Forums

Topic: So NX Is A Home Console Afterall?

Posts 221 to 240 of 286

iKhan

@Ralek85: Well it wouldn't do much for them, but they wouldn't have to support it. It would basically just play VC games, eShop games, and 3DS games.

I don't think it's a particularly good idea, but if it's a home console that costs $150 and launches in July, I don't see any other possibility.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Ralek85

@iKhan: I don't know, seems like a very bad idea from where I stand. Just as with the PSTV, I'm not sure who could even be the target audience of such a device. 3DS games blown up on a TV look horrible, and at $150 bucks it's not exactly a sweet deal. I've seen WiiU basic sets going for around 190€ around here, and at $150 a (N)3DS seems like the way more versatile option. Best case scenario would be that they are cutting into their own 3DS/Wii sales, for a very select few who want to only play "VC games, eShop games, and 3DS games" (thus forgo a couple more bucks for a WiiU), who don't want to own a handheld (for whatever reason), who don't already own both or either devices (and still are interested in Nintendo gams) ... that cannot possibly leave a significant number of potential consumers.
You are missing a crucial point about the PSTV. Sony allows for their content to be used on multiple systems, and since account sharing is not feasible on the Vita (you'd have to switch cards everytime), most people probablyy have licenses left on their psp/vita purchases, so they can use them on a PSTV without any extra cost, plus the device works as a streaming box, even as a "remote" PS4. Nintendo has no such infrastructure and account system set up, and streaming is not that much of an option, at least with games you need a gamepad for (which on top of that, is already a streaming/2nd screen feature).

The $150 part of the rumor makes me believe it's actually phase one of a new fusion console, as in the handheld part of it, with the home console part launched at a later date - at least assuming the price turns out to be true. I still think this sounds way to fishy, the price as well as the speculated shipping and launch dates, but we'll see. A PSTV would be a waste of money and ressources, even more than the PSTV was, which is a neat trick on it's own ^^

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Therad

@iKhan: the 150 dollar rumour was from a blog. A blog with 2 blog posts. And the other talked about diddy kong racing on the wii u. It doesn't seem to have much to stand on.

Therad

rallydefault

iKhan wrote:

What if NX really turns out to be a 3rd pillar micro console like PSTV?

Very possible. I don't know how much it would help Nintendo on the business side of things, though. It would present literally zero appeal to those who haven't already bought into the Wii U or 3DS... which is a lot of people lol

But again, it is very possible due to the "third pillar" dialogue that has been floating around.

rallydefault

cookiex

They used the "third pillar" line with the DS even though it made the GBA obsolete. I wouldn't put much stock in it being an actual third pillar.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

TuVictus

cookiex wrote:

They used the "third pillar" line with the DS even though it made the GBA obsolete. I wouldn't put much stock in it being an actual third pillar.

TuVictus

rallydefault

cookiex wrote:

Ah, really? Interesting. I wasn't really gaming on Nintendo consoles around the DS times, so I didn't know about that. Very interesting, actually...

rallydefault

6ch6ris6

3DS is doing fine (for now but needs an update in the next 2 years or so)
WiiU is struggling hard

NX will be a home console. maybe also a handheld. think the wiiU with way more power and a new3DS like controller that you can take with you and play without the console.

to third pillar topic:
what games will that third pillar play? wiiU? then it wont get any 3rd party support. where is the sense in a thrid pillar device? besides that they also said DS would be third pillar and it was just the next handheld.

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

iKhan

I don't think anyone thinks a third pillar microconsole would be a good idea, just that it's a possibility.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kyuubikid213

@6ch6ris6: The 3DS already got it's update with the New 3DS revision. Even though the Wii U is struggling, that doesn't mean replacing it will fix any of the issues...and (again, if the rumors are to be believed) a system released next year at a $150 price point won't fix any of those issues...or, at the very least, it'd be hard pressed to do so.

Besides, the DS was doing really well compared to the Wii when it was finally replaced with the 3DS. The DS also replaced the GBA when it was doing really well. I think this alone points to the NX being a handheld or a "third pillar" system more so than a home console.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Peach64

With every new rumour, the idea of NX being some kind of android box type device seems more likely to me. A box that can plug into your TV, and a tablet, both sold separately, both playing the same games.

Peach64

AceDefective

Peach64 wrote:

With every new rumour, the idea of NX being some kind of android box type device seems more likely to me. A box that can plug into your TV, and a tablet, both sold separately, both playing the same games.

I actually really like that idea, I just hope Nintendo can make it viable for more than just their games....
Probably not.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

WebHead

@ZeroZX-Dev: well if it emulates Android it'd accommodate Indies much better.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

WebHead

@rallydefault: yeah it really sounds like it's gonna be a repackaged Wii U with some new gimmick and can emulate Android software.

WebHead

6ch6ris6

@kyuubikid213: the New3DS is not the next nintendo handheld. it is just a new revision. like the gameboy colour was to the gameboy or the gba sp to the gba or the ds lite and dsi to the ds. is that really so hard to understand???

ONE exclusive new3DS game. ONE. and not a single other has been ever announced

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

WebHead

@6ch6ris6: Lightspeed and binding of Isaac say hello.

But yeah I don't think New 3DS is the next handheld. I think the successor for that will be a $150 Android based gaming tablet.

WebHead

6ch6ris6

@WebHead: what's lightspeed? never heared of that.

wow binding of isaac. a game that came out over 4 years ago. lmao! what a great "exclusive" new3DS game

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

skywake

Peach64 wrote:

With every new rumour I'm becoming more and more certain that nobody has even the slightest idea what it is

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.