Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 69,962

martinskrtel37

rallydefault wrote:

Price is of no consequence. Just give me a powerful home console with a nice, comfy, "classic" controller and Nintendo's games and charm. This is your chance, Nintendo. A unique opportunity to refresh the gaming scene. Even the "gimmick" front has been beaten to death over the better part of the last decade - that stuff didn't cut it with the Wii U, it won't cut it five years later under a new guise. We're crying out, screaming out, for a return to greatness that mixes old-school comfort in terms of hardware with new-school ideas concerning software.

Do it. Or learn to love your smart phone even more.

so basically you want a return to 2001 but with 2016 graphics..

how would putting out this return-to-your-roots console "refresh" the gaming scene, by going back to what worked 10 years ago? Nintendo are moving on and the fans need to realise it..

what gimmick front exactly? were the wiimotes a gimmick? how much money did they make selling hundreds of millions of wii's and wii accessories? i don't see a gimmick in the wii, they revolutionised the way everyone interacts with their consoles. sure the competition have done a laughable job in copying nintendo who are still using that technology today, but they are always working on new copies to sell some bad ideas. i don't see how it was a "gimmick" when it worked and it actually has substance and it's still working today. similarly with the Wii U, there is no need to just dismiss it as something stupid when it could just as likely be the way of the future. do you really think we'll be plugging a "classic" style controller into Port 1 of a machine connected to our TV playing the same kinds of games forever? is that really all you want from the next gen, some kind of Gamecube on speed?

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

BigDrulez95

Question for you guys: What markets should Nintendo target with the NX? I feel like there are underserved markets in gaming that should and can be carter to successfully.

BigDrulez95

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

I think a lot of people are hesitant to buy new gaming hardware, I don't think it is exclusively a Nintendo issue. A lot of people are feeling burnt from the current generation and with how long the last generation lasted people are expecting a lot of bang for their buck.

I think we're at the point of the console cycle where people are pretty happy with the hardware they have. I know I am. I have my Wii U where I can get all of the Nintendo stuff but with a shiny new HD coat of paint. They haven't done anything yet where I've felt that its hardware wasn't enough. Then on my PC I can play all of the third party games with settings cranked at 1080p. With the option of maybe getting a 4K monitor down the road and possibly upgrading the GPU to match. So frankly there's not much any company could do to convince me that I need new hardware..... short of taking software away from me....

On the portable side though it's an entirely different story. The Wii U is semi-portable and I love it for that but I find myself not playing games on my 3DS at home anymore because of that. Partly because it's either the tiny screen of the original or the massive pixels of the XL. Which was fine for a 2010 machine given what it did but.... it's starting to look pretty dated.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I think a lot of people are hesitant to buy new gaming hardware, I don't think it is exclusively a Nintendo issue. A lot of people are feeling burnt from the current generation and with how long the last generation lasted people are expecting a lot of bang for their buck.

I think we're at the point of the console cycle where people are pretty happy with the hardware they have. I know I am. I have my Wii U where I can get all of the Nintendo stuff but with a shiny new HD coat of paint. They haven't done anything yet where I've felt that its hardware wasn't enough. Then on my PC I can play all of the third party games with settings cranked at 1080p. With the option of maybe getting a 4K monitor down the road and possibly upgrading the GPU to match. So frankly there's not much any company could do to convince me that I need new hardware..... short of taking software away from me....

On the portable side though it's an entirely different story. The Wii U is semi-portable and I love it for that but I find myself not playing games on my 3DS at home anymore because of that. Partly because it's either the tiny screen of the original or the massive pixels of the XL. Which was fine for a 2010 machine given what it did but.... it's starting to look pretty dated.

I agree, I am pretty happy with my current gaming machines too, but I do not think our opinions are shared among the general public. I was reading an article today about a person's experience with a Xbox One and ot was obvious that person didn't do research before purchasing the system but the complaints were real. I just don't think a lot of people are satisfied with their purchases yet.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

I agree, I am pretty happy with my current gaming machines too, but I do not think our opinions are shared among the general public. I was reading an article today about a person's experience with a Xbox One and ot was obvious that person didn't do research before purchasing the system but the complaints were real. I just don't think a lot of people are satisfied with their purchases yet.

There are complaints I'm just not sure how many of them are with the hardware...

Edited on by skywake

Therad

pherret022 wrote:

@Therad:
I would be fine if the graphical power was the same as or slightly higher than the Wii U's. A realistic, but acceptable price-point for me would be $399.99. I would like this to have game bundled with it, but I will understand paying $449.99 if it is a game bundle.

So you want an underpowered console or overpriced handheld? Because that is how your suggestion will be seen. The wii u hasn't sold well with a price tag of 250 and you suggest even higher price.

And I will wager a guess and say that one of the biggest demographics for handheld are kids, I for one would never buy anything that expensive for my kids, let alone two consoles.

Now, you could of course say that the kids demographics have already moved on to small cheap tablets.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

There are complaints I'm just not sure how many of them are with the hardware...

I don't think it is just a hardware issue either. I just think majority of people aren't satisfied with their purchases yet.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Peach64

That's the most promising news on the NX I've read since they announced it. There were already enough rumors before the announcement of a combined console and handheld system, enough to make you think there was something to it, and then what they said at the announcement just seemed to confirm it.

Peach64

Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu wrote:

Food for thought:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-17-g054ng-Notebook-R...

15 watt TDP, "old" processor architecture (if Nintendo went for x86 it would likely use Zen, which also mean new 14nm/16nm FinFET node, with half the power consumption), comparable power to current Wii U. Of course Nintendo would like a 5 watt TDP, which would mean that, unless AMD new GPU architecture is much more efficient, it would be a struggle to have Wii U power. But perhaps not impossible, as AMD has both a radical new CPU architecture to launch with the 14nm/16nm FinFET node (Zen) along with a new GPU architecture (Arctic Islands). What I see unlikely, however, is Nintendo using the latest CPU and GPU architecture from AMD, although an hybrid all-in-GamePad system with direct HDMI output would really make much sense...

EDIT: the Excavator is the latest architecture from AMD, but it's based on the Bulldozer family that just doesn't work well at low TDP...

If they put Zen and Arctic Islands, you heard it here first

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

WebHead

I imagine that mainly applied to third parties. I suspect first party has had kits for a year now, just to be sure they have enough titles for launch day and first year. Let the leaks begin.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

hmm, I still can't see how this would work. Not in the way people seem to want it to work anyway. Three ways I can see this going....

1. This rumour is accurate but it's a portable system with an optional TV streaming accessory. Thing. The TV box is therefore relatively cheap and doesn't do much on its own.

2. The rumour is accurate and it is a home console but the portable system is almost like a modern version of the VMU. Only powerful enough for some VC titles and maybe a few simple games. Possibly something along the lines of streetpass and some other functions. But not an actual "portable system" in the sense we know it now.

3. The rumour is wrong and/or the sources they're talking to don't actually know and are just speculating. I'm putting my money on there being a lot of speculation given how the actual source of this reads.

Edited on by skywake

Mister_Wu

skywake wrote:

hmm, I still can't see how this would work. Not in the way people seem to want it to work anyway. Three ways I can see this going....

1. This rumour is accurate but it's a portable system with an optional TV streaming accessory. Thing. The TV box is therefore relatively cheap and doesn't do much on its own.

2. The rumour is accurate and it is a home console but the portable system is almost like a modern version of the VMU. Only powerful enough for some VC titles and maybe a few simple games. Possibly something along the lines of streetpass and some other functions. But not an actual "portable system" in the sense we know it now.

3. The rumour is wrong and/or the wsj has reported something that they've misheard or misunderstood as fact

Possibly 1, if they really use Zen(x86)/K12(ARM) + Arctic Islands (GPU) they could also do this:
-portable system with 5 Watt APU (as powerful as the Wii U, 1280 x 720 resolution)
-home system with 35 Watt APU (the same power consumption as the Wii U, could be as powerful as the XBox One, maybe even better if the new GPU architecture is more efficient)

The OS, CPU and GPU in both systems would share the architecture so games don't have to be recompiled with additional costs

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

skywake

@Mister_Wu:
I would reduce my expectations if I was you, such a device would be very expensive. No way that's going to happen.

Mister_Wu

skywake wrote:

@Mister_Wu:
I would reduce my expectations if I was you, such a device would be very expensive. No way that's going to happen.

They would be 2 devices, sold separately. First the 5 W handheld, then the 35 W home console system.

Mister_Wu

VanillaLake

So what I have been saying all this time about the NX being offered in home and portable configurations, with the same technical capabilities and the same software finally seems to be exactly the reality, according to Nintendo Life:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/sources_suggest_nint...

And, apparently, it's going to be a bit more powerful than expected.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Dezzy

After reading that rumour my prediction is that the NX will be:

-A hybrid home console/handheld.
-Equivalent in power to the PS4 when used as a home console.
-Similar style as the Wii U, in that it'll have a "gamepad" type device, giving it backward compatibility. This will be beneficial given how many skipped the Wii U and might want to try some of its games, it'll be beneficial for the big budget games for the Wii U like Xenoblade and Zelda that were clearly looking for bigger install bases. It might also be what they meant by "the NX isn't replacing the Wii U" because it'll mean more Wii U games could still be developed.
-The gamepad will be entirely detachable as a purely handheld device that will run games roughly equivalent to the Vita's capabilities.
-Developers will have the option of developing a game for both handheld and home console (with the console version offering graphical improvements), for just the handheld or for just the home console.

I think this will be positive in that it will unify their userbase so they have enough people capable of playing their bigger games to justify the kinds of budgets needed for games like Zelda U. The main negatives would be that it would once again be slightly confusing for casuals, who tend to need a kind of plug-and-play experience. There would also be a bit of redundancy in terms of the hardware as I assume the home console part will need to be entirely self-contained in terms of computing power. So people who are mostly interested in either just the console half or the handheld half will be facing a higher cost than they otherwise would.

Thoughts? Criticisms and any potential flaws?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Mister_Wu

Dezzy wrote:

After reading that rumour my prediction is that the NX will be:

-A hybrid home console/handheld.
-Equivalent in power to the PS4 when used as a home console.
-Similar style as the Wii U, in that it'll have a "gamepad" type device, giving it backward compatibility. This will be beneficial given how many skipped the Wii U and might want to try some of its games, it'll be beneficial for the big budget games for the Wii U like Xenoblade and Zelda that were clearly looking for bigger install bases. It might also be what they meant by "the NX isn't replacing the Wii U" because it'll mean more Wii U games could still be developed.
-The gamepad will be entirely detachable as a purely handheld device that will run games roughly equivalent to the Vita's capabilities.
-Developers will have the option of developing a game for both handheld and home console (with the console version offering graphical improvements), for just the handheld or for just the home console.

I think this will be positive in that it will unify their userbase so they have enough people capable of playing their bigger games to justify the kinds of budgets needed for games like Zelda U. The main negative would be that it would once again be slightly confusing for casuals, who tend to need a kind of plug-and-play experience.

Thoughts? Criticisms and any potential flaws?

As said above, I see 2 devices sharing the same OS, CPU and GPU architecture. The developer will just have to target the 2 devices in the games, with a "low quality" (720p resolution, lower quality AA and so on) mode when played on the handheld device and a high quality (1080p resolution, higher quality AA and so on) mode when played on the home console. This would simplify development enormously and it's already done on PC in an even more complex way.

Regarding backward compatibility, the Wii U uses a peculiar IBM CPU architecture, I would at most see the original Wii U processor added to the home console and used in a Wii U mode in the same way as the Wii mode is used on the Wii U.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Octane

@skywake: To me it sounds like ''people familiar with the matter'' are expecting Nintendo to be handing out dev kits at this point, because they expect the NX to launch next year. There's no evidence provided at all. The author of the article might as well have started the article with ''My uncle who works at Nintendo...''

Octane

jump

With the new info I'm guessing it's somekind of gaming karaoke device, the mobile units are clearly microphones.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic