Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 69,954

DefHalan

@WebHead Of Course they will show us it some day, there just isn't much benefit to them showing it today, 8 months in advance

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Justlink

@WebHead Just because we say it doesn't need shown so soon doesn't mean we want it delayed. If it's shown now, how much can Nintendo benefit?

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan does it matter what they call it, especially before the offical announcement? If it is a Home Console, it can still be a Platform.

WebHead

justlink wrote:

Another thing is there will be less hype built up over the NX if revealed later. This allows the Wii U to have one last holiday season with the last remaining titles being released for it. If NX had a full reveal to the public now, the WiiU would have a worse Holiday than it would now. It was enough for them to tell us March.

Irrelevant. Wii u is a soon to be dead platform, likely to cease manufacturing next year.

Idk maybe I am impatient but imo this is starting to look like lack of confidence.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

WebHead

@BiasedSonyFan I'd be fairly disappointed if all this espionage level secret concludes to a plain Jane xbone one style box with a Nintendo badge on it.

WebHead

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan doesn't matter if it is stupid, Nintendo is going to do things their way.

WebHead

@DefHalan and that attitude is exactly why. You can't always just do what you want. Well you can but as we've seen with Nintendo, there's consequences to having such a closed mindset.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

With the NX, the public is still wondering what the NX is; whether the NX is a console, a handheld, a hybrid, a computer, a robot, a particle accelerator, etc. The public is still being told that the NX is a "platform". Why hasn't Nintendo told the public what the NX obviously is?

With the NX it's a case of people in our circles knowing that there's this thing called "NX". Especially people on Nintendo specific forums who hang around in the NX specific sub-forum. But we're a niche group, the general public doesn't know or care.

Conversation with someone from the wider audience:
Nintendo Fan: "What do you think about this NX thing"
Random person: "haven't heard about it. What is it?
Nintendo Fan: "Well It's a Nintendo thing but we don't really know what it is yet"
Random person: ............
Nintendo Fan: .........
Random person: "So this Pokemon Go thing is pretty big"

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

Also, why is Nintendo getting so much crap about this? The ps4 was revealed 8 months prior to launch, Xbox one 6 months. I guess you also give much more flak to Apple and Samsung, since they usually doesn't reveal anything before launch.

Wii U was revealed 18 months prior to launch and look how well it did.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

-Green-

Yeah guys, I still don't know if the NX can toast my sandwiches or not. Gosh darn it.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

@BiasedSonyFan Sandwiches first, ice cubes later.

-Green-

@BiasedSonyFan Yuck, McDonalds is disgusting. So fatty and unhealthy. I just want Ninty to toast my sandwiches for me, I'll handle making them.

Edited on by -Green-

Therad

@BiasedSonyFan we know it is new hardware for playing games aka new console, don't hang up on the word platform, it is meaningless.

And why do you need more info? You will still not be able to play on it before March. There is nothing
special with consoles, they follow the same logic as all other tech stuff. Regardless of it is phones, media players or TVs. Start the hype machine to early and it will fizzle out.

You also forget that the others are doing the same with their new revisions.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

Assuming that the NX is a regular console, there is alot of time being wasted on silly speculation and keeping a "platform" under wraps instead of building intrigue about a real, regular console.

Well, I'd argue they've always been pretty clear that this is a regular console in some sense

Iwata wrote:

While this is not something directly relating to the collaboration that we have announced today, here is one thing I would like to mention to avoid any misunderstandings.

Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices but it is not because we have lost passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems. On the contrary, now that we have decided how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than ever before. Nintendo has made this decision because we have concluded that the approach of making use of smart devices is a rational way for us to encourage even more people around the world to recognize the great value of the wonderful game software available on our dedicated game systems.

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

Smart devices have the widest reach and, thus, have the strongest potential for us to be able to connect with the largest number of consumers.

We aim to construct a bridge between smart devices and dedicated video game hardware that connects consumers to our dedicated video game systems.

For the consumers who are connected with Nintendo through smart devices and interested in Nintendo’s IP, we would like to provide even more premium gameplay experiences on Nintendo’s dedicated game platforms. By taking this approach, we firmly believe that doing business on smart devices will not shrink our dedicated video game system business and will instead create new demand as this broader reach will enable us to provide consumers around the world with more opportunities to experience the appeal of Nintendo IP, and instead of trying to seize the other’s demand, dedicated video game systems and smart devices will benefit from the synergies created between them.

This was last year when they anounced the NX. In the middle of their announcement of a partnership with DeNA. Back then they were saying that the NX was a piece of dedicated video game hardware. In the same way that the 3DS and Wii U are. And that their movement to mobile wasn't a signal that they were dropping out of that space. Instead they intended to use their IP on mobile devices (think Pokemon Go) to encourage people to buy into dedicated video game hardware (think Sun/Moon on the 3DS).

Frankly I don't know how much clearer they could have been short of actually showing it. The fact that people have decided to read between the lines to find other secrets? That's not their fault. Really. Nor is it their fault that the further we get away from the announcement the bigger the Chinese whispers have gotten. I don't know how them saying that the NX is a piece of dedicated video game hardware designed for premium experiences is at all vague. Not in the sense that you're implying at least.

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

@skywake 105% agree with everything. Even when they talk about the challenges of making games for their home console and hand held, they concede that it would be easier if they had the same architecture so they can re use assets. So they merge their divisions for the sake of efficiency and this gets translated as they are creating a hybrid! Nintendo are being so transparent and people still cannot take anything at face value. They have not revealed the NX and I also think they haven't given anything away...because they are canny like that.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

WebHead

@GrailUK well they still need to show it at some point, preferably by October. Need to give people at least a little time to make an informed decision

WebHead

Bluefiregamer

@WebHead I agree with you. People are already thinking about whether they are going to purchase an Xbox One s or are waiting for the Ps4 Neo. If Nintendo waits too long to reveal it, people might already have their minds made up. However, i do hope Nintendo has put into consideration, the timing of the reveal. All of the games I am playing now are simply to bide my time untill I can get my hands on that masterpiece that is LOZ BOTW.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

skywake

@GrailUK
Or they read into particular bits and get carried away. Like the statement about how they are trying to create a bridge between mobile content and more premium experiences on dedicated hardware. People took that and have assumed they literally meant a half-way device. Which then somehow also becomes a hybrid device which does all of the things.

But when you read it it's actually pretty damn clear. They're talking about using their IP as a bridge between mobile (phone/tablet) and console (home consoles/portables). With their content on one boosting sales on the other rather than eating into it. Which is what we're already seeing with Pokemon Go even though it's not really "from Nintendo". Pokemon Go does better because Pokemon is popular and Pokemon Sun/Moon will get more exposure because of Pokemon Go. The IP itself is the bridge, not a piece of hardware.

Edited on by skywake

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@skywake
"Well, I'd argue they've always been pretty clear that this is a regular console in some sense"

Iwata saying that Nintendo is still making dedicated video game systems does not meam that they're releasing a regular (or traditional, as you called it) console. Using the term game system doesn't even imply anything about a console per se, since video game systems are not limited to consoles.

They quite literally drew a line between the two with dedicated gaming systems on one side (Wii U, 3DS, NX) and other non-gaming-specific platforms (tablet, smartphone, PC) on the other. I'd argue that if they're splitting them into those two categories it's pretty cut and dry. The NX is a traditional console. In the same way that when it all boiled down the DS was, the Wii was, the Wii U was and the 3DS was.

Therad

@BiasedSonyFan funny you mention Sony and ms, since both scorpio and ps4k are following the same pattern we are talking about. But I don't see you ranting about them.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic