Forums

Topic: So NX Is A Home Console Afterall?

Posts 181 to 200 of 286

cookiex

Therad wrote:

@iKhan: according to digitimes it will begin production in may and start shipping.july.not to consumers mind you.

If the system itself is heading to mass production in May then it's definitely going to retailers in July/August.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

iKhan

@arronishere:

No, a lack of power and high cost due to the presence of a convenience feature. At least the gamepad had SOME gameplay applications. Being able to take console games on the go has almost none. And you can bet that they can't make a hybrid that's more powerful than the PS5 for an affordable price.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

iKhan wrote:

No, a lack of power and high cost due to the presence of a convenience feature. At least the gamepad had SOME gameplay applications. Being able to take console games on the go has almost none. And you can bet that they can't make a hybrid that's more powerful than the PS5 for an affordable price.

That's working on the basis it's trying to be a "gamers" console like the non-existent PS5 and the same mistake of Ninty did of trying to make out the Wii U to be a "gamers" console when it clearly wasn't, there's already 2 consoles doing that with full 3rd party support and the solution isn't trying to copy them but to do something different.

You're also working on the basis it'll be a watered down home console rather than a HD handheld that can be played on the telly as well.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

NintendoFan64 wrote:

No offense, but if you really think it's going to be released that early, despite us knowing nothing about it, you're kind of being a bit delusional. Also, 20 million? When the Wii U hasn't even reached 10 million until 2.5 years after launch? That's being a bit too optimistic.

No offense, but if you think Nintendo is going to ride the sinking ship of the Wii U any further than 2016, you're kind of being a bit delusional.

@DreamOn
I agree. I mean, that one Miyamoto E3 interview could basically be titled as, "Why the Wii U failed." Even Miyamoto made it pretty darn clear that the Wii U will soon be behind them, they learned a few lessons, and soon it is time to move on.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

iKhan

@arronishere:
I have no idea what you mean by a "gamers" console. "gamers" is a broad and difficult to define term, and the Wii U sure as hell isn't a casual console.

I'm operating under the assumption that consumers buy new generation game systems that offer new experiences to them. And it is. The Wii succeeded without increased power because motion controls were a novel idea that promised new experiences. The SNES offered superior 16-bit gameplay.

An HD handheld that connects to the TV could work in the niche handheld market, but it won't compete well in the console market for the reasons I just explained. So Nintendo would essentially be putting all their eggs in one niche basket.

I see no reason why they couldn't put a mini-HDMI port on their next handheld, but they need to make a home console too.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Ralek85

@iKhan: It's more or less the same thing, why would they announce an announcemet for 2016 in 2015, only to announce something in 2016 for 2017 ... all the while creating confusion and uncertainty for themselves and their products, like the WiiU (which will not be helped by any of this of course). Not to mention that 2017 would be very, very late for them to launch anything ... it's a holiday 2016 launch, like it's always has been an always will be. You don't launch consoles in the summer and you don't miss the pre-christmas business either, that is just that frankly.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

NintendoFan64

@rallydefault Okay...think of it this way: Do you really think that Nintendo would release it that early? Without even showing us what it looks like? Or any of the games for it? After third-party developers have just recently been shown it, meaning they probably wouldn't have any games ready at launch? And about a month after it most likely is shown at E3? And that they'd be willing to alienate potential buyers by throwing the people who DID buy a Wii U under the bus?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Ralek85

@arronishere: Plenty of people seem eager for Nintendo to go third-party and support e.g. Playstation. By that logic, if the NX could complete with the PS4 and X1 in terms of performance, and if for some reason the installbase would take off, bringing all that vaunted 3rd party support with it, plus all those Nintendo exclusives and polish, why would that be a bad thing?
The problem seems not to be that such a approach cannot work, but that at this point in time, it would be hard to get it going, starting from scratch. The only time being all that unique and "innovative" really worked for them in their history, was that magical Wii-moment, something they have been chasing ever since, with abysmal success.
Also Microsoft tried something like that by being all about entertainment not just games, "snapping" stuff, bundling the kinect in, creating a "unique" framework for entertainment and all that fluffy PR stuff. Unfortunately not even the U.S. managed to find any enthusiams for such experiments, and that system was tailored to that market ... Sony did the exact opposite, and it worked well for them sales wise. Now, Micrsoft been pivoting to the same approach (plus price cuts) for two years now, and they managed something that could soon be considered a comeback of sorts.
If your takeaway here is that only blue ocean strategies can work in terms of consoles (for Nintendo), I'd say that that is a curious conclusion.

cookiex

NintendoFan64 wrote:

@rallydefault Okay...think of it this way: Do you really think that Nintendo would release it that early? Without even showing us what it looks like? Or any of the games for it?

There's like 12 months between now and then for them to do that.

After third-party developers have just recently been shown it, meaning they probably wouldn't have any games ready at launch?

Sony began shipping out proper dev kits for the PS4 roughly a year before launch. Shouldn't be much of an issue if Nintendo starts shipping dev kits this month or the next.

And about a month after it most likely is shown at E3?

If it's launching in July/August you can expect a reveal early next year. Like February at the latest.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

NintendoFan64

cookiex wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

@rallydefault Okay...think of it this way: Do you really think that Nintendo would release it that early? Without even showing us what it looks like? Or any of the games for it?

There's like 12 months between now and then for them to do that.

After third-party developers have just recently been shown it, meaning they probably wouldn't have any games ready at launch?

Sony began shipping out proper dev kits for the PS4 roughly a year before launch. Shouldn't be much of an issue if Nintendo starts shipping dev kits this month or the next.

And about a month after it most likely is shown at E3?

If it's launching in July/August you can expect a reveal early next year. Like February at the latest.

Okay. But I just don't see it happening that early.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

jump

Ralek85 wrote:

@arronishere: Plenty of people seem eager for Nintendo to go third-party and support e.g. Playstation. By that logic, if the NX could complete with the PS4 and X1 in terms of performance, and if for some reason the installbase would take off, bringing all that vaunted 3rd party support with it, plus all those Nintendo exclusives and polish, why would that be a bad thing?
The problem seems not to be that such a approach cannot work, but that at this point in time, it would be hard to get it going, starting from scratch. The only time being all that unique and "innovative" really worked for them in their history, was that magical Wii-moment, something they have been chasing ever since, with abysmal success.
Also Microsoft tried something like that by being all about entertainment not just games, "snapping" stuff, bundling the kinect in, creating a "unique" framework for entertainment and all that fluffy PR stuff. Unfortunately not even the U.S. managed to find any enthusiams for such experiments, and that system was tailored to that market ... Sony did the exact opposite, and it worked well for them sales wise. Now, Micrsoft been pivoting to the same approach (plus price cuts) for two years now, and they managed something that could soon be considered a comeback of sorts.
If your takeaway here is that only blue ocean strategies can work in terms of consoles (for Nintendo), I'd say that that is a curious conclusion.

The Nintendo plus 3rd parties argument doesn't work for me, just look at the Gamecube and the DS was huge with it's gimmick. You're also confusing my use of the word different to mean gimmicky, when I mean a different I mean console with a different prupose to the other dedicated hardcore console like the Wii was to the 360 and PS3.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

NintendoFan64 wrote:

@rallydefault Okay...think of it this way: Do you really think that Nintendo would release it that early? Without even showing us what it looks like? Or any of the games for it? After third-party developers have just recently been shown it, meaning they probably wouldn't have any games ready at launch? And about a month after it most likely is shown at E3? And that they'd be willing to alienate potential buyers by throwing the people who DID buy a Wii U under the bus?

Well think of it is this way...not everything needs to operate around E3. Nintendo already started bucking that trend two years ago when they nixed their live E3 conference.

Come on! Where's your sense of excitement?! This is exciting! Even if this rumor turns out to be not true or not their next home console (or maybe the "console" turns out to be something totally unexpected), at least it's Nintendo up to their old tricks and trying something different or shaking things up.

Also, people need to stop with this whole "18 months isn't long enough to develop a game." That is just factually false. A decent-sized dev team can certainly produce a game in 18 months. That's 1.5 years. And if the architecture is anywhere similar to Wii U, PS4, or Xbox One (in other words, if it's not something completely out in left field), development can (and maybe already has) be started right away. And that's just third parties. Nintendo's probably been hard at work on its own NX titles for awhile now, including the next Zelda.

rallydefault

iKhan

arronishere wrote:

iKhan wrote:

@arronishere:
I have no idea what you mean by a "gamers" console. "gamers" is a broad and difficult to define term, and the Wii U sure as hell isn't a casual console.

I'm operating under the assumption that consumers buy new generation game systems that offer new experiences to them. And it is. The Wii succeeded without increased power because motion controls were a novel idea that promised new experiences. The SNES offered superior 16-bit gameplay.

An HD handheld that connects to the TV could work in the niche handheld market, but it won't compete well in the console market for the reasons I just explained. So Nintendo would essentially be putting all their eggs in one niche basket.

I see no reason why they couldn't put a mini-HDMI port on their next handheld, but they need to make a home console too.

You don't need to @ me everytime single time you post something.

Your assumptions wrong, people don't buy consoles for new experiences they by it for new games and chances are Ninty's basket from now on will be mobile gaming, it's the main reason their stock is doing well despite a poor E3 and both the Wii U and 3DS underpreforming.

Sorry still getting used to the existence of the reply button.

No, otherwise companies would just re-release the same system over and over again under new names, and release games exclusively for the "new" platform.

"Software sells hardware" is a mantra that, while accurate to a degree, is often over-applied to the industry. Yes, impressive new games will bring people to your system, but generally, people are steadily less impressed by the ideas possible on a particular set of hardware as time goes on (ideas are used and become old instead of new; think of how Twilight Princess's graphics were received at launch vs. today). So new hardware is brought along to re-impress audiences. Look at the PS4, it literally sold for 1.5 years on the promise of impressive new experiences.

The mantra really better applies within a generation. People looking for a new experience have a choice of system, and game library tends to motivate the purchase of one or the other, or of a second purchase.

iKhan

I suppose I do mean "better experience"

Grumblevolcano

If the rumour is true and it's a proper console then I expect there will be no more Wii U games after GIR#FE. Releasing that in January 2016 and then console reveal in February.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

Ralek85 wrote:

@iKhan: It's more or less the same thing, why would they announce an announcemet for 2016 in 2015, only to announce something in 2016 for 2017 ... all the while creating confusion and uncertainty for themselves and their products, like the WiiU (which will not be helped by any of this of course). Not to mention that 2017 would be very, very late for them to launch anything ... it's a holiday 2016 launch, like it's always has been an always will be. You don't launch consoles in the summer and you don't miss the pre-christmas business either, that is just that frankly.

It wasn't an official announcement. Nintendo has always made a console's official announcement the year BEFORE it launches.

IceClimbers

Grumblevolcano wrote:

If the rumour is true and it's a proper console then I expect there will be no more Wii U games after GIR#FE. Releasing that in January 2016 and then console reveal in February.

Nintendo really needs to give us a proper name for that game

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Zelda U is still coming. Also, didn't Iwata say that they wanted to continue the support for Wii U even after the NX has launched? There's more to come for the Wii U in 2016.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Octane wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Zelda U is still coming. Also, didn't Iwata say that they wanted to continue the support for Wii U even after the NX has launched? There's more to come for the Wii U in 2016.

I'll believe it when I see it, even regarding Zelda U still coming to Wii U if the NX is a proper console. If it isn't then Wii U and 3DS will be lasting longer than 2016.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralek85

arronishere wrote:

The Nintendo plus 3rd parties argument doesn't work for me, just look at the Gamecube and the DS was huge with it's gimmick. You're also confusing my use of the word different to mean gimmicky, when I mean a different I mean console with a different prupose to the other dedicated hardcore console like the Wii was to the 360 and PS3.

I'm a bit unclear on what you're saying here. Which gimmick was huge on the DS, and how does the Gamecube figure in? Also, I'm completely unclear on your notion of "different purpose", because if you're not talking about a gimmick/feature like motion-control or 2nd-screen, and not about a X1 approach - of a general "entertainment" device (TV, streaming, music, games etc.) - then what are you talking about? ^^

iKhan wrote:

It wasn't an official announcement. Nintendo has always made a console's official announcement the year BEFORE it launches.

I don't know man, did they ever scrap a system after 4 years, and launched a new one in the midst of the current console cycle? Also, Reggie did basically announce it, obviously they are not ready to show it yet. and make it offical, since they are probably still working on the "finishing touches" so to speak, but anyways, at the risk of repeating myself, I think the key in all of this is time!
They didn't have time for a normal development, production and announcement cycle and outside a small, or to be honest, a friggin huge miracle, a 2017 launch will spell certain doom. Even if they manage to stay more or less competitive, within like 3 years they will face new generation of consoles once more, and what are they going to do then? They are in a really bad spot with this, and every months they loose, is putting them deeper into that hole.
Furthermore, it's not like you need to have 2 years inbetween presentation and launch, neither X1 nor PS4 ahd any such luxury if I recall correctly.

Edited on by Ralek85

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.