Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 69,962

gcunit

@DefHalan Agreed, but I would really love to know where the line is drawn for a success in the video game industry.

'Total sales income minus Total development, production and marketing costs (software and hardware combined) equals profit' is success, and maybe the Wii U has achieved this. Nintendo certainly hasn't discounted much for the Wii U, so who knows.

But if the PS4 is so far out in front, can anyone see NX selling anything like 40 million unless it is going to be something significantly different to PS4?

Consider any sort of product and purchasing one brand's offering over a very similar offering from another brand. One has the reputation and third-party support of a product with a customer base of 40 million, the other has zero customer base and the reputation of a failing, kiddy, gimmicky product line. Which would you choose?

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jump

DefHalan wrote:

The NX doesn't have to win this generation. If Nintendo can sell 40 million units of the NX before they replace it then I think that should be a victory. I know consumers like to hype up the "Console War" in their heads but Nintendo doesn't have to win, they just have to do better than the Wii U, they have to succeed.

Aiming lower certainly does sound like not winning

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

gcunit

Given the PS4's lead, and how Nintendo handled the Wii U (I've long had the impression it was only ever meant to be a stop-gap console due to market uncertainty), I wouldn't be surprised if NX was another stop-gap, just to take them to the next generation proper and start on a more even keel with the competition.

The NX is trapped in a mid-generation launch window. That would be fine if Wii U had been a market leader, but... so Nintendo can't afford to throw everything at it cos Sony and MS can just leapfrog in a couple of years time.

I just can't see it working out for Nintendo unless they deliver on their hype that NX is something new. If NX is just a clone of PS4, and doesn't have BC with Wii U peripherals, the only way I could see myself buying is if it is significantly cheaper.

Edited on by gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit If it's another stop-gap then what's the point in even releasing it. They could have let mobile give the profits.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano Well quite, which is why I don't think the 'PS4 Clone' idea really has legs - I can't see it doing much better than Wii U. Commercially, another stop-gap is going to hurt Nintendo's reputation very hard, having just come off a 4 year period of doubters calling for ditching the hardware business already.

Edited on by gcunit

jump

Project_Dolphin wrote:

skywake

The GameCube had no gimmicks — except having bright colors for its console (a gimmick), mini-discs for its storage medium (a gimmick), and a handle (a gimmick). Even its branding as a "pure" video game console was a gimmick. It was definitely used as a marketing ploy to appeal to gamers who didn't want a hard drive or internet to play video games (albeit unsuccessfully). All of these things (gimmicks) made the GameCube stand out from its competitors.

Why am I talking to you again?

I wouldn't say the console's colour was a gimmick as they came in dark and dull purple and black (which I wouldn't say is bright also), the N64 and other consoles offered bright special editions far more than the NGC did and it wasn't taken to the level of their portable consoles which dozens of different colours.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

gcunit

Having rambled all afternoon on this topic, the only option I'm prepared to put any faith in at the moment is that NX is a convergence of home and portable, and is basically a replacement for both the Wii U and the 3DS. 3DS has been focused on this year because that's where the numbers make sense for the focus. Nintendo is faking us with this 3DS focus this year - it would be commercial suicide for them to announce that NX would replace 3DS - they need something to bring in some income this year, but 3DS has had it's day. All the E3 focus is on Zelda U because it will carry over benefit to NX, whereas I suspect there's not too much in the pipeline for 3DS beyond the stuff coming in this financial year. NX is getting revealed as late as possible to avoid a collapse in 3DS sales.

Notice that nothing out of Nintendo since NX was first announced has given reasonable hope of a 3DS replacement; of the paltry stuff we've had it's been about it being a home console. That's because the Wii U was obviously getting replaced, so they're using the woe of the Wii U to mask that the 3DS is also getting replaced at the same time.

DefHalan

@gcunit I don't think it is smart of Nintendo to bet on one horse. If the NX replaces both wii U and 3DS and it fails to perform, then Nintendo is going to be in worst shape than they are with the Wii U. I am not sure who a system like that would target, people own a home console for a reason and people own a portable console for a reason, I don't know why it makes sense to mix the two except for the people that would own both systems if they were separate. But that is just my opinion, good luck with your guess.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

Project_Dolphin wrote:

The GameCube had no gimmicks — except having bright colors for its console (a gimmick), mini-discs for its storage medium (a gimmick), and a handle (a gimmick). Even its branding as a "pure" video game console was a gimmick. It was definitely used as a marketing ploy to appeal to gamers who didn't want a hard drive or internet to play video games (albeit unsuccessfully). All of these things (gimmicks) made the GameCube stand out from its competitors.

These aren't gimmicks this is just a list of things that the Gamecube had. Quite a few of which other consoles before and after it had like the different colour variations. The disk capacity wasn't a gimmick it was just the capacity they went with. The Dreamcast used 1GB disks, was that a gimmick? And lacking features that the other consoles had it definitely not a gimmick.

Also by this logic all the NX needs to do is be red, have a handle and not play BluRays. Bam, it's not a "PS4 clone" anymore. I guess the XBOne isn't a PS4 clone because it doesn't support VR. That's where we're at at this point. I can't help but think you just want to make a point of disagreeing with people. Frankly, it's pretty damn hard not to misread what you're apparently thinking when what you're typing changes from post to post.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

The analogue stick on the N64 pad can be considered a gimmick! It differentiated itself from the other consoles.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

@gcunit I have to agree with Defhalan. They're better off with two systems. However, I don't think that a ''PS4 clone'' is a bad idea. Will it sell more than the PS4? No, of course not, but they're coming from a console that sold 13 million units. Any improvent over that is good improvement. 20-40 million would be neat, and anything more than 40 million is just even better. Can they do that? In theory, yes.

It's clear that a Nintendo-only console doesn't sell. There's good reason for that, because even Nintendo themselves can't prevent massive droughts. I'd argue that in order to get the third parties on board, they need to have a home console that is at least capable of playing the same games as XOne and PS4. Since those consoles are already three years old as well, it wouldn't hurt if Nintendo aimed for a little more than that; something closer to PS4 NEO. Add in a x86 CPU, and that should convince third parties to release games on their system, even if the console doesn't sell as well as originally predicted.

Do they need a selling point? Of course. However, I don't think that should necessarily mean hardware gimmicks. An amazing first party library, great third party exclusives and all the multiplat games, that's a pretty attractive system. Still, if they want to ''innovate'', why not include those rotary shoulder wheel buttons? Regular games can still be played if they implement such a thing (something that wasn't possible on the Wii Remote) and it's not too expensive (unlike the GamePad). Anyway, I still think that software should innovate and not the hardware. I don't think the Wii and the Wii U were innovations. Nobody cares about the Wiimote anymore and in 10 years time we're going to wonder why a $100 controller with a screen was a good idea, despite some of the neat functions it offered.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit That's fair analysis as most of the 3DS games after Kirby Planet Robobot are western localizations of already existing games in Japan. Pokemon Sun/Moon is the only exception I think?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@DefHalan @Octane

NX doesn't have to be one device. NX can be two (or more) devices. The console and the portable can still operate independently of each other. I think Nintendo is producing a device for in the home and another device for on the move, and both of these are NX.

DefHalan

@gcunit That whole family of consoles idea thing? I don't see how that idea is different than how they currently operate. They have two systems with some connectivity, which could become more prominent, but still two separate systems. I don't think the NX code name is covering two devices, that just seems like it would be too confusing.

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin Currently, but Nintendo is going to try to widen their audience and having more software that audience already pays attention to will help.

Octane

Project_Dolphin wrote:

An amazing first party library, great third party exclusives and all the multiplat games, that's a pretty attractive system.

To whom? Gamers who don't want to play Nintendo software aren't going to want such a console (unless Nintendo is willing to pay lots of cash for popular third-party exclusives). The number of gamers who want a console that plays both Nintendo software and third-party software isn't large, either.

How do you know? For example, I have many friends who bought a PS4 or XOne for just FIFA and COD, yet grew up with an SNES, or N64. If they could get a system instead that offered some of the games they loved when they were younger, but can also play the games they want to play anyway, why not buy Nintendo's system. If Nintendo introduces new IPs that appeal to a wider audience within the gaming world?

And again, in order for that to happen, a lot of things need to change, Nintendo themselves need to change, but it's not impossible. Whatever they're doing right now isn't working; and last gen was just a fad. If they have a system that is a Nintendo box, but is also home to other games, I don't see how that could be any worse than their current situation.

Octane

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin

If Nintendo games were popular enough to be able to successfully sell a console on their own, then the Wii U would be doing a lot better. As we have seen, Wii U isn't doing well and Nintendo can't save it. Nintendo needs to find a way to broaden their audience, but continuing to make a system that only gets Nintendo and Indie games isn't going to do that. Their options are: attract 3rd parties in hopes of getting more attention from the audience they want, go for another Wii blue ocean concept (is that the right term) or go 3rd parties themselves to sell more software, which worked out well for Sega...

Attracting 3rd Parties is more than just hoping people will buy their system for those 3rd Party games, it is to have something else to offer along with their first party.

Octane

@Project_Dolphin That's because if you wanted to buy a console mainly for third parties, Nintendo was never your first choice. As a result, mostly Nintendo fans bought their systems and Nintendo games ended up being the best selling games.

Octane

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin

Project_Dolphin wrote:

I'm just saying that it's not going to be nearly enough to make a console that plays both Nintendo software and good third-party software.

That is what we have been saying, Nintendo is going to have to change things up from what they have been doing

skywake

GrailUK wrote:

The analogue stick on the N64 pad can be considered a gimmick! It differentiated itself from the other consoles.

It sure was. Until the PS1 did the same at least. The GameCube however didn't really have anything outside of the software itself. Neither did the 360 when compared to the PS3.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic