Forums

Topic: So NX Is A Home Console Afterall?

Posts 101 to 120 of 286

Kuhang

Well well well what do we have here...

"The Diddy Kong Racing 2 project was moved over to new hardware that will be launched in 2016. The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company fears that it would be market suicide to release another overly expensive box in the middle of a console generation, when most consumers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU"

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

WebHead

I kinda hope that's nor true. If this is the case the console would be barely more powerful. But it matches miyamotos comments

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Kuhang

This is very interestIng...Going by this the NX is going to be like a little more powerful Wii U, redesigned without the gamepad by doing so they are cutting off a huge chunk of production value, hence the lower price tag. This could also mean the NX could go the New 3DS way also meaning it will not be x86 architecture and and it will be backward compatible. It could be something like the NX and Wii U playing same games with NX having better graphics and few other exclusive games to it. Hmmm...

Edited on by Kuhang

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

jump

$150 sounds way too low for a home console, that would make it cheaper than the Wii U currently is (I'm not sure on the US pricing though) I suppose it could be the hyrbid thing though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

6ch6ris6

if that rumor is true, i have no idea what nintendo is doing here.
this does not sound good for me

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

WebHead

If this is true then Zelda u is most likely cross gen. IF.

WebHead

Inkling

Well, it would mean NX is a third pillar. I highly doubt that NX will be their 9th Gen platform, just another 8th Gen console.

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

Sean_Aaron

@Kuhang, others, I had a similar thought. There are people thinking that the next system Nintendo releases will be more powerful than the the Wii U, but in fact there's little reason to believe that will be the case. The only reason that Nintendo would have to follow Microsoft and Sony would be if they thought they could take market share away from them; it's pretty clear that this isn't going to happen given the lack of 3rd party support for Wii U and given their core IP clearly doesn't appeal sufficiently to consumers of Playstation and Xbox consoles enough to sell their machine alone. Given they make most of their money off of software, not hardware, having an install base with a low attach rate for first party software doesn't seem like something worth taking a risk on.

What Nintendo seems to be more concerned about is kids today playing games on smart devices - this is a bigger, medium to long-term problem for them and is why they have a mobile deal with DeNA, but it also makes sense to have a system that sits between a 3DS and Wii U in processing power and has a single-screen, tablet format and can run other software (Android) via emulation so that it can compete directly with midrange tablet devices, but be more clearly aimed at younger kids who play games. Wii U would continue to be supported as a "high end" system - as long as software sales warrant it, until the NX platform could scale sufficiently at the same price point to replace it.

I can't see any reason not to take this path: existing controllers are Bluetooth, so they can work with the new kit; just build in a sensor bar a la Gamepad to play Wii and other games via emulation (as Android software may be supported) and have an HDMI-connected module to allow streaming to TV. If successful Nintendo gets to break with the traditional console dev cycle, reducing hardware dev costs and streamlining software development, plus ensuring an ever-increasing software library via a combination of emulation and built-in backwards compatibility.

It's a lot lower-risk than other options, but it will annoy people who have rigid ideas of what a games console is and want to see Nintendo release a gaming PC.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

NintendoFan64

Uh...no.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

WebHead

Inkling wrote:

Well, it would mean NX is a third pillar. I highly doubt that NX will be their 9th Gen platform, just another 8th Gen console.

Yeah I could see this. Plus I'm not sure if a $300-400 Nintendo console launching in 2016 could do well. Would the software be ready? Would ps4, xbone, or PC players care? Wouldn't Wii U owners be really mad?

WebHead

Platypus101

This forum is full of wishes... Really? 150$ console? What year was it that we had a 150$ launch price on a console? Also, with all the whining and complaining that the Wii U is underpowered, why would Nintendo bother re-releasing a Wii U with no Gamepad and hardly any updates? Also, you're taking the word of a guy who doesn't work for Nintendo in any way. He's a Moby games flunky... Really? He has the juicy inside bits that actual working devs don't? Please. He needs to be relevant in some way, so, he posts rumors.

Platypus101

dumedum

Therad wrote:

Wow, that sounds plausible! I mean, $149 target for the console, with diddy kong racing as a launch title and they can use Wii U dev kits because Nintendo won't upgrade the hardware.

I agree. I think it is (theoretically) very plausible and excellent news. Diddy Kong Racing makes a lot of sense because it's like Mario Kart popular but not Mario Kart per se which will be bad after such a short time from the Wii U version. If they go the price route and somehow keep the Wii U going for a little while, it's great news. Will it happen? I doubt it because of the comments made regarding Metroid - it doesn't seem likely, but it could have been a great idea for Nintendo.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

WebHead

Another thing: the reality is Nintendo can't compete with Sony and ms on their terms. So if Nintendo is going to be niche/secondary, may as well do it affordably.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

Platypus101 wrote:

This forum is full of wishes... Really? 150$ console? What year was it that we had a 150$ launch price on a console? Also, with all the whining and complaining that the Wii U is underpowered, why would Nintendo bother re-releasing a Wii U with no Gamepad and hardly any updates? Also, you're taking the word of a guy who doesn't work for Nintendo in any way. He's a Moby games flunky... Really? He has the juicy inside bits that actual working devs don't? Please. He needs to be relevant in some way, so, he posts rumors.

I agree, $150 is ridiculous for a console, more than likely it would even be weaker in power than the Wii.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Yeah.. that's not going to happen.

Octane

Therad

dumedum wrote:

Therad wrote:

Wow, that sounds plausible! I mean, $149 target for the console, with diddy kong racing as a launch title and they can use Wii U dev kits because Nintendo won't upgrade the hardware.

I agree. I think it is (theoretically) very plausible and excellent news. Diddy Kong Racing makes a lot of sense because it's like Mario Kart popular but not Mario Kart per se which will be bad after such a short time from the Wii U version. If they go the price route and somehow keep the Wii U going for a little while, it's great news. Will it happen? I doubt it because of the comments made regarding Metroid - it doesn't seem likely, but it could have been a great idea for Nintendo.

I was sarcastic. If that is their target, they could just make the gamepad optional. Someone is trolling.

Therad

erv

Nx is a controller for your ipad.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

IceClimbers

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Platypus101 wrote:

I agree, $150 is ridiculous for a console, more than likely it would even be weaker in power than the Wii.

Umm, no. At $150 it would still be HD, and a little bit more powerful than the Wii U easily. Most of the Wii U's cost comes from the GamePad.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.