Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 69,983

WebHead

Then again I'm a guy that's pretty much lost faith in Nintendo. I'm here cuz I like y'all.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

And not letting them go. I don't think Western and euro pubs will ever support ninty as much as the other guys.

MS and Sony are paying attention but I doubt they're fretti g over it. They got their own problems.

Very true, like I said, it depends on how hard Nintendo comes out swinging.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan That was more a case of licenses expiring and the competitor buying the license afterwards. The Activision license ran from 2010 (Modern Warfare 2 DLC) to 2015 (Advanced Warfare DLC) so using the same logic the Sony exclusivity will end in 2020 (exclusivity deals are generally 5 years long). Similarly, the EA exclusivity deal on XB1 started in late 2013 and so would end in late 2018 which doesn't help Nintendo at all given NX is supposedly releasing in March 2017.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano There are other deals that can be made too. We will just have to see what happens lol

WebHead

I hope cases like star fox zero and Amiibo festival don't become the norm. Don't screw up Nintendo games. That's the one thing most people like about this company anymore.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin

DefHalan wrote:

Even if it is a PS4 clone but with Nintendo software, things will be heating up in the console race.

Here is what you quoted in my post...

DefHalan wrote:

Nintendo will be fighting over the same crowd as Sony and Microsoft, and how those companies respond will be important. The NX isn't going to make or break Nintendo, but how they move their business forward will be what is important. Even if the NX is a PS4 Clone, it means Nintendo's business strategy has changed and with that, competitors will have to take notice.

Here is the rest of my post where I explain how things would be "heating up"

Grumblevolcano

@WebHead I'd replace Star Fox Zero with Mario Tennis Ultra Smash for that statement to have real meaning.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@WebHead I'd replace Star Fox Zero with Mario Tennis Ultra Smash for that statement to have real meaning.

Especially since Star Fox is 2016 Game of the Year

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin
Are you missing the point where I say Nintendo will have to change the way they do business (including game development) if they are chasing the same audience as Sony and Microsoft? Also, the NX will be going up against the PS4K and Xbox 1.5 if/when those are released. So the PS4 that the NX would more likely "clone" would be the PS4K. That extra power is going to give Nintendo opportunities to get 3rd Party and games the audience they are chasing on their system. Also, some people buy multiple consoles. I am not one of those but I know several people that have a PS4 and XB1. Nintendo won't only be able to sell to people without systems, but people that already have systems to.

The most important thing the NX needs to do, if it is a PS4 Clone, is set up the next generation for Nintendo. It needs to start getting support now, start getting people paying attention now, for when the Next Generation starts, Nintendo can be a front runner rather than bringing up the rear.

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin But Nintendo changing their business strategy for 3rd parties to easily support the NX and trying to get the NX to be the best platform for 3rd parties would be relvant.

We are in a different market than the GameCube and N64 were in, referencing those doesn't mean much for our current market. The Wii U had lots of missteps, it wasn't just because Wii U software wasn't up to par (according to some people) or their lack of Online focus. There are lots of things that they need to change from the Wii U, hence the reason why they need to change their business strategy from the Wii U with the NX.

Correct, if they don't want Nintendo games they are unlikely to buy a NX. Just like if they don't want Sony or Microsoft games then they are unlikely to buy those systems. Nintendo could try to develop more games that target that audience, but who knows how well that would go over.

PS3 finished last place last generation... PS4 is looking pretty freaking good. Nintendo needs to figure out their long term plans and start working towards them. the NX could be their step towards their long term plans and if that means the NX is a PS4 Clone, then that is what it means.

Personally I have a hard time seeing how Nintendo can release a console now and be successful this generation. However, that doesn't mean they can't be successful in future generations. It doesn't mean the NX can't set things up for Nintendo to have a greater impact with future generations. This isn't a short game that restarts every 5 years. Nintendo needs to be looking 10 to 20 years down the line, possibly even further. I think the NX needs to be the start of that forward thinking, instead of trying to be the next Wii.

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano I should point out that the marketing deals are at most on a franchise basis, not a company basis. The marketing deal for Star Wars Battlefront was with Sony, not Microsoft.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

WebHead wrote:

You'd think people would have given up on the "vanilla home console" thing by now. It's obviously just just gonna be a ps4 with a Nintendo badge on it. There will be a gimmick/innovation/unique feature.

I'm not sure that's what @Therad was arguing, it's certainly not what I was arguing. I was simply saying that at this point I believe the NX is going to be at it's core a home console. And that in terms of horsepower it'll almost surely be at the very least quite a bit more powerful than the Wii U. It'll probably be closer to the XBOne.

Afterall you could describe every other Nintendo console in similar terms. The DS was at it's core a portable system that was quite a bit more capable than the GBA. The Wii was at it's core a home console that was not particularly impressive but still more capable than the Gamecube. We're just saying the NX will probably do the same. What else there is would be anyone's guess and it'd be virtually impossible to speculate. Think about it, who could have predicted dual screens on the DS? Motion controls on the Wii? Game Streaming on the Wii U?

And that's the thing @Project_Dolphin seems to be very, very strongly against for some reason. This idea that the NX is going to be a home console that's more powerful than the Wii U. That's what the disagreement is not whether or not there is some kind of Nintendo-style hook. @Project_Dolphin is convinced that it being "not a simple replacement" means that it has to be something truly exotic. That it won't at all replace the Wii U or 3DS, it'll be something entirely different.

Nintendo's reduced sales forecasts for the Wii U say otherwise

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin i am not arguing for or against the NX being a PS4 clone, I am saying if the NX is a PS4 clone then that means Nintendo's business strategies are changing.

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin

Project_Dolphin wrote:

There is nothing special about a console that's just slightly more powerful than the PS4 and has no backwards compatibility, and it would also not be worth keeping under wraps. If that's what the NX is, then Nintendo should just unveil the NX now and try to build up some hype before launch.

The PS4 already has an install base of about 40 million gamers, and the Xbox One has an install base of about 25 million gamers. There are also alot of gamers who play video games on smartphones and tablets. The NX cannot be just a vanilla home video game console, or it will likely fail to appeal to any gamer when it is released.

This is the post that I replied to that started our whole conversation.

My reply was about how a PS4 Clone could still be big news because it would require Nintendo to change their business strategy and how if it is a PS4 clone they don't gain anything by announcing it early and it could actually be more damaging to announce it early.

I wasn't disagreeing that it is or isn't a PS4 clone but more your reasons why you think that

Edited on by DefHalan

skywake

Project_Dolphin wrote:

@skywake
That it won't at all replace the Wii U or 3DS...

Don't tag my screename again if you're going to waste my time with your nonsense.

I wasn't the one who revived the argument. If you agreed with us that the NX is indeed replacing the Wii U in some capacity then there wouldn't be a disagreement. Since you keep going back to it as if there is a disagreement? I can only assume that you think that the NX is NOT replacing the Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

The NX can still replace the Wii U without being a home console. If you think about it, there are 2 ways to replace a Nintendo home console. Be a more powerful home console or be something that takes the console's key gimmick and makes it better but also not be a home console either.

Something like a handheld that you can also connect to your TV via a dongle would work. Wii U sales get ruined because it essentially does what the Wii U does but better in addition to being a handheld. Meanwhile, 3DS sales aren't affected much because why care about a new handheld when the newest Pokemon games are heading to the old handheld? (Gen 5 being on DS instead of 3DS is partially why the 3DS failed for a while).

Grumblevolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano That's still a handheld though. Games won't look nearly as good as Wii U games and even less than games on the PS4, XOne and PC. I don't see how that can replace the Wii U. 'Home console gamers' won't be interested in that, so it would be a replacement of the 3DS. It's not a Wii U, but better. It's a 3DS that also streams to your TV.

Octane

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

The NX can still replace the Wii U without being a home console. If you think about it, there are 2 ways to replace a Nintendo home console. Be a more powerful home console or be something that takes the console's key gimmick and makes it better but also not be a home console either.

Something like a handheld that you can also connect to your TV via a dongle would work. Wii U sales get ruined because it essentially does what the Wii U does but better in addition to being a handheld. Meanwhile, 3DS sales aren't affected much because why care about a new handheld when the newest Pokemon games are heading to the old handheld? (Gen 5 being on DS instead of 3DS is partially why the 3DS failed for a while).

Well sure with the point about Pokemon and they did to that with the DS. Pokemon Black/White did sell more than any 3DS game. But even so, DS sales halved the year the 3DS launched. Software sales dropped by a third. With the 3DS they're actually projecting an increase in software sales for the next fiscal year.

Also, speaking for myself here, I can't see such a device chewing into the Wii U's space as much as they're projecting. It'd have to be something clearly better than the Wii U for it to do that. And there are some areas where it's going to be very hard for a portable system to beat the Wii U. The newest iPhone doesn't even come close to beating the Wii U in terms of GPU specs, why would Nintendo's next portable? Especially if it's handicapped by a wireless video link rather than full HDMI-out.

If that's what the NX ended up being I'd still buy Zelda on the Wii U. I'd look at it as a new portable with a "play on the TV" party trick that you forget about a week after owning it. It wouldn't replace the Wii U.

Edited on by skywake

Octane

@Project_Dolphin No, that means they're ditching home consoles. If their software teams started to work on mobile games, that doesn't mean that mobile is replacing the Wii U either.

Octane

skywake

@Project_Dolphin
If you agree why do you keep going on about how it's "not a simple replacement". As if somehow what people are suggesting is a "simple replacement". If it plugs into your TV and is more capable than the Wii U? It the Wii U's successor. End of discussion.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic