Forums

Topic: What 5 games must Nintendo launch the NX with?

Posts 201 to 220 of 286

cameronbelmont

In order of preference:

1. Legend of Zelda (WiiU)
2. Super Mario 64 Sequel (in castle, jump into pictures to access levels, earn stars, etc.)
3. Wave Race NX
4. Destiny
5. Battlefront
6. Metroid
7. Mega Man
8. Witcher III (even though I wont play it)
9. Metal Gear Solid
10. Fallout IV

Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Inquisition

adamkop

Metroid Prime for the core gamers with an online multiplayer mode (pirates hunting Samus, Federation troopers haunting pirates, Dark Samus with pirates versus Samus with Federation troopers etc, not a typical deathmatch-loaded stuff), and Splatoon 2 for the more casual people.
Have Mario launch in the first year, along with new Mario Kart for the first holidays after and everyone's set.
With DLC it shouldn't be a problem to keep most of the titles even more evergreen.

adamkop

Galactus_33

I want wave race NX!
More fighting games.

More racing games.

More metroid!

More star tropics!

More Adventure Island!

More Wario WorldNX!

I don't play games, I defeat 'em!

3DS Friend Code: 2466-2267-7837 | Nintendo Network ID: Doremouse

Bolt_Strike

It's no secret on here that I harbor an intense dislike for 3D World, but there's something about it that really gnaws at me. A few months ago Miyamoto explained that the 3D formula is supposed to be a hybrid of the linear 2D games and the 3D collectathon games. However, IMO it doesn't really satisfy either because of the way the progression system is designed. You have to complete basically all of the levels in order (with a handful of choices between levels every now and then) AND you have to have a certain collection total to move on. This doesn't really work as a hybrid style because the benefits of the linear and collectathon gameplay cancel each other out. The collection requirement ruins the simplicity of the linear style and you can't just go from level to level, you have to go what would normally be the extra mile just to get through the game. And having to reach the goal post in each level to unlock the next level also defeats the purpose of the collectathon style, which allows you to freely explore each level and make progress in whatever way you want to move on. So that's not really a good formula for a hybrid of the two styles.

More on the topic of this thread, there is one way they could fix the 3D style to accomplish this, and I hope that Nintendo thinks of this for the next one (although I doubt it). The hybrid style would work if they simply merged the two requirements into one as a sort of weighted collection requirement. In other words, if they were to put a Grand Star at the goal post that was worth 5 Stars and simply had a star requirement to progress, then that would be a successful hybrid system.

Here's an example to illustrate what I'm talking about:

World 1-1 (Starting level)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-2 (5 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-3 (5 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-Fort (15 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-4 (20 Stars to unlock, must obtain the Grand Star from World 1-Fort)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-5 (20 Stars to unlock, must obtain the Grand Star from World 1-Fort)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-6 (20 Stars to unlock, must obtain the Grand Star from World 1-Fort)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-Castle (35 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1 Star Total- 40

Okay, so you start at World 1-1, which I restricted as being the only level at the start for tutorial reasons, it helps ease players into the game. After you get the Grand Star from 1-1 though, then things get interesting. You can choose between 1-2 and 1-3 and then you can unlock 1-Fort through any combination of stars in 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3. Players that want to play the game like a linear platformer can just collect the 3 Grand Stars and automatically reach the 15 Star requirement that way, but if you want to play it like a collectathon, you can choose 1-1 and either 1-2 or 1-3 and collect 2 Grand Stars and 5 regular Stars. Then once you beat 1-Fort, 1-4, 1-5, and 1-6 unlock and again you can choose to either go from level to level getting Grand Stars or pick your levels and get the hidden Stars there. Once you reach 35 through whatever combination of regular and Grand Stars you chose to obtain, then you can go to 1-Castle, beat that, and unlock World 2. That would be a more effective hybrid system that accommodates both styles of play. After that it's just a matter of making the level design open enough for real exploration and then they have a good foundation for future Mario games that satisfies both groups of fans. Make it happen Nintendo!

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Churchy

1. A brand new IP
2. Another brand new IP
3. A proper home console Pokemon RPG/MMO
4. Zelda
5. Metroid or Mario
And depending on when it's out, Dragon Quest XI

As for them talking about it. I'm hoping they just keep quiet, let all of the information out at E3 and release it a few months after the announcement.

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's no secret on here that I harbor an intense dislike for 3D World, but there's something about it that really gnaws at me. A few months ago Miyamoto explained that the 3D formula is supposed to be a hybrid of the linear 2D games and the 3D collectathon games. However, IMO it doesn't really satisfy either because of the way the progression system is designed. You have to complete basically all of the levels in order (with a handful of choices between levels every now and then) AND you have to have a certain collection total to move on. This doesn't really work as a hybrid style because the benefits of the linear and collectathon gameplay cancel each other out. The collection requirement ruins the simplicity of the linear style and you can't just go from level to level, you have to go what would normally be the extra mile just to get through the game. And having to reach the goal post in each level to unlock the next level also defeats the purpose of the collectathon style, which allows you to freely explore each level and make progress in whatever way you want to move on. So that's not really a good formula for a hybrid of the two styles.

More on the topic of this thread, there is one way they could fix the 3D style to accomplish this, and I hope that Nintendo thinks of this for the next one (although I doubt it). The hybrid style would work if they simply merged the two requirements into one as a sort of weighted collection requirement. In other words, if they were to put a Grand Star at the goal post that was worth 5 Stars and simply had a star requirement to progress, then that would be a successful hybrid system.

Here's an example to illustrate what I'm talking about:

World 1-1 (Starting level)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-2 (5 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-3 (5 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-Fort (15 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-4 (20 Stars to unlock, must obtain the Grand Star from World 1-Fort)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-5 (20 Stars to unlock, must obtain the Grand Star from World 1-Fort)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-6 (20 Stars to unlock, must obtain the Grand Star from World 1-Fort)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1-Castle (35 Stars to unlock)- 1 Grand Star + 3 Stars = 8 Stars Total
World 1 Star Total- 40

Okay, so you start at World 1-1, which I restricted as being the only level at the start for tutorial reasons, it helps ease players into the game. After you get the Grand Star from 1-1 though, then things get interesting. You can choose between 1-2 and 1-3 and then you can unlock 1-Fort through any combination of stars in 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3. Players that want to play the game like a linear platformer can just collect the 3 Grand Stars and automatically reach the 15 Star requirement that way, but if you want to play it like a collectathon, you can choose 1-1 and either 1-2 or 1-3 and collect 2 Grand Stars and 5 regular Stars. Then once you beat 1-Fort, 1-4, 1-5, and 1-6 unlock and again you can choose to either go from level to level getting Grand Stars or pick your levels and get the hidden Stars there. Once you reach 35 through whatever combination of regular and Grand Stars you chose to obtain, then you can go to 1-Castle, beat that, and unlock World 2. That would be a more effective hybrid system that accommodates both styles of play. After that it's just a matter of making the level design open enough for real exploration and then they have a good foundation for future Mario games that satisfies both groups of fans. Make it happen Nintendo!

Building off this idea, I think this game would do really well with the Galaxy branding attached to it, that would really help sell the idea. Call it Super Mario 3D Galaxy and make Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina playable, turn the map screens into hub areas (which seems to be what 3D World was starting to do anyway), and you have got yourself a nice little Mario launch title.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Shinion

Am I the only one who had an absolute blast playing through Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and 3D World (some more than once) and can't wait for the next 3D Mario game and has 100% confidence it will be another fun game regardless of what it is? Yes? No? Anyone else with me?

Shinion

Bolt_Strike

TheLastLugia wrote:

Am I the only one who had an absolute blast playing through Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and 3D World (some more than once) and can't wait for the next 3D Mario game and has 100% confidence it will be another fun game regardless of what it is? Yes? No? Anyone else with me?

Yes, most people dislike at least one of those games. I myself don't find that 3D World holds up to the others thanks to a lack of a distinct theme and unique gameplay ideas and a shift from open ended collection based gameplay to traditional linear platforming. It's pretty much the NSMB of 3D games, and frankly I think the game is highly, highly overrated. The NX game should really do something to push the series forward or bring something unique to the table, the main series has been extremely stagnant since Galaxy.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers

@Bolt_Strike: It's been stagnant since Galaxy because they've only made one game since then - Galaxy 2. 3D Land and 3D World are a separate style, and a separate lineage.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: It's been stagnant since Galaxy because they've only made one game since then - Galaxy 2. 3D Land and 3D World are a separate style, and a separate lineage.

Separate lineages or not, the games they have been making are very stagnant, NSMB and 3D barely change from game to game.

Bolt_Strike

WebHead

I wouldn't rule out ports of Minecraft and FF VII day one. I hope that the 3rd party titles are up to snuff. They must learn that the Nintendo market simply does not tolerate the bullcrap they pull on other platforms. We do not accept lazy rushjobs even from Nintendo, as evident in the sales of Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

PrincessSugoi

^Since Squeenix announced the multipart deal (which I can only assume was done to get the game out faster), I've become pretty optimistic we'll get FFVII Remake for the launch window of the next home console.

If we ever get a release date for KH3, having the first two main Kingdom Hearts games make their first Nintendo appearance in a Bayonetta like package would be a pretty sweet deal in the port department.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

Bolt_Strike

I love how people completely ignored my idea about the next Mario game to talk about 3D World for the 70th time.

Bolt_Strike

NintendoFan64

@Bolt_Strike Look, I could go on to arguing with you about how it's ridiculous that you call 3D World stale despite not playing it, and despite the fact that Galaxy 2 brought arguably less to the table, yet you keep saying that Galaxy 3 should happen, but instead, I will say this: Could you please PLAY 3D World? Just...give it a try? You might like it! It's not stale, it has some interesting ideas (like 4-player in a 3D Mario title and the Captain Toad levels)...look, the reason people keep talking about 3D World when you bring it up is because you keep putting it in a negative light...despite not even playing it, yet you act like you know everything about the game. To be completely honest (and I don't mean to be rude), this "judging-a-book-by-it's-cover" attitude you have...it's kind of annoying. It's not exactly a good attitude to have.
Edit: And just to make sure that I actually have something positive to say in this post (I feel as though a lot of my posts in the forums were just me arguing with people), I looked at your idea, and...I thought it was a little interesting. Have some more branching paths, a tiny bit more room for exploration...I could see it working. Though I don't really think it needs the Galaxy branding.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Bolt_Strike

@NintendoFan64 Thing is that Nintendo refuses to change the core formula which has been done to death already. We've had 6 games, 5 of them in a row, which were generic Mushroom Kingdom games, had minimalist generic kidnapping plots, had no defining gameplay element or unique feature, were linear platformers that required you to get to the end and go from one level to the next in order. And the fact of the matter is that things like 2D vs. 3D and the gimmicks and minor features you keep mentioning are much less defining than these things, so we're well past the point where those kinds of gimmicks freshen up the gameplay, that's like trying to build a wall of pebbles to stop a tidal wave. Bottom line is that there's no reason for me to even bother with a game that refuses to change the elements I listed in meaningful ways, the games feel waaaay too repetitive by keeping them the same.

Also, the reason behind the Galaxy branding is to draw in collectathon fans and promote the game as one. Perhaps it's not necessary, but it makes perfect sense and helps players understand the idea.

Bolt_Strike

NintendoFan64

@Bolt_Strike Alright...suit yourself. You seem to have your mind set on this, so...fine. If you're not even going to give the game a chance, then I'm just not even gonna bother.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

T_Bag_McCoy

If I could have any 5 Games Launch with NX they would be, Nintendo vs. Capcom, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Nintendo Kart, Okami 2, and Final Fantasy 15.

T_Bag_McCoy

MienfooManchu

Here's my five! I registered just so I could respond.

1. Non-Galaxy 3D Mario
2. Metroid
3. EA NHL '17
4. Immersive Amiibo Game
5. "Wii Sports" ie- Capitalizing on the NX's unique features.

MienfooManchu

arojilla

Splatoon 2
Bayonetta 3
Witcher 4
Fallout 5
GTA 6

arojilla

friktion321

First party titles? I'd be super impressed if Nintendo pumped out 5 titles at launch for the NX. But here's my list anyway.

1) Zelda Wii U/NX - I think we are all expecting this, right?
2) Mario Galaxy 3/Mario 64 2 - PLEAAASSSEEEEEE
3) Metroid 2D/3D - Seriously, when was the last time we received a proper one of these games?
4) New franchise showing off NX specific features
5) Pokemon Z - crossing over between the handheld and console (assuming we ARE getting the hybrid)

friktion321

Nintendo Network ID: friktion321 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.