Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 69,953

dtjive

To extend the thought that the NX will integrate handheld/console gaming, what if the NX will also look to tie in mobile gaming too? Pretty sure it's been rumoured before right?

I reckon Nintendo see mobile gaming not as a profit making machine, but more as a clever advertising for their home/handheld games. Take Pokemon Go for example. I bet a ton of people have preordered the new pokemon game or picked up an old copy of a previous game. It's raising the awareness of the brand again and I think this is how the mobile gaming will operate. For example, I suspect that in October it'll be announced that the new pokemon that are in Sun/Moon will be available to find in your hometown. Moreover, I think that those who buy Sun/Moon will get something free for the game (e.g. bag upgrade/incubators).

What if this is Nintendo's plan for all their franchises? Release a mobile version of the IP to raise awareness. Offer free incentives for the mobile game if you purchase the game.

This might also work with Nintendo achievements. Earn achievements on your console (which convert into Nintendo coins) and you can use this to get new games/DLC/in-app mobile purchases.

dtjive

FragRed

@dtjive I hate to say this but most the people who are playing Pokemon Go are not the sort who'd go and buy the full Pokemon experience. In fact most won't even own the 3DS to begin with and nor would they want to. Pokemon Go is successful because it taps into the market that wouldn't be bothered about such games otherwise.

Edited on by FragRed

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@FragRed Sure, but outta all those millions, you have thousands with more money than sense and will buy in to it big style.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

@FragRed
That's not the point. It's not about whether or not "most" will move across to the main series. I don't think anyone is suggesting they will. But it's hard to argue against the idea that Pokemon Go is free advertising for Pokemon. It's raising awareness for the brand. So when the full game comes out? I reckon it'll do better than it otherwise would have because of that.

This has been what Nintendo has said from the start. That mobile isn't there to replace other platforms it's there mostly as a kind of advertisement for their IP. One that happens to also make a bit of money on the side. In the case of Pokemon Go quite a bit of money.... but still...

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

skywake wrote:

@FragRed
That's not the point. It's not about whether or not "most" will move across to the main series. I don't think anyone is suggesting they will. But it's hard to argue against the idea that Pokemon Go is free advertising for Pokemon. It's raising awareness for the brand. So when the full game comes out? I reckon it'll do better than it otherwise would have because of that.

This has been what Nintendo has said from the start. That mobile isn't there to replace other platforms it's there mostly as a kind of advertisement for their IP. One that happens to also make a bit of money on the side. In the case of Pokemon Go quite a bit of money.... but still...

Exactly. It wasn't my suggestion that 50million consumers of Pokemon Go or whatever would suddenly become 50m consumers of the Pokemon series, but that a fraction of that base may decide to invest in other Nintendo hardware to play Pokemon titles.

I've already seen around a lot online people who are interested in picking up Red/Blue/Yellow again from the eshop after getting back into Pokemon via the app. If they can cleverly coincide Pokemon Sun/Moon in-app content later this year then this again might interest people in picking up the new title.

dtjive

GrailUK

@dtjive Brand awareness is the biggie. PokemonGo has such a wide spread audience of 'non traditional gamers' that when their kids or future kids want a present, they are going to think Pokémon instead of not having a clue and buying them something they don't want (we have all been there lol)

toxibunny

They've already said that the mobile animal crossing will link into the proper games somehow. And that's probably not going to be any of the games already out...

toxibunny

WebHead

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/07/gamestops_boss_just_hi...

Tbh I think this and Xbox One S are part of why nx is 2017. In addition to games not being ready yet, I think the hardware rumors earlier in the year spooked them.(they'll never admit it though.) After all we must remember how Nintendo's holiday 2013 went with the launches of ps4 and xbone

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

erv

@WebHead I think nintendo is wise enough to not compete in a crowded space. They tried being first with the wii U and that worked wonders... the holiday period of launching is understandable yet not a given.

If they time it, the march thing seems plausible. If they really did have hardware constraints themselves, I don;t expect anything before june.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

gcunit

Is it just me or has it been a long time since we had any meaty rumours to get misled into a frenzy by?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit The rumour sources are too busy playing Pokemon GO

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@gcunit Shhh omg you'll jinx it!

Luna_110

@Grumblevolcano
Nah, its the Nintendo Ninjas, they have been working overtime. It is a bit curious that Nintendo managed to keep the Nes mini (that must be already in production) from having a single leak.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Grumblevolcano

I wonder if the massive success of Pokemon GO would make investors not care if the NX was delayed.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano -slaps- shut up don't encourage them.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

Therad

Btw, the nes mini will probably have arm in it. So the arm rumour was probably that.

Therad

GrailUK

@Therad ARM just got bought up by a Japanese company. Not entirely sure what relevance that bears on anything.

WebHead

Nintendo once again stated March 2017 for nx launch in their annual financial report. So unless something disastrous happens nx is coming out next year.

WebHead

skywake

Therad wrote:

Btw, the nes mini will probably have arm in it. So the arm rumour was probably that.

That's almost surely a thing with the NES Mini being as cheap and low powered as it is.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

cwong15

Despite the latest comments from Nintendo's annual report, we still don't have official word on whether the NX is a home console, portable, microconsole, a HDMI dongle, a trampoline or whatever. It's still a "gaming platform". Here's my prediction. If it's a portable as I expect, don't expect a detailed reveal until after the Christmas shopping season, so it doesn't cannibalize 3DS sales. (See: "Osborne Effect"). If it's a home console, expect a detailed reveal this fall since they've essentially abandoned the Wii U at this point.

cwong15

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic