. This is clear as day. Whether you can also hook it up to a TV or not, it must be a handheld. (that) said, it’s possible that NX could also output to your television. [....] Nintendo will need something that’s primarily portable to take the baton from 3DS. But even if the device we see doesn’t also work in the home, Nintendo will likely unveil other form factors that play similar (or identical) games but have different home-portable configurations. Maybe the hybrid device is real, but it’s not the first thing in stores. Maybe there’s a device that only works with the TV, but is significantly cheaper since it has no screen.

Edited on by skywake

BlueSkies

The most likely scenarios for this console in my opinion-
1. Tablet/phone controller shell
2. VR Gear style device for phones
3. AR based on Nintendo's patent for head and gaze tracking with a television
4. New 3D wand(s)
5. NX is the common OS between their new portable and console, sold separately
6. Wand-style shell for smart phones

Untitled

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

VanillaLake

Just when it looked extremely dark for Nintendo they realised they have to focus on outstanding hardware and good software again like in the old days. I've said a thousand times that the only way they could do it was saying goodbye to developing different hardware and different software and focussing on just one thing. After all, Nintendo has many competitors, more than ever. They couldn't handle it. I see this like a brand new start and I have faith in their new vision. In the meantime, they can give us effortless deals like Virtual Console (eShop) games that have not been released yet for Wii U/3DS.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

renaryuugufan92

I'm kind of hoping for a hybrid yet future proof-ished set up.

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic