Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 69,981

Octane

@Grumblevolcano I still have the mindset that there's a little sanity left at Nintendo HQ. But yeah, at this point, the NX could be anything. We know barely anything more than we did last year. Will be interesting to see when they're going to unveil the console, can't imagine it will take much longer.

Octane

WebHead

@Octane odds are it'll be September or October.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

iKhan

IceClimbers wrote:

skywake wrote:

I think people seem to get it in their heads that Sony and Microsoft are doing something insane with their hardware. Something that Nintendo could never replicate. But the truth is that they aren't. The reality is that there's no reason why Nintendo couldn't release a console that caters to all markets. If they wanted.

While this paragraph is completely true, it is also true that it doesn't mean that such a console from Nintendo would succeed. In fact, there's a good chance that it would fail. This means that the reality could be one that none of us want to admit: the market just doesn't want a Nintendo console anymore, and therefore one won't sell to anyone outside of the dwindling fraction of the Nintendo fanbase that continues to buy their consoles, regardless of what Nintendo does.

I don't think it's that the market doesn't want a Nintendo console as much as the market does have some degree of hysteresis (memory). Nintendo lost 3rd party support very quickly, and with it went the bulk of the audience. After such a long time out of the spotlight, it will take a while for Nintendo to build up 3rd party support and the bulk of the hardcore and midcore gaming audiences, even if they released something on par with the PS4Neo.

The one way around this is if Nintendo has some sort of technical superiority over competition, which cartridges COULD bring.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

IceClimbers wrote:

The reality could be one that none of us want to admit: the market just doesn't want a Nintendo console anymore, and therefore one won't sell to anyone outside of the dwindling fraction of the Nintendo fanbase that continues to buy their consoles, regardless of what Nintendo does.

I'd argue that the market isn't as brand loyal as fanboys like to think it is. People jumped off the Wii and DS bandwagon as quickly as they jumped on it. Microsoft's grip on market seems to have done a similar thing. I don't think the NX's fate is tied to the Wii U as closely as we're going to assume. In the same way that the Wii's fate wasn't tied to the Gamecube.

We're like someone with a hammer. To us every theory about what the NX is will look like another Wii U. Because all we have to go on is the Wii U and how it performed. That doesn't mean we're wrong and I'm not saying that. It just means that we've gotten used to talking about Nintendo through the lens of the Wii U.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

So the jumpgap between standard definition and HD is larger regarding the programming aspect than PowerPC to ARM/x86 then?

One's a purely technical change that happens largely out of view of most of the people working on the game. The other one makes everyone's work more visible, impacts everyone in the chain and puts extra pressure and scrutiny on them.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TheBlackKnight

IMO, the NX might be a success of a console. Since Reggie said that Nintendo is not focusing on the specs or power, it will most likely be another underpowered console that is only focused on content and games with 3rd party line up support.

I mean, look at the ps2, it was underpowered compared to the Gamecube, but it still outsold it and became one of the most successful consoles of all time because of all the support they had. I dont think graphical drawbacks will be much of a drag since the main reason why the Wii U failed was because of a lack of 3rd party support and the weird gimmicky gamepad.

But we might have to wait and see how the NX will turn out

Black Knight, next Nintendo franchise

dtjive

At this point I think I'm fully expecting the NX to be:

Traditional home console with traditional controller (although I think gyro controls may remain, plus they might have the scroll shoulder wheelpads that were in those patents). It will aim to run games at 60fps, 1080p. It's emphasis will be on affordability- so it will be similar powered to Xbox One and will have a price point of $300

Then releasing in Nov 2017 (poss March 2018) there will be a handheld version. Will look quite similar but a more elegant and refined WiiU gamepad. Will run the same games but at 30fps, 720p.

I think what Reggie said about it not being 'about specs' all but much confirms that the NX will not be competing in this domain. I also don't think they will be pushing hard to get 3rd party support (not saying they won't try, but I don't think the console has been designed towards winning it back). The aim of the NX is just to not have two separate libraries anymore but create one sustainable catalogue of games that can sustain the console all by itself. And tbf if you look at unifying the 3ds/wiiU catalogues you can see how that might work.

dtjive

WebHead

@dtjive confirmed to launch in March.

WebHead

Octane

@TheBlackKnight To be fair, the difference between PS2 and GameCube was a lot less than the difference between Wii U and PS4. The PS2 was the ''least'' powerful console available, that's true, but it wasn't underpowered or anything like that.

Octane

dtjive

@WebHead the home console? I know, but there hasn't been any word on a possible handheld has there? My part of the post directly referred to that aspect. A handheld version of the NX that might come out end 2017/early 2018

dtjive

GrailUK

They got something that no one else is doing, and it will be graphically comparable to its peers. It should be as exciting as the Zelda reveal.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

Oh. the shareholder meeting is this week? I thought I saw July somewhere.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano nope this week. Hope we get something like reveal month but not getting my hopes up.sick of this cat-and-mouse game with vague nonanswers(we have been through this before I know.)

WebHead

WebHead

@Octane imo this means we probably shouldn't expect nx stuff this week.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

I think the most we'll find out about the future is about Project Giant Robot.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic