Forums

Topic: NX aparantly not as powerful as PS4 rumour. Discussion on good/bad things this could mean.

Posts 361 to 380 of 384

IceClimbers

@iKhan: Indeed. A more recent example would be the Kid Icarus series, which apparently had a couple of different games being "worked on" before Uprising came along. My source for that would be an upcoming Unseen64 video.

What gives this rumor a little more credibility is the fact that what it describes - one platform that has a handheld SKU and a console SKU that share an OS and a lot of its games, essentially an ecosystem, is exactly what Iwata himself said Nintendo should be looking to a year or two ago.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

Ok, there's one thing that makes me question this entirely.

"Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Electronic Arts already have devkits. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, F-Zero, and Metroid are in development..."

Sonic? The rumor didn't say anything about Sega having a devkit. This means that either a) Sega does have a devkit and just wasn't listed, b) Sega doesn't have a devkit and I just found the contradiction that proves this false, or c) Nintendo is developing a Sonic game. God I hope it's c.

AJ_Lethal

parallaxscroll wrote:

sorry if this was already discussed. It doesn't even qualify as rumor, but on NeoGAF a member posted information about NX, originally in Italian, from someone who says he has sources inside NCL. Very easily could've been completely fabricated. That said, an interesting read.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177463814&post...

• He's under strict NDA with Nintendo Japan
  • Informations are from march 2015, with some updates from june-july
  • He received a bunch of patents (some of them are publics now), info about what Nintendo is planning and a list of games potentially in development (some of them may or may not have been cancelled), third parties included
  • NX is a platform, not tied with a single device
  • Wii U is still in the picture thanks to good software results for games like Splatoon, will still be the main home console in 2016
  • 3DS is a bit old, they're planning of replacing it. Some games will still come out on it, but big projects are being moved on portable NX
  • With NX, Nintendo wants to create a platform where they can develop software for multiple devices with ease, from the home console to the portable to smartphone and tablets. They'll have a big catalogue available for multiple platforms, with cross buy, cross saves and cross play, similar to what Microsoft is doing with Xbox One and PC thanks to Windows 10 (that allows to play many Xbox games on PC, which is also getting a bunch of ports from Xbone). Each platform will still have exclusive games
  • NNID is tied to the single device, but it will allow to share details between platforms, like friend list, contents, local coop games, etc. Thanks to the new membership program (the successor of Club Nintendo), we'll benefit from the new Nintendo policies in terms of rewards
  • They'll show the portable in spring 2016, will be out for the end of the year or spring 2017 max. Specs will be higher than PS Vita but nothing mindblowing, screen resolution should be 540p, considering 720p if costs go down. BC with 3DS was problematic
  • Wii U successor will not have an optical drive, which will be optional. It will sync with the portable (not obligatory). Specs won't be super high, but close to PS4/X1 (doesn't know how much, like with the portable this is still subject to change anyway). Cross games will look better on the home
  • Nintendo is focusing a lot on the anti-piracy system
  • Big focus on the OS as well. They hired people that worked for Google on Android, the guys who worked on the Gamecube OS and Wii U browser are there too. Optimized versions of the same OS for every NX platform (think, again, W10), each with its set of specific functions. Updates will come out at the same time, they're focusing on making the OS blazing fast on every platform
  • The home console can connect with the portable to send to it its own version of the games you buy, will use the same tech as the Wii U-Wii U Gamepad streaming to do that, or the internet connection
  • The home will have bc with the Wii U. Gamepad should be compatible as a controller, considering selling it standalone. Can connect with the portable for offtv and bc. WiiMote compatibility is being considered too. As for support, since the new home won't have an optical drive, they're considering an external one. Also being considered NNID/eShop bc for titles bought on the eShop. Seems they're considering digital games sharing too, but this bit is not perfectly clear
  • The portable will have its own internal memory, which will be expandable
  • There will be a complete overhaul of online infrastructures, but Nintendo is determined to hold successful operations as Miiverse, extending it even further and making it a central hub for communications by developers and a meeting place for players. It will be even more interactive with the ability to upload videos and screenshots in an integrated system and not dependent on the game
  • Voice chat and interactions between users will be revisited too, much will depend on the users age though, to protect the minors
  • The home will be out 6-12 months after the portable, creating the "NX system" that will allow Nintendo to better use their resources in games development
  • They approached third parties during E3. Capcom, Square-Enix, Ubisoft and Electronic Arts already have devkits. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, F-Zero and Metroid are in development, doesn't know if these are main episodes or spin offs. Zelda is currently a Wii U only title due to high development costs, but they can reconsider to have another big game at NX launch
  • Prices will be low, 200-300€ (for the home?), considering a bundle with both for no more than 500€
  • Many of these things will be discussed in future Nintendo Directs, which will have a different host in every market if Nintendo can't find a new CEO by october
  • A new 3D Mario will be shown, along with a new Zelda trailer. Retro moved their project on NX, will not be unveiled before 10-18 months
  • They'll talk about a new "Club Nintendo", which will be in full function with NX
  • Considering making agreements with phone carriers in order to better manage applications like Miiverse, Club Nintendo and the ability to purchase software by phone. Some of these will be out by March 2016
  • Is everything set yet? Yes, but with Nintendo you'll never know. If he has updates he will share them with us.

that sounds really damn plausible

Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers wrote:

Ok, there's one thing that makes me question this entirely.

"Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Electronic Arts already have devkits. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, F-Zero, and Metroid are in development..."

Sonic? The rumor didn't say anything about Sega having a devkit. This means that either a) Sega does have a devkit and just wasn't listed, b) Sega doesn't have a devkit and I just found the contradiction that proves this false, or c) Nintendo is developing a Sonic game. God I hope it's c.

Yeah, there's several missing pieces of information here. Like I pointed out earlier, they say the console doesn't have an optical drive without elaborating on what that means. Is it digital only or does it use cartridges? It could mean that they simply couldn't get that information but I have a feeling it's fake and they just didn't account for those things.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

vio

@parallaxscroll: Wow! That was interesting... If that was all fabricated, it was very well done!

I just hope that if the NX(console version?) is not as powerful as the PS4, it's at least VERY close. Nintendo really needs a console that's on par with the PS4 and Xbone specs wise. I'm not a graphics elitist at all, but I'm really tired of the "Nintendo's consoles are underpowered junk!" cries you hear in the gaming community.

Edited on by Eel

"Tingle is the very reincarnation of a fairy!"

skywake

Everything said pretty much lines up with what I've been thinking. Even some of the less popular ideas I've had about it. Like the talk about optical drives and such actually lines up precisely with what was said in the patent. That there'd maybe be SKUs with or without it and that it may just be optional. It all adds up pretty well IMO.... well, except for these two:

NX is a platform, not tied with a single device

This one, mostly because I was under the impression from what Iwata said that the NX was a dedicated piece of gaming hardware. Not an ecosystem. That said the idea of how it all ties in? The thought that the portable will launch first followed by a home console soon after? That's what I've been thinking they'll do for a long while. Again because of what Iwata was saying about how their future platforms would work. And maybe I'm being pedantic here, but when I thought that the portable was always "the NX" and the home console was some other codename....

NNID is tied to the single device, but it will allow to share details between platforms, like friend list, contents, local coop games, etc. Thanks to the new membership program (the successor of Club Nintendo), we'll benefit from the new Nintendo policies in terms of rewards

This one makes me really sceptical. Again, maybe something is lost in translation. Maybe what they mean to say is that your NNID can only be tied to one product in the same tier. Not unlike how you can't have your NNID across two Wii Us ATM. But tied to a single device? The NNID is supposed to be a universal account system. Its not even tied to just a single device now!

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@Bolt_Strike: Well, I imagine if they did go for an ecosystem that shared most games, they'd have to give up the optical drive unless they force you to get the NX handheld version digitally. Both the console and the handheld would use some sort of high capacity cartridge most likely. The optional external optical drive is interesting though. Would that be for BC with physical copies of Wii U games?

One big missing piece of information though is the NX console's main controller. That's never mentioned at all. They mentioned the ability to sync with the NX handheld, as well as BC with the GamePad and possibly the Wiimote.

Nicolai

Something about this seems very believable; it reminds me of the kind of posts people make when they end up being right. I'm excited to hear that Zelda U is staying on Wii U, though I'm a bit nervous about those "complete overhaul of online infrastructures." They could decide to make it a new service, which can mean two things. 1) They started charging by the month (which I don't plan on paying for), and 2) They will end the Nintendo Network service a few years after the new service kicks in, like they did with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, and games like Splatoon will become useless.

Wii U successor will not have an optical drive, which will be optional. It will sync with the portable (not obligatory)...
As for support, since the new home won't have an optical drive, they're considering an external one.

That's a pretty weird thought process for Nintendo, saying it definitely won't have an optical drive, but is still iffy on whether or not an external solution would work. Wouldn't those problems be decided in tandem with each other?

skywake wrote:

NNID is tied to the single device, but it will allow to share details between platforms, like friend list, contents, local coop games, etc. Thanks to the new membership program (the successor of Club Nintendo), we'll benefit from the new Nintendo policies in terms of rewards

This one makes me really skeptical. Again, maybe something is lost in translation. Maybe what they mean to say is that your NNID can only be tied to one product in the same tier. Not unlike how you can't have your NNID across two Wii Us ATM. But tied to a single device? The NNID is supposed to be a universal account system. Its not even tied to just a single device now!

My guess is that he misspoke, considering the home and the portable as a single device, and saying that NNID can only be shared between your single NX combo.

The big question on my mind is: what's the gimmick? Sure, cross-buy is convenient, and lacking an optical drive is cheap, but what's going to change the way we play? Nintendo loves doing that!

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

skywake

Nicolai wrote:

My guess is that he misspoke, considering the home and the portable as a single device, and saying that NNID can only be shared between your single NX combo.

I'm assuming so. Especially given this pair of slides from a while ago which I thought made it pretty clear. Litterally explaining the difference between how the transition from the previous generation to this one worked. Where each device had its own isolated "account".
Untitled
and then detailing how they expect it to work for the transition to the next generation of portables/home consoles. With a single NNID shared across Wii U, 3DS and their successors. Presumably with shared friends lists, purchases, MiiVerse and so on. The 3DS/Wii U relationship is already part way there, all they were talking about is making it more elegant.
Untitled

.... so when this rumour says "NNID tied to a single device"? Either something was lost in translation or they're completely buggering up what the NNID was supposed to be doing.

Edited on by skywake

IceClimbers

@Nicolai: When they say "complete overhaul of online infrastructures," they mean an overhaul of Nintendo Network to make it more seamless, integrated, and just overall better. As Iwata put it, their current network services look like patchwork as they were developed separately with different goals in mind, rather than one overarching goal that has multiple parts like pretty much every other network out there.

iKhan

Just for the record, plausible =/= likely. What is much more likely is that this "anonymous tip" is made-up, but it was done so by someone a little smarter than usual.

I mean, many of us recognize all these "leaks" as plausible, so I see no reason why any of us couldn't have come up with this list as well.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

@iKhan:
Pretty much. Although at the very least I'd argue that this list is a pretty nice compilation of what my thoughts were until now. So it's got that going for it. Which is nice.

Nicolai

skywake wrote:

Either something was lost in translation or they're completely buggering up what the NNID was supposed to be doing.

Yeah, or all of this is bogus. Though the document this guy typed up is pretty long; he's bound to have made a few mistakes. None of the mistakes are glaring, anyway; they just look like misunderstandings someone might have come up with after talking to a bunch of people.

Still, the glaring question, where's the gimmick? I'm certain there is one, and you'd think someone that close to development would know what it is by now. The way I see it, either the guy didn't want to get in serious enough trouble as to spoil the big surprise that Nintendo wants to reveal next E3, or the guy who fabricated this couldn't think of one that was believable.

@IceClimbers: Still, whether or not its a new system, they're making major changes, and I hope it doesn't mean they start charging per month and cutting off games. Online connectivity isn't THAT important to me. But it would be rad if Splatoon stayed online and free for decades, as long as it has the popularity.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

erv

I think there are two bits lost in translation related to this speculation. One in this list, about nnid tied to a single device - the whole point of a better online infrastructure is not needing to do precisely that. The second, though, could be the statement made by the late and great iwata. “NX is new hardware” could’ve easily been “NX is all about new hardware” or anything of the sort.

Most of the list makes sense, especially the roadmap for the portable and the followup console device. With nintendo looking to not have 2 separate userbases, like they have now with portables being different from home systems entirely, the roadmap looks like a doable plan that makes converging the two as seamless as can be.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

Nicolai wrote:

Still, the glaring question, where's the gimmick? I'm certain there is one, and you'd think someone that close to development would know what it is by now. The way I see it, either the guy didn't want to get in serious enough trouble as to spoil the big surprise that Nintendo wants to reveal next E3, or the guy who fabricated this couldn't think of one that was believable

Or Nintendo is being careful about what information is going out to developers and others. Stuff like online infrastucture and tech specs are kinda hard to keep hidden. Developers need to know about that sort of stuff so they can build the core game around it. But more specific details than that like the "big gimmick" of the system? Unless they're building a game specifically to take advantage of it or it's something radically different it's not something they're going to tell everyone.

Nicolai

skywake wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

Still, the glaring question, where's the gimmick? I'm certain there is one, and you'd think someone that close to development would know what it is by now. The way I see it, either the guy didn't want to get in serious enough trouble as to spoil the big surprise that Nintendo wants to reveal next E3, or the guy who fabricated this couldn't think of one that was believable

Or Nintendo is being careful about what information is going out to developers and others. Stuff like online infrastucture and tech specs are kinda hard to keep hidden. Developers need to know about that sort of stuff so they can build the core game around it. But more specific details than that like the "big gimmick" of the system? Unless they're building a game specifically to take advantage of it or it's something radically different it's not something they're going to tell everyone.

Really? I would think that Nintendo would want as many developers as possible taking advantage of the new gimmick, especially if it's a part of the system they're required to code for. I mean, each 3rd party Wii U launch title had to use the game pad, and a few even went outside the box and made something that wasn't always a map, like Zombie U. I'm sure most big developers know what the gimmick is, if there is one.

Got married.

JoyBoy

So I guess we'll know if it's all true or not by October?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

cookiex

Mahemoth wrote:

So I guess we'll know if it's all true or not by October?

The first thing to look out for would be the new membership system that's going to be revealed by the end of the year. If the details match up, I would believe the rumor.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Therad

DarkmarkUnited wrote:

@Therad: Again, still wrong. In Japan, Dragon Quest 10 was released in Japan for the Wii U using... UE4. Btw, I meant to say that it maybe would have similar specs compared to the PS4.

I am wrong to say that third parties themselves have to port the engine to wii u? I have a hard time following you logic.

Therad

IceClimbers

Looking at that rumor again, I realized why there was an issue with the Sonic thing. The companies listed as having a devkit already are referring to the ones who got a devkit coming out of E3, as the previous sentence mentions Nintendo shopping the NX around to 3rd parties at E3. Sega wasn't at E3. That's why they weren't listed. They most likely would have gotten a devkit soon afterwards.

Anyways, one thing I noticed is that a lot of the vague info or straight out missing pieces of info are about the NX console, which would actually make sense considering that the console would be coming later than the handheld according to this rumor.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.